Schulte's Pipe Shop in New Jersey

Fg...@ix.netcom.com

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

In 1966 I bought my first non drugstore pipe from Max Schulte. It was
a natural Algerian Briar. I paid $5.00 for the pipe and spent many
years talking to Max and watching him work. I was fortunate to go down
to the basement where Max would mix his blends in a tub run with a
washing machine motor. Max was a mechanic as well.

So now 31 years latter I still think of Max and all that he taught me.
Where are the Max Schulte's today?

I would love to share information with anyone who remembers Schulte's.

Fred

Mark Tinsky

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

In article <332ddba5...@news.seanet.com>, lra...@lraisch.seanet.com
(Larry Raisch) wrote:

>I too have fond memories of Schulte's, though I never had quite the

I was fortunate to meet someone who knows of MAx Schulte and prbably
everyone else who s ever don e business on the East Coast. His name is
Michael Gold , a pipe collector from NYC. I met him at the Past NY pipe
show. This man has been around and knows the stories! I asked him during
our conversation if he knew what became of MAx and his pipes, He said Max
is still in the area, doing well and even in the phone book. He said his
famous pipe museum was bought by a collector when the store was closing.

I was getting into the pipe business as Max was leaving it.He still had his
shop in Maplewood. He sold me a wood lathe for a very reasonable price as
he didn t need it anymore and gave me lots of tips and information. He was
a big help and a wonderful man. I d love to be able to track him down and
get his story, We ve all heard alot about legendary European pipemakers
but we had some great ones here too; Max Shulte, Andre Mermet and Joe
Cortigone. I d love to see more info and stories about them. If anyone has
them please post. MT

--
Web Site http://AmSmoke.com
HC 88 Box 223

Chris Esser

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

On Mon, 17 Mar 1997 13:16:47 -0500, Kingsqueak butchered a quote by
Fg...@ix.netcom.com ,:

>In 1966 I bought my first non drugstore pipe from Max Schulte. It was
>a natural Algerian Briar. I paid $5.00 for the pipe and spent many
>years talking to Max and watching him work.

I wish his shop were still around...I recently visited the DiFranco
shop near Trenton (C&S Pipe), and it was such a throwback as far as
the inventory was concerned. What a great little old time shop!
Really nice guy too. He evidently made custom pipes there too, and
made one for Bing at some point. He had a letter from him on the
wall.

I was wondering...in my search so far, the best greeting I've had here
in Jersey has been either at DiFranco, or The Westfield Pipe Shop.
What are the other recommended stops in Jersey? I'm having a hard
time finding shops that aren't largely Te Amo Cigar dominated news
stands.

Others I have visited:

The Tinderbox - Red Bank *** he's getting better
huge cigar selection HUGE
Wanamassa Smoke Shop - ** very old tin inventory, with
"old" prices too. Old (80+) owner is a "priceless"
character. Old yellowed stems everywhere.
John David Ltd - *** chain store in Menlo Park Mall good
selection of wood, prices a bit high..not much tinned
tobacco though, just bulk mainly.
C.B. Perkins - ** very small in Bridgewater Commons mall
decent selection of wood..Pete systems for $95 though!
have 965 (from Dunhill too) in bulk...a bit dry though
The Red Pipe - * in Red Bank prices o.k...catalog shapes only
many Yello-Boles , Grabows etc. and how can a shop
with four or more people working with one customer
take soooo long to come to the counter to ring up let
alone bother to assist. not my favorite.....sold me a
pipe so low in grade I nearly quit smoking too!
De La Concha - **** in NYC 6th at 57th great staff! great
selection of everything, and prices in accordance with
a Manhattan address. Not unreasonable though at all.
Arnold's - *** Madison Ave NYC really nice high end Jacopos,
CAO's, Radices etc. stuffy staff, and Madison Ave
pricing all the way. Tobacco selection average.
Davidoff - * somewhere in Manhattan....if your suit is stiff
enough to fit in here.....you can have it. Poor
selection...ridiculous pricing. Park Audi in front.
The Pipe or Mr. Pipe - ** Freehold Raceway Mall nice
people, but the pricing is too high for my taste.
They have a Tinsky at about $100 markup over
what it would cost direct....hmmm make your own
decision on that. Hardly any tins there either, and
mostly aromatics in bulk (not my taste anyway).
Smoke shop in Seaview Square Mall - ** nice guy, light on
selection of tins but not bad. The wood is almost
exclusively low grade though. They are toughing it
out in a truly down trodden mall though. Too bad.

If you have any to add to this list please do, not very many shops in
this area apparently, and that is odd for this area. Usually, we have
too many of everything here.

