For 9 years I worked in a factory that made chlorine. I was gassed so
many times my lungs are now bleached white. In fact, I only smoke so I
can get some color back into my lungs.
Anyway, you will get your taste back, it will just take a little time.
The combination of chlorine and the ammonia in the cat urine can produce
a lethal gas, but you got out of the room, and you survived. Just give
yourself some time and you will be fine.
Jim the NewbieŠŽ
"Jim the Newbie", and all parts of are protected by copyright and trademark
laws under U.S. and international law.
Š 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 All Rights Reserved
Mary M. Leary <mle...@tds.net> wrote in article
LOL! That sounds like good solid reasoning to me.
Don't you believe him. He recently told us he was not only quitting the
job, but the state :-)
I made myself sick a couple of years ago cleaning the toilet with bleach. As
I stood over it I took a dose of the chlorine gas in my lungs before I
realized what was going on. I felt quesy for almost 24 hours and was
coughing alot but did get better. I think you will get better too.
"Mary M. Leary" <mle...@tds.net> wrote in message
So now is the time to open up that tin of Erinmore tobacco!
I just had a terrible thought, Janneman. Imagine a totalitarian state,
with the makers of Erinmore in league with the Junta. We'd all be forced
to sniff chlorine as babies to adjust our senses to the vile weed.
The plot continues: Carlos, a rising but idealistic plain clothes
policeman, stumbles upon a crowd of rebels clandestinely smoking Barbary
Coast in the basement of an Internet cafe. He tries a bowl and
sympathizes, but is betrayed by his beautiful, though very cold fiancee
Louise Murray (who's getting discenchanted with him, anyway). Murray, of
course, is a part-heir to the Erinmore fortune and... oh well, you can
make up the rest yourself.
While on the off-topic of ruining one's taste buds ...
Just think: Coca-Cola has an extremely powerful world-wide lobby. And,
could it be merely a coincidence that McDonald hamburgers are starting
to taste better and better to many people around the world, even the
French? I think you've hit on something here, Janneman and Martin: a
fiendish plot whose ultimate goal is the world-domination of Erinmore,
not merely Coca-Cola and McDonald's. That's just a cover. We're on a
very slippery slope here, and, frankly, I'm terrified.
In this case, you've inadvertently mixed chlorine with ammonia - a
well-known mistake made deliberately by homekeepers for years. Next time,
try an intermediate cleanser first - maybe even just a lengthy water rinse,
before applying the bleach.
Your smell and taste will return to normal shortly. You can assist in your
recovery by drinking lots of fresh water, and breathing in the open
(relatively) clean air...
And be careful next time, please!
"Mary M. Leary" wrote
It'll pass, but I'd suggest finding a different method of sanitizing
the feline facilities in the future.
I won't suggest the vinegar bit... cats don't like vinegar (I have
used that as a house training tool in the past, when a cat has
mistaken plants, carpets and clothes for the litter pan. Eliminates
the odor so the site won't be used again, and the first day or two the
vinegar smell will repell the cat.), but it does work well if you have
the luxury of being able to air out the litter pan for about a week.
I've used Spic and Span (but I don't think that's on the market
anymore) and Pinesol products in the past. I won't guarantee that I'm
not getting myself in chemical troubles there, mostly I try to clean
often enough to avoid the amoniating process to get too advanced.
(That and two pets is about maximum allowed by our own assessment
here.) Anyway that I've cleaned a litter pan, I've had to use very
hot water and good thorough rinsing.
Do you have a cattery, by chance? I'll ask around with the rescue
bunch to see if they have any good ideas...
Well thanks guys for letting me know that I will survive. I can't
imagine working with this stuff on a regular basis. LOL on the
bleached white lungs! Mine must be white now too. It has been 24 hrs
and I can still taste and smell it but hope by tomorrow it is gone as
I received an ebay new L'Anatra over the weekend that is calling me!
Erinmore huh...uh no thanks I think I'll pass. Oh yeah and no the cats
stay but the question is will they go near the fumes around their
boxes?? Probably bleached out their tiger stripes on their fur, poor
babies! not puffing, Mary
mccr...@yahoo.com (Katea) wrote in message news:<94a38bb0.03010...@posting.google.com>...
Are you better? I hope so.
"Mary M. Leary" <mle...@tds.net> wrote in message
Two products are pet friendly, even friendly enough for folks with
Simple Green really surprised me, as I've been very fond of Simple
Green for some heavy duty car type cleaning. (O.k. so I can't say as
I actually read the bottle, just followed the directions a friend gave
me and went from there... so I'll read next time I'm out in the tool
shed.) That's cool. One less cleaning product to buy!