Someone you were SURE was gay but isn't?

alan

Jan 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/1/96
sa...@netcom.com (Ellen Sasse) wrote:

>Did you ever hear a media figure you were *sure* was gay, and wasn't?

snip......

Well, I don't see how you can decide that someone "isn't".

Even if they used to date same sex people, and then married
and had children.

So many people are bi, or at least experiment enough during their
lives that there is only one way to describe them (bi) that I often
wonder at why we feel they have to be one or the other!

Having said that, I always thought Bill was gay, until he married
Hillary. But, since she's a l______, perhaps it doesn't mean as much
as I thought!

Alan

That is, because of, because of our,
that is, we are attempting,
the position is to withhold information
and to cover up - this is totally true -
you could say it is totally untrue.

-----Richard Milhouse Nixon

Jeff Kirk

Jan 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/1/96
In article <azlee.231...@azstarnet.com>, az...@azstarnet.com
says...

>In article <4c4phu$i...@mari.onr.com> kir...@onr.com (Jeff Kirk) writes:
>>From: kir...@onr.com (Jeff Kirk)
>>Subject: Re: Someone you were SURE was gay but isn't?
>>Date: 31 Dec 1995 01:38:06 GMT
>

>>>Anyhow, I was just remembering how, even as a kid, I would have
>>impressions
>>>about certain people I just felt were likely to be gay.
>
>>Well, I was "sure" Keanu was gay until relatively recently.
>
>>Jeff
>
>Jeff -
> NAh! This *can't* be because of his supposed fling with TWANS, is
>it? :-)

GOD no! I already know that's a load of crap. And as I said in a post
to Nancy, I didn't mean to imply that I don't still think he's gay/bi,
but rather that my certainty level has gone down in the past six months
or so.

Jeff

Maggie

Jan 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/1/96
In article <sasseDK...@netcom.com> sa...@netcom.com (Ellen Sasse) writes:

>Did you ever hear a media figure you were *sure* was gay, and wasn't?

For many years I was certain film critic Roger Ebert was gay. He was
unmarried and I made assumptions based on his appearance and some of the
more "sensitive" comments in his reviews. Then he got married, rather late
in life (late 30s, yearly 40s?). But this wasn't what convinced me he
isn't gay! I was commenting on the marriage to a friend of mine who
took a film class he taught at a university in his home town. She told
me that he (I'm cleaning this up a bit 'cause I know he's on the net)
dated many many females in the classes he took.

Maggie "who knew?" Newman

Jeff Kirk

Jan 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/1/96
In article <4c5a73$f...@merlin.delphi.com>, nlo...@mci.newscorp.com
says...

>kir...@onr.com (Jeff Kirk) wrote:
>
>>Well, I was "sure" Keanu was gay until relatively recently.
>>
>>Jeff
>>

>Jeff!!!!!JEFF!!!!! This from the man who would argue anyone into the
>corner about how sure he was that Keanu was gay!!!!! Do tell, what
>relatively recently made you question your previous point of view?

I thought we covered this months ago! I'm not saying I don't believe
he's gay or bi. I still do. However, the asg-ers here - as well as
Keanu's public statements on the matter - have convinced me that he
*might* be straight. I'm not 100% certain now - that was my point.

Jeff

Robyn Greenspan

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96

>: Did you ever hear a media figure you were *sure* was gay, and wasn't?

Paul Schaeffer from the Letterman Show.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
"Too much is never enough"
cont...@pipeline.com

C Lassiter

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
David Migicovsky (dmig...@interlog.com) wrote:
: In article <4c5a73$f...@merlin.delphi.com>,
: *NaNcY* <nlo...@mci.newscorp.com> wrote:

: >kir...@onr.com (Jeff Kirk) wrote:
: >
: >>Well, I was "sure" Keanu was gay until relatively recently.
: >>
: >>Jeff
: >>
: >
: >Jeff!!!!!JEFF!!!!! This from the man who would argue anyone into the
: >corner about how sure he was that Keanu was gay!!!!! Do tell, what
: >relatively recently made you question your previous point of view?

Oops, you don't remember that he removed himself from this conversation
some time ago.

: Can't speak for Jeff, but but he DOES like hockey and rock. In Canada that's
: usually better proof of heterosexuality than actual videotape of sex with a
: member of the opposite sex.

Then I guess the fact that I hate both....

