ASSTR down July 13, 2022

Y Lee Coyote

Jul 13, 2022, 5:15:01 PM7/13/22

Any info about the outage, please?

Y.

Valid return address is <YLeeCoyote (at) juno.com>
(Posting address is for the spammers)

See my stories at http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

HBB Writes

Jul 14, 2022, 12:36:42 AM7/14/22
On Wednesday, July 13, 2022 at 5:15:01 PM UTC-4, Y Lee Coyote wrote:
> Any info about the outage, please?

Great question! 😔 I remember a previous time, whether I was unable to access the site, though that time it was actually a DNS/hostname resolution problem, where one could temporarily work around it by creating static URL-to-IP entries in the local "hosts" file, on one's own computer. During that past situation, the temporary workaround was effective, until the DNS problem could eventually be fixed.

This time, however, I attempted access using the IP address 64.71.155.222 directly, but sadly, it still did not work -- not this time.

Regards,
HBB

alvot...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2022, 2:13:56 PM7/15/22
The site is clearly still "down." However:

I do a very minimal level of analytics tracking on my ASSTR pages. Because of that I can see that there is still a very low level of traffic on my pages. It's minimal, but it isn't zero - from which I conclude that neither the site nor the server are dead or even completely off line.

--Alvo

Y Lee Coyote

Jul 15, 2022, 3:35:50 PM7/15/22
On Fri, 15 Jul 2022 11:13:53 -0700 (PDT), "alvot...@gmail.com"
<alvot...@gmail.com> wrote in
<1d15599f-71ec-4cdf...@googlegroups.com>:

>The site is clearly still "down." However:
>
>I do a very minimal level of analytics tracking on my ASSTR pages. Because of that I can see that there is still a very low level of traffic on my pages. It's minimal, but it isn't zero - from which I conclude that neither the site nor the server are dead or even completely off line.
>
>--Alvo

Thank you Alvo for that interesting datum. I also track traffic on my site
and have also seen an occasional hit since after 1700 EDT (NY) on 13 July.

I'm also seeing some traffic from << www.asstr.xyz/ >> but it is all prior
versions of my site and others from before March 2021. The pages that I
can access have been edited to remove ASSTR.net from the line that states
the pages' URL. The clone is incomplete. It is NOT an alternate to the
real ASSTR.net site.

That date is most interesting for the long time fake/porn (and virus
infested) ripoff site at << kino-fun.ru/p-a-c-k-s/ >> froze their cloning
by April, 2021. They also change the URL line. They also block my
tracking.

I really don't know what to make of all this. Perhaps others can
contribute. Hopefully Ray will give some authoritative information.

Y.

Valid return address is <YLeeCoyote (at) juno.com>
(Posting address is for the spammers)

See my stories at http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

P & E

Kalkowll95

Jul 18, 2022, 1:04:29 AM7/18/22
it is possible that the domain of the page has been suspended

alvot...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2022, 2:53:18 PM7/18/22
I'm still seeing a trickle of traffic on my pages. Seems to me the most likely issue is an ongoing DDoS attack. But I'm no expert.

--Alvo

Y Lee Coyote

Jul 18, 2022, 3:40:28 PM7/18/22
On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:53:15 -0700 (PDT), "alvot...@gmail.com"
<alvot...@gmail.com> wrote in
<f019e6c5-fd7c-4bf1...@googlegroups.com>:

>I'm still seeing a trickle of traffic on my pages. Seems to me the most likely issue is an ongoing DDoS attack. But I'm no expert.
>
>--Alvo

I am also seeing a trickle of traffic although less than a couple of day
ago. It could also be stuff that was cached by a user or an ISP since
those sporadic hits are related like an index/linked page. Just a thought.

I would have expected the host to have cracked down if it was a DDoS attack
as that would have inpacted all the other users. Again, nothing definite.

Chris H

Jul 18, 2022, 7:05:53 PM7/18/22
I did manage to get one story from my site served to me, without my CSS being loaded, a couple of days ago. If this is true and not a cache mirage (I do not think it was), it implies that the server is still up and the ISP is still serving, but that something is causing it to be extremely slow -- probably tons of dropped packets and very few making it through. That would mean either a DDOS or some sort of hardware problem. DDOS does seem out of the question at this point, assuming the ISP is paying any attention.

