3 living 'Golden Girls' skip out on Estelle Getty's funeral -- Thank you for being a friend!

Taylor

Jul 26, 2008, 5:34:04 AM7/26/08
Why The Snub???
Filed under: Old People

The funeral for Estelle Getty was held yesterday, Thursday, in Los
Angeles, which was attended by friends, family and former colleagues.

Noticeably absent, neither of the three remaining Golden Girls
attended.

Both Betty White and Bea Arthur live in L.A., while Rue McClanahan is
based out of New York City these days.

Why the no show????

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gdaMMMc0x3DwDtK1OjayYU7nUFqQD924IH000

--- ntv/nat media ---

Behind The 'Snub'
Filed under: Old People

TV's Inside Edition caught up with Estelle Getty's son, Carl, to get
to the bottom of why the living Golden Girls skipped out on her
funeral.

Carl told the show, "They would certainly have been welcome. I don't
know why they wouldn't be attending mom's funeral. Maybe it's a
painful thing…As for the rest of them you're going to have to ask them
how they felt about it and why they did or didn't come."

Inside Edition took Carl's advice and reached out to the ladies.

Bea "Dorothy" Arthur, told the show she's been grieving for years over
Getty's long decline due to dementia, and could not deal with the
emotion of a funeral: "She's been out of it so many years, not
recognizing anyone. It's a Godsend. She's at peace."

Rue "Blanche" McClanahan, said that she couldn't attend the funeral
because she recently had surgery: "I'd like them to know that I didn't
[attend the funeral] because I can't fly right now with knee surgery.
I don't know why Betty and Bea didn't go, maybe because they, too,
have said their goodbyes to her when she was alive."

The show did not speak with Betty White, but they learned that she
sent a bouquet of flowers with a card that read, "Love, Betty White."
In quotes she added the name of her character on the show, "Rose."

And there you have it.

Estelle's son seems to have perceived the absences as a snub, though.
Says Carl: "If it was someone I'd been tight with like that and worked
with all those years I'd have been there."

What do U think????

[Image via WENN.]

Rthrquiet

Jul 26, 2008, 8:22:56 AM7/26/08

That Bea Arthur couldn't deal with the emotionality of it, Rue M. was
recovering from surgery, and Betty sent flowers? And Inside Edition
wants to drum up a story whether there is one or not?

Listen, these are all women in their 70s or 80s. There are all sorts
of reasons they might not attend someone's funeral. My mother wasn't
well enough in the last decade or so of her life to attend several of
her siblings' funerals, much less those of her friends and more
distant relatives who passed away.

Her son, I excuse. He's grieving and the absence of his mother's
friends must hurt, and one says a lot of things when one is in that
kind of state. He may (or may not) change his mind later and regret
what he's said.

Inside Edition has no such excuse; they're just confirming their
reputation as bottom-feeders.

Message has been deleted

clouddreamer

Jul 26, 2008, 8:48:06 AM7/26/08
Taylor wrote:
> Why The Snub???
> Filed under: Old People
>
> The funeral for Estelle Getty was held yesterday, Thursday, in Los
> Angeles, which was attended by friends, family and former colleagues.

They're not spring chickens anymore.

Besides, nothing disgusts me more than people who think that people MUST
attend funerals. Some simply don't like the process and/or can't handle
the emotion or whatever.

Let them grieve in their own way and mind your own business...

..

--

We must change the way we live,
or the climate will do it for us.

doomella

Jul 26, 2008, 10:35:19 AM7/26/08
On Jul 26, 8:48 am, clouddreamer <Global_warm...@is.very.real> wrote:
> Taylor wrote:
> > Why The Snub???
> > Filed under: Old People
>
> > The funeral for Estelle Getty was held yesterday, Thursday, in Los
> > Angeles, which was attended by friends, family and former colleagues.
>
> They're not spring chickens anymore.
>
> Besides, nothing disgusts me more than people who think that people MUST
> attend funerals. Some simply don't like the process and/or can't handle
> the emotion or whatever.
>
> Let them grieve in their own way and mind your own business...

People assume that because they all lived together as a family of
sorts on the show, they were kind of related in real life, even
decades later.

seastew

Jul 26, 2008, 11:05:56 AM7/26/08
On Jul 26, 4:34 am, Taylor <lukebenw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why The Snub???
> Filed under: Old People
>
> The funeral for Estelle Getty was held yesterday, Thursday, in Los
> Angeles, which was attended by friends, family and former colleagues.
>
> Noticeably absent, neither of the three remaining Golden Girls
> attended.
>
> Both Betty White and Bea Arthur live in L.A., while Rue McClanahan is
> based out of New York City these days.
>
> Why the no show????