: David (who confesses to having attended one hockey game in his life but is
: nevertheless queer as they come) Migicovsky

I'm sorry. Very sorry. (That you attended a hockey game.)

cl
_____________________
c.l. lassiter
sea...@email.unc.edu

Camille777

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
Hugh Grant
{Camille Kirkland}

Camille777

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
Christopher Walken
{Camille Kirkland}

thomas g taylor

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
Maggie <smne...@gsbkma.uchicago.edu> writes:

>>Did you ever hear a media figure you were *sure* was gay, and wasn't?

For years I was always told that singer Anne Murray was gay. I bought that
until she got married and started appearing on the cover of Redbook
along with Debbie Boone and the other celeb mommies. I suppose somebody
started thius rumor because she was a gym teacher at one point in her
life and she has that deep voice.

I really could care less, but Anne is vehemant(sp) against those rumors
and confesses heterosexuality for herself. I could care less..I just wish
Anne who has a great voice would get off the Croonin material and the
country schlock( I love good country) and do some kick ass singer/
songwriter stuff...like material by MC Carpenter, Cheryl Wheeler,
Ferron, Greg Brown, D Mallet etc. Her stuff the last 8 years is BORING

tom taylor
cockeysville. Md

steven r kleinedler

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
In article <DKJ0B...@midway.uchicago.edu>,

Maggie <smne...@gsbkma.uchicago.edu> wrote:

>For many years I was certain film critic Roger Ebert was gay. He was
>unmarried and I made assumptions based on his appearance and some of the
>more "sensitive" comments in his reviews. Then he got married, rather late
>in life (late 30s, yearly 40s?). But this wasn't what convinced me he
>isn't gay! I was commenting on the marriage to a friend of mine who
>took a film class he taught at a university in his home town. She told
>me that he (I'm cleaning this up a bit 'cause I know he's on the net)
>dated many many females in the classes he took.

Once I was buying some junk food at a minimart on Belmont in
Chicago, and I bolted out the door to run for the el 'cause I
didn't want to miss the next train, and I came within millimeters
of colliding with a very large man who had an attractive younger
female companion at his side. It wasn't till about 10 seconds
later that I realized I'd almost bowled into Ebert.

This anecdote is irrelevant w/r/t his orientation, but he's
never set off my gaydar and I always just assumed he was straight.

As far as the question is concerned, I kind of used to think
Matthew Broderick was, but I read an amusing interview with
Harvey Fierstein, whom I'm inclined to believe in such matters,
who said that he (Matthew) wasn't. Actually, I don't know if
I thought he was as much as it was wishful thinking.

--
This message has been brought to you by Steve Kleinedler.

Roger Mostad

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
In message <4cc2ka$2...@pipe10.nyc.pipeline.com> - cont...@nyc.pipeline.com (Ro

byn Greenspan) writes:
:>
:>
:>>
:>>: Did you ever hear a media figure you were *sure* was gay, and wasn't?
:>>
:>
:>
:>
:>Paul Schaeffer from the Letterman Show.
:>
:>
:>*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
:>"Too much is never enough"
:>cont...@pipeline.com
:>

Yeah but he is both "musical" and "Canadian" yet still not gay...

Roger... Roger_...@mindlink.bc.ca

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist?
I am glad I was not born before tea! -Sydney Smith

ka...@delphi.com

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96

.

>Not only is he apparently straight, I seem to remember reading here last year
>that he is extremely homophobic.

.
He's probably been fighting off drunk gay guys with no taste and
drunk straight gay-bashers for years.
.
A half hour ago I saw a clip of Ernest Borgnine on ET - especially
in his younger, McHale's Navy days - any rumors?
.
kassa

Lisa Rae

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
In article ka...@delphi.com replied to: Did you ever hear a media figure

you were *sure* was gay, and wasn't?
> I think we all wondered about that Tony Randall marriage a few weeks back.
> He's old enough to stay widowed (widowered?) and no one could possibly
> care enough about his sex life to make it necessary for him to have a
> beard, and the woman can't be expecting some glorious FAME out of
> having married Tony Randall...

Is his new bride the same woman he was with at the Oscars? He got points
from me for trying to push her as a "wonderful actress" whenever any of
the reporters asked about her (not many did.) I got the impression that
she starred with him in one of the Lobsterman films and that she had found
her, shall we be nice and say, stairway to heaven. Does anyone know?

Lisa Rae
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1995 highilights: Getting a personal flame from the Drudge.

Maggie

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
In article <DKL0w...@midway.uchicago.edu> srkl...@midway.uchicago.edu writes:

>As far as the question is concerned, I kind of used to think
>Matthew Broderick was, but I read an amusing interview with
>Harvey Fierstein, whom I'm inclined to believe in such matters,
>who said that he (Matthew) wasn't. Actually, I don't know if
>I thought he was as much as it was wishful thinking.

