Bob Dobbs meets Frank Zappa

The Late Budie Holie

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
lifted from the alt.fan.frank-zappa newsgroup
posted by TOMLYTTE:

Can anyone verify this? Dobbs, who has a column in Flipside! (and claims to
have founded the Church of the Subgenius), claims he was a good friend, also
with Beefheart.

Rev. Ivan Stang

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
In article <sdm3kd...@corp.supernews.com>, The Late Budie Holie
<the_lat...@hotmail.com???snorkel> wrote:

He also claims to be good friends with me, which he is not. Quite the
opposite.

I have heard that Gail Zappa considers this guy to be more in the
nature of a stalker than a friend.

Here at "SubGenius HQ," such as it is, he is considered a sad and
pathetic pest. He likes to skulk around our shows in disguise,
pestering the female preachers, as they will attest.

For years we have loudly and publicly tried to distance ourselves from
the person calling himself Bob Dobbs. He's certainly no credit to the
fine and upstanding name of J.R. "Bob" Dobbs, the Living Avatar of
Slack. Zappa expressed appreciation for the Dallas-based Church of the
SubGenius in his book, not for this blabbering Canadian smiley-face.
The true Church of the SubGenius is composed of hundreds of
contributors. This "Happy New Age Bob Dobbs" is not one of them.

--
Copyright 2000 by Rev. Ivan Stang / 2nd Orthodox Stangian
MegaFisTemple Lodge of People's Covenant Church of the

hors concours

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
In article <240320000355379300%st...@subgenius.com>,
Why not just call him Bum Dumbbs?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Lewis Saul

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
So, iow, the dude I met is *NOT* the real Bob Dobbs, has *nothing* to do
with the Church of the Subgenius

[what is "PROF" btw?]

but he *IS* the same Bob Marshall who did that great interview w/FZ...

Okay, now I can work today with a clear head. Thks.

Lewis Saul
The Frank Zappa Musical Resource Institute (TFZMRI)
http://www.onour.com/tfzmri
ls...@azstarnet.com

hors concours

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
In article <sdnk3m...@corp.supernews.com>,

"Lewis Saul" <ls...@azstarnet.com> wrote:
> So, iow, the dude I met is *NOT* the real Bob Dobbs, has *nothing* to
do
> with the Church of the Subgenius
>
> [what is "PROF" btw?]

> but he *IS* the same Bob Marshall who did that great interview w/FZ...
>
> Okay, now I can work today with a clear head. Thks.

Only "Bob" is "Bob", all others are cast out as false prophets.

Geir Corneliussen

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
hors concours wrote:

> In article <sdnk3m...@corp.supernews.com>,
> "Lewis Saul" <ls...@azstarnet.com> wrote:
> > So, iow, the dude I met is *NOT* the real Bob Dobbs, has *nothing* to
> do
> > with the Church of the Subgenius
> >
> > [what is "PROF" btw?]

> > but he *IS* the same Bob Marshall who did that great interview w/FZ...
> >
> > Okay, now I can work today with a clear head. Thks.
> >
> Only "Bob" is "Bob", all others are cast out as false prophets.

Intersting thread this here thang. I learnt that Bob Marhall is the only
one. But he IS a false prophet. That's exactly what he IS.
The Church of the subgenious is false, and everyone know that, and
that's why it's so fantastic funny. But I also think Bob could try a
cigar for a change.

--
Geir Corneliussen
_______________FLFFZL_____________

"If you really want to enslave people, promise them total freedom"
L.Ron Hubbard

hors concours

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
In article <38DBE4...@online.no>,

corn...@online.no wrote:
> hors concours wrote:
> >
> > In article <sdnk3m...@corp.supernews.com>,
> > "Lewis Saul" <ls...@azstarnet.com> wrote:
> > > So, iow, the dude I met is *NOT* the real Bob Dobbs, has
*nothing* to
> > do
> > > with the Church of the Subgenius
> > >
> > > [what is "PROF" btw?]

> > > but he *IS* the same Bob Marshall who did that great interview
w/FZ...

> > > Okay, now I can work today with a clear head. Thks.
> > >
> > Only "Bob" is "Bob", all others are cast out as false prophets.
>
> Intersting thread this here thang. I learnt that Bob Marhall is the
only
> one. But he IS a false prophet. That's exactly what he IS.
> The Church of the subgenious is false, and everyone know that, and
> that's why it's so fantastic funny. But I also think Bob could try a
> cigar for a change.
>
> --
Bob Marshall is not "Bob" Dobbs, he is Bum Dumbbs. The Church of the
subgenious may be false, but the Church of the SubGenius is the one
true church of "Bob". Send in $2 to find out why. "Bob" clenches a pipe
but also wields the See-Gar, a unique aquatic clairvoyant.
http://www.SubGenius.com

Rev. Babbles

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

Phinny wrote in message ...
>On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:37:56 GMT, mod...@modemac.com (Modemac) wrote:
>
>>Bob Dean never met Frank Zappa, and Zappa never knew Bob Dean. When Frank
>>Zappa gave credit to the Church of the SubGenius, he was referring to the
true
>>Church based in Dallas.
>>

