Meerschaum pipe

Kyle Grennen

Oct 23, 2021, 10:35:16 AM10/23/21
I recently bought a new, carved meerschaum pipe from an auction. Of course I couldn't put in my mouth and try it. When I got home and tried to puff it, I found the air hole was not all the way through to the bowl!! Is there a way I can poke/drill/ whatever to get the hole all the way through to the bowl?

Bob Ramstad

Oct 23, 2021, 1:14:39 PM10/23/21
On Saturday, October 23, 2021 at 7:35:16 AM UTC-7, tkyleg...@gmail.com wrote:
> I recently bought a new, carved meerschaum pipe from an auction. Of course I couldn't put in my mouth and try it. When I got home and tried to puff it, I found the air hole was not all the way through to the bowl!! Is there a way I can poke/drill/ whatever to get the hole all the way through to the bowl?

It'll really depend on your own personal tolerance for risk, how handy you are, and if there is already a partial hole drilled that is lined up correctly, just that there's a bit of an obstruction in the bowl area.

It happens occasionally that people coat bowls with material to protect the bowl and then they don't take the time to make sure the draft hole is clear, as an example.

I have a set of "airplane length" drill bits -- they are four or five inches long -- in different sizes. I've had some success just using them by hand, starting with a small one, after removing the mouthpiece. Simply place it down the shank into the draft hole, and twist it a little bit by hand. You may find that it makes a satisfying thunk and whatever bit of obstacle is in the way is cleared. Work your way up to the diameter of drill bit that is the same as the part of the draft that is in the shank.

Now, all that said, if the pipe was literally never drilled out, you need a professional to do that, at the very least you need a bench press, vise, and good measurement technique, perhaps calipers. Depending on what you paid, it may not be worth it to hire someone to do the work.

You say "air hole not all the way through to the bowl" so I'm assuming that most of the draft hole is there, it starts in the shank but doesn't get all the way to the bottom of the bowl, so long drill bits, by hand, should work, if you are patient... just hope that the "craftsman" did a good job of lining things up, and failed to clear the draft hole, and that the draft hole is in a good spot once you get it opened up.

Good luck!