Is Becky gay?

Chooi Siew H.

Mar 16, 1995, 7:57:01 PM3/16/95
Is the actress who played Becky No.1 gay?

Rylot

Mar 18, 1995, 2:48:06 PM3/18/95
Lecy Goranson looked and sounded like a real person (which seems the
keynote of Rosanne casting generally). New Becky looks like an actress.
Not the sort of pretty young woman you see at the mall--the kind you see
on MP.

Can someone tell me----Why did Lecy leave in the first place?

Catherine Charron

Mar 18, 1995, 2:54:57 PM3/18/95
Veronica Karabey (v...@umcc.umich.edu) wrote:
: In article <3kd9n1$d...@ixnews2.ix.netcom.com>, kir...@ix.netcom.com
: (Jeffrey Kirk) wrote:
: [original question deleted]
: > On "Roseanne"? You might want to be clearer on things like this. And
: > no, I haven't heard anything abot Lecy Goranson (the actress' name)
: > being gay. Actually, my roommate who works in research at ABC has told
: > me that the new Becky isn't going over too well and that they're trying
: > to bring back Lecy (though she hasn't committed).

: Bring Lecy *back*? Really? Gawd. She always seemed to be a perpetual
: fifteen year old with a massive whiney-angst driven performance. I thought
: that Sarah Chaulke was turning out just fine...Who knew?

: -Vicki.

I really liked Lecy. Sarah is sort of bimboesque and just doesn't bring
the same white-trash angst that Lecy had. Plus, I loved her accent.

Kate

Tim & Laurie McCanna

Mar 18, 1995, 4:20:15 PM3/18/95
In <3kfdqh$a...@cronkite.seas.gwu.edu> kate...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
(Catherine Charron) writes:

plus Sarah can't act at all ... she looks like she barely remember her
lines most of the time

tim

Jeffrey Kirk

Mar 18, 1995, 6:23:59 PM3/18/95

As I recall, she left to go to Vassar. However, she apparently quit
after a year and moved back to L.A. Still, when she got back she
apparently decided she was "too good for sitcoms" or something like
that. Apparently she's changed her tune!

Btw, I agree that Lecy looks less like an "actress", but her perpetual
whining was annoying beyond words!

Jeff

Jillraci

Mar 19, 1995, 2:27:11 AM3/19/95
Rylot (ry...@aol.com) wrote:
: Lecy Goranson looked and sounded like a real person (which seems the

The story goes that the original Becky was involved with a much older
writer or staffer on Roseanne and that the relationship began when she
was still a minor. The writer or staffer got canned, in part because of
the relationship, and she left too. I recall a photo in People of the
two of them moving her things into his house.

VS Atkinson

Mar 19, 1995, 2:55:06 AM3/19/95

In article <3kgmcf$n...@enterprise.america.com>,

jill...@enterprise.america.com (Jillraci) wrote:
> The story goes that the original Becky was involved with a much older
> writer or staffer on Roseanne and that the relationship began when she
> was still a minor. The writer or staffer got canned, in part because of
> the relationship, and she left too. I recall a photo in People of the
> two of them moving her things into his house.

Then, of course, there are the parts as well where she (Lecy) went to
Vassar, left after a semester, went back to LA. So I've no idea as far as
chronology or where she is now, what her sign is, whatever.
But...They just can't bring her *back*? What?! Are we, the viewing public,
playthings? Toys with which they tinker and laugh!?
Oh. That's right. We are.
-Vicki.

Jeffrey Kirk

Mar 19, 1995, 12:14:06 PM3/19/95
In <3kgmcf$n...@enterprise.america.com> jill...@enterprise.america.com
(Jillraci) writes:

Funny, I've never heard anything about this. And I seriously doubt
there would be pictures in People of something like this!

Jeff

Daynaaa

Mar 19, 1995, 12:16:05 PM3/19/95
I heard she had an affair with a producer of Roseanne and that's why she
quit/was fired.

Barbara MacRae

Mar 19, 1995, 9:12:49 PM3/19/95
In article <3kfq2f$k...@ixnews4.ix.netcom.com> kir...@ix.netcom.com (Jeffrey Kirk) writes:
>In <3kfddn$e...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> ry...@aol.com (Rylot) writes:
>
>>Can someone tell me----Why did Lecy leave in the first place?
>
>As I recall, she left to go to Vassar. However, she apparently quit
>after a year and moved back to L.A. Still, when she got back she
>apparently decided she was "too good for sitcoms" or something like
>that. Apparently she's changed her tune!

Okay, what I heard (and I can't vouch for any of it) is that
Lecy had an affair with someone involved with the show, not an
actor but I dunno if it was a stagehand or production assistant
or what, but he was much older and Roseanne was really upset
so she let Lecy go. Lecy then went to college, where she became
heavily involved with drugs. She dropped out, and came back to
Hollywood where she's working as a teen drug counselor, presumably
having cleaned up her act. I also hear she would love her old job
back, but Roseanne doesn't like her and isn't interested.