Kalkowll95 wrote:

> it is possible that the domain of the page has been suspended

It's definitely not a domain name problem. DNS has no problem at all resolving the server name to the (apparently correct) IP address.

~Chris Hailey

sfmaster

Jul 19, 2022, 10:06:29 AM7/19/22
On Wednesday, July 13, 2022 at 5:15:01 PM UTC-4, Y Lee Coyote wrote:
Hi all. While it's true that I haven't written any Erotica for a long time, I still maintain an interest in ASSTR.
We don't know the reason for the outage, and Rey hasn't responded to emails for years.
The longer the site stays down, the less chance it will come back.
For me, ASSTR was my last link to the newsgroup era, where I started writing Erotica back in 1996 (!).
Gone is 42nd St in NYC, where I learned to be treated like an adult you had to act like an adult. I never got proofed while still aged 17 walking into an Adult Shop. To be young again when the world was new.......
Gone are Thrift Shops, where I bought plenty of books beginning in the early 1970s (Fleming, Deighton; Le Carre; and later Science Fiction).
Gone are used bookshops. There was nothing better than going into a used bookshop, inhaling the scent of acid paper; perusing the shelves, and walking out with books by a writer new to me. Buying online is nice - but I miss the joy of discovery.
Gone are Garage Sales - people sell their used stuff online these days.
sfmaster (at) att.net

Kairu Hakubi

Jul 20, 2022, 4:46:32 AM7/20/22
On Tuesday, July 19, 2022 at 9:06:29 AM UTC-5, adult...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all. While it's true that I haven't written any Erotica for a long time, I still maintain an interest in ASSTR.
> We don't know the reason for the outage, and Rey hasn't responded to emails for years.
> The longer the site stays down, the less chance it will come back.
> For me, ASSTR was my last link to the newsgroup era, where I started writing Erotica back in 1996 (!).
> Gone is 42nd St in NYC, where I learned to be treated like an adult you had to act like an adult. I never got proofed while still aged 17 walking into an Adult Shop. To be young again when the world was new.......
> Gone are Thrift Shops, where I bought plenty of books beginning in the early 1970s (Fleming, Deighton; Le Carre; and later Science Fiction).
> Gone are used bookshops. There was nothing better than going into a used bookshop, inhaling the scent of acid paper; perusing the shelves, and walking out with books by a writer new to me. Buying online is nice - but I miss the joy of discovery.
> Gone are Garage Sales - people sell their used stuff online these days.
> sfmaster (at) att.net

I think the last time we had an outage, Rey told us the server was a rickety old thing and he wasn't sure how long it would stay up.. or maybe that was two major outages ago, it's getting blurry. I think it's quite possible this is just a server problem, and I definitely recall him saying he had difficulty communicating with where the server's located.
I just hope we don't lose a bunch of files again. There are still big gaping holes (which might be easier to fill if the account issues were solved)

Y Lee Coyote

Jul 20, 2022, 7:05:17 AM7/20/22
On Wed, 13 Jul 2022 17:14:54 -0400, Y Lee Coyote
<See.signa...@mail.com> wrote in
<3cduchln16rgug7ct...@4ax.com>:
>Any info about the outage, please?

It appears that this issue will not be resolved for a while so you can
access my test site which is a fully functional mirror of my actual site at

https://yleecoyote.000webhostapp.com/index.htm

Y Lee Coyote

Jul 21, 2022, 7:13:02 PM7/21/22
On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 07:05:12 -0400, Y Lee Coyote
<See.signa...@mail.com> wrote in
<a9ofdhlctaqmcusmo...@4ax.com>:
Sorry this free site host won't allow that much access. Looking for
alternatives.

Y.

Valid return address is <YLeeCoyote (at) juno.com>
(Posting address is for the spammers)

See my stories at http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

P & E

Kairu Hakubi

Jul 23, 2022, 12:13:24 AM7/23/22
By the way, is there another Groups or other similar site where we discussed these issues last time? Because I look through here, sifting through the spam, and I can't find a lot of stuff I remember. Such as participation from Rey, and his detailed explanations about the server situation. Stuff like that. I forget if he said it was backed up properly..

Chris H

Jul 25, 2022, 12:38:10 PM7/25/22
On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 11:13:24 PM UTC-5, Kairu Hakubi wrote:
> By the way, is there another Groups or other similar site where we discussed these issues last time? Because I look through here, sifting through the spam, and I can't find a lot of stuff I remember. Such as participation from Rey, and his detailed explanations about the server situation. Stuff like that. I forget if he said it was backed up properly..

