Tony Hawk on "why street skaters don't wear pads"

Tom

Feb 23, 2002, 10:03:23 AM2/23/02
I love it - just looked at the club Tony Hawk site in the Q&A section:

Q: Why Don't street skaters wear pads?
Hawk's Answer : Because they are trying to be cool

Brilliant! :)

Tom

ItzF8

Feb 23, 2002, 10:20:42 AM2/23/02
nospam wrote:
>Q: Why Don't street skaters wear pads?
>Hawk's Answer : Because they are trying to be cool
>
>Brilliant! :)

Not brilliant, just the plain idiotic truth.

Tom

Feb 23, 2002, 11:40:26 AM2/23/02
"ItzF8" <it...@aol.com> wrote in message

Yeah - I mean it's brilliant in that he's so direct with the truth!

Tom

David Gilner

Feb 23, 2002, 12:51:53 PM2/23/02
What an idiotic load of crap. I don't wear pads because I can't skate in
them. It's hard enough wearing a helmet....

ItzF8

Feb 23, 2002, 1:05:17 PM2/23/02
Dgilner wrote:
>What an idiotic load of crap. I don't wear pads because I can't skate in
>them. It's hard enough wearing a helmet....

You would if you wanted to skate in the future. Skating now is one thing, but
injuries and future health cannot be predicted. Skate hard now with no pads and
curse it later for not wearing 'em. "The youth of today" is exactly what it is.

davidrhys.white

Feb 23, 2002, 1:41:49 PM2/23/02
I',m never caught without my shin pads. My firends auntie is a nurse and
said that all the knocks on your legs will end up killing the the bone in 20
years time. So the bone actually rotts away on the inside of your leg. She
also said that this causes your legs to smell really really bad because of
the rotting bone. I understand why people dont like wearing pads becuase
they get hot and sweaty but you end up getting used to them after a few
weeks, and it's better in the long run.

--
Dave

+=+The Internet SKATE Movie Database+=+
http://www.ismdb.bobstricktips.com

Tom <nos...@nospamever.not> wrote in message

Captain S

Feb 24, 2002, 2:09:12 AM2/24/02
I don't wear pads because even shin guards make me sweat underneith them and
it starts to itch. It's just annoying.

"David Gilner" <Dgi...@fuse.net> wrote in message

Captain S

Feb 24, 2002, 2:12:09 AM2/24/02
rotting bone? stinky legs? never even THOUGHt of that. weird.

"davidrhys.white" <davidrh...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

chr|st0pher X.

Feb 24, 2002, 1:40:25 AM2/24/02
heh. imagine someone deck out in full football uniform for doing
handrails. there would definatlly be alot less injuries. I have worn
shin pads before when I've kept hitting the same spot over and over
untill it healed. same with elbow bads, and an occasional wrist guard.
ankle brace when i used to roll my ankle all the time...even worn a cup
when i was learning handrails.

-chr|st0pher

Antti S. Brax

Feb 24, 2002, 4:56:24 AM2/24/02
begin quotation from Dgi...@fuse.net in alt.skate-board:

http://www.patiomendino.com/adventures/headwoundharry.html

--
Antti S. Brax - a...@iki.fi - AIM:ayesbeah - http://www.iki.fi/asb/
http://skate-board.org/helsinki/

TO3Y

Feb 24, 2002, 11:12:48 AM2/24/02

someone name a pad that would be of use on street other than maybe a
shinpad?

knee and elbow pads are for sliding out on ramp its hardly gonna protect
impact, imagine kids attempting to knee-slide out of a 20 stair bail lot of
help, on street there's a direct impact to the floor from what 2-3 feet when
skating flatland, this impact doesn't get taken gradually from 90 - 0 degres
in a ramps transition its just a full stop. Ever seen a vert skater bailing
and gonna hit the flat bottom as opposed to the tranny and not try and land
on their feet but insted land on their knee-pads??