Well if anybody knows it's gotta be Harvey, since they were in bed
together on film in Torch Song Trilogy!

Oh Steve, I wonder if you figured out what University I was referring to
in my original post....

Maggie "harvad of the mid" Newman

David Migicovsky

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
In article <4cbhai$14...@bigblue.oit.unc.edu>,

sea...@email.unc.edu (C Lassiter) wrote:

>: Can't speak for Jeff, but but he DOES like hockey and rock. In Canada
that's
>: usually better proof of heterosexuality than actual videotape of sex with a
>: member of the opposite sex.
>
>Then I guess the fact that I hate both....
>

>: David (who confesses to having attended one hockey game in his life but is
>: nevertheless queer as they come) Migicovsky
>
>I'm sorry. Very sorry. (That you attended a hockey game.)
>
>cl
>_____________________
>c.l. lassiter
>sea...@email.unc.edu

It wasn't my fault! Someone gave my father free tickets! It was the only game
he ever attended too.

Further to the hockey theory, I did further research at work today. Two of the
men I questioned could not name a single acquaintance who likes hockey,
although they both knew gay men who have had sex with women (10% from one, 30%
from the other)

A third man insists that more gay men like hockey than sex with women, but
hey, he's a hockey fan.

So at my office anyway, 3 out of 4 homos agree that liking hockey is absolute
proof of heterosxuality in men. As soon as I ask a fifth one, I'll get back to
the group with our opinion of sugarless gum.

David Migicovsky
dmig...@interlog.com

David Migicovsky

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
In article <4ccmqq$b...@fountain.mindlink.net>,
Roger_...@mindlink.bc.ca (Roger Mostad) wrote:

>:>"Too much is never enough"
>:>cont...@pipeline.com
>:>
>
>Yeah but he is both "musical" and "Canadian" yet still not gay...

>Roger... Roger_...@mindlink.bc.ca
>
>Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist?
>I am glad I was not born before tea! -Sydney Smith

In addition to being musical and Canadian, Paul Shaffer is also Jewish.

Which brings me to another one of my twisted theories--that effeminacy is a
sign of heterosexuality in Jewish, Canadian, males.

Being Jewish, Canadian, and gay, I have noticed that most of the straight
Canadian Jewish men I know would rate far lower on traditional masculinity
than the gay Jewish men I know.

David's rule: Show me a Jewish man who owns a drill and isn't a dentist, and
I'll show you a gay Jewish man.

David (who owns a drill) Migicovsky
dmig...@interlog.com

ob-gossip I used to work with a straight Jewish man who grew up in Thunder Bay
with Paul Shaffer. He (the guy I worked with) wasn't mechanically inclined
enough to turn on a television.

Michael S Ritchie

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
>In article ka...@delphi.com replied to: Did you ever hear a media figure
>you were *sure* was gay, and wasn't?
>> I think we all wondered about that Tony Randall marriage a few weeks back.

I had always assumed that Robert Morse was gay. A couple of people
who met him at a theater department function at Ohio State many
years ago assured me that he was. Imagine my surprise when, in
an interview with the Advocate (!) a few years ago (around the
time he was in the Toronto production of Show Boat), he discussed
his recent marriage, a la Mr. Randall, to a much younger woman.
The only reference to gayness in the entire interview had to do
with his appearance in "Tru," and his sorrow over losing many
friends to AIDS. It's OK, though; some of my best friends are
straight!

--
Michael Ritchie
mrit...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

"Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality"
--Oscar Wilde

Toni

David Migicovsky

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
In article <4ceh24$h...@agate.berkeley.edu>,

Not only is he apparently straight, I seem to remember reading here last year

Susan Elizabeth

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
>For many years I was certain film critic Roger Ebert was gay. He was
>unmarried and I made assumptions based on his appearance and some of
the
>more "sensitive" comments in his reviews. Then he got married, rather
late
>in life (late 30s, yearly 40s?). But this wasn't what convinced me he
>isn't gay! I was commenting on the marriage to a friend of mine who
>took a film class he taught at a university in his home town. She told
>me that he (I'm cleaning this up a bit 'cause I know he's on the net)
>dated many many females in the classes he took.

Aw, c'mon! Don't clean this up! Tell everyone about his ropes and such....

Susan Elizabeth

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
I think we all wondered about that Tony Randall marriage a few weeks back.