I think you're remembering the big outage we had in 2017. Rey was (somewhat) communicative here during that time.

That last outage, last year, was a DNS problem, and Rey he never posted to this group then. Some people may have been in contact with him, but most of us were in the dark.

~Chris

Kairu Hakubi

Jul 25, 2022, 2:39:35 PM7/25/22
Ohhh that might be it. Either that or there was a yahoo groups for a while, before those got deleted, and at the time I don't think I understood the difference. But I'm getting so old that it's entirely possible I'm confusing a year ago with 5 years ago.

Chris H

Jul 26, 2022, 11:19:02 AM7/26/22
LOL I hear ya!

If I recall correctly, most of the conversations with Rey during the big server crash five years ago were on the Yahoo forum, of which I was a member. It seems entirely possible that Rey is unaware that alt.sex.stories.d is still active or is used to discuss ASSTR, and that accounts for why he doesn't post here.

Meanwhile, keep the faith. If past experience can help to predict the future, ASSTR will be back at some point.

~Chris

BLUE KNIGHT

Aug 9, 2022, 12:06:07 PM8/9/22
all i get is this
This page isn’t workingIf the problem continues, contact the site owner.
HTTP ERROR 408

This page isn’t workingwww.asstr.org didn’t send any data.
ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

This site can’t be reachedwww.asstr.org took too long to respond.
ERR_TIMED_OUT

This site can’t be reachedasstr.xyz unexpectedly closed the connection.
ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED

Y Lee Coyote

Aug 9, 2022, 5:16:02 PM8/9/22
On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 09:06:04 -0700 (PDT), BLUE KNIGHT
<stuart.b...@gmail.com> wrote in
<0e9f7e2e-f0b8-432f...@googlegroups.com>:
I suggest that you read the subject of the post you replied to for an
explanation.

https://yleecoyote.asslr.org/
Message has been deleted

Y Lee Coyote

Aug 15, 2022, 7:23:42 PM8/15/22
On Mon, 15 Aug 2022 15:24:41 -0700 (PDT), Aaron Davis <aaro...@gmail.com>
wrote in <17e112ba-c9cb-4999...@googlegroups.com>:
>This was a mystery to me as to why all the asstr.org sites were down, but I found out a pro tip today, if you substitute https://asstr.xyz for asstr.org..the original sites are mostly still all there, I don't know if this change is documented or permanent or whatever but that seems to work for the few I check out.

If you had made the effort to read the recent posts you would have learnt
that asstr.xyz is an incomplete unauthorized mirror of asstr.org of a few
years ago.

Tim Glover

Aug 30, 2022, 12:59:02 PM8/30/22
Still down - looks like the end of ASSTR.org?

Lucid Eye

Sep 1, 2022, 2:33:25 AM9/1/22
Site is completely unreachable, no connection at all, been trying all day. Can't even ping the IP address.
Server is offline/dead.
DO NOT USE https://asstr.xyz !!!!!
THIS IS A MALICIOUS SITE AND IT WILL TRY TO DOWNLOAD MALICIOUS PHP FILES TO YOUR BROWSER!!!!!
My guess is that asstr.org was hacked by asstr.xyz and taken offline so as to direct all asstr.org traffic to their malicious asstr.xyz page.
So who is the owner/maintainer of the asstr.org official site/server? How can that person be reached? Are there any other people with access for maintaining that site/server? If so, how can they be reached? Someone has to know something about who currently maintains that site/server? Anyone?

Bear Dogg

Sep 21, 2022, 1:39:47 PM9/21/22
On Thursday, September 1, 2022 at 2:33:25 AM UTC-4, Lucid Eye wrote:

> DO NOT USE https://asstr.xyz !!!!!
> THIS IS A MALICIOUS SITE AND IT WILL TRY TO DOWNLOAD MALICIOUS PHP FILES TO YOUR BROWSER!!!!!
> My guess is that asstr.org was hacked by asstr.xyz and taken offline so as to direct all asstr.org traffic to their malicious asstr.xyz page.
> So who is the owner/maintainer of the asstr.org official site/server? How can that person be reached? Are there any other people with access for maintaining that site/server? If so, how can they be reached? Someone has to know something about who currently maintains that site/server? Anyone?

asstr.xyz may be an FBI sting operation which could put malware on your computer, and the malware could download CP onto your computer and give the FBI a pretext to nab you.

