Dunhill Seconds

Marc

Jan 22, 2003, 7:00:37 PM1/22/03
I couldn't sleep last night, so I lit up a GBD rhodesian with some Hal O'
the Wynd and started to peruse Ehwa's book, "Pipes and Tobaccos." A piece of
paper I was using as a bookmark was a print out from the esteemed pipes.org
article on seconds. According to this page Dunhill's seconds are Parker,
Hardcastle,and Savory's Argylle.

I have some GBD second lines and love them. The finish is good, the fit
ain't too bad and most smoke as well as the top of the line.

I hear about the mystique of Duhnill, the oil curing, the engineering, the
quaility, etc, ad. ifinitum.
My question is how second are the Dunhill seconds?
Marc

Martin Farrent

Jan 22, 2003, 7:23:27 PM1/22/03
Es schrieb Marc:

> My question is how second are the Dunhill seconds?

Sorry Marc, but the only candidates for Dunhill seconds are *some*
Parkers - none of the others, as far as I know. Also, there's no way of
knowing whether any particular Parker ever came close to becoming a
Dunhill. Most, I think, were never meant to be anything but a Parker.
That said, Parkers are very good smoking pipes and reasonably priced. I
have 3 Parkers and 6 Dunhills. The top two smokers among these are a new
Dunhill Bruyere and an old (1950s) Parker.

Martin

Sailorman Jack

Jan 23, 2003, 1:13:31 AM1/23/03

>My question is how second are the Dunhill seconds?
>Marc

They are pretty far down the line. As far as I know, almost all Dunhill
seconds were only that in so far as they were produced by a company which was
owned by Dunhill. There were actual seconds which came from the Dunhill
factory; but these were very few compared to the total output of Parker.
Handcastle pipes probably never even got close to the same street on which the
Dunhill factory was located.

Of course, all that was in the past when Dunhill was really a manufacturer and
had seconds.

Fair winds,
Sailorman Jack
Port of New York
"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch." Professor Bernardo De La Paz in
Robert Heinlein's "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress"

Jumpin' J

Jan 23, 2003, 10:09:00 AM1/23/03
I've heard that too - Dunhill seconds being Parker, Hardcastle and
Savory's.

I've got a couple Savory's. While they might have a sandpit, they're
well made. These are older estate pipes and boy do they smoke good!!
(And isn't that what counts??)

John

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 00:00:37 GMT, "Marc"
<drno...@NOSPAMearthlink.net> wrote:

>I couldn't sleep last night, so I lit up a GBD rhodesian with some Hal O'
>the Wynd and started to peruse Ehwa's book, "Pipes and Tobaccos." A piece of
>paper I was using as a bookmark was a print out from the esteemed pipes.org
>article on seconds. According to this page Dunhill's seconds are Parker,
>Hardcastle,and Savory's Argylle.

John Rich
Knoxville, TN

Rufus

Jan 23, 2003, 11:13:09 AM1/23/03
Jack:

About your comments on the fact that Dunhill is no longer "really a
manufacturer." What do you mean?
I have heard from many quarters that Dunhill Pipes were now actually
made in Spain (!) from usually inferior Briar and only assembled in
the UK (so that they can keep up the charade). Is this true? If so,
how do we know this? I.e., who is the source for this information.
I for one, am perfectly prepared to believe it; certainly compared to
other English high quality pipes (Upshall, for example), the recent
Dunhill's seem light and machine manufactured.

Rufus

Da' Bear

Jan 23, 2003, 12:06:08 PM1/23/03
Rufus wrote:
> Jack:
>
> About your comments on the fact that Dunhill is no longer "really a
> manufacturer." What do you mean?
> I have heard from many quarters that Dunhill Pipes were now actually
> made in Spain (!) from usually inferior Briar and only assembled in
> the UK (so that they can keep up the charade). Is this true? If so,
> how do we know this? I.e., who is the source for this information.
> I for one, am perfectly prepared to believe it; certainly compared to
> other English high quality pipes (Upshall, for example), the recent
> Dunhill's seem light and machine manufactured.
>
> Rufus

Dunhill goes to factories, such as Stanwell, and selects a small
percentage of stummels that meet their criteria. From there, they are
taken to England, where they are oil cured and then begin the process of
becoming a Dunhill. (Source, Steve Johnson, Dunhill North America)
The Dunhills that are coming in to my shop today are second to none that
I have seen in my meager 22 years. Excellent drilling, *very* light,
with the blasts showing excellent, almost "ring grain" quality, and the
smoothes displaying better grain than I have seen in decades.

--
Da' Bear
"Unlike the other Vikings, he did not toss the babies into the air and

John Hamilton McGrath

Jan 23, 2003, 1:03:43 PM1/23/03
Ahhhh... ...Hal O' the Wynd in a GBD... Now that 's life:)

Mark, If Dunhill jobs out their pipe production - would those pipes be
"seconds"?

John

==========================
John Hamilton McGrath
Handcrafted Pipes:
http://www.pipe-works.net/
==========================

----------
In article <FgGX9.6893$bL4.6...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "Marc"

dennis womack

Jan 24, 2003, 7:40:59 AM1/24/03

I stole this from Mark Cicero a long time ago.

"There was a shop in England on Argyll Street called
Savory's......they were most noted for their tobacco blend called
"Baby's Bottom". They went out of business about 12 to 14 years ago.
While in business they contracted with a number of pipe making
companies (most notably Dunhill) to buy their seconds and thirds and
have them stamped as their own. So a Savory pipe may have started out
as a Dunhill or Comoy.....but for a variety of reasons was rejected
and went on to become a Savory. They are good smokers, as they come
from good stock, but sold for significantly less than a Dunhill or
Comoy first"

Savory's is now out of business, so they weren't in the line for
seconds like Parker is.

... dennis

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 00:00:37 GMT, "Marc"

Bernie

Jan 24, 2003, 2:59:26 PM1/24/03
"dennis womack" <dwo...@raytheon.com> wrote in message

> Savory's is now out of business, so they weren't in the line for
> seconds like Parker is.

I'm pretty sure that Savoury's was bought by Dunhill. AFAIK all that remains
is the Baby's Bottom blend and then that is if it is the same blend.

--
Bernie
"Nothing is truly random (and vice versa)."