> http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gdaMMMc0x3DwDtK1OjayYU7nUFqQD924IH000
>
> --- ntv/nat media ---
>
> Behind The 'Snub'
> Filed under: Old People
>
> TV's Inside Edition caught up with Estelle Getty's son, Carl, to get
> to the bottom of why the living Golden Girls skipped out on her
> funeral.

BFD! There's no law that says that anyone has to go to a funeral.
There are lots of people out there who would rather celebrate a life
than view their dead body. Me being one of them. It creeps me out.

Big J

Jul 26, 2008, 12:16:51 PM7/26/08
seastew <seatt...@hushmail.com> wrote in news:373025c6-1bc0-4b2c-b5ac-
26220d...@u12g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

Agree.

And even if they *were* such great friends on the set, the show ended 16
years ago. I've made great work friends and mostly, we stayed in touch
for a few years.

Big J

-----

Adam H. Kerman

Jul 26, 2008, 1:05:42 PM7/26/08
Taylor <lukeb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Why The Snub???
>Filed under: Old People

>The funeral for Estelle Getty was held yesterday, Thursday, in Los
>Angeles, which was attended by friends, family and former colleagues.

>Noticeably absent, neither of the three remaining Golden Girls
>attended.

>Both Betty White and Bea Arthur live in L.A., while Rue McClanahan is
>based out of New York City these days.

>Why the no show????

They worked together. They weren't friends. Lots of actors claim to be
fast friends with any actor or director they've ever met, but it's pure
Hollywood bullshit.

Do you attend funerals for family members of everyone you've ever worked
with or your fellow cow-orkers themselves?

On the other hand, it wouldn't have been unusual for them to have
attended simply to acknowledge how long they worked together. It doesn't
imply friendship but does acknowledge loss, which is the point of
funerals, and gives one a chance to reminisce with the family, which
should offer them a little comfort.

Betty White sent flowers. That was appropriate. Miss McClellan not
traveling after surgery is reasonable (doesn't say that she would have
traveled if she were in better health). Bea Arthur's comment was a bit
obnoxious, proving once again that actors should never speak without a
script.

In truth, some elderly despise going to funerals because everyone they
is dying off, and it happens far more quickly than they make new
friends. It can be very depressing.

Gee. I'll bet they wrote 20 scripts on this theme on the show.

Taylor

Jul 26, 2008, 4:35:54 PM7/26/08
> than view their dead body. Me being one of them. It creeps me out.- Hide quoted text -

They say if you're nice to people when your'e alive, people will come
to your funeral. Not that this is necessarily true in Estelle's case,
but I'm just sayin'.

I wonder How Balthazar's doing?

aemeijers

Jul 26, 2008, 9:51:50 PM7/26/08
Rthrquiet wrote:
> On Jul 26, 5:34 am, Taylor <lukebenw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> TV's Inside Edition caught up with Estelle Getty's son, Carl, to get
(snip)

>> What do U think????
>
> That Bea Arthur couldn't deal with the emotionality of it, Rue M. was
> recovering from surgery, and Betty sent flowers? And Inside Edition
> wants to drum up a story whether there is one or not?
>
> Listen, these are all women in their 70s or 80s. There are all sorts
> of reasons they might not attend someone's funeral. My mother wasn't
> well enough in the last decade or so of her life to attend several of
> her siblings' funerals, much less those of her friends and more
> distant relatives who passed away.
>
> Her son, I excuse. He's grieving and the absence of his mother's
> friends must hurt, and one says a lot of things when one is in that
> kind of state. He may (or may not) change his mind later and regret
> what he's said.
>
> Inside Edition has no such excuse; they're just confirming their
> reputation as bottom-feeders.

Careful now- rational viewpoints like yours could get you shunned in
these groups.

--
aem sends...

AndrewJ

Jul 26, 2008, 10:16:31 PM7/26/08
It's part of the Ty-Cobb-was-a-bastard mythology that when he died in
1961, only three people within major league baseball went to his
funeral. Turns out (according to a recent Cobb biography, "Peach")
that the baseball commissioner and a delegation of Hall of Famers were
in fact planning to fly to Georgia for the service -- but his family
just wanted a simple funeral ceremony with only immediate relatives.