Oldschoolsk8

Feb 24, 2002, 12:16:27 PM2/24/02
TO3Y wrote:

<< knee and elbow pads are for sliding out on ramp its hardly gonna protect
impact, >>

Any pad will help, even if just a little, on a direct impact. An inch of foam
and plastic will take a direct blow far better than your elbow or knee can on
its own.

<< imagine kids attempting to knee-slide out of a 20 stair bail lot of help >>

Sliding out in that situation probably wouldn't be a good idea, but if there's
any chance your knees or elbows are going to hit the ground, whether from
rolling, sliding, or a direct impact, it's still better to have them covered
(unless you don't mind scrapes, bruises, and long term joint damage...)

ItzF8

Feb 24, 2002, 1:31:31 PM2/24/02
asb wrote:
>http://www.patiomendino.com/adventures/headwoundharry.html

Best article in defense of helmets/pads.
I once thought pads of any kind were confining when I first started skating. It
took me more than halfway into my twenties to realize you need pads. I gave a
friend an entire set of pads sans the elbow pads because he couldn't afford
them. What do you know, he slams on his elbow, goes to the hospital and gets
spanked because he had no insurance. To this day his arm will not straighten to
it's original span.
Always wear your pads to include elbow, knee, wrist guards and brain bucket.
It might not look cool, but next time you think that ask yourself this...
"Can I see myself not skating"?
Answer: Not me!

Bala Clark

Feb 24, 2002, 2:48:03 PM2/24/02
so if asked you would rather fall flat on your knee without pads, think
about it, I think I am actually going to start wearing them, I have had
exeriences at parks that make you wear pads that would have really hurt if
it wasn't for them.
"TO3Y" <toby....@virgin.net> wrote in message

chr|st0pher X.

Feb 24, 2002, 3:37:15 PM2/24/02
> someone name a pad that would be of use on street other than maybe a
> shinpad?

oh please. all of them. do you know much scar tissue I have around my
leading elbow from having skin 'erased' on pavement? an elbow pad would
have prevented that. do you know how many 'crucifiction wounds /
stigamta's" i've had on my hands from falling on them? a pair of gloves
or wrist guards would have prevented that. never broken my wrist
(seriousally), but wrist guards would have prevented that. tweeking your
knee from hitting it on the ground, knee pads. getting jocked on a
handrail, a cup.

yeah, seems like almost ever pad is applicable to street skating...at
least to me.

-chr|st0pher

Alistair W Smith

Feb 24, 2002, 3:47:42 PM2/24/02
"chr|st0pher X." wrote:

> > someone name a pad that would be of use on street other than maybe a
> > shinpad?
>
> oh please. all of them. do you know much scar tissue I have around my
> leading elbow from having skin 'erased' on pavement? an elbow pad would
> have prevented that. do you know how many 'crucifiction wounds /
> stigamta's" i've had on my hands from falling on them? a pair of gloves
> or wrist guards would have prevented that. never broken my wrist
> (seriousally), but wrist guards would have prevented that. tweeking your
> knee from hitting it on the ground, knee pads. getting jocked on a
> handrail, a cup.
>
> yeah, seems like almost ever pad is applicable to street skating...at
> least to me.

Here we would call it a "box" (eg as worn in Cricket .. do you know what
that is?), as opposed to a "cup", which sounds like one side of a bra.

Big Al.

chr|st0pher X.

Feb 24, 2002, 5:36:28 PM2/24/02
> Here we would call it a "box" (eg as worn in Cricket .. do you know what
> that is?), as opposed to a "cup", which sounds like one side of a bra.

uhm...cricket. i sort of know what it is. don't know all the rules.

cup vs box. the bra thing is funny. i think the correct term is
'athletic supporter', but that might be different from 'athletic support
with protective cup" (wording of the package those things come in). i
dunno for sure. i wear them at karate if i know we're gonna be doing
alot of sparring in a given class. they suck. uncomofortable as all
hell. just glad i don't play a sport where they are required all the
time (hockey, baseball, football, etc).

a supporter of athletics,
-chr|st0pher

Alistair W Smith

Feb 24, 2002, 6:06:36 PM2/24/02

The only thing more awful than wearing a box, is learning all the rules
of Cricket.

