NY Post - Village People "Cop" Arrested

Gosp311025

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

From the NY Post, February 16.

The cop from the 70’s disco group the Village People, whose smash hit was
YMCA, is singing JAIL after being busted for robbery and crack possession
yesterday. Victor Edward Willis, 45, was arrested in Reno, Nev., on
charges of robbery possession of a controlled substance and trafficking in
a controlled substance. Willis was busted in his hotel room after a woman
told police that the macho musician struck her and robbed her of an
undisclosed amount of cash and a bracelet. Cops went to Willis’ Flamingo
room and found the woman’s belongings - and 45 grams of crack. Willis,
who was with the Village People from 1977 to 1979, when it recorded YMCA
and In the Navy, was unable to post bail. Willis, now a writer, left the
group in 1979 during the filing of Can’t Stop the Music and has been
singing the blues ever since. In 1981, he was charged with drug
possession when cops discovered cocaine and marijuana in his car after he
was stopped for speeding in Westchester County.

eve...@aol.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

The most mindboggling part of this story is that he was with a woman! The story I read quoted the woman as saying they were "socializing" in his hotel room (nice euphemism :) I tried to ignore disco as much as possible in the 70's, but I was under the impression that the Village People were tres gay(?)

Evelyn

puz...@aol.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

In article <19970216215...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, gosp3...@aol.com (Gosp311025) writes:

>Willis,
>who was with the Village People from 1977 to 1979, when it recorded YMCA
>and In the Navy, was unable to post bail. Willis, now a writer, left the
>group in 1979 during the filing of Can’t Stop the Music and has been
>singing the blues ever since.

Wasn't he married to Cosbys' tv wife? (brain fart, can't spell her name).

Puzz

HOLLY! Colt

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

puz...@aol.com wrote in article
<19970217024...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

That's Phylicia Rashad, don'tcha know....

--
HOLLY!
(all new for '97!!)

Miss Lo

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

In article <19970217022...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
eve...@aol.com writes

>In article <19970216215...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, gosp3...@aol.com
>(Gosp311025) writes:
>
>>From the NY Post, February 16.
>>
>>The cop from the 70’s disco group the Village People, whose smash hit was
>>YMCA, is singing JAIL after being busted for robbery and crack possession
>>yesterday. Victor Edward Willis, 45, was arrested in Reno, Nev., on
>>charges of robbery possession of a controlled substance and trafficking in
>>a controlled substance. Willis was busted in his hotel room after a woman
>>told police that the macho musician struck her and robbed her of an
>>undisclosed amount of cash and a bracelet. Cops went to Willis’ Flamingo
>>room and found the woman’s belongings - and 45 grams of crack. Willis,

>>who was with the Village People from 1977 to 1979, when it recorded YMCA
>>and In the Navy, was unable to post bail. Willis, now a writer, left the
>>group in 1979 during the filing of Can’t Stop the Music and has been
>>singing the blues ever since. In 1981, he was charged with drug
>>possession when cops discovered cocaine and marijuana in his car after he
>>was stopped for speeding in Westchester County.
>
>The most mindboggling part of this story is that he was with a woman! The story
>I read quoted the woman as saying they were "socializing" in his hotel room
>(nice euphemism :) I tried to ignore disco as much as possible in the 70's, but
>I was under the impression that the Village People were tres gay(?)

I was under this impression too, but I read somewhere (recently, in
fact) that he was going through a divorce. Coulda knocked me over with
a feather.
------------
Miss Lo
ASGTPR#29
"Ass, Gas, or Grass - no one rides for free"

--------------International Home of the Trailer Park Map---------------
<<http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/parade/aaj01>>

Robert Matthews

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

In article <g3rWYUAu...@netcomuk.co.uk>, Miss Lo
<aa...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

> >The most mindboggling part of this story is that he was with a woman!