I think the same thing's happening here. Yes, the surviving Golden
Girls were no-shows. No, they weren't snubbing her.

Alic...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2008, 12:40:35 AM7/27/08

==================

nobody assumes that at all
you stupid cow

tricks...@yahoo.com

Jul 27, 2008, 11:50:21 AM7/27/08
On Jul 26, 8:48 am, clouddreamer <Global_warm...@is.very.real> wrote:

> Besides, nothing disgusts me more than people who think that people MUST
> attend funerals. Some simply don't like the process and/or can't handle
> the emotion or whatever.
>
> Let them grieve in their own way and mind your own business...

I agree with you. Except on these so-called real life murder
mysteries, people who don't show emotion, or act funny at a funeral
immediately are suspects. It drives me nuts. If you laugh nervously
the detective in charge will say you were not acting "normal"
therefore a person of interest.

Sarah Czepiel

Jul 27, 2008, 1:45:39 PM7/27/08
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:40:35 -0700 (PDT), Alic...@gmail.com wrote:

Then why the objections to the other three not attending the funeral?

Rotty...@aol.com

Jul 27, 2008, 9:26:21 PM7/27/08
The reason you go to a funeral is for the FAMILY of the loved one. I
hate going to funerals, and I hate really to go to wakes. But when a
loved one passes, the family needs comfort that their loved one was
loved and remembered.

As far as I'm concerned, these "Golden Girls" did a terrible selfish
act by not going to her funeral. Bea said she emotionally can't handle
it? WHO CAN? It's not about HER it's for Estelle's family for crying
out loud. Sometimes you need to do things in life you don't want to
do, but you do it for others. Obviously these self absorbed stars have
been living outside of reality so long they just don't understand the
dynamics of 101 humanity.

doomella

Jul 27, 2008, 9:32:13 PM7/27/08

They're ex-coworkers from decades ago. Do you go to every funeral of
every person you worked with decades ago? Who says they even knew the
family?
Just because somebody's on TV and you watch reruns and perceive them
as "family" doesn't require them to show up at a funeral, which they'd
probably do for PR reasons more than anything anyway.

Janice

Jul 27, 2008, 9:38:07 PM7/27/08
In article
<7c39656f-7f1d-41bf...@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>,
Taylor <lukeb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rue "Blanche" McClanahan, said that she couldn't attend the funeral
> because she recently had surgery: "I'd like them to know that I didn't
> [attend the funeral] because I can't fly right now with knee surgery.
> I don't know why Betty and Bea didn't go, maybe because they, too,
> have said their goodbyes to her when she was alive."

That sounds like a bunch of bull to me

Sarah Czepiel

Jul 27, 2008, 10:23:03 PM7/27/08
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 18:32:13 -0700 (PDT), doomella <Doome...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Thanks Doomie, you beat to it.

----

Jennifer Nance telling the truth about her "friend" Icebreaker:

:>He didn't spank anything that night after watching the Brandy Court
:>Video...not into Tranny looking chicks with flared nosrils. He *MAY*
:>have, however, gone out on the town and to a few pubs and later got
:>"Rogered". You'll have to ask the bartenders to be sure if he left
:>with any cuties and if indeed some bang and slam "Rogering" occurred
:>later, quite possibly in the evening. It's Hotlanta, after all. A guy
:>needs to cool off in the Summer with a cold one and some "Rogering" of
:>course is bound to... at times... take place.

Message has been deleted

Audie Murphy's Ghost

Jul 28, 2008, 6:12:16 AM7/28/08
In article <bd2fb5d8281a338b...@dizum.com>, Nomen Nescio
<nob...@dizum.com> wrote:

> In article <6dc8db77-def8-4f54-a1c1-
> 700a67...@k13g2000hse.googlegroups.com>

> Funerals are the worst. I can't stand the fake sobbing by
> attendees who detested the dearly departed in real life.

The Golden Girls ended in 1992. I'm not in touch with *anybody* I
worked with that long ago, and I sure as hell wouldn't bother going to
their funerals.

Many people think that TV casts stay in touch forever because they've
become families or something. Most times, though, it's just a job like
any other.

doomella

Jul 28, 2008, 7:29:46 AM7/28/08
On Jul 27, 9:38 pm, Janice <Noth...@you.com> wrote:
> In article
> <7c39656f-7f1d-41bf-abe9-6bc631e32...@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>,

> Taylor <lukebenw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Rue "Blanche" McClanahan, said that she couldn't attend the funeral
> > because she recently had surgery: "I'd like them to know that I didn't
> > [attend the funeral] because I can't fly right now with knee surgery.
> > I don't know why Betty and Bea didn't go, maybe because they, too,
> > have said their goodbyes to her when she was alive."
>
> That sounds like a bunch of bull to me

I'm sure the remaining Golden Girls will be crushed.

