Gossip Past: Dinah Shore Scandal

Linda Cauthen

Dec 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/4/97

Joyela wrote:

> I was in this discussion about Mr. M. Jackson's pale child, when
> someone brought up this point:
>
> "Many, many years ago there was a tremendous scandal when popular
> singer
> Dinah Shore (Blonde haired and blue eyed) went through a divorce
> because
> she bore a child that was obviously black. Naturally her caucasian
> husband thought she had been unfaithful. Actually it revealed a
> family
> skeleton--apparently Dinah Shore's mother had conceived her in an
> extra-martial affair with a black man. Her mother thought that,
> somehow
> she had been spared the shame when Dinah was born so blonde."
>
> Anybody ever heard about this??? Can you elaborate???!
>
> -- Joyela!
> Surf and Have Fun :>!

Sounds like total fantasy to me. Dinah was wed to George Montgomery from
1943 until 1962 and had one daughter in 1948. She had a brief marriage
in 1963 and a longer romance with the much-younger Burt Reynolds,
neither of which produced a child, probably becuase she was already 46
in 1963.
And she wasn't born a blonde - in her early movies, she was a brunette.

Linda ASGTPR#49

Joyela

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

michelle

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

I heard this rumor a long time ago. Dinah claimed it wasn't true, but
her mother claimed otherwise. I had been wondering about this.
--
For e-mail respond to MCwright at worldnet dot att dot net

Response to "Age before beauty"
"Pearls before swine."

--Dorothy Parker
ASGTP #622

G. M. Lupo

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

Joyela wrote:

> "Many, many years ago there was a tremendous scandal when popular
> singer Dinah Shore (Blonde haired and blue eyed) went through a divorce

> because she bore a child that was obviously black... Actually it

> revealed a family skeleton--apparently Dinah Shore's mother had
> conceived her in an extra-martial affair with a black man. Her mother
> thought that, somehow she had been spared the shame when Dinah was born
> so blonde."

I have heard that she was of mixed race, but not the details of it. It
was actually actually more common in the South that people are willing
to admit. In fact, Louisiana has a law still on their books that
specifies that if a person has a certain percentage of "black blood" in
their family, that person is black. There was a report on one of the
news shows a few years ago about a woman in LA who had been born and
raised as a white person, but due to this law, was classifies as black.
One of her great-great-grandparents had been black.

Matt Lupo

Matt Lupo

--
G. M. Lupo: ham...@lupo.com
P.O. Box 161963, Atlanta, GA 30321-1963

GO8GO

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

A famous quote from Moms Mabley:

"I don't know where the story comes that she's mixed race. The truth is, she's
Jewish, but honey, she don't talk about that either."

Bits 'n Pieces

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

Not fantasy....the mother admitted the fact. Dinah has mixed parentage. As
far as physical characteristics..it depends on the dominant traits.

BTW, has anyone ever suggested a DNA test for MJ and his #2 spouse? And how
is it possible to know the sex of an unborn child at three weeks?!? Money
talks, BS walks...
Linda Cauthen wrote in message <348716...@earthlink.net>...

>Joyela wrote:
>>
>> I was in this discussion about Mr. M. Jackson's pale child, when
>> someone brought up this point:
>>

>> "Many, many years ago there was a tremendous scandal when popular
>> singer
>> Dinah Shore (Blonde haired and blue eyed) went through a divorce
>> because

>> she bore a child that was obviously black. Naturally her caucasian

>> husband thought she had been unfaithful. Actually it revealed a

>> family
>> skeleton--apparently Dinah Shore's mother had conceived her in an
>> extra-martial affair with a black man. Her mother thought that,
>> somehow
>> she had been spared the shame when Dinah was born so blonde."
>>

>> Anybody ever heard about this??? Can you elaborate???!
>>
>> -- Joyela!
>> Surf and Have Fun :>!