>Actually that's not true. They had a MASSIVE interview together that
>ran some 80 pages. I have often heard it described as the 'best Zappa
>interview ever'. I should know I transcribed the whole damn thing by
>hand in the early 90's an posted it on Usenet. You can now find it at
>http://www.catalog.com/mrm/zappa/html/bobm.html Dean, goes under the
>name "Bob Marshall" for this interview.
>
>Please note I made the mistake once of saying this was done with the
>permission of Gerry Fialka, a mutual friend of Dean and I, and former
>Zappa employee. This was due to a misunderstanding. He did not grant
>permission. In fact the existence of this great interview on the web
>is a fluke. I transcribed it because I enjoy typing and wanted to
>share it with the zappa newsgroup. In those early days of the web I
>didn't understand the viral nature of information and how the
>interview was going to linger and spread for eternity. So this is
>something that wasn't really meant to be 'out there'.
>
>I've never met Dean, don't know him, don't really have any opinion
>about him except that of course I keep hearing these 'stalking'
>stories in Subgenius circles. A little surprised he didn't show up at
>X Day but maybe he knew he'd be persona non grata. Not sure what his
>trip is with calling himself "Bob" Dobbs.
>
>Speaking of Zappa and Dobbs, I had the honor of talking to Zappa for
>about 10 minutes on KPFA, over the phone a year or two before he was
>diagnosed with cancer. He was announcing that he was looking into
>running for president. He had just released 'The Real Frank Zappa
>Book" in which he mentions the Church of the Subgenius as being the
>one church that he'd like to be a member of and he gives some theories
>on Slack(tm). Zappa said "How is old "Bob"? and I said "Oh he's doing
>good, he sends his regards" and Zappa said "You know what I like most
>about "Bob"? He's a smoker!" and then I said "Yeah, frop all the way!"
>but then stammered and tried to cover my tracks and change the subject
>because I didn't want to get into "frop" with Frank cuz I knew he
>disapproved of it. The short exchange is on one of my Best of
>Subgenius Shows tapes. If I had it to do over again I would have spent
>the whole 10 minutes talking about Subgenius. Oh well. We miss you
>Frank.

yeah. like jimi. they totally killed him casue he talked about being
president. Look at what happened to Letterman after he interviewed Mrs.
Clinton.
-PM

Geir Corneliussen

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

"Send $2 to find out why". I am not Dumm Bumbbs either. Go fuck
yourself, you false orangutan.

Mondo Cribdeath

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
Modemac wrote:

> As Sigmund Freud allegedly said, "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Not to pick nits, and your point is well taken, but the actual quote is
"Sometimes a cigar is just a penis.... Uh, did I just say 'penis'? I meant
'cigar'; it's just a cigar."

SubGenius Spice

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
# 7 on today's alt.slack hit parade is Mondo Cribdeath and Our Lady of the
Juice of the Fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of the Good the Bad and
the Ugly doing their rendition of :

come in here, dear boy, have a cigar. you're gonna go far. --pink floyd

--
SubGenius Spice
www.distributed.net

whyaskwhyaskwhy

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
Our local bookstore has about 5 copies of a book called "Phatic
Communication" by J.R. "Bob" Dobbs. Ever heard of it? What's the deal?

"Unit 4" <Uni...@SPUTUM.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:26:22 -0800, "Lewis Saul" <ls...@azstarnet.com>
> wrote, in alt.slack:

> }So, iow, the dude I met is *NOT* the real Bob Dobbs, has *nothing* to do
> }with the Church of the Subgenius
>

> The "real" Bob Dobbs is a piece of clip art.
>
> To steal something which in itself was a massive fake simply indicates the
> depth of his stoopidity and inability to exercise his own imagination.
>
> All he has to do with the CotSG is to use it as a source of stolen
> material. That, and show up at some of our shows, not announce himself,
> and crow about it afterwards as if he'd pulled some monumental prank.
> If he had a clue shaped hole anywhere in his head, it might sink in that
> nobody recognized him because nobody recognizes him.
>
> He exists to us only as a reputation on par with shoplifters and spammers.
>
> To paraphrase another source he steals from, the medium is the message,
> and the message is he who steals doesn't need to have any talent.
>
> IIRC, the people who helped him with his CD apologized for their part in
> it.

whyaskwhyaskwhy

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
Nope, it's a weird looking purple softcover that somehow got listed in the
new age/self help/society area. Its got a lot of stuff that didn't ring true
in the first part (I admit, it was a fast flip-thru) but has dialogues in
the back of what looks like Puzzling Evidence radio shows or something awful
similar. I suspected treachery and besides it cost $9.00. Anybody?