Years ago, an alternative media journalist named Brian D. Hill - who ran the conspiracy website USWGO News - was nabbed by the FBI, and the CP did not download onto his computer until AFTER he was in FBI custody. He was forced into a plea bargain agreement when the FBI threatened to arrest his mother - who he lives with - as the computer belonged to her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHHcguRDgJI&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSGasW55D94

https://justiceforuswgo.nl/

Charlie

Sep 21, 2022, 2:39:14 PM9/21/22
That isn't impossible but where's your proof of malicious php files on the xyz site? I didn't see any, and I doubt they could have hacked the original asstr. If that were the case they would likely have made it auto-redirect to their site.

Stephen Ng

Oct 2, 2022, 2:06:28 PM10/2/22

Domain Name: asstr.org
Registry Domain ID: ab0c04bd600c498caf60c5bc9018f938-LROR
Registrar WHOIS Server: http://whois.registrar.amazon.com
Registrar URL: http://registrar.amazon.com
Updated Date: 2022-02-07T00:20:13Z
Creation Date: 1998-12-10T05:00:00Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2022-12-09T05:00:00Z
Registrar: Amazon Registrar, Inc.
Registrar IANA ID: 468
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: email (AT) amazonaws.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.2067406200
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Name: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Organization: Whois Privacy Service
Registrant Street: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant City: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant State/Province: WA
Registrant Postal Code: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Phone Ext: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Fax: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Fax Ext: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Registrant Email: Please query the RDDS service of the Registrar of Record identified in this output for information on how to contact the Registrant, Admin, or Tech contact of the queried domain name.
Registry Admin ID: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Name: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Organization: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Street: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin City: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin State/Province: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Postal Code: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Country: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Phone: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Phone Ext: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Fax: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Fax Ext: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Admin Email: Please query the RDDS service of the Registrar of Record identified in this output for information on how to contact the Registrant, Admin, or Tech contact of the queried domain name.
Registry Tech ID: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Name: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Organization: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Street: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech City: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech State/Province: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Postal Code: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Country: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Phone: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Phone Ext: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Fax: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Fax Ext: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Tech Email: Please query the RDDS service of the Registrar of Record identified in this output for information on how to contact the Registrant, Admin, or Tech contact of the queried domain name.
Name Server: ns1.iflc.org
Name Server: ns2.iflc.org
DNSSEC: unsigned
URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form: https://www.icann.org/wicf/
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2022-10-01T03:40:39Z <<<

For more information on Whois status codes, please visit https://icann.org/epp

Stephen Ng

Oct 2, 2022, 2:07:12 PM10/2/22
Domain Name: ASSTR.XYZ
Registry Domain ID: D229192593-CNIC
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.meshdigital.com
Registrar URL:
Updated Date: 2022-04-13T15:04:27.0Z
Creation Date: 2021-03-20T11:23:50.0Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2023-03-20T23:59:59.0Z
Registrar: Mesh Digital Ltd
Registrar IANA ID: 1390
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Registrant Organization:
Registrant State/Province:
Registrant Country: GB
Registrant Email: Please query the RDDS service of the Registrar of Record identified in this output for information on how to contact the Registrant, Admin, or Tech contact of the queried domain name.
Admin Email: Please query the RDDS service of the Registrar of Record identified in this output for information on how to contact the Registrant, Admin, or Tech contact of the queried domain name.
Tech Email: Please query the RDDS service of the Registrar of Record identified in this output for information on how to contact the Registrant, Admin, or Tech contact of the queried domain name.
Name Server: NS51.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Name Server: NS52.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned
Billing Email: Please query the RDDS service of the Registrar of Record identified in this output for information on how to contact the Registrant, Admin, or Tech contact of the queried domain name.
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: em...@domainbox.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8779770099
URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form: https://www.icann.org/wicf/
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2022-09-29T14:04:11.0Z <<<

For more information on Whois status codes, please visit https://icann.org/epp

>>> IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE DEPLOYMENT OF RDAP: please visit
https://www.centralnic.com/support/rdap <<<