___________
Chris Esser
mailto:KINGS...@worldnet.att.net
mailto:KINGS...@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/krstnpiper/ <Stressed? Smoke a bowl.>

Larry Raisch

Mar 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/18/97

I too have fond memories of Schulte's, though I never had quite the
good fortune you did of being admitted to the inner sanctum. I was
told about the store by a coworker, (the only good thing that ever
came out of that job!) and eventually got around to visiting. It was
absolutely amazing how many pipes were in that store! I first bought a
smaller pear shape with very good birdseye grain for $35 as I
remember. It turned out to be an excellent smoker and brought me back
to eventually buy two more pipes, a billiard and an author shape. Both
straight grained and superb smokers. They are still among my
favorites, despite Castellos, Dunhill, Charatans, etc. I also tried
some very good tobaccos there, but sort of lost touch when we moved to
Seattle. On business trips back east, I would visit and sample some
more tobaccos. I was very disappointed one time, when I found a tackle
store in place of a great old tobacconist. Someone did say that Max's
son was the Dunhill repair person these days and had moved down south.
If that's true, I wonder if he kept any of those excellent pipes! I
believe he was the kind gentleman who stripped the finish from one of
my GBD's when I was careless enough to damage it. I have since been
able to get a decent color in the bowl and a carnauba wax finish which
makes it almost as good looking as new. I've always been grateful for
that kind of personal attention shops like Shulte's seemed to
specialize in. BTW, whatever happened to the Brick Church pipe store,
or the fellow down in Rocky Hill? Does anyone know?

On Mon, 17 Mar 1997 13:16:47 -0500, Fg...@ix.netcom.com wrote:

>In 1966 I bought my first non drugstore pipe from Max Schulte. It was
>a natural Algerian Briar. I paid $5.00 for the pipe and spent many

Fg...@ix.netcom.com

Mar 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/18/97

Glad to hear that you too remember Max and Schulte's! Brick Church
Pipe Shop was in East Orange NJ and moved in the 70's to The Short Hills
Mall in Short Hills, NJ. When the mall was redone the store changed
their name to "The Brick Church Collection" they sold cigars and some
very nice sweaters.....Alot of history there also gone away. When the
shop was in East Orange I spent lots of time there and tried every
tobacco they had (they had alot).
The store in Rocky Hill is "John David Ltd" now of Menlo Park
(Woodbridge) New Jersey. Nice selection of pipes and bulk blends.
Don't much care for their English Blends. It's a beautiful store nice
cigar selection but not SCHULTE'S ! :)
I guess I'm going to have to open a store of my own, sell Algerian
Briar pipes and Hand Blended tobacco.....and oh you get the idea. I
wonder if I can get Syrian Latakia and Algerian Briar.

Regards,

Fred

hadt...@aol.com

Aug 28, 2014, 9:19:24 AM8/28/14
On Monday, March 17, 1997 4:00:00 AM UTC-4, Fg...@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> In 1966 I bought my first non drugstore pipe from Max Schulte. It was
> a natural Algerian Briar. I paid $5.00 for the pipe and spent many
> years talking to Max and watching him work. I was fortunate to go down
> to the basement where Max would mix his blends in a tub run with a
> washing machine motor. Max was a mechanic as well.
>
> So now 31 years latter I still think of Max and all that he taught me.
> Where are the Max Schulte's today?
>
> I would love to share information with anyone who remembers Schulte's.
>
> Fred

Hello Fred, Max was my Cousin. I use to go to his shop in Newark,N.J. on Springfield Ave. During the 1950's he also sold hobby items. Model cars,boats and planes. After the Newark riots, Max moved his store to Maplewood, N.J. Herb

JtN ©2014

Aug 28, 2014, 2:28:29 PM8/28/14
Wow ... I knew that usenet was slow at times but for it to be holding onto a post for over 17 years before coughing it up and actually posting it is crazy.

JtN ©2014

Jim Beard

Aug 29, 2014, 10:53:34 AM8/29/14
The original post was On Monday, March 17, 1997 4:00:00 AM UTC-4, but the
reply was On Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:19:24 AM UTC-4.

Google Groups, or some such.

Cheers!

jim b.

--
UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
expects users to be computer-friendly.

JtN ©2014

Aug 29, 2014, 12:22:43 PM8/29/14
FYI ... back in 1997 it was Usenet and later became Dejanews Usenet and then became what it is today Google Groups but at the core of it all its still Usenet.

JtN ©2014

John Fury

Aug 29, 2014, 12:38:25 PM8/29/14
Talk about a bumped thread!! Yowza!!! Wonder if the starter is still with us?

Furious

BARRY BARRY

Feb 13, 2023, 11:18:14 PM2/13/23

BARRY BARRY

Feb 13, 2023, 11:21:10 PM2/13/23

Casey Tuggle

Feb 21, 2023, 11:06:24 AM2/21/23
On Monday, February 13, 2023 at 11:21:10 PM UTC-5, BARRY BARRY wrote:
> On Monday, February 13, 2023 at 11:18:14 PM UTC-5, BARRY BARRY wrote:

> > > Hello Fred, Max was my Cousin. I use to go to his shop in Newark,N.J. on Springfield Ave. During the 1950's he also sold hobby items. Model cars,boats and planes. After the Newark riots, Max moved his store to Maplewood, N.J. Herb

I love reading this history! I'm glad these conversations are here for reference. I was not even smoking a pipe until six years after this thread began. Great stuff.

hardcrackers

Feb 21, 2023, 5:15:51 PM2/21/23
Casey the archives are a fount of information for researching pipe history and pipe smokers of the near past that we have lost contact with remembering friends, their humor knowledge and wisdom.
Ron Hardcrackers Ward
Smoking a MM straight Let Freedom Ring cob filled with my sample of L.J. Peretti 432 that James Stumbo on YouTube sent me. Stumbo Family Gathering is on Tuesday evenings as a live chat on YouTube. James is a very kind man living with his family and pets in Kentucky in a large cabin he built. I get tickled watching them.