"Geir Corneliussen" <corn...@online.no> wrote in message

> whyaskwhyaskwhy wrote:
> >
> > Our local bookstore has about 5 copies of a book called "Phatic
> > Communication" by J.R. "Bob" Dobbs. Ever heard of it? What's the deal?
>

> It's probably a comicbook, isn't it? Sort of like Mad-pocketbooks.
> "Bob" is Subgenus' own Donald Duck.
>
> --

> Geir Corneliussen
> _______________FLFFZL_____________
> http://www.friendlylittlefinger.com
>

> "If we can't be free, at least we can be cheap"
> FZ

whyaskwhyaskwhy

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
I'll check it out a little better tomorrow and post it up top.

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2000 17:01:24 -0700, "whyaskwhyaskwhy"
> <blac...@HORMELinfomagic.com> wrote, in alt.slack:

> }Our local bookstore has about 5 copies of a book called "Phatic
> }Communication" by J.R. "Bob" Dobbs. Ever heard of it? What's the deal?
>

> Dunno. Who published it?

Geir Corneliussen

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
whyaskwhyaskwhy wrote:

> Our local bookstore has about 5 copies of a book called "Phatic
> Communication" by J.R. "Bob" Dobbs. Ever heard of it? What's the deal?

It's probably a comicbook, isn't it? Sort of like Mad-pocketbooks.

hors concours

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
In article <38DC19...@online.no>,

corn...@online.no wrote:
> hors concours wrote:
> >
> > In article <38DBE4...@online.no>,
> > corn...@online.no wrote:

> > *nothing* to

> > w/FZ...

> > > Intersting thread this here thang. I learnt that Bob Marhall is
the
> > only
> > > one. But he IS a false prophet. That's exactly what he IS.
> > > The Church of the subgenious is false, and everyone know that, and
> > > that's why it's so fantastic funny. But I also think Bob could
try a
> > > cigar for a change.
> > >
> > > --
> > Bob Marshall is not "Bob" Dobbs, he is Bum Dumbbs. The Church of the
> > subgenious may be false, but the Church of the SubGenius is the one
> > true church of "Bob". Send in $2 to find out why. "Bob" clenches a
pipe
> > but also wields the See-Gar, a unique aquatic clairvoyant.
> > http://www.SubGenius.com
>
> "Send $2 to find out why". I am not Dumm Bumbbs either. Go fuck
> yourself, you false orangutan.

Eternal Salvation or triple your money back.

ePRONO

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
whyaskwhyaskwhy wrote:

> Our local bookstore has about 5 copies of a book called "Phatic
> Communication" by J.R. "Bob" Dobbs. Ever heard of it? What's the deal?

That's the magnum opus of the canadian ripoff artist who, unable to
promote himself, had to resort to pretending to be "Bob" and saying he
invented the church of the SubGenius. He posts to alt.slack as "purple"
occasionally - when he has one of his dreary little essays published
somewhere and wants someone to read it. People who have read his stuff
say he mostly just chews up Marshall McLuhan and spits it back out.
Stang will go on and on about this guy if asked, detailing every single
one of his offences, but STANG AINT HERE.

Marc Ziegenhagen

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00

>That's the magnum opus of the canadian ripoff artist who, unable to
>promote himself, had to resort to pretending to be "Bob" and saying he
>invented the church of the SubGenius. He posts to alt.slack as "purple"
>occasionally - when he has one of his dreary little essays published
>somewhere and wants someone to read it. People who have read his stuff
>say he mostly just chews up Marshall McLuhan and spits it back out.
>Stang will go on and on about this guy if asked, detailing every single
>one of his offences, but STANG AINT HERE.

Ah, but he *was* recently and detailed some of the offences you speak of
(right? Or am I dreaming that I read a post by Ivan Stang in here
recently? Maybe it was Matt Groening).

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in and say that the interview w/ Frank,
Fialka, and "Bob Marshall" is my favorite FZ interview and, also, I have
about 3 cassettes of "Bob's" radio shows and find them highly enjoyable.

I think that even though everything rotten that's been said about this guy
is probably true (ripping off Stang/McLuhan), I never took Stang seriously
to begin with (who would?!?) and since Marshall is long since dead, I was
pleased that someone would pick up the gauntlet and carry on with his
wacky way of disecting technology and media. I find it refreshing and
ellucidatingly entertaining.

I enjoy "Bob" in all his guises. The first Book of the Church of the
SubGenius is one of my favorite bathroom reads.

MZ

--
Email: substitute "dude" for "nospam".

hors concours

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
In article <digiNOSPAMski-2603001518060001@user-
33qteu6.dialup.mindspring.com>,
"Bob" doesn't disect (or dissect) the media, save to warn that it is a
CONspiracy tool to deprive the SubGenius of their Slack. That's why he
had TBotS published as disguised toilet room reading.
Want to read a dissection of the media? Pick up Manufacturing Consent
by Chomsky and Herman. Want to laugh 'til your guts bleed? Purchase
only Church Approved products! Accept no limitations, frauds or false
prophets.

whyaskwhyaskwhy

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
I read an interview with FZ in some magazine called Acid Rock in the late
70's. They asked him

"When you wrote the song "Calling All Vegetables" did you have any
experience with it?"

"With what?"

"Communicating with vegetables"

"Oh yeah, vegetables and I hava an understanding- I eat them and they come
out of my asshole awhile later"