That song that rhymes with "witch"

Sean Smith

Jul 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/2/97

It's somehow reassuring to realize that one is smack dab in the middle of a
veritable, media-recognized National Trend. I read in some major publication ---
maybe it was Timeweek or some such -- how the song "Bitch" has become a
favorite among pre-teen girls, something along the lines of "a playground
anthem."
So the other day, we're riding in the car with our two pre-teeners (7 1/2 and 9
1/2), with the radio set on the station they like listening to; sure enough,
when "Bitch" came on Kirsten and Shalyn sang along, almost word for word. And
they know that "bitch," although its shock value has depreciated, is still
something of a taboo word -- which is why they sang that part of the chorus with
barely concealed glee.
I have little doubt that most of Kirsten's friends probably know the song, too,
and if they have younger sisters like Kirsten does, well, then its popularity is
quite extensive. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Kirsten's Girl Scout
troop were to adopt it as the official troop song.

Now, when _I_ was their age, we didn't have a "playground anthem" with a
dirty word in it. The biggest thrill we had was playing Johnny Cash's "Boy
Named Sue" and speculating what word got bleeped out when he sang "you're
the ****** that named me 'Sue,'" then flipping the 45 over to the other side,
which began "San Quentin/you been livin' *hell* to me..."
And now that I think of it, when our sixth grade chorus did "To Dream the
Impossible Dream," we got to sing the line "...to be willing to march into
*hell* for a heavenly cause..." and the choral director had to tell us not to
emphasize that part so much because it threw off the rhythm (like we really
believed that).

The point? I have only a classic parental phrase: "These kids don't know
how good they got it!"

