Gawith Hoggarth/Sam Gawith the next McClellands?

Eric Kristian

Jun 10, 2021, 8:06:11 AM6/10/21
Good morning,

I placed an order yesterday for some SG Special Flake #4 and GH Bosn Cut Plug (I know, I know, a sucker for soapy punishment).

I've been thinking about stocking up more of the offerings from these two tobacco houses. There was an article recently in England about how Great Britain seeks to be smoke free by 2030; at least, that's the goal.

The domestic market is big for GH/SG - if that shrinks or disappears, do you think it's going to have an effect on their exporting to other countries? How much of the business needs to erode before they call it a day?

Worried about that, I figure the best action is to buy and cellar what I can when I can.

Thoughts?

Jim

Jun 10, 2021, 9:42:53 AM6/10/21
I need to inventory my stockpile, but guesstimate I have 30
or 40 500-gram bags of G&H, mostly Sliced Brown Twist, Sliced
Black Twist, Dark Flake, Coniston Cut Plug, Rum Flake, and
other traditional tobaccos of similar ilk, plus a few more
pounds of twist (unsliced) and Curley Cut.

Add to that maybe 30 pounds of tobaccos by GL Pease, C&D, and
others, and I may have enough tobacco to last me as long as I
live. I may live longer than expected, though, as my mother's
side of the family had a Great-Aunt that made it to 102. I am
coming up on 75, and expect possibly 5 to 10 more years to
match life-spans of my direct paternal ancestors, from Charley
Beard b. 1792 New York downward.

I do keep buying a few pounds every couple or three years though,
as my top favorites are consumed and the lesser lights continue
to age. After maybe 7 years or so the taste does tend to
diminish in intensity, so that may need consideration.

There is a PIPESMAGAZINE.COM discussion that may interest you.
It all goes in one long url.

https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/samuel-gawith-eu-and-brexit.
82866/page-2

Cheers!

jim b.

--
UNIX is not user-unfriendly, it merely
expects users to be computer friendly.

Travis

Jun 18, 2021, 4:32:30 PM6/18/21
Jim B, et al.
I mean this with the greatest respect.This is not a flame, but a
testimony of a life-experience.
Your mileage may vary
I had a nice little cellar of, like, 20 - 25 lb of various blends I
loved. Then came 'the great move' predicated by my wife.
Our 'Senior Community' did not allow smoking. Since I've become kind'a
used to sleeping next to Wifey (53 years) I sold off my better pipes
on ebay and sold much of my cellar on a pipes forum (Brothers of the
Briar.)
The tobacco went for pennies on the dollar, but at least I feel
'someone' will appreciate it.
All I have left, strangely, is about a pound of SG "Firedance Flake"
that wouldn't sell.
Jim, don't know how old you are, or your circumstances, but beware -
you could be 'smoke free' (like it or not) before you know it!
Do I miss my briars and the joy of pipe smoking? Fuck yes!
Still have some shag and a couple of pipes around if'n I should wander
off the reservation (like to my daughter's for a visit.)
Rambling, but confession is good for the soul, they say.
Peace, and smoke 'em while you can!
Travis

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 13:42:50 -0000 (UTC), Jim <jim....@verizon.net>

hardcrackers

Jun 21, 2021, 6:21:40 PM6/21/21
Travis I told my friends on YouTube Pipe Community YTPC Professor Jeremiah's Zoom meeting mostly guys in the UK and the states about you having to move into Senior Center that it was non smoking and that you had to sell most of your pipes and tobaccos. In unison they let out a collective groan.
Ron smoking Ross's Tasty Kake in a Lane era Charatan's Make Belvedere Banker.

Eric Kristian

Jun 22, 2021, 3:26:20 PM6/22/21
That's a healthy amount of 'baccy...sounds like what my cellar wants to be when it grows up!!

Eric Kristian

Jun 22, 2021, 3:27:59 PM6/22/21
Travis.....I feel your pain. That must be really hard not having your plentious blends and pipes around.....Sorry to hear of it.

Travis

Jun 24, 2021, 10:40:29 PM6/24/21
Well, It was one of those things. After 53 years of sleeping next to a
woman, you'll do unspeakable things (like give up your briars and
'baccy) to stay with her. She wanted, really wanted, to move to the
senior community. Man's gotta do, etc.
I've kept a couple of pipes and a stash of PS Bullseye Flake...
prehaps when I jump the reservation...
Non-smoker since early November. Still miss it.
Travis

Jim

Jun 25, 2021, 10:09:05 AM6/25/21
On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 22:40:22 -0400, Travis wrote:

> Well, It was one of those things. After 53 years...She wanted, really
> wanted, to move to the senior community. Man's gotta do, etc.
> I've kept a couple of pipes and a stash of PS Bullseye Flake... prehaps
> when I jump the reservation...
> Non-smoker since early November. Still miss it.

Circa 1993 I was in Hay-On-Wye in Wales, described as the largest center
for secondhand books in the entire world, looking around for books on
pipes I would be interested in at a price I could afford.

I mentioned to a shop owner my purpose, and on a tangent he told me he
had given up smoking (cigarettes) over 20 years ago, and had not smoked
one since. Not a day went by he did not want to light up and enjoy a
smoke.

He had a small handful of pipe books, all either ones I already had or
that were of no interest to me.