Stephen Ng

Oct 2, 2022, 2:07:46 PM10/2/22
Domain Name: ASSTR.XYZ
Registry Domain ID: D229192593-CNIC
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.meshdigital.com
Registrar URL:
Updated Date: 2022-04-13T15:04:27.0Z
Creation Date: 2021-03-20T11:23:50.0Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2023-03-20T23:59:59.0Z
Registrar: Mesh Digital Ltd
Registrar IANA ID: 1390
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Registrant Organization:
Registrant State/Province:
Registrant Country: GB
Registrant Email: Please query the RDDS service of the Registrar of Record identified in this output for information on how to contact the Registrant, Admin, or Tech contact of the queried domain name.
Admin Email: Please query the RDDS service of the Registrar of Record identified in this output for information on how to contact the Registrant, Admin, or Tech contact of the queried domain name.
Tech Email: Please query the RDDS service of the Registrar of Record identified in this output for information on how to contact the Registrant, Admin, or Tech contact of the queried domain name.
Name Server: NS51.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Name Server: NS52.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned
Billing Email: Please query the RDDS service of the Registrar of Record identified in this output for information on how to contact the Registrant, Admin, or Tech contact of the queried domain name.
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: em...@domainbox.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8779770099
URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form: https://www.icann.org/wicf/
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2022-09-29T14:04:11.0Z <<<

sfmaster

Oct 5, 2022, 7:16:18 PM10/5/22
Hi all. Haven't had much time to check out the latest news here because I was stuck writing my latest story "The Penultimate Truth," which will get posted to Grometsplaza.com in a few weeks.
So you can imagine my surprise when I find FBI Conspiracy Theories about asstr.xyz floating around!
Just a few months ago I tried to make the case that the new site shouldn't have incent/pedo fiction because some politician would make some hay about it. Considering that libraries and librarians are under attack; and books have been banned because of content, I didn't think this was an unreasonable concern. Instead, I got criticized for it.
Times have changed. Just read the website BookRiot.com & Pen America - and the American Library Association for good measure.
So now suspicions have arisen about asstr.xyz - which if memory serves me right was set up as a mirror for asstr.org.
For months now, I have read about one attack after another.
You can't live or hide in the past, nor can you say we can continue because this is the way it was always done.
sfmaster (at) att.net

Red Magic

Oct 5, 2022, 8:59:55 PM10/5/22
While I agree with the sentiment, attack against literature does seem to be up, keeping objectional content off the site would help a bit in this regard. I still think this is the wrong path, if a substitute site is being made as it seems it is then it should remain as open as possible. As long as everything on it is legal they can scream all they want.

Foz “Jaxah” Tacticus

Oct 6, 2022, 4:07:48 AM10/6/22
As soon as governments, media or anyone starts to infringe on what ideas and thoughts are allowed or not, then the entire society is doomed.

There is a LOT of stuff on ASSTR that I find repulsive and nauseating. Yet I will stand by the authors that they should be allowed to express themselves, regardless of subject or content. Because if I don't do this now while my own freedoms aren't being hit on, who will stand with me or for me when my own personal freedoms are being curtailed? What give you the right to pick and choose freedom? It is freedom for all or not at all.

Sure, I fully understand that the world is run by the corporates. Where money can or can't be transferred is a the mercy of Visa and Mastercard - and they have rules which the big sites have to obey otherwise, they can no longer get paid. But they are companies - they are not free for thought and expression, their goal is to make money.

But this is the beauty of the internet - any person can set up a website they host themselves, they can be free to express themselves. Sure, it may or may not up 24 hours a day, sure it may not have all the bells and whistles of professionals, but who cares? The important thing is that we are free to express our thoughts and no one should be able to take that away from us.

I should clarify that while I support peoples ideas and expression - if that is as the cost of someone else that isn't freely and expressly given, then you are curtailing freedom and I reserve the right to strike you down hard for being a freedom hating asshole who is hiding behind freedom as an excuse.

sfmaster

Oct 6, 2022, 5:48:36 AM10/6/22
There is no such thing as absolute freedom on the internet. Kiwi Farms was just put out of business, Stormfront is operating on Russian severs, etc.
Teachers and Librarians have been called groomers and molesters. Libraries have been closed down. Teachers in Grade school have to purge their classroom libraries and reading lists. In High School, some states have passed anti-woke laws and "memory" laws." (It's a pity I don't live in one of those states because I would bring up The Spanish Inquisition as a test case) Righties now make no secret of the fact they want to replace Public Education with Religious Schools - I guess they already forgot about the Catholic Church's abuse scandal.
Just look at Florida!
Things have changed - I predict that any site that has incest/pedo will have their website host attacked.
Stop living in the past.