-Barb

Jillraci

Mar 19, 1995, 10:39:47 PM3/19/95
: (Jillraci) writes:
: >The story goes that the original Becky was involved with a much older
: >writer or staffer on Roseanne and that the relationship began when she
: >was still a minor. The writer or staffer got canned, in part because
: of
: >the relationship, and she left too. I recall a photo in People of the
: >two of them moving her things into his house.
: >
: >
: >
: Funny, I've never heard anything about this. And I seriously doubt
: there would be pictures in People of something like this!

: Jeff

I remember this mainly because at the time Roseanne had just begun to
talk about her own history of abuse (and talk and talk, but never mind.
She's still an icon) and it was implied that *that* was what set her off.
I remember the picture because the quality was kinda bad and probably
made Lecy look worse than she might on her driver's license.

Besides.....the show made arrangements for Sara Gilbert to go to college
without having to leave the show entirely...which is why her character
went away to school in Chicago.

BTW, did Sara have her nose done?

Jeffrey Kirk

Mar 19, 1995, 11:49:12 PM3/19/95

Well, I can't vouch for the affair and drug use stuff, but from what I
understand (and this is from my roommate at ABC who definitely knows
this stuff) Roseanne wants her back on the show, but Lecy's the one who
isn't interested (at least for the moment). ABC research has showed
that most fans just don't like the new Becky, so they want the old one
to come back. And don't think ABC doesn't pay attention to its
research. Did you notice how, for instance, "Ellen" and "All-American
Girl" have metamorphosized since their inceptions? It was all because
of their viewer research!

Jeff

Jillraci

Mar 20, 1995, 6:58:35 PM3/20/95
Jeffrey Kirk (kir...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: >
: >
: Well, I can't vouch for the affair and drug use stuff, but from what I
: understand (and this is from my roommate at ABC who definitely knows
: this stuff) Roseanne wants her back on the show, but Lecy's the one who
: isn't interested (at least for the moment). ABC research has showed
: that most fans just don't like the new Becky, so they want the old one
: to come back. And don't think ABC doesn't pay attention to its
: research. Did you notice how, for instance, "Ellen" and "All-American
: Girl" have metamorphosized since their inceptions? It was all because
: of their viewer research!

: Jeff

I don't know about not "liking" the new Becky (they say she's the same,
but she's not the same) but every time I look at her I gotta wonder how
they expect us to believe she came out of the Connor gene pool, not to
mention how she wound up married to the demon Mark. Maybe if they did an
episode explaining that Roseanne had an affair with Mark Harmon around
the time of Becky's conception......

Tammi A Yiakoumatos

Mar 21, 1995, 5:11:19 AM3/21/95
: >the relationship, and she left too. I recall a photo in People of the
: >two of them moving her things into his house.
: >
: >
: >
: Funny, I've never heard anything about this. And I seriously doubt
: there would be pictures in People of something like this!

: Jeff

Jeff,

Sad but true. I remember the photos, it was right after she left Vassar.

I'm also one who likes the old Becky better. She was such a little
whiner, and she had way better interaction with all the family members
(especially Darlene, who RULES) and with Mark.

Tammi

BLo

Mar 21, 1995, 5:40:02 PM3/21/95
kir...@ix.netcom.com (Jeffrey Kirk) writes:

> And don't think ABC doesn't pay attention to its
>research. Did you notice how, for instance, "Ellen" and "All-American
>Girl" have metamorphosized since their inceptions? It was all because
>of their viewer research!

In AAG's case, at least, their research must've been pretty shoddy, because the
new AAG is about a million times worse than the old one (which already sucked
pretty bad). What was once an Asian American version of Family Matters is now
a biracial version of Wild Oats (a FOX sitcom about 20-ish roommates which was
cancelled after only a couple episodes).

Jeffrey Kirk

Mar 21, 1995, 8:11:29 PM3/21/95

You're totally right. Word has it that AAG won't be around next season
since its "reincarnation" has failed miserably. Which is kinda sad,
because Margaret Cho is an incredibly talented comedienne. The first
time I saw her (a few years ago on "The Dennis Miller Show") I was
literally falling out of my seat with laughter! Unfortunately, even the
best comediennes can be sunk with shitty material (just look at Janeane
Garofalo!).

Jeff

Steve Griffiths

Mar 22, 1995, 2:12:58 AM3/22/95
Jillraci (jill...@enterprise.america.com) wrote:

: Besides.....the show made arrangements for Sara Gilbert to go to college

: without having to leave the show entirely...which is why her character
: went away to school in Chicago.

: BTW, did Sara have her nose done?

Yes, she had a nose job. Probably the same surgeon as Roseanne. Sara
was public about the whole thing, and made some comments that looks
aren't everything but if it makes you feel happier to have the surgery,
then go for it!

Steve

Cynthia M. Abundabar

Mar 24, 1995, 12:07:33 AM3/24/95
AAG was gokay the first few shows... being Asian it was cool to see an
Asian female making it out there. Margaret Cho is hilarious.... too bad
the writers waste her talent.

Cyndi

Life may suck but I can always suck harder.

debbiec...@yahoo.com

Dec 1, 2019, 1:57:50 AM12/1/19
Agreed