The True Path (long)

Patrick J. LoPresti

Jul 10, 1991, 11:17:31 PM7/10/91
When I log into my Xenix system with my 110 baud teletype, both vi
*and* Emacs are just too damn slow. They print useless messages like,
'C-h for help' and '"foo" File is read only'. So I use the editor
that doesn't waste my VALUABLE time.

Ed, man! !man ed

ED(1) UNIX Programmer's Manual ED(1)

NAME
ed - text editor

SYNOPSIS
ed [ - ] [ -x ] [ name ]
DESCRIPTION
Ed is the standard text editor.
---

Computer Scientists love ed, not just because it comes first
alphabetically, but because it's the standard. Everyone else loves ed
because it's ED!

"Ed is the standard text editor."

And ed doesn't waste space on my Timex Sinclair. Just look:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root 24 Oct 29 1929 /bin/ed
-rwxr-xr-t 4 root 1310720 Jan 1 1970 /usr/ucb/vi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root 5.89824e37 Oct 22 1990 /usr/bin/emacs

Of course, on the system *I* administrate, vi is symlinked to ed.
Emacs has been replaced by a shell script which 1) Generates a syslog
message at level LOG_EMERG; 2) reduces the user's disk quota by 100K;
and 3) RUNS ED!!!!!!

"Ed is the standard text editor."

Let's look at a typical novice's session with the mighty ed:

golem> ed

?
help
?
?
?
quit
?
exit
?
bye
?
hello?
?
eat flaming death
?
^C
?
^C
?
^D
?

---
Note the consistent user interface and error reportage. Ed is
generous enough to flag errors, yet prudent enough not to overwhelm
the novice with verbosity.

"Ed is the standard text editor."

Ed, the greatest WYGIWYG editor of all.

ED IS THE TRUE PATH TO NIRVANA! ED HAS BEEN THE CHOICE OF EDUCATED
AND IGNORANT ALIKE FOR CENTURIES! ED WILL NOT CORRUPT YOUR PRECIOUS
BODILY FLUIDS!! ED IS THE STANDARD TEXT EDITOR! ED MAKES THE SUN
SHINE AND THE BIRDS SING AND THE GRASS GREEN!!

When I use an editor, I don't want eight extra KILOBYTES of worthless
help screens and cursor positioning code! I just want an EDitor!!
Not a "viitor". Not a "emacsitor". Those aren't even WORDS!!!! ED!
ED! ED IS THE STANDARD!!!

TEXT EDITOR.

When IBM, in its ever-present omnipotence, needed to base their
"edlin" on a UNIX standard, did they mimic vi? No. Emacs? Surely
you jest. They chose the most karmic editor of all. The standard.

Ed is for those who can *remember* what they are working on. If you
are an idiot, you should use Emacs. If you are an Emacs, you should
not be vi. If you use ED, you are on THE PATH TO REDEMPTION. THE
SO-CALLED "VISUAL" EDITORS HAVE BEEN PLACED HERE BY ED TO TEMPT THE
FAITHLESS. DO NOT GIVE IN!!! THE MIGHTY ED HAS SPOKEN!!!

?

James D. Oliver III

Jul 11, 1991, 1:21:54 AM7/11/91

Oh, God, stop! My stomach hurts from laughing.

So how *do* you get out of ed? The only thing I could manage was to
Ctrl-Z and then kill the job.

--
____________________________
Jim Oliver

Message has been deleted

The Grand Master

Jul 11, 1991, 1:22:45 PM7/11/91
In article <OLIVER.91J...@hippocrates.mit.edu> oli...@athena.mit.edu (James D. Oliver III) writes:
}In article <1991Jul11....@athena.mit.edu> pa...@athena.mit.edu (Patrick J. LoPresti) wrote:
}>
}> ?
}> help
[several lines of ridiculous shit deleted]

}> ?
}>
}> ---
}
}Oh, God, stop! My stomach hurts from laughing.

Oh mine too. That was so original. I think I have never seen anything like
that before.

}
}So how *do* you get out of ed? The only thing I could manage was to
}Ctrl-Z and then kill the job.

sage:~ -> ed
sage:~ ->

I know. That is too difficult for *some* people
Bruce
--
"He who is not liberal when he is young has no heart" -- someone
"He who is not conservative when he is old has no brain" -- same someone

Scott McMahan

Jul 11, 1991, 4:13:37 PM7/11/91
In article <OLIVER.91J...@hippocrates.mit.edu> oli...@athena.mit.edu (James D. Oliver III) writes:

>Oh, God, stop! My stomach hurts from laughing.
>
>So how *do* you get out of ed? The only thing I could manage was to
>Ctrl-Z and then kill the job.
>
>--
>____________________________
> Jim Oliver
> oli...@athena.mit.edu / jol...@hstbme.mit.edu
> oliver%mitwccf...@MITVMA.MIT.EDU

Even that doesn't kill it totally. I did that once and I got
a mail message from some daemon with nothing better to do
telling me the ed job was unnaturally stopped, and that it had
*saved my file* and I could get it.

That file is probably still around somewhere, too :)

-- Scott

This space 4 rent

Jul 11, 1991, 5:07:11 PM7/11/91
In message <1991Jul11....@athena.mit.edu> pa...@athena.mit.edu (Patrick J. LoPresti) makes one mistake:

>golem> ed
>
>?
>help
>?
>?
>?
>quit
>?
>exit
>?

>?bye

>?
>hello?
>?
>eat flaming death
>?
>^C
>?
>^C
>?

>^D <<<<--- at this point, ed should stop, unless someone has fucked with the
stty setting on your Sinclair (btw, are you runnung SysV or BSD?)
>?

John.

Rev. Errans Syntaxus

Jul 14, 1991, 11:38:39 AM7/14/91
In article #666 of alt.slack, pa...@athena.mit.edu (Patrick J. LoPresti) writes:

> Ed is the standard text editor.

Yeah yeah, we know. But #666... WHAT DOES IT *MEAN* ?!
Is "Bob" willing to say? Is there any software that
will take it? And will it even matter after the before-life?

Rev. Errans Syntaxus

Jym Dyer

Jul 15, 1991, 11:14:50 PM7/15/91
> In article #666 of alt.slack . . .

I don't know how to break this to y'all, but article #666 at
your newsfeed isn't necessarily (indeed, isn't likely to be) #666
at other newsfeeds.

One thing is constant at all sites, though, and this is the
fact that vi vi vi is the editor of the apocalypse.

>> Ed is the standard text editor.

But does Ed know Bob?
<_Jym_>

Bill Stewart 908-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs

Jul 24, 1991, 4:00:33 AM7/24/91
In article <OLIVER.91J...@hippocrates.mit.edu> oli...@athena.mit.edu (James D. Oliver III) writes:
] In article <1991Jul11....@athena.mit.edu> pa...@athena.mit.edu (Patrick J. LoPresti) wrote:
] > Let's look at a typical novice's session with the mighty ed:
] > eat flaming death
] > ?
] So how *do* you get out of ed? The only thing I could manage was to
] Ctrl-Z and then kill the job.

Truly this man has great slackness, for he could have read the friendly manual
on paper, or on line, or even after typing CONtrol-Z, but chose to
kill ed instead.

I had an editor named "Bob" once. But I killed it.

So RTFM. Or kill me.
"Ed"
--
# Bill Stewart 908-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs AT&T Bell Labs 4M-312 Holmdel NJ
# There's no independent constitutional authority for the Congress to