The story
> >I read quoted the woman as saying they were "socializing" in his hotel room
> >(nice euphemism :) I tried to ignore disco as much as possible in the
70's, but
> >I was under the impression that the Village People were tres gay(?)
> >
> I was under this impression too, but I read somewhere (recently, in
> fact) that he was going through a divorce. Coulda knocked me over with
> a feather.

Shoulda been paying more attention; you would have seen that feather
coming.

Victor Willis was definitely one of the straight ones; he was married
to Phylicia Rashad (y'know, the wifey on "Cosby") for a while.

Felipe "Nelliest Indian in the West" Rose, David Hodo, and Glenn
Hughes, on the other hand, were definitely the gay ones. As for the other
two, who the hell knows? I can't even remember their names. But the group
never billed itself as all-gay, or all-anything, really.

Robert Matthews
on whom the Village People obviously made a big impression, long ago
--
pyr...@auracom.com

"Touchiness about animals and fish has also given us such
mincing euphemisms as 'harvest' for kill....Their object is to
suggest that hunting is really gathering: canning companies
like to put out flackery about 'harvesting' tuna, implying that
their far-seeing executives had sown the seeds of the albacore
and yellowfin and were now merely picking them when ripe."
Robert Hughes, "Culture of Complaint"

Catsswing

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

> Wasn't he married to Cosbys' tv wife? ( can't spell her
name)

>>That's Phylicia Rashad, don'tcha know....

P Rashad was married to the cop from the Village People? Whoa...

Ganyssa

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

I thought that was Debbie Allen?

Tamrah

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

Miss Lo wrote:

> In article <19970217022...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
> eve...@aol.com writes

> >I read quoted the woman as saying they were "socializing" in his hotel room

> >(nice euphemism :) I tried to ignore disco as much as possible in the 70's, but
> >I was under the impression that the Village People were tres gay(?)
> >

> I was under this impression too, but I read somewhere (recently, in
> fact) that he was going through a divorce. Coulda knocked me over with
> a feather.

> ------------
> Miss Lo

The Village People were performers. They were gay ICONS, just like
Bette Midler was. That doesn't mean they were gay. Most happened to
be, however, but not all.

Tamrah

mike rice

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

TDI <t...@dcez.com> wrote:

>Miss Lo wrote:
>>
>> In article <19970217022...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
>> eve...@aol.com writes

>*Rest of extranous stuff snipped*

>> >I was under the impression that the Village People were tres gay(?)
>> >
>> I was under this impression too, but I read somewhere (recently, in
>> fact) that he was going through a divorce. Coulda knocked me over with
>> a feather.
>> ------------
>> Miss Lo

>I think this guy is the one that was formerly married to Philicia Rashad
>... the TV wife of Bill Cosby in both his series. I know for a fact she
>was married to one of the Village People for a while and think that they
>even had a child together, a son? But, just because someone is married,
>doesn't mean they are not gay or bi!

>Tammi #30

The Village People's big hits are still played three and four times
a night at dance clubs I frequent. I think they are the only
survivors of the Disco era. If they could get an interesting
act together, they could tour as long and as profitably as the
Grateful Dead.

Mike Rice
mr...@centuryinter.net

Michael Lau

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

puz...@aol.com wrote:

> In article <19970216215...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
gosp3...@aol.com (Gosp311025) writes:

> >Willis,
> >who was with the Village People from 1977 to 1979, when it recorded YMCA
> >and In the Navy, was unable to post bail. Willis, now a writer, left the
> >group in 1979 during the filing of Can’t Stop the Music and has been
> >singing the blues ever since.
>

> Wasn't he married to Cosbys' tv wife? (brain fart, can't spell her name).

Phyllicia Rashad? She's married to a news/sports caster.

On a different note, who did "The Greaseman" dress up as in TVP? He hates
to talk about it/them.

puz...@aol.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

In article <5e9f8i$8c7$1...@thor.atcon.com>, pyr...@auracom.com (Robert Matthews) writes:

> Felipe "Nelliest Indian in the West" Rose, David Hodo, and Glenn
>Hughes, on the other hand, were definitely the gay ones.