Mark

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97
my mom told me about the Diana Shore thing years ago. I had forgotten.
That thing is not uncommon in the deep south. MY family has more than a
few stories like that in our past.

Crazymts

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

> And how
>is it possible to know the sex of an unborn child at three weeks?!?

> And how
>is it possible to know the sex of an unborn child at three weeks?!?

I dunno about three weeks, but you can do it early by CVS--for those of us who
are/really old mommies. You do it lots earlier than amniocentesis... Seems
to me that Debbie is an *older* mom, so she might have had CVS...

Crazymts

Now beyond her child bearing years and looking for another prop baby...or a
kitten, I haven't decided...
SCREW the damn ribbons, find a CURE!!!

Linda Cauthen

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

While the mixed parentage part may be true, I see no factual basis for
the divorce-due-to-black-baby story. When was this alleged baby born,
and to which husband? Her daughter by GM was seen on her TV show and was
quite white.

Linda ASGTPR#49

Nuey2

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

>Subject: Re: Gossip Past: Dinah Shore Scandal
>From: craz...@aol.com (Crazymts)
>Date: Fri, Dec 5, 1997 18:41 EST

>> And how
>>is it possible to know the sex of an unborn child at three weeks?!?
>
>> And how
>>is it possible to know the sex of an unborn child at three weeks?!?
>
>I dunno about three weeks, but you can do it early by CVS--for those of us
>who
>are/really old mommies. You do it lots earlier than amniocentesis... Seems
>to me that Debbie is an *older* mom, so she might have had CVS...

11 weeks is the bare minimum for CVS.

Now -- if MJ spread around a bit of cash and the docs were actually
~harvesting~ eggs for distinctive sex or other such traits, well... it might be
earlier...

Guess they might have added petri dishes to the process?

Crazymts

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

>11 weeks is the bare minimum for CVS.

You could be right...but I think I was scheduled in my tenth
week--unfortuneately, I lost the kid the weekend before, in my ninth week.

Crazymts--who thinks going to China was a whole lot easier than all the *stuff*
they make ya do if you are pregnant and over thirty-five, these days.

jane

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

Linda Cauthen wrote:

> > >in 1963.
> > >And she wasn't born a blonde - in her early movies, she was a brunette.
> > >
> > >Linda ASGTPR#49
>
> While the mixed parentage part may be true, I see no factual basis for
> the divorce-due-to-black-baby story. When was this alleged baby born,
> and to which husband? Her daughter by GM was seen on her TV show and was
> quite white.
>
> Linda ASGTPR#49

Uhm, perhaps you are confusing Dinah with Diane Carroll?

Rick Rashid

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

>> >Sounds like total fantasy to me. Dinah was wed to George Montgomery from
>> >1943 until 1962 and had one daughter in 1948. She had a brief marriage
>> >in 1963 and a longer romance with the much-younger Burt Reynolds,
>> >neither of which produced a child, probably becuase she was already 46

>> >in 1963.
>> >And she wasn't born a blonde - in her early movies, she was a brunette.

And in later years she made sure that all photos of her pre-nose job
days were never officially used for publicity or product purposes
(once even forcing a newly re-issued record album to be recalled from
distributors to substitute a new photo on the cover because the
vintage material LP had a photo of Dinah's old nose on it).

But old nose or new - one thing stayed the same...Dinah was a classy
and nice lady.

Rick Rashid

GCarras

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

>Subject: Re: Gossip Past: Dinah Shore Scandal
>From: nu...@aol.com (Nuey2)
>Date: Fri, Dec 5, 1997 19:18 EST

>>Subject: Re: Gossip Past: Dinah Shore Scandal
>>From: craz...@aol.com (Crazymts)
>>Date: Fri, Dec 5, 1997 18:41 EST
>>
>>> And how
>>>is it possible to know the sex of an unborn child at three weeks?!?
>>
>>> And how
>>>is it possible to know the sex of an unborn child at three weeks?!?
>>
>>I dunno about three weeks, but you can do it early by CVS--for those of us
>>who
>>are/really old mommies. You do it lots earlier than amniocentesis...
>Seems
>>to me that Debbie is an *older* mom, so she might have had CVS...
>
>11 weeks is the bare minimum for CVS.
>
>Now -- if MJ spread around a bit of cash and the docs were actually
>~harvesting~ eggs for distinctive sex or other such traits, well... it might
>be
>earlier...
>
>Guess they might have added petri dishes to the process?