Foz “Jaxah” Tacticus

Oct 6, 2022, 7:05:50 AM10/6/22
On Thursday, 6 October 2022 at 10:48:36 UTC+1, a...@gmail.com wrote:
> Stop living in the past.

It's not living in the past - it's working on and improving the future. Is freedom going to be relegated to the dark web?

If I let things trample over others freedoms without complaint, then what right do I have when they trample over mine?
It's too late then - something that should have been pushed back due to little traction is allowed to fester and gain traction.

Freedom isn't about the past - it's about our future.

That said, companies are not your friends and never will be. Their services are run through by money and people want to make money. Their platforms will never include freedom because their goal is money - and that's fine. They have their place and they do their own thing. If money is the goal, then sure. Go do your own thing.

On the other hand, if your goal is freedom, well you're going to be funding and doing things yourself for your goal. Not enough money or resources? Work with others who align with out to bring down the costs, keep building a community and maybe you'll have built enough to have the traction to fight back.

If you talk like it's an inevitable lost cause, then for you it is.

I however will not be rolling over when my own freedoms are trampled on. Not now. Not ever. And if I let other's freedoms be trampled on now because I don't agree with it, then those that could have been allies to help me stand when I need them will be nowhere to be found.

Tim Merrigan

Oct 6, 2022, 3:18:30 PM10/6/22
<snide comment>
They won't object as long as it's cisgender and hetronomative.
</snide>
--

Qualified immunity = virtual impunity.

Tim Merrigan

www.avg.com

Kairu Hakubi

Oct 7, 2022, 3:55:36 AM10/7/22
On Thursday, October 6, 2022 at 4:48:36 AM UTC-5, adult...@gmail.com wrote:

> > I should clarify that while I support peoples ideas and expression - if that is as the cost of someone else that isn't freely and expressly given, then you are curtailing freedom and I reserve the right to strike you down hard for being a freedom hating asshole who is hiding behind freedom as an excuse.
> There is no such thing as absolute freedom on the internet. Kiwi Farms was just put out of business, Stormfront is operating on Russian severs, etc.
> Teachers and Librarians have been called groomers and molesters. Libraries have been closed down. Teachers in Grade school have to purge their classroom libraries and reading lists. In High School, some states have passed anti-woke laws and "memory" laws." (It's a pity I don't live in one of those states because I would bring up The Spanish Inquisition as a test case) Righties now make no secret of the fact they want to replace Public Education with Religious Schools - I guess they already forgot about the Catholic Church's abuse scandal.
> Just look at Florida!
> Things have changed - I predict that any site that has incest/pedo will have their website host attacked.
> Stop living in the past.

You have no idea which things are right and which are left. The left has become really good at confusing tings

John Doe

Oct 17, 2022, 4:29:17 PM10/17/22
The reason ASSTR is down is because their ISP / Domain Registrar took them offline due to multiple TOS violations.

Y Lee Coyote

Oct 17, 2022, 6:32:11 PM10/17/22
On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 13:29:14 -0700 (PDT), John Doe
<bakert...@gmail.com> wrote in
<488901cc-8002-4ed4...@googlegroups.com>:

>The reason ASSTR is down is because their ISP / Domain Registrar took them offline due to multiple TOS violations.

That sound strange after a quarter century. What is your source of this
statement, please.

P&E

Y.

See my stories at: https://yleecoyote.asslr.org/
Status page at: https://yleecoyote.weebly.com/

Mecca B

Oct 19, 2022, 1:43:56 AM10/19/22
On Monday, 17 October 2022 at 13:29:17 UTC-7, John Doe wrote:
> The reason ASSTR is down is because their ISP / Domain Registrar took them offline due to multiple TOS violations.
I agree with Y. I need a source.

George Forman

Oct 20, 2022, 1:03:25 AM10/20/22
John Doe stepped in and took a piss (maybe in the English way as in piss everyone off) and then didn't bother to follow up on proving their point.

-1000 points to John. May your dick rot off. May a your shorts become infested with the fleas of a thousand camels. I'll gladly remove my curses if you can prove your statement (or disprove it...).