How do you determine the 'nelliest indian in the west'? I keep
picturing two gunslingers meeting in the middle of the street, in
a dusty old town, LOL.

Holly,

I didn't know how to spell her name. I wanted to put 'Phyllisha Rashid',
but for some reason that didn't LOOK right. LMAO!!.

<<That's Phylicia Rashad, don'tcha know....>>

Puzz

michelle

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

Michael Lau wrote:

> puz...@aol.com wrote:
>

> > Wasn't he married to Cosbys' tv wife? (brain fart, can't spell her name).
>
> Phyllicia Rashad? She's married to a news/sports caster.

You know, past tense? Once upon a time a long time ago, pre-Cosby, not
just since the late 80s? She may have been married to this guy. I know
she has a son who must now be in his early to mid-20s.

--
Response to "Age before beauty"
"Pearls before swine."

--Dorothy Parker

Jim

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

Randy Jones was one of the other VP, he was the original Cowboy &
definately gay.

Robert Matthews <pyr...@auracom.com> wrote in article
<5e9f8i$8c7$1...@thor.atcon.com>...

> In article <g3rWYUAu...@netcomuk.co.uk>, Miss Lo

> > >The most mindboggling part of this story is that he was with a woman!
> The story

> > >I read quoted the woman as saying they were "socializing" in his hotel
room
> > >(nice euphemism :) I tried to ignore disco as much as possible in the
> 70's, but

> > >I was under the impression that the Village People were tres gay(?)
> > >
> > I was under this impression too, but I read somewhere (recently, in
> > fact) that he was going through a divorce. Coulda knocked me over with
> > a feather.
>

> Shoulda been paying more attention; you would have seen that feather
> coming.
>
> Victor Willis was definitely one of the straight ones; he was
married
> to Phylicia Rashad (y'know, the wifey on "Cosby") for a while.
>

> Felipe "Nelliest Indian in the West" Rose, David Hodo, and Glenn

Jim

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

yes, you are correct he was married to her. He also was later replaced in
the group by Ray Simpson,although I never knew the details as to why,
possibly drugs ? Jim

TDI <t...@dcez.com> wrote in article <330857...@dcez.com>...

> Miss Lo wrote:
> >
> > In article <19970217022...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
> > eve...@aol.com writes

> > >In article <19970216215...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
gosp3...@aol.com

> *Rest of extranous stuff snipped*
>

> > >I was under the impression that the Village People were tres gay(?)
> > >
> > I was under this impression too, but I read somewhere (recently, in
> > fact) that he was going through a divorce. Coulda knocked me over with
> > a feather.

jscallahan

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to t...@dcez.com

TDI wrote:

> Miss Lo wrote:
> >
> > In article <19970217022...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
> > eve...@aol.com writes

> *Rest of extranous stuff snipped*
>
> > >I was under the impression that the Village People were tres gay(?)
> > >
> > I was under this impression too, but I read somewhere (recently, in
> > fact) that he was going through a divorce. Coulda knocked me over with
> > a feather.
> > ------------
> > Miss Lo
>
> I think this guy is the one that was formerly married to Philicia Rashad
> ... the TV wife of Bill Cosby in both his series. I know for a fact she
> was married to one of the Village People for a while and think that they
> even had a child together, a son? But, just because someone is married,
> doesn't mean they are not gay or bi!
>
> Tammi #30
Most of the time I would agree but there was a lot more going on with
the VIllage People than anyone is wiiling to give credit to. Jacques
Morales put the group together using gay sterotypes from within the
community not strait ones. He also had Victor Willis, hetero African
American, sing the lead in the song "Village People" (tranlation: gay
and lesbians in NYC's Greenwich Village) "Village People, Your fight is
mine." This was no accident on Morales part.
A Village People Fan

Elisabeth Orr

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

mike rice wrote:

> TDI <t...@dcez.com> wrote:
>
> >Miss Lo wrote:
> >>
> >> In article <19970217022...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
> >> eve...@aol.com writes

