speaking of Jeff Phillips RIP

Mob Slater

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00

Why did Jeff Phillips kill himself? I always thought that guy ripped
but he did seem a little depressed in his interview in TWS.
Was it a just sick of the world/life deal?

That guy had some major talent-may he rest in peace.

The Abbott

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Who's Jeff Philips?

k2000

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
you better step back

dude skated vert like he was some kind of rubber man

The Abbott <auss...@powerup.com.au> wrote in message

driftwoodŽ

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
an old school vert skater

SHVNC

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Maybe Bob would care to elaborate. I remember Jeff, but didn't know him. I do
recall him being an excellent vert skater. I saw his name in the number one
slot several times, especially at comps in Texas. He rode for Sims for years,
and invented some good moves.

JWC

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
The article in RS mentioned his failure at owning and running skateparks.
That made him very depressed. Compounded by the fact that street
skating and that singularly homoerotic sport known as RollerBlading were
taking off. And he was a vert skater. He was definitely in that top tier
of the old vert guys, along with Hawk, McGill, Hosoi and Gator. One of
those that seemed fluent and at home on the ramp. And he had that move
"The Phillips 66" that basically nobody but him would ever try in an event.
The one video I have which features him the best is the Vision "Holiday
Havoc."
It is the US World Skate Championships (and was also on ESPN back in the
day)
and Jeff comes in first, beating all the big name skaters.

--
-JWC
j...@superzapper.com

Mob Slater <mobs...@aol.comkillspam> wrote in message

Bob Loftin

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
I'm not sure exactly why he killed himself. I do know that his longtime
girlfriend, who he lived with for several years, moved out. From what I
remember, he loved her a lot. The RS article stated that she was just tired
of having all his skater friends around all the time (she was totally cool
-- very nice person -- it would not be easy living around that kind of
craziness all the time). Anyway, I guess that probably had something to do
with it. Certainly he pro skating career was sort of winding down, though he
still ripped.

A lot of people get depressed and kill themselves at Christmas.

Anyway, thats about all I know.

Bob

----------
In article <20000426162159...@ng-cj1.aol.com>, sh...@aol.com

John Hansen

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
I know that he was making "masks" and that sort of stuff, you know like rubber
monster masks, etc.
John Hansen Sarasota Fl.
Jhans...@aol.com

John Hansen

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
are you sure his park was failing? The park i believe still excists in plano
texas as arlo eisenbergs skate park?

I remeber at some contests at Kona I think, He Dan wilkes, and a few other
Texans all wore T-shirts saying

FUCK YOU I'M FROM TEXAS

realg...@vt.edu

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
Ok, to answer most of the questions here: First, no one really knows why
Jeff committed suicide. The facts are that he was facing a shitty time
in his life. Alison had moved out--I'm still really not sure why because
I've heard a few different things. Now, if you've lived with someone for
over ten years and loved them and they were the most important person in
your life, yeah, obviously it would get you pretty down if they moved
out. Now at the same time the park he ran on Lombardy Lane near I-35 and
NW Hwy in Dallas (which finally closed in 1998 after being operated for a
few years after Jeff died as "Rapid Revolutions") was basically feeling
the effects of the ten year cycle and the lull in skating that took place
around 1993--it was run-down and losing money. So, he was desperatley
trying to keep it open and looking for people to buy it up (Jeff didn't
want to grow up and have to face an adult life and this park was
basically all he had left to hold onto his childhood besides his board).
He paid enough to overhaul it for well into 1994. So, yeah, things were
getting him down. He still saw a large circle of friends and even spent
Christmas Eve with his family and was booked to do this stunt show in Las
Vegas in 1994. Jeff didn't leave a note--except for like a little post-
it note on this knife that basically was for one of his friends. I think
the best theory on what happened was what his neighbor Judy Walgren (who
also shot photos of him skating and such for different publications)
said. I think he just got really down and lonely and had this fantasy of
killing himself and before he could say "wait, i don't want to do this,"
it was to late. You'll read about most of this in Rolling Stone. I
could go on for days about Jeff cuz I totally look up to him and know a
ton about him and have met a lot of his friends, etc. Also, Eisenberg's
is a sick capitalist venture that is in no way associated or realted to--
and should never be--to Jeff's park. Eisenberg's IS in Plano, but it's
not the same park. And Jeff and Dan and some of the other pro Texas
skaters used to wear Zorlac shirts that said "FUCK YOU WE'RE FROM TEXAS"
on them. That's it. Any more questions, e-mail me at: realg...@vt.edu
Take care.
-Scott

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

rexspenc...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2020, 3:09:18 PM1/30/20
Grew up with Jeff and watched him on his first ever run at Wizard Skateboard Park. Within a few years he was skating in pools straight up vertical before ANYONE in Dallas. Anyone. He could do tricks then that dropped my jaw. He went on to become world champion for a time, had skateboards named after him just like Paul Stanley guitar models. The guy was unreal. Sadly it all came down to money, drugs and friends (or lack of) at the end. People didn’t reach out for help back then like is recommended now or I’d be drinking beer with Jeff today.

He schooled Tony Hawk before there was a Tony Hawk my friend. This guy was special. Very vey special.