Back in the newsgroup

Mike Cox

Dec 20, 2020, 4:31:16 PM12/20/20

Hi I’m back in the newsgroup again.
I’m Mike Cox
I’ve been wondering how everyone has been doing here at alt.smokers.pipes
I got really busy with running a String Instrument repair shop, doing
violin and guitar work.
At one time I was working part time in a Tinder Box, where I learned about
fine pipes, hand craftsmanship and the great tobaccos available then. The
mall that the shop was in decided that they wanted to not renew the lease,
that particular location was closed...
I’ve seen some posts from people I used to chat with here and would like to
touch base with the people in the newsgroup.
Merry Christmas and and Great New Years for everyone!
Currently smoking a Dunhill Group 6 shell Canadian with some very well aged
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia flake

Casey Tuggle

Jan 4, 2021, 2:13:12 PM1/4/21
Hi Mike! Welcome back!

Mike Cox

Jan 4, 2021, 9:27:48 PM1/4/21
Casey Tuggle <troub...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mike! Welcome back!
Thanks I’m hoping that people would still be on here, because Twitter is
turned into a dumpster fire.
Smoking a Dunhill gr 5 Apple with some McConnell’s red Virginia. A little
bit sweet and nice, but it can get a little hot!

Daniel

Jan 18, 2021, 5:03:27 AM1/18/21
I mostly lurk and post every so often. Welcome back.

--
Daniel

Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world

Gareth Walsh

Jan 26, 2021, 12:15:04 PM1/26/21
Hi Mike,

Good to see you coming back. I too used to be active on here, though a looooong time ago. I got sidetracked by life, but continued smoking and enjoying fine tobaccos. About to spark up some Solani White & Black in a big old Northern Briars poker.

Daniel

Jan 27, 2021, 4:12:59 AM1/27/21
It sounds an awful lot like the Tinder Box in Citrus Heights, CA at
Sunrise Mall. I MISS that place... ALOT.

Mike Cox

Jan 27, 2021, 10:11:58 PM1/27/21
No I used to work in Columbus Ohio but I used to hang out in Santa Monica
on Wilshire boulevard and talk to Ed Kolpin (RIP) when he was in the mood
to talk, which wasn’t very often. Ed had the most amazing memory of people
and names that I’ve ever known. I used to go to California quite a bit
because of the guitar and music business. I’ve got friends and relatives
out there too.
One thing I really miss is that the T Box would give great discounts on
nice pipe’s. And as well some of the bulk blends were really quite decent.

The New Year so far has been at best ok, but things are not going back to
the real normal.
Sadly I do miss the freedoms that we had back then to travel.

Anyway tonight’s pipe is a old Ropp that is a good one, quite large and
they usually are quite small pipes, this ones a keeper. Tobacco is a blend
I came up for Craig Tarler (RIP) called Stratfordshire which was a
replacement for Dunhill Standard medium with a bit more Turkish Izmir than
the standard mixture. The current Peterson variant is not exactly as the
Dunhill blend, certainly not as I have some very old cans that I’ve
stashed. I’m actually surprised to see that smoking pipes carry’s it. I’m
fairly certain that the current version of Cornell and Diehl is perhaps
better than it was way back when.

Have a great weekend ahead and I’m going to be on here fairly often as I’ve
got rid of all the social media bs accounts I’ve had lately.
Thanks everyone here!