>He's old enough to stay widowed (widowered?) and no one could possibly

>care enough about his sex life to make it necessary for him to have a
>beard, and the woman can't be expecting some glorious FAME out of
>having married Tony Randall...

Seems to me I read in some pseudo-psychiatric gossip book years ago
Randall was quoted as saying he was bisexual.

Kristi Coulter

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
Well, I've always wondered about Barry Manilow. I could swear he's gay,
but every now and then some "long-time girlfriend" is mentioned, a la
another poster's Scott Hamilton.

Lori Petty's another one I pegged wrong, apparently.

Kristi

kri...@k.imap.itd.umich.edu

Elizabeth A Esser

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
Well, I was sure that Rupert Graves was gay, till I said something about
it to a friend, and she said, "where did you hear he was gay?" And I
said, "*You* told me!" and she said, "No I didn't!" And I said, "Yes YOU
DID!!" and we went on like this for a while until we finally figured out
that she *did* say that, but she *meant* Rupert Everett. Oops.

So now I'm confused. Is Rupert GRAVES gay, or not?? I've held on to the
idea for so long that I can't accept that he might be straight. Although,
he *did* play a very convincing bisexual in Design for Living on the West End.
Hmmm...

Liza, who wonders why so many people in England would name their kids
"Rupert", anyway

Liza Esser <elizabe...@yale.edu> Save a tree: /\
http://pantheon.cis.yale.edu/~esser/ e-mail instead. /__\
Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies ||

C Lassiter

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
David Migicovsky (dmig...@interlog.com) wrote:

: David's rule: Show me a Jewish man who owns a drill and isn't a dentist, and

: I'll show you a gay Jewish man.

: David (who owns a drill) Migicovsky
: dmig...@interlog.com

Well, I'm not a dentist, and I have quite a nice drill, thanks. Oh, you
mean an *electric* drill, don't you?

cl, who's not Jewish neither

_____________________
c.l. lassiter
sea...@email.unc.edu

Robert Matthews

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
In article <4cgqso$9...@cloner3.netcom.com>, crs...@ix.netcom.com (Craig
Smith) wrote:

> pam...@wantree.com.au (Pamela Smith) wrote:
>
> > Brent Spiner
>
> Bzzzzz! Thank you for playing our game.
>
> His live-in girlfriend is his manager and his beard. Old green eyes
> is gay.
>
> Craig
> who's giddy that Levar Burton is too; god, the whole cast was rife
> with 'em!

Is he? Jeez, what I don't know about the private lives of celebrities
would fill a pretty big book. Good for him, I say; with some facial hair
(a beard to tone down those very big eyes and lips) he's keee-yoooot.
Brent Spiner, though, you can keep; in or out of makeup he looks like a
department-store mannequin, and he's the hammiest actor ever to appear on
STTNG, which is saying a lot.

Years ago, when STTNG was still on the air, Michael Musto printed a
blind item to the effect that one of the cast members was hung like a bull
moose. Any idea who it was? I think every male on that show was cited at
one point or another in the gossip I heard and read, but with those Lycra
costumes it's hard to believe that *any* of them had anything out of the
ordinary, unless they used what RuPaul calls "an award-winning tuck". And
it's not in the Anti-FAQ, either. So who knows?

Robert Matthews

Zorak

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
Toni <ton...@uclink2.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>****SCOTT HAMILTON!!*** The pro-figureskater

Quite frankly, I'm surprised when any prominent male figure skater is
straight. Virtually all of them have set off my gaydar.

Oops, one big exception -- Russian male skaters. For some reason, as a
whole they seem quite butch. This, of course, doesn't mean they're
straight, but I'm not surprised when they are.

- Kathy

P.S. Is Scott Hamilton really homophobic? That's unconscionable under
any circumstances, but given the amount of gay men in figure skating I
can't believe he's become a spokesman for his sport if he truly has
expressed homophobic feelings.

Tonia Lorenz

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
Maggie (smne...@gsbkma.uchicago.edu) wrote:

: For many years I was certain film critic Roger Ebert was gay.

The only semi-gossip-worthy thing I've heard is that he's a recovering
alcoholic. And that he's gone Pritiken in the last few years (since his
marriage).

Pretty boring dirt, eh? Paraphrased as, "he tries to take care of his
health."

- Tonia

Rusty Wilson

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
Does anybody know about French actress Valerie Quennessen? She played
a big role in FRENCH POST CARDS (which was the first film for Debra
Winger, Blanche Baker, and a few other actors), SUMMER LOVERS with
Daryl Hannah (a young man's dream on a Greek island) and was the
princess that Schwarznegger tried to save in Conan the Barbarian. I
have not heard about her in years and wondered whatever happened to
her.

