We'll Always Have Seoul...Or Not?

Shelton Bumgarner

Jun 22, 2007, 3:22:45 AM6/22/07
I've begun to frequent MySpace a bit and just for kicks I looked at
the folks in the Seoul area using the service. I was a bit shocked -
these people seem to be having a significant amount more fun than I
am.

Or is there some reality bending Law of MySpace that bends time and
space so that with the proper editing even the most boring person
actually looks, well, cool. Also, I've never seen any of these people
before. I know Seoul is a big place and all, but the expat community
here is small enough that most folks you see floating around you feel
like you've seen before unconsciously in the crowd.

Again I have to notice that MySpace is America's answer to Korea's
Cyworld. The same thing is going on - it's the content equivalent of
nodding your head in acknowledgement as you walk past someone on the
way to class in college. You don't really have to think, you just see
the person's MySpace account and know instantly what's going on in
their life. In Korea, of course, people tend to post pictures of food
on their "mini-hoppy."

So, in that respect, we've entered the "post content" phase of
Web....content. Maybe one day, we'll have wetware that is directly
jacked into our minds and we'll all know how our friends are doing by
simply thinking about them. I just hope Microsoft doesn't provide the
linking software. It would really suck if you had to "reboot your
mind."