Dinah Shore was great.I miss her.

Long Live Freedom

"You can love your pets,but just don't...LOVE your pets"-Janeane Garofalo ("The
Truth About Cats And Dogs",1996)

Donna Whitman

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

Linda Cauthen <msl...@earthlink.net> wrote:

ave Fun :>!

>Sounds like total fantasy to me. Dinah was wed to George Montgomery from
>1943 until 1962 and had one daughter in 1948. She had a brief marriage
>in 1963 and a longer romance with the much-younger Burt Reynolds,
>neither of which produced a child, probably becuase she was already 46
>in 1963.
>And she wasn't born a blonde - in her early movies, she was a brunette.
>

>Linda ASGTPR#49

Wasn't she also married to some dude named Melcher and Terry
Melcher's (friend of Manson) mom?

Martha Briggs

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

Nope, Terry Melcher is Doris Day's son.

Martha Briggs mo...@goodnet.com Tucsaon, Arizona USA *I Byde My Tyme*

Charlene

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

dwhi...@fox.nstn.ca (Donna Whitman) wrote about the lovely Miss
Shore:

> Wasn't she also married to some dude named Melcher and Terry
>Melcher's (friend of Manson) mom?

That was Doris Day. And apparently Terry Melcher was not as much of a
friend of Manson's as he was an acquaintance. He refused to further
Manson's music career, and Manson eventually got mad and decided to
treat Terry and his mom to a visit. Fortunately for Doris Day et al.
but unfortunately for Sharon Tate et al., the Polanskis had recently
bought the Melcher estate.

--

Charlene Vickers cvic...@internorth.com

Linda Cauthen

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

A couple of points:

Terry did not live in the Cielo Drive home with his mom. He first rented
the house in 1966 with singer Mark Lindsay as his housemate. Mark moved
out after a year or so to a penthouse off the Sunset Strip and Terry's
then-girlfriend Candice Bergen moved in. They moved out in 1968 and the
Polanskis then rented the house.

Linda ASGTPR#49

Donna Whitman

Dec 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/13/97

cond...@osu.edu (Colleen Condron) wrote:

>> Wasn't she also married to some dude named Melcher and Terry
>>Melcher's (friend of Manson) mom?
>>

>That was Doris Day.

Woops ... wrong blonde. Of course, they were both before my time.

:)

lindad...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2017, 1:35:01 AM12/17/17
On Thursday, December 4, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Linda Cauthen wrote:
> Joyela wrote:
> >
> > I was in this discussion about Mr. M. Jackson's pale child, when
> > someone brought up this point:
> >
> > "Many, many years ago there was a tremendous scandal when popular
> > singer
> > Dinah Shore (Blonde haired and blue eyed) went through a divorce
> > because
> > she bore a child that was obviously black. Naturally her caucasian
> > husband thought she had been unfaithful. Actually it revealed a
> > family
> > skeleton--apparently Dinah Shore's mother had conceived her in an
> > extra-martial affair with a black man. Her mother thought that,
> > somehow
> > she had been spared the shame when Dinah was born so blonde."
> >
> > Anybody ever heard about this??? Can you elaborate???!
> >
> > -- Joyela!
> > Surf and Have Fun :>!

