Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Dismiss

Yesterday's Smoke

36 views
Skip to first unread message

Kurt Weiske

unread,
Apr 13, 2023, 7:49:23 PM4/13/23
to
Erinmore Mixture in a Peterson Bulldog. One of my favorite smokes from
the mid '90s. It's been rainy for some time now, yesterday the weather
was in the high 60s and sunny.

I opened up my tupperdor after 6+ months of storage and some of my
tobaccos had gotten moldy -- my Peterson Irish Flake and a ersatz
Dunhill Mixture 965 in a ziploc bag are long gone. The press-top,
rectangular tins appear to be more susceptible, but the round, screw-top
tins all looked good - Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture and Early Morning
Pipe.

My trusty Bentley butane lighter/tamper still had gas in it, and lit on
the first try. I prefer using a Zippo with a pipe chimney, but I need to
refill it every time I use it.

kurt weiske | kweiske at realitycheckbbs dot org
| http://realitycheckbbs.org
| 1:218/700@fidonet





... Emphasize repetitions
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Win32 NewsLink 1.114
* realitycheckBBS - Aptos, CA - telnet://realitycheckbbs.org

Tim Daneliuk

unread,
Apr 14, 2023, 5:10:05 PM4/14/23
to
On 4/13/23 08:55, Kurt Weiske wrote:
> I opened up my tupperdor after 6+ months of storage and some of my

Consider using glass storage containers like Ball jelly jars.

Plastic containers, even with snaptops, are air permeable. A
glass canning jar with a gasket type lid and ring is almost
completely not so. I've stored tobak for years this way
without mold or other nasties.


Kurt Weiske

unread,
Apr 15, 2023, 1:55:59 PM4/15/23
to
To: Tim Daneliuk
-=> Tim Daneliuk wrote to alt.smokers.pipes <=-

TD> Consider using glass storage containers like Ball jelly jars.

TD> Plastic containers, even with snaptops, are air permeable. A
TD> glass canning jar with a gasket type lid and ring is almost
TD> completely not so. I've stored tobak for years this way
TD> without mold or other nasties.

Good idea. I'm storing less tobacco now, so a large glass jar should fit
them all. The problem is getting large round tins to fit.


kurt weiske | kweiske at realitycheckbbs dot org
| http://realitycheckbbs.org
| 1:218/700@fidonet




... ZIMA TASTES BETTER WHEN IT'S ILLEGAL

Tim Daneliuk

unread,
Apr 16, 2023, 12:50:05 PM4/16/23
to
On 4/15/23 11:58, Kurt Weiske wrote:
> Good idea. I'm storing less tobacco now, so a large glass jar should fit
> them all. The problem is getting large round tins to fit.

If the leaf is in an unopened tin, it's a non-issue - leave it that way.

If the leaf is in an open tin, dump the contents into a glass
jar as described. Seal it with a gastketed top, remove the label
from the tin, and use wide packing tape to adhere it to the
glass jar.

Tim Daneliuk

unread,
Apr 16, 2023, 1:01:04 PM4/16/23
to
On 4/15/23 11:58, Kurt Weiske wrote:
> so a large glass jar should fit
> them all


I probably wasn't clear. I'm not saying to put everything into
a glass jar. I'm saying that each different blend should get
it's own glass jar with a gasketed top for long term storage.
A jelly jar will hold about 2oz. A large canning jar will
hold anywhere from 8-16oz of leaf. Unopened tins should
be left alone, but once you open them, transfer to a glass
jar immediately.

Tim Daneliuk

unread,
Apr 16, 2023, 1:01:05 PM4/16/23
to
On 4/15/23 11:58, Kurt Weiske wrote:
> so a large glass jar should fit

Casey Tuggle

unread,
Apr 17, 2023, 9:09:54 AM4/17/23
to
On Thursday, April 13, 2023 at 7:49:23 PM UTC-4, Kurt Weiske wrote:
> Erinmore Mixture in a Peterson Bulldog. One of my favorite smokes from
> the mid '90s. It's been rainy for some time now, yesterday the weather
> was in the high 60s and sunny.
>
> I opened up my tupperdor after 6+ months of storage and some of my
> tobaccos had gotten moldy -- my Peterson Irish Flake and a ersatz
> Dunhill Mixture 965 in a ziploc bag are long gone. The press-top,
> rectangular tins appear to be more susceptible, but the round, screw-top
> tins all looked good - Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture and Early Morning
> Pipe.
>
> My trusty Bentley butane lighter/tamper still had gas in it, and lit on
> the first try. I prefer using a Zippo with a pipe chimney, but I need to
> refill it every time I use it.

In either event, Kurt, I am sorry to hear about the loss. I recently lost some good cigars due to an airflow problem in my cabinet humidor so I know that sinking feeling. Last night I moved around my aging jars and tins and everything looked okay. After reading this message, I'm going to take a closer look this evening.

I had a good bowl of Early Morning Pipe on Saturday out of my trusty Ascorti "2004 Pipe of the Year" travel pipe. Very satisfying.
0 new messages