Big Al.

Smakutus Maximus..

Feb 24, 2002, 6:17:52 PM2/24/02
"chr|st0pher X." wrote:

> > someone name a pad that would be of use on street other than maybe a
> > shinpad?
>
> oh please. all of them. do you know much scar tissue I have around my
> leading elbow from having skin 'erased' on pavement? an elbow pad would
> have prevented that. do you know how many 'crucifiction wounds /
> stigamta's" i've had on my hands from falling on them? a pair of gloves
> or wrist guards would have prevented that. never broken my wrist
> (seriousally), but wrist guards would have prevented that. tweeking your
> knee from hitting it on the ground, knee pads. getting jocked on a
> handrail, a cup.
>
> yeah, seems like almost ever pad is applicable to street skating...at
> least to me.

I hate wearing wrist guards but I also hate having the palms of my hands
hurt for a week after a fall on them. The wrist guards work great to
stop this.

There's a story in the new "gay" issue of Big Brother talking about
Pierre Luc falling on a rail trick and fucking up his dick.. Blood
everywhere etc.. Hopefully they're joking about it.

Outt..
Jeff.

Nng2000

Feb 24, 2002, 7:34:36 PM2/24/02
>someone name a pad that would be of use on street other than maybe a
>shinpad?

I totally agree. Wrist guards aren't bad either. But, if you can't take a cut
on your knee or elbow, go home and play video games all day. Also, if you're a
street skater who falls on your knees, then you obviously do not know how to
fall. A knee pad will do nothing to help a torn ACL. And its common knowledge
that wrist guards may help protect your wrist, but they make it easier for you
to break your arm.

NNG

Matthew Hand

Feb 24, 2002, 8:09:40 PM2/24/02
No, you'd call it a "bex" and a "coop".

Oldschoolsk8

Feb 24, 2002, 8:40:54 PM2/24/02
nng2000 wrote:

<< if you can't take a cut on your knee or elbow, go home and play video games
all day. >>

Injuries are always a possibility, but my attitude is why invite them? I don't
see the point in getting injuries that could easily be avoided...

<< Also, if you're a street skater who falls on your knees, then you obviously
do not know how to fall. >>

So your knees have NEVER touched the ground, even if rolling out of a fall?

I work with a guy who's an excellent street skater, and refuses to wear pads.
He's laughed at the idea, saying that he knows how to fall, and hasn't had a
problem for years. He showed up to work the other day with a knee the size of a
grapefruit, the result of blowing a slide on a handrail and whacking his knee
on the rail while bailing...

<< And its common knowledge that wrist guards may help protect your wrist, but
they make it easier for you to break your arm. >>

I've heard people say that, but I've never seen any real statistics to support
that. Just based on personal experience, I know several skaters that have
broken their arms without wearing wristguards, but I don't know anyone who's
broken an arm while wearing them...

Alistair W Smith

Feb 24, 2002, 8:32:45 PM2/24/02

lol

Will thets wut ut uz!

Bug Ul.

big nude man

Feb 24, 2002, 9:29:48 PM2/24/02
ive seen tony hawk skate street without pads, i guess he was trying to be cool.

Nng2000

Feb 25, 2002, 2:14:49 AM2/25/02
>Injuries are always a possibility, but my attitude is why invite them? I
>don't
>see the point in getting injuries that could easily be avoided...

I hardly call a cut or bruise on your elbow or knee an injury. I have banged
my knees on various objects a few times and it did hurt for the rest of the
day, but it's not major, and I'll put up with that much easier than I can put
up with cumbersome knee pads.

>So your knees have NEVER touched the ground, even if rolling out of a fall?

Of course they have, but it doesn't mean anything major has happened to them.

NNG

Tom

Feb 25, 2002, 4:28:33 AM2/25/02
"big nude man" <gb...@aol.compoop> wrote in message

> ive seen tony hawk skate street without pads, i guess he was trying to be
cool.

