Chicago loses second postmaster in seven months

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 15, 2022, 3:44:45 PM1/15/22
Chicago post office, which included several dozen stations and branches,
has been a disaster for a long time. Postmaster of Chicago was once a
prestigious and important position, especially given that it included
the world's largest postal processing plant.

With the plant expansion in the '80s and '90s, Chicago got a second
plant. With major plant contraction, Chicago lost both postal plants but
retains the BMEU.

There has been a carrier shortage for years. I think there's a clerk
shortage but I don't know. COVID made a bad situation worse.

The previous postmaster didn't stop the labor shortage. I'm not sure
what the most recent one was supposed to do but he didn't turn the
situation around in the short time he was here. They sent him back to
Kansas City.

I'm sure the next one won't reverse the trend either.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-chicago-usps-postmaster-out-20220115-ab66oyrnsnhu7drowymw2pdum4-story.html

It would be nice if we could get this newsgroup going again.

danny burstein

Jan 15, 2022, 4:21:54 PM1/15/22
In <srvbnr$flb$1...@dont-email.me> "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> writes:

>Chicago post office, which included several dozen stations and branches,
>has been a disaster for a long time. Postmaster of Chicago was once a
>prestigious and important position, especially given that it included
>the world's largest postal processing plant.

For some definition of "world's" that ranks up
there with the one used by Major League Base Ball
when it describes the "World Series".

While I don't have access to the figures, I wouldn't
be surpsied if Japan and China had larger ones.

dan...@panix.com

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 15, 2022, 5:42:55 PM1/15/22
danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:
>"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> writes:

>>Chicago post office, which included several dozen stations and branches,
>>has been a disaster for a long time. Postmaster of Chicago was once a
>>prestigious and important position, especially given that it included
>>the world's largest postal processing plant.

>For some definition of "world's" that ranks up
>there with the one used by Major League Base Ball
>when it describes the "World Series".

>While I don't have access to the figures, I wouldn't
>be surpsied if Japan and China had larger ones.

In the 1930s through the 1960s? I don't see how that's possible.

The postal network was changed from railroad to highway in the 1960s and
I don't know if Chicago processed as so much more mail than at other plants
after that, especially once suburban processing plants were added.

danny burstein

Jan 15, 2022, 5:55:17 PM1/15/22
In <srvild$7u0$1...@dont-email.me> "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> writes:

>>when it describes the "World Series".

>>While I don't have access to the figures, I wouldn't
>>be surpsied if Japan and China had larger ones.

>In the 1930s through the 1960s? I don't see how that's possible.

Ah, I thought you were referring to nowadays... Sorry

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 15, 2022, 6:11:03 PM1/15/22
danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:
>"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> writes:

>>>when it describes the "World Series".

>>>While I don't have access to the figures, I wouldn't
>>>be surpsied if Japan and China had larger ones.

>>In the 1930s through the 1960s? I don't see how that's possible.

>Ah, I thought you were referring to nowadays... Sorry

Definitely not after the second plant for Chicago was built on the
O'Hare Airport campus, next to Air Mail Facility. The AMF isn't a plant
any longer either, more like a pass-through facility to get mail onto
the airfield. It's mostly used for international air mail, and the
adjacent plant for military mail.

The whole Chicago area is down to two plants; there were once 11 in the
1990s.