Sarah Czepiel

Jul 28, 2008, 7:51:23 AM7/28/08
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 06:12:16 -0400, Audie Murphy's Ghost
<takebac...@2008.com> wrote:

:>In article <bd2fb5d8281a338b...@dizum.com>, Nomen Nescio

Agreed. The comments made by her son regarding the other cast members
should be taken with a grain of salt. He's obviously grieving and it may
have been more of a wish on his part that the other " Girls" attend the
funeral than is possible considering the circumstances of both time passed
and advancing age.

morr...@hotmail.com

Jul 29, 2008, 8:17:33 PM7/29/08

Although I do understand what Ms. Estelle's son is saying, however
each and everyone of us have a different way that we feel is the best
way,in our heart, to say goodbye to a friend or a love one.Not to
mention,in Ms. Rue's case, certain situations can enable a person from
attending a funeral as well as any form of gathering. Some people can
go to a funeral and say their sadful goodbyes,give a memoral remark
about the person and some people would only like to remember seeing
that special someone alive with a cheerful smile or a smurk, etc.
instead of lying in a coffin. Having said this, I hope that Ms.
Estelle's son doesn't hold the absence of the ladies against them and
be able to understand each their reasons for not being there. Plus
after viewing the TV sitcom for numbers of times over the years there
is no doubt in my mind that all 3 of the ladies had so very much love
for Ms. Estelle Getty. (including myself)

Message has been deleted

cremef...@yahoo.com

Aug 5, 2008, 5:22:58 PM8/5/08
> for Ms. Estelle Getty. (including myself)- Hide quoted text -

I totally agree with the statements above regarding the absences of
Bea, Rue & Betty from Estelle's funeral. Thinking back on how very
close they were, I can imagine seeing Estelle in declining health was
enough of a 'funeral' for all of the girls years before she actually
passed away. Also, I would imagine the Media would have had a field
day trying to capture some 'reality' TV by begging for interviews at
the funeral home or zooming in on the ladies' faces for looks and
expressions of grief of which should be respected as a very private
matter. The stellar actresses convinced many of us that they WERE
family in the show, and we have to remember that as close as they were
outside of 'Golden Girls', all have a right to their own lives and
convinctions, even in the face of death.

Orson Wells as CitizenCain

Aug 5, 2008, 11:51:31 PM8/5/08

<cremef...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Also, I heard Bea Arthur is a real bitch.

Guy Bannis

Aug 6, 2008, 12:43:47 AM8/6/08
In article
cremef...@yahoo.com wrote:

> > > Estelle's son seems to have perceived the absences as a snub, though.
> > > Says Carl: "If it was someone I'd been tight with like that and worked
> > > with all those years I'd have been there."
> >
> > > What do U think????

At their ages, those women have attended their share of funerals and
lost their share of friends, relatives, and loved ones. It's their
prerogative to skip funerals at this point in their lives.

Spob

Aug 6, 2008, 1:20:16 AM8/6/08
On Jul 26, 1:05 pm, "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:

> They worked together. They weren't friends. Lots of actors claim to be
> fast friends with any actor or director they've ever met, but it's pure
> Hollywood bullshit.

In showbiz the term "my very good friend" seems to either be a
euphemism for "someone whose ass it seems prudent to kiss since they
might be able to do something for me some day", or they're trying to
associate themselves with someone to elevate their importance.

wull

Aug 6, 2008, 10:24:45 AM8/6/08
Why don't you negative people give it a rest. I am positive EG would be
happier if you stopped the incessant raving about her funeral.

Wull

"Orson Wells as CitizenCain" <noe...@here.invalidd> wrote in message

> <cremef...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Jul 29, 7:17 pm, morrow...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> On Jul 26, 4:34 am, Taylor <lukebenw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > Why The Snub???
>> > Filed under: Old People
>>
>> > The funeral for Estelle Getty was held yesterday, Thursday, in Los
>> > Angeles, which was attended by friends, family and former colleagues.
>>
>> > Noticeably absent, neither of the three remaining Golden Girls
>> > attended.
>>
>> > Both Betty White and Bea Arthur live in L.A., while Rue McClanahan is
>> > based out of New York City these days.
>>
>> > Why the no show????