Send him a question for his Q&A

Tony - sometimes you don't wear pads. Is that becuase you are trying to be
cool?

Be sure to throw in a few other random stupid questions that people tend to
ask him like:

- Will you ever do a 1080?
- Are you friends with Rodney Mullen?
- Who's the oldest street skater?

Tom

ItzF8

Feb 25, 2002, 8:53:53 AM2/25/02
nng wrote:
>Of course they have, but it doesn't mean anything major has happened to them.

Sheepish.

mct

Feb 25, 2002, 3:44:27 PM2/25/02

"Oldschoolsk8" <oldsch...@aol.com> wrote in message
i broke both my arms without them, none with them

Bala Clark

Feb 26, 2002, 8:05:37 AM2/26/02
I once cut my dick riding a bike, I crashed into a wall (not funny), the
handlebars turn sideways and I was propelled in them, it tore the skin at
the base of said dick and hurt. the blood was much more translucent than
normal blood. wierd.
"Smakutus Maximus.." <smak...@home.com> wrote in message

Pill

Feb 26, 2002, 8:35:52 AM2/26/02
Holy shit.... I cringed just reading that....

--
philpill

http://www.geocities.com/philpillphil/

TO3Y

Feb 26, 2002, 10:52:38 AM2/26/02
Pads create a situation where you are more inclined to take the impact in
certain areas,, i.e always falling on your "protected" knees
its similar to the situation cyclists have on the roads, if all cyclists
wear helmets car drivers actually take less care when in a traffic situation
whith them.

TO3Y

Feb 26, 2002, 10:54:34 AM2/26/02
Of course I want to look cool, I'm out in the real world, in public,

I would have to smoke a lot of ciggarettes to balance out a full set of
pads.

Antti S. Brax

Feb 26, 2002, 11:20:26 AM2/26/02
begin quotation from toby....@virgin.net in alt.skate-board:

> its similar to the situation cyclists have on the roads, if all cyclists
> wear helmets car drivers actually take less care when in a traffic situation
> whith them.

I'm sure you can back your bullshit up with a scientific study.

So please do it.

Oldschoolsk8

Feb 26, 2002, 11:46:56 AM2/26/02
TO3Y wrote:

<< its similar to the situation cyclists have on the roads, if all cyclists
wear helmets car drivers actually take less care when in a traffic situation
whith them. >>

Are you sure about that? All the statistics I've ever seen seem to indicate the
opposite. As cycling has grown in popularity, and helmet use increases, the
number of deaths has decreased. In the last 25 years, the number of cycling
deaths in the US has gone down over 30%. In the majority of cycling accidents
involving cars, the fault was with the cyclist, not the driver (not obeying
traffic laws, riding recklessly). The majority of cyclists where I live now use
helmets, and the only change in the way motorists act that I've seen is that
they actually tend to give me *more* room on the road...

Matthew Hand

Feb 26, 2002, 2:46:54 PM2/26/02
.. and if everyone carried a gun, no one would ever get shot!

nowait that makes no sense, and neither do you.

Alistair W Smith

Feb 26, 2002, 3:30:17 PM2/26/02

Cycling without a helmet has been illegal here for years. The only
downside I can see is helmet hair.

Al.

Smakutus Maximus..

Feb 26, 2002, 4:46:19 PM2/26/02

That's in SoCal though.. While I was driving there in May I noticed you
all actually begin to stop when the light turns yellow instead of
speeding up to make the light before it turns red.. Also people seem to
know how to use a four way stops there, unlike Michigan drivers who seem
to think it's a four way slow down. <g> Maybe we need to have a few
drivers pull outt guns to shoot people, to help everyone to "get along"
eh?

In the past 6 months I know one person that got hit by a car while
running, and another that just got missed.

A careless driver is a careless driver. They don't care or probably even
notice a runner or a biker until they hit them.

Outt..
Jeff.

Smakutus Maximus..

Feb 26, 2002, 4:47:57 PM2/26/02
Matthew Hand wrote:

> .. and if everyone carried a gun, no one would ever get shot!
>
> nowait that makes no sense, and neither do you.