Sean ("Grumbling old man") Smith
smt...@bcvms.bc.edu
Because some things
can't be helped--http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/6504; Featuring "Daze
and Quirks"--self-indulgent tripe masquerading as literary pretension!
~~~~*~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~*
Endangered species being what they are
The numbers involved would be small;
If the world was full of endangered species
They wouldn't be endangered at all.
--Les Barker, "Bungee Jumping for Lemmings"

Hal Phillips

Jul 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/3/97

Sean Smith wrote:

> And
> they know that "bitch," although its shock value has depreciated, is
> still
> something of a taboo word -- which is why they sang that part of the
> chorus with
> barely concealed glee.

Of course-- as if there were any other reason for the song's
popularity.
Listen to me; I have a degree in this song. Take a quick listen
to the lyrics: she's singing about how she's "a little bit of everything
all rolled into one", so she's a bitch, she's a lover, a child, a
mother, a sinner, a saint... contradiction this and additional
thingamafuck that. All in random order, but bitch comes first. So, she
gets to name the song "Bitch", and it gets shock value, which gives it
popularity. What a smart manager that girl has... I wish he was MY
manager...

And it's amazing how boring this entire post is. I just don't
LIKE it. But if you take the sentence "All in random order, but bitch
comes first." out of context, it's almost something resembling faintly
amusing. Chop off my fingers so I can't type anymore.

Hal Phillips
Will do things for money.
Home Page: http://www.microsoft.com
Birthday Countdown: 6 5 4 3 2 1 Boom!
Obligatory Signature Quote on hiatus.

Stephen Tanner

Jul 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/3/97

On 2 Jul 1997 13:12:00 -0700, ni...@primenet.com (Nick S Bensema)
wrote:

>It was beautiful, that third chorus. Dozens of twelve-year-olds, singing

There is a virus in Zaire, Ebola is its name-o!
E! B! O L A! E! B! O L A! E! B! O L A!
Ebola is its name-o!

SCATOLOGY 101: Fill in the blank.

If Jack helped you off a horse, would you help...?

A rooster clucks defiance, but a lawyer...

HINT: THE ANSWER IS *NOT* "BAZOOMS".

Chuck, chuck, bo-buck, bananarama...TAKE IT, KIBO!

--
Stephen Will Tanner (tan...@aros.net)

James Kibo Parry

Jul 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/3/97

Nick S Bensema <ni...@primenet.com> wrote:

> When I was in the fifth grade, at the beginning of the year they dragged
> the whole school into the cafeteria to watch the sixth graders do some
> school production. They sang the "Bingo" song, but instead of spelling
> out "Bingo" they spelled "Class" for some reason. I forget the words
> they sprinkled around it to make it fit the pattern.

> It was beautiful, that third chorus. Dozens of twelve-year-olds, singing
>
> Did these teachers know what they were doing?

You could reduce that whole posting down to:

"Do teachers know what they're doing?"

or even more:

"Do teachers know?"

or even more:

"Do teach?"

or even more:

"No."

or even more:

"Neh! Neh! Neh! Nurrrr! Nuh! Duh! Doy! Durhey! Leh! Leh! Aggle! Aggle!
Neener! Neener! Doidy! Doidy! Yah! Yah! Yah! Wooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

or even more:

"I like WebTV."

YOUR A-S-S-IGNMENT:
Work in reverse from "I like WebTV.", adding intellectual content as
you go, until you arrive at the smartest sentence ever. Show your work.
Do not actually like WebTV or you will be sent back twenty-nine grades.

> If I remember correctly, we were afraid to laugh because we thought they'd
> "catch on"...

Oh, like anyone ever catches on when we laugh at them in alt.religion.kibology.

You *are* laughing at me, not *with* me, I hope?

-- Kibo was a bozo
and Bingo was a lame-o

tr...@mind.net

Jul 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/3/97

Hal Phillips wrote:
> Listen to me; I have a degree in this song. Take a quick listen
> to the lyrics: she's singing about how she's "a little bit of everything
> all rolled into one", so she's a bitch, she's a lover, a child, a
> mother, a sinner, a saint... contradiction this and additional
> thingamafuck that. All in random order, but bitch comes first. So, she
> gets to name the song "Bitch", and it gets shock value, which gives it
> popularity. What a smart manager that girl has... I wish he was MY
> manager...

Wasn't there a Stones song of the same name? Is that related? I know
very little about the Rolling Stones.

Annnna
--
named Earl or have a friend named Earl, email me for your prize.|
42 on the Earl Count ************** | Just ignore alt.slack.devo|

Barbara Sklar

Jul 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/4/97

Stephen Tanner <tan...@aros.net> wrote in article
<33bb459b...@news.aros.net>...

>SCATOLOGY 101: Fill in the blank.
>
> If Jack helped you off a horse, would you help...?

If Jack helped you off a horse, would you help the horse get off?

It kinda depends on the horse, doesn't it? If it was a really good looking
horse, maybe I would.
Then again, if it was a really ugly horse I still might, if I felt bad
enough for it.

--Nully Fydyan
barbaraandj...@worldnet.att.net
I lurked, you lurked, he she it lurked
we lurked they lurked

"Life is like a toilet. What you get out of it depends on what you put
into it." - Tom Lehrer

Hal Phillips

Jul 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/4/97

tr...@mind.net wrote:

> Wasn't there a Stones song of the same name? Is that related? I know
> very little about the Rolling Stones.

I THINK there was, although I don't know anything about it and I
doubt they're related. There was also a song by an artist I've
forgotten which was just like "Bitch", only a million times better.

Hal Phillips
Will do things for money.
Home Page: http://www.microsoft.com

Birthday Countdown: 5 4 3 2 1 BOOM!

L. Shelton Bumgarner

Jul 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/10/97

On 2 Jul 1997 06:11:51 -0700, smt...@bcvms.bc.edu (Sean Smith) wrote:

>Now, when _I_ was their age, we didn't have a "playground anthem" with a
>dirty word in it. The biggest thrill we had was playing Johnny Cash's "Boy
>Named Sue" and speculating what word got bleeped out when he sang "you're
>the ****** that named me 'Sue,'" then flipping the 45 over to the other side,
>which began "San Quentin/you been livin' *hell* to me..."
>And now that I think of it, when our sixth grade chorus did "To Dream the
>Impossible Dream," we got to sing the line "...to be willing to march into
>*hell* for a heavenly cause..." and the choral director had to tell us not to
>emphasize that part so much because it threw off the rhythm (like we really
>believed that).
>
>The point? I have only a classic parental phrase: "These kids don't know
>how good they got it!"

Just wait until their kids grow up, they'll be singing NIN songs er
something. It recently did come to me that in the future all songs
will sound like they were made by Beck.

lee

justin wright

Jul 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/11/97

> >Now, when _I_ was their age, we didn't have a "playground anthem" with a
> >dirty word in it.
> >
> >And now that I think of it, when our sixth grade chorus did "To Dream the
> >Impossible Dream," we got to sing the line "...to be willing to march into
> >*hell* for a heavenly cause..." and the choral director had to tell us not to
> >emphasize that part so much because it threw off the rhythm (like we really
> >believed that).

All this talk of kids n 'hell' remimded me of a talent show when I was
in high school. These three 8-or-9 year ols girls had done the
irritatingly cute lip-sync to a beatles song (Twist-N-Shout, I think).
Anyway, half an our later, when the 4 sophmores did their rendidtion of
Motley Crue's 'Shout at the Devil', there were these same little girls
(poodle skirts and all) head-banging, and moshing right in front of the
stage.
Their mommy was _so_ proud.

--
http://www.users.intellinet.com/~wright/
'Young Harry, propp'd up just as straight as he's able,