Anne Murray daughter using controversal anorexia clinic

Message has been deleted

Fiona McQuarrie

Jul 25, 2002, 12:13:43 PM7/25/02
Starr Struk <starr...@lycos.com> wrote:
: From the Vancouver (Canada) Sun Newspaper, July 25, 2002

: VICTORIA -- Anne Murray's daughter received treatment for anorexia --
: and paid more than half a million dollars for it -- at a controversial
: eating disorder clinic that authorities want shut down.
: Dawn Langstroth, the 23-year-old daughter of the Canadian singing
: icon, was a patient at the Montreux Clinic from August 2000 to April
: 2002, according to court documents filed by the Vancouver Island
: Health Authority.
: The health authority wants the clinic, which received international
: attention after it was profiled on U.S. television shows such as
: Oprah, closed.
: It alleges the clinic is operating without holding the necessary
: licence, and is putting patients at risk. It also says Montreux has
: provided 24-hour care for six patients -- including Langstroth --
: contrary to restrictions laid down last year by the health authority.
: Clinic founder Peggy Claude-Pierre and other Montreux officials could
: not be reached for comment, but have denied the allegations in court
: documents.

Another celeb patient at this clinic was Lena Zavaroni (the kid singer
from Britain). I believe she died of a heart attack brought on by the
physical strain of anorexia after returning to the UK.

Fiona

Mary Campbell

Jul 25, 2002, 1:09:33 PM7/25/02
Fiona McQuarrie (mcqu...@sfu.ca) writes:
> Starr Struk <starr...@lycos.com> wrote:
> : From the Vancouver (Canada) Sun Newspaper, July 25, 2002
>
> : VICTORIA -- Anne Murray's daughter received treatment for anorexia --
> : and paid more than half a million dollars for it -- at a controversial
> : eating disorder clinic that authorities want shut down.
> : Dawn Langstroth, the 23-year-old daughter of the Canadian singing
> : icon, was a patient at the Montreux Clinic from August 2000 to April
> : 2002, according to court documents filed by the Vancouver Island
> : Health Authority.
> : The health authority wants the clinic, which received international
> : attention after it was profiled on U.S. television shows such as
> : Oprah, closed.
>
> Another celeb patient at this clinic was Lena Zavaroni (the kid singer
> from Britain). I believe she died of a heart attack brought on by the
> physical strain of anorexia after returning to the UK.

I'm surprised that the Montreux clinic is still open. I thought they were
ordered to close some time ago - after the story broke about the
4-year-old boy they were treating.

Fiona McQuarrie

Jul 25, 2002, 4:12:05 PM7/25/02
Mary Campbell <cc...@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote:

They were ordered to close - or at least the health authority withdrew
their license to operate. It seems they have been operating undercover for
some time after that.

Fiona

Mary Campbell

Jul 25, 2002, 4:45:28 PM7/25/02

I wonder where they got their staff. IIRC it was because of complaints
from their staff that they got into trouble in the first place so
presumably the original staff had to be replaced. Who would work in a
clinic that had lost its operating license, and what kind of
qualifications would they have? Sounds dangerous.

maryanne kehoe

Jul 25, 2002, 5:39:39 PM7/25/02
>snip

A friend of mine that worked at Dutch radio in the early 1970's
interviewed Lena right after her first hit "Mom, He's Making Eyes At Me"
charted in Europe. He thought she was thin *back then*.

Fiona McQuarrie

Jul 25, 2002, 5:55:22 PM7/25/02
Mary Campbell <cc...@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote:
: Fiona McQuarrie (mcqu...@sfu.ca) writes:

People who believe that Peggy Claude-Pierre is performing a valuable
service and is being hounded and discriminated against by the evil medical
establishment who don't want to see someone undermine their authority and
prove their knowledge is wrong.
(Yes, it is dangerous....)

Fiona

azindn

Jul 26, 2002, 12:24:14 AM7/26/02
Fiona McQuarrie <mcqu...@sfu.ca> wrote in message news:<ahps4a$j5l$1...@morgoth.sfu.ca>...

> Mary Campbell <cc...@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote:
> : Fiona McQuarrie (mcqu...@sfu.ca) writes:
> :> Mary Campbell <cc...@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote:
> :> : Fiona McQuarrie (mcqu...@sfu.ca) writes:
> :> :> Starr Struk <starr...@lycos.com> wrote:
> :> :> : From the Vancouver (Canada) Sun Newspaper, July 25, 2002

> People who believe that Peggy Claude-Pierre is performing a valuable

> service and is being hounded and discriminated against by the evil medical
> establishment who don't want to see someone undermine their authority and
> prove their knowledge is wrong.
> (Yes, it is dangerous....)
>
> Fiona

What do they do that is so dangerous? Outside of operating without a
license, what is the treatment?

Mary Campbell

Jul 26, 2002, 1:09:22 AM7/26/02

Peggy Claude-Pierre's treatment of anorexics is based on her theory that
they suffer from extremely low self-esteem that is established at birth.
She seems to emphasize lots of hugs and affection and claims that she
succeeds without the use of drugs or forcible feeding.

Apparently this isn't true. The Montreux clinic lost its licence because
of complaints by some former staff members who were concerned over the
quality of care given to the patients, including errors in medication and
inappropriate methods of force-feeding (some relatives of the patients
complained as well).

To me, any clinic that is treating patients with a life-threatening
illness and has lost its license to operate but is still operating
undercover would be dangerous regardless of whatever treatment they used.
What kind of staff members would they attract? Qualified, dedicated
people would prefer to work for a clinic that operated legitimately, so
who's left?

And if they're operating undercover, there's no outside agency to
supervise and make sure that the patients are treated well. These
patients are young people who live at the clinic for months on end without
their families and are already physically frail and psychologically
vulnerable. Claude-Pierre herself has no medical credentials - anything
could happen.

E Varden

Jul 26, 2002, 1:01:30 PM7/26/02

azindn wrote:

> What do they do that is so dangerous? Outside of operating without a
> license, what is the treatment?

Do a Google search, "Peggy Claude-Pierre critics" and decide for
yourself.

I think she's a helper. eg:

http://www.virtualcity.com/youthsuicide/sathewo3.htm

Pe (I'd send my child to her in a New York Minute.)

mikes wife

Jul 26, 2002, 9:09:03 PM7/26/02
starr...@lycos.com (Starr Struk) wrote in message news:<b67f5994.02072...@posting.google.com>...

> From the Vancouver (Canada) Sun Newspaper, July 25, 2002
>
> VICTORIA -- Anne Murray's daughter received treatment for anorexia --
> and paid more than half a million dollars for it -- at a controversial
> eating disorder clinic that authorities want shut down.
> Dawn Langstroth, the 23-year-old daughter of the Canadian singing
> icon, was a patient at the Montreux Clinic from August 2000 to April
> 2002, according to court documents filed by the Vancouver Island
> Health Authority.

Is it really possible to stay in a clinic that long? I thought there
were shorter programs..

ANIM8Rfsk

Jul 26, 2002, 10:47:39 PM7/26/02
<< Is it really possible to stay in a clinic that long? I thought there
were shorter programs.. >>

Good way to die; that's how they used to kill anorexics, weakend their hearts
with the rapid weight gain, which is worse than the loss.

nimue

Jul 28, 2002, 10:51:15 PM7/28/02

"mikes wife" <mrsmik...@c4.com> wrote in message

Absolutely. There are drug treatment programs that require stays of 18
months or more. They are often called therapeutic communities. AFAIAC,
these places are cults - sick, sick, sick. Some of these places will take
people with anorexia if they also have a drug problem (and they often do).