Joey M.

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
On 3 Jan 1996 23:43:28 GMT, dmig...@interlog.com (David Migicovsky)
wrote:

>>****SCOTT HAMILTON!!*** The pro-figureskater

>Not only is he apparently straight, I seem to remember reading here last year

>that he is extremely homophobic.

And so God dammned him to the faggy world of figure skating. Serves
him right!!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~
Joey

Mary Campbell

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96

Jeremy Brett - married twice, the first time to actress Anna Massey.

Perhaps in view of the recent revelations by Mrs. Denholm Elliott
and our suspicions about every other married celebrity, we oughta
rename this thread "Someone you were SURE wasn't married, but is".

Craig Smith

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96

Htos Drol

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
In article <4cflbt$k...@ixnews6.ix.netcom.com> jmb...@ix.netcom.com (Joey M.) writes:
>From: jmb...@ix.netcom.com (Joey M.)
>Subject: Re: Someone you were SURE was gay but isn't?
>Date: Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:29:01 GMT

>>>****SCOTT HAMILTON!!*** The pro-figureskater

I'd be homophobic, too, if I had to share the same Olympics with Brian
Boitano (sp?).

Dave

Michael S Ritchie

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
In article <jimbob-0401...@jimbob.mi.net>,

Robert Matthews <jim...@itchy.mi.net> wrote:

> Years ago, when STTNG was still on the air, Michael Musto printed a
>blind item to the effect that one of the cast members was hung like a bull
>moose. Any idea who it was? I think every male on that show was cited at
>one point or another in the gossip I heard and read, but with those Lycra
>costumes it's hard to believe that *any* of them had anything out of the
>ordinary, unless they used what RuPaul calls "an award-winning tuck". And
>it's not in the Anti-FAQ, either. So who knows?

Based on the pirate ship scene in the Generations movie, it's
Patrick Stewart; I damn near choked on my popcorn when I saw
his "package" on the big screen!

--Michael

G. Tong

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
> >In article ka...@delphi.com replied to: Did you ever hear a media figure
> >you were *sure* was gay, and wasn't?

Fred Astaire. I mean, he used ties for belts!

--
G. Tong
gt...@sirius.com

"Every infinity is composed of only two halves."

Joey M.

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
On Mon, 1 Jan 1996 23:38:11 GMT, smne...@gsbkma.uchicago.edu (Maggie)
wrote:

>In article <sasseDK...@netcom.com> sa...@netcom.com (Ellen Sasse) writes:
>>

>>Did you ever hear a media figure you were *sure* was gay, and wasn't?
>>

>For many years I was certain film critic Roger Ebert was gay. He was
>unmarried and I made assumptions based on his appearance and some of the
>more "sensitive" comments in his reviews. Then he got married, rather late
>in life (late 30s, yearly 40s?). But this wasn't what convinced me he
>isn't gay! I was commenting on the marriage to a friend of mine who
>took a film class he taught at a university in his home town. She told
>me that he (I'm cleaning this up a bit 'cause I know he's on the net)
>dated many many females in the classes he took.

He also wrote "Beyond The Valley of the Dolls", though I'm not sure
WHAT that says about his sexual orientation!
~~~~~~~~~~
Joey

Jet Silverman

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
Michael S Ritchie (mrit...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu) wrote:
:
: Based on the pirate ship scene in the Generations movie, it's

: Patrick Stewart; I damn near choked on my popcorn when I saw
: his "package" on the big screen!

Me, too. WOW! More than any white man should have. :)

Jet Silverman

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
Craig Smith (crs...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

: pam...@wantree.com.au (Pamela Smith) wrote:
:
: > Brent Spiner
:
: Bzzzzz! Thank you for playing our game.
:
: His live-in girlfriend is his manager and his beard. Old green eyes
: is gay.
:

Craig, you are totally wrong. Spiner is as straight as they come. And his
eyes are blue, btw.

MDS

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
In article <4ci2a4$s...@cloner3.netcom.com>,
According to all the interviews/stories I've read regarding the
making of "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" (my all-time favorite
movie, btw!), Roger Ebert and Russ Meyer collaborated on the film
because they both shared a <ahem> *fondness* for extremely busty
gals. I've also heard that Ebert was quite the swinging (het) single
in his day.

--Miriam

Miriam Sealock "Mmmm...Sacrilicious!"
dov...@wam.umd.edu --Homer Simpson