>> >http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gdaMMMc0x3DwDtK1OjayYU7nUFqQD924IH000
>>
>> > --- ntv/nat media ---
>>
>> > Behind The 'Snub'
>> > Filed under: Old People
>>
>> > TV's Inside Edition caught up with Estelle Getty's son, Carl, to get
>> > to the bottom of why the living Golden Girls skipped out on her
>> > funeral.
>>
>> > Carl told the show, "They would certainly have been welcome. I don't
>> > know why they wouldn't be attending mom's funeral. Maybe it's a

>> > painful thing.As for the rest of them you're going to have to ask them

Michael Black

Aug 6, 2008, 11:06:23 AM8/6/08

And at this point, I even wonder who is claiming the "friendship".

About a month ago now (since this thread has gone on so long), there
was some story on "Entertainment Tonight" and it claimed a friendship
between two very different actors. I know at the time I wondered if
that was a stretch, because the specific actors (and I can't remember
who) wouldn't seem to have anything in common. And in that particular
instance, it sounded like the show was claiming that "friendship"
between the two, when someone else might have said "acquaintance" or
"we went to the same party once".

All those "entertainment news shows" give a weird sort of view
of Hollywood, "we're insiders, we'll tell you about this world, but
you can't come in", so from that standpoint of course it builds up
the illusion that there is a tight-knit family of actors holed up
in Hollywood gathering together to withstand the masses at the gates.

Michael

Nelda Fairley

Dec 24, 2023, 12:55:24 AM12/24/23
On Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 7:22:56 AM UTC-5, Rthrquiet wrote:
> On Jul 26, 5:34 am, Taylor wrote:
> > TV's Inside Edition caught up with Estelle Getty's son, Carl, to get
> > to the bottom of why the living Golden Girls skipped out on her
> > funeral.
> >
> > Carl told the show, "They would certainly have been welcome. I don't
> > know why they wouldn't be attending mom's funeral. Maybe it's a
> > painful thing…As for the rest of them you're going to have to ask them
> > how they felt about it and why they did or didn't come."
> >
> > Inside Edition took Carl's advice and reached out to the ladies.
> >
> > Bea "Dorothy" Arthur, told the show she's been grieving for years over
> > Getty's long decline due to dementia, and could not deal with the
> > emotion of a funeral: "She's been out of it so many years, not
> > recognizing anyone. It's a Godsend. She's at peace."
> >
> > Rue "Blanche" McClanahan, said that she couldn't attend the funeral
> > because she recently had surgery: "I'd like them to know that I didn't
> > [attend the funeral] because I can't fly right now with knee surgery.
> > I don't know why Betty and Bea didn't go, maybe because they, too,
> > have said their goodbyes to her when she was alive."
> >
> > The show did not speak with Betty White, but they learned that she
> > sent a bouquet of flowers with a card that read, "Love, Betty White."
> > In quotes she added the name of her character on the show, "Rose."
> >
> > And there you have it.
> >
> > Estelle's son seems to have perceived the absences as a snub, though.
> > Says Carl: "If it was someone I'd been tight with like that and worked
> > with all those years I'd have been there."
> >
> > What do U think????
> That Bea Arthur couldn't deal with the emotionality of it, Rue M. was
> recovering from surgery, and Betty sent flowers? And Inside Edition
> wants to drum up a story whether there is one or not?
> Listen, these are all women in their 70s or 80s. There are all sorts
> of reasons they might not attend someone's funeral. My mother wasn't
> well enough in the last decade or so of her life to attend several of
> her siblings' funerals, much less those of her friends and more
> distant relatives who passed away.
> Her son, I excuse. He's grieving and the absence of his mother's
> friends must hurt, and one says a lot of things when one is in that
> kind of state. He may (or may not) change his mind later and regret
> what he's said.
> Inside Edition has no such excuse; they're just confirming their
> reputation as bottom-feeders.
I agree with you that their ages, heck I'm 60 and have health issues, might be why they didn't attend. I had heard that they weren't close offscreen, so maybe that is another reason. They were sure great together on screen that we fans just thought they'd be close off screen. Great acting. Maybe 7 seasons was enough years of being in one's company that after the show went off the air, enough was enough. People take different paths. I'm sorry for her family's loss and sorry that her sons felt their mother was snubbed by costars.