Poop or Poop....

Fran

Feb 20, 2024, 9:10:27 PMFeb 20
Yesterday when I saw that appalling 'stuck poop' ad flash up on Youtube,
I was, as usual, struck by the woman's appalling accent and very grating
way of talking.

I went from there to wondering if the way she says 'poop' is universal
in the US or just a regional dialect.

She says 'poop' as in 'poop deck' (the vowel sound being like clue or
few or new). I don't know anyone who says 'poop' like that. Everyone I
know uses a vowel sound such as that found in took, look, shook.

From there I had to find out the origins of the name poop deck....

As a huge fan of Patrick O'Brian, I really should have known that years ago