lindad...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2017, 1:47:13 AM12/17/17
I Remember, it was in the news late 50's early 60's I was a young girl and over heard my Mom talking about it. I had listened to Dinah Shore since I was 4 or 5 years old, my mom had her 45 record "Button and Bows", and I played that over and over again trying to learn the song and I also watched her blow a big kiss to everyone after her variety show was coming to the end. Her and Loretta Young were very popular back then. I asked my mom how she could have a black baby when she was so blonde and my mom didn't really answer me, I guess at that age I was 10+ it was not up for discussion. I remember being concerned for the the little baby. I did not realize that is what caused Dinah's divorce to George Montgomery. To me they were a perfect couple, he was so handsom. Dinah like Loretta Young were household names.

niku...@earthlink.net

Jul 31, 2018, 1:35:46 PM7/31/18
I remember when a very well-known negro baseball player (I'm not a sports fan, so I don't remember his name) wrote an autobiography in which he claimed that he had had an affair with Dinah. That was the last time I saw that claim anywhere. It seems to have vanished from the Internet, but THERE WAS A BOOK.

sugg...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2019, 4:18:44 PM12/15/19

warrenjone...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2019, 4:43:20 PM12/15/19

warrenjone...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2019, 4:43:44 PM12/15/19

warrenjone...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2019, 4:44:13 PM12/15/19

warrenjone...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2019, 4:44:39 PM12/15/19
There was a scandal about Dinah and a black man, but I’ve been unable to find it again, although it got quite a bit of press at the time, especially, since the black man mentioned it in his book.

I’ll keep it short. There was a well-know black baseball player. In his book, he said that he had been Dinah’s lover. That’s all I know. I can’t remember his name, and I don’t remember any denials. In fact, all I know is that some black baseball player wrote a book in which he claimed that he had been Dinah’s lover.

Bunky
PS: I also remember the rumors that Dinah was part black.
---

nikscho...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2019, 9:30:08 PM12/16/19
On Saturday, December 6, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, jane wrote:

> > While the mixed parentage part may be true, I see no factual basis for
> > the divorce-due-to-black-baby story. When was this alleged baby born,
> > and to which husband? Her daughter by GM was seen on her TV show and was
> > quite white.
> >
> > Linda ASGTPR#49
>

> Uhm, perhaps you are confusing Dinah with Diane Carroll?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/112308584430822907/

ruthcan...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2020, 12:00:41 PM7/20/20
On Thursday, December 4, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Linda Cauthen wrote:
> Joyela wrote:
> >
> > I was in this discussion about Mr. M. Jackson's pale child, when
> > someone brought up this point:
> >
> > "Many, many years ago there was a tremendous scandal when popular
> > singer
> > Dinah Shore (Blonde haired and blue eyed) went through a divorce
> > because
> > she bore a child that was obviously black. Naturally her caucasian
> > husband thought she had been unfaithful. Actually it revealed a
> > family
> > skeleton--apparently Dinah Shore's mother had conceived her in an
> > extra-martial affair with a black man. Her mother thought that,
> > somehow
> > she had been spared the shame when Dinah was born so blonde."
> >
> > Anybody ever heard about this??? Can you elaborate???!
> >
> > -- Joyela!
> > Surf and Have Fun :>!
>
> Sounds like total fantasy to me. Dinah was wed to George Montgomery from
> 1943 until 1962 and had one daughter in 1948. She had a brief marriage
> in 1963 and a longer romance with the much-younger Burt Reynolds,
> neither of which produced a child, probably becuase she was already 46

ruthcan...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2020, 12:02:13 PM7/20/20
Yes, many years ago, my mother told me mother told me that Dinah Shore was part black. She used a racial slur (which I will not repeat here) to describe this circumstance.

Mark Hall

Jul 11, 2021, 4:13:03 AM7/11/21
it was not Shore's fault had a black baby was in her genes. was told that her own grandmother had black in her. so was the third generation when it came out. to me George Montgomery was never worthy of her in the first place for not believing she would have a affair back to my movie Cripple Creek. I have many of this woman's 78 rpm records and like every one of them she was a great lady.