> >*Rest of extranous stuff snipped*

> >> I was under this impression too, but I read somewhere (recently, in
> >> fact) that he was going through a divorce. Coulda knocked me over with
> >> a feather.
> >> ------------
> >> Miss Lo
>
> >I think this guy is the one that was formerly married to Philicia Rashad
> >... the TV wife of Bill Cosby in both his series. I know for a fact she
> >was married to one of the Village People for a while and think that they
> >even had a child together, a son? But, just because someone is married,
> >doesn't mean they are not gay or bi!
>
> >Tammi #30
>
> The Village People's big hits are still played three and four times
> a night at dance clubs I frequent. I think they are the only
> survivors of the Disco era. If they could get an interesting
> act together, they could tour as long and as profitably as the
> Grateful Dead.

There was a nice article in them in the music issue od *Details* this
summer (July?). It said a)they always have had gay & straight members
(the diff is, it was the STRAIGHTS who were supposed to be closeted) &
b)they DO tour. Play a lot of halftime shows and fairs, but they're
making $$$$$.

Peace,

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t
help them, at least don’t hurt them." - Dalai Lama
Elisabeth Orr - moving in at http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/lofts/1388

Stephen Gilliard

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

\
>> Wasn't he married to Cosbys' tv wife? (brain fart, can't spell her name).
>
>Phyllicia Rashad? She's married to a news/sports caster.

Before Cosby, she was a Broadway dancer. She also had a major coke
problem, blown nose and everything. Cosby gave her back a career many
thought had been snorted away.

http://www.interport.net/~gilliard
The Gilliard News

+Cicero+

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

"HOLLY! Colt" <dan...@ix.netcom.com> writes:

>> In article <19970216215...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
>gosp3...@aol.com (Gosp311025) writes:
>>

>> >Willis,
>> >who was with the Village People from 1977 to 1979, when it recorded YMCA
>> >and In the Navy, was unable to post bail. Willis, now a writer, left
>the
>> >group in 1979 during the filing of Can’t Stop the Music and has been
>> >singing the blues ever since.
>>

>> Wasn't he married to Cosbys' tv wife? (brain fart, can't spell her
>name).
>>

>That's Phylicia Rashad, don'tcha know....

Yes. Phylicia Allen (as in Debbie Allen's sister) then. Recorded a
tribute album, Josephine Baker Superstar, which featured the Village
People on backup as well as being produced by Morali/Belolo who also
did the VP. I believe Willis co-wrote some songs (as he often did
with VP). I'm sure she pretends none of it ever happened...

--
+Cicero+
1cc = 12dd

+Cicero+

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Tamrah <wil...@mint.net> writes:

>The Village People were performers. They were gay ICONS, just like
>Bette Midler was. That doesn't mean they were gay. Most happened to
>be, however, but not all.

In fact, the lead singers (there have been several over the years)
have (almost?) all been straight.

+Cicero+

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

m...@juno.com (mike rice) writes:

>The Village People's big hits are still played three and four times
>a night at dance clubs I frequent.

I'm frightened, and I love them. Where do you hang out?!!!

>I think they are the only survivors of the Disco era.

Hardly. Donna Summer and Gloria Gaynor, to mention two more. VP have
not had new material here in the states since 1980.

>If they could get an interesting act together, they could tour as
>long and as profitably as the Grateful Dead.

Where have you been? They've been touring since reforming in the mid
'80's. They still do major European and Autralian tours too. They
are still great, even though they've gone through several personnel
changes for various reasons. I had the pleasure of working with them
for a while in 1989. Although a producer's medium, they are all very
talented. I'm sorry that they never regained a successful recording
contract (they kind of screwed up their last chance).

JCFrasier

Mar 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/1/97

has anyone ever heard the VP album recorded in the early 1980's. i think
it was called "renaissance" and they ditched the individual costumes for
white makeup and matching outfits...saw them perform a song from it on
bandstand once and was shocked...they don't have this look anymore for
their shows, right?