The gun thing does make sense in a way.. Somebody would get shot, but
there would be alot less bullshit going on in the world..

Outt..
Jeff.

Glenn

Feb 26, 2002, 5:24:00 PM2/26/02
a...@iki.fi (Antti S. Brax) wrote:

> begin quotation from toby....@virgin.net in alt.skate-board:
> > its similar to the situation cyclists have on the roads, if all
> > cyclists
> > wear helmets car drivers actually take less care when in a traffic
> > situation
> > whith them.
>
> I'm sure you can back your bullshit up with a scientific study.
>
> So please do it.

I've seen studies that say pretty much the same thing. Drivers are very
much into 'risk compensation'. Helmets and cycle lanes all add to
drivers giving cyclists less space and consideration. Give em seat belts,
they take a little less care and drive a little faster, give em airbags
they get even worse, give them a fucking volvo and they pretty much give
up looking where they are going...

Another interesting stat i've heard is that non-helmet wearing cyclists
have a greater life expectancy than non cyclists. The mass decreased risk
of heart disease apparently outweighs a few crushed skulls...

Smakutus Maximus..

Feb 26, 2002, 7:17:34 PM2/26/02

I make my kids wear helmets until they get about 12 or so.. I never wore
a helmet when I was a kid riding a bike in the 70's and I don't think I
saw anyone wear one until that movie Breaking Away.. When I fell back
then I was always scraping the heck outta my knees.. <g> None of my kids
have fell on their bikes like I used to.

Outt..
Jeff.

smiles

Feb 26, 2002, 12:10:29 PM2/26/02

> Pads create a situation where you are more inclined to take the impact in
> certain areas,, i.e always falling on your "protected" knees
> its similar to the situation cyclists have on the roads, if all cyclists
> wear helmets car drivers actually take less care when in a traffic
situation
> whith them.

Huh ... how does falling on padded areas relate to cars and bicycles ... I
have found road riding (bicycles) helmet or no, you put your bike in traffic
and they respect you ... cars drivers don't care either way. As for pads ...
they work, use them ... otherwise, don't whine when your knee explodes and
you can't skate for a year. As with helmets ... you should wear them, just
not be REQUIRED to wear them.

http://boardnbike.com

Tom M.

Feb 28, 2002, 6:04:00 AM2/28/02
On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 21:46:19 GMT, "Smakutus Maximus.."
<smak...@home.com> wrote:

>That's in SoCal though.. While I was driving there in May I noticed you
>all actually begin to stop when the light turns yellow instead of
>speeding up to make the light before it turns red.. Also people seem to
>know how to use a four way stops there, unlike Michigan drivers who seem
>to think it's a four way slow down. <g> Maybe we need to have a few
>drivers pull outt guns to shoot people, to help everyone to "get along"
>eh?

Quite a popular sport on SOCAL freeways back in the late '80s. <g>

Back then, I was working in LA (average 2 weeks/month), and I remember
seeing a bumper sticker that said, "Cover me, I'm switching lanes!"
<g>

Tom M.

Oldschoolsk8

Feb 28, 2002, 11:12:46 AM2/28/02
<< Maybe we need to have a few
>drivers pull outt guns to shoot people, to help everyone to "get along"
>eh?

Quite a popular sport on SOCAL freeways back in the late '80s. <g>

Back then, I was working in LA (average 2 weeks/month), and I remember
seeing a bumper sticker that said, "Cover me, I'm switching lanes!"
<g> >>

Another popular one was "Keep honking, I'm reloading!"

adventuretoday~!

Mar 8, 2002, 7:59:30 PM3/8/02
yeah me too... i bent forward and put my hand over my dick in a defensive
kinda way

hahaha whyd i write that

"Pill" <phil...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

adventuretoday~!

Mar 8, 2002, 8:02:23 PM3/8/02
yeah like today i rode my bike to school and my hair was messed up

im walken from now on

alex481pe...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2019, 11:13:30 PM1/25/19
I don't wear a cup ?. . ?. .