Anyone else know how to check their assertion? I do not. I would like to know if it is true or not.

Michael McGuire

Oct 22, 2022, 8:57:17 AM10/22/22
meanwhile, is there an alternate to asstr that authors are going to? nowhere else ive found is accepting underage erotica.

George Forman

Oct 22, 2022, 10:24:07 AM10/22/22
On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 7:57:17 AM UTC-5, Michael McGuire wrote:
> meanwhile, is there an alternate to asstr that authors are going to? nowhere else ive found is accepting underage erotica.
Michael,

If you are wanting to be an author, you can look up Some Dude and send an email (I've made the assumption of 'he') (if you get a site, you can 'list' it at the ASSTR.d message (we are currently writing in ASSTR.d in a different message) in the below URL and the owner of xefig.com might add it to the list there.

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.sex.stories.d/c/LAsDF4X8Csw

A current listing of the sites at asslr.org seems to be at https://xefig.com/

Y Lee Coyote

Oct 23, 2022, 10:03:15 AM10/23/22
On Sat, 22 Oct 2022 07:24:04 -0700 (PDT), George Forman
<grend...@gmail.com> wrote in
<2634c433-3f96-42b8...@googlegroups.com>:

>On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 7:57:17 AM UTC-5, Michael McGuire wrote:
>> meanwhile, is there an alternate to asstr that authors are going to? nowhere else ive found is accepting underage erotica.
>Michael,
>
>If you are wanting to be an author, you can look up Some Dude and send an email (I've made the assumption of 'he') (if you get a site, you can 'list' it at the ASSTR.d message (we are currently writing in ASSTR.d in a different message) in the below URL and the owner of xefig.com might add it to the list there.
>
>https://groups.google.com/g/alt.sex.stories.d/c/LAsDF4X8Csw

Michael,

You are confusing things. There is not any Google nor USENET group
"ASSTR.d". This group, alt.sex.stories.d, is a USENET group which properly
accessed with a newsreader agent. Google acts as a newsreader for most if
not all non-binary USENET groups.

Back to Georges' question. Some Dude who is creating asslr.org has stated
that text will not be restricted for stories. Browse about here for more
info.

For older stuff check xefig.com which has a 2017 clone of ASSTR and
asstr.xyz which is an incomplete copy of asstr.org of March 2022.

>A current listing of the sites at asslr.org seems to be at https://xefig.com/
The list is not complete but will be shown when ASSLR.org is officially
launched.

Y.

Valid return address is <YLeeCoyote (at) juno.com>
(Posting address is for the spammers)

P & E

NoFun Inc.

Oct 25, 2022, 8:51:39 PM10/25/22
when is ASSLR coming online? i have been trying to find info but i can't seem to find it.

and is ASSTR able to come back?

Column Likuh Ceyum

Oct 26, 2022, 4:58:32 AM10/26/22
On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 4:57:17 AM UTC-8, Michael McGuire wrote:
> meanwhile, is there an alternate to asstr that authors are going to? nowhere else ive found is accepting underage erotica.

The only place I know of that accepts underage content is Wolfpub.org

It's intended to be more of a community rather than a place to dump your stories though where readers are encouraged to interact with authors and vice versa. I would suggest that any authors who want to use it keep that in mind and not just use it as a place to house their stories indefinitely without interacting with any readers who leave feedback. Likewise, I would encourage anyone reading stories to give feedback to authors there. Preferably with detailed reviews, but just telling an author that you liked their writing can make the author's day.

Foz “Jaxah” Tacticus

Oct 26, 2022, 7:30:52 AM10/26/22
ASSLR should be the replacement for ASSTR. Maybe Some_Dude can shed light on progress/restrictions (if any), I know he's been busy and ASSLR is a big project he's taken on.

However, if there is a need for unrestricted content that ASSLR cannot/will not host, I will open up xefig.com up to host more stuff, not just ASSTR legacy content.

Brev Circumflex

Oct 29, 2022, 2:04:20 PM10/29/22
A thought occurred to me. An alternative to the conspiracy theories and other ideas about why ASSTR is down. Does anyone know where the server for ASSTR is? I don't. If it's in the Ukraine, there's a possibility that it's offline because of the war, or simply has been physically obliterated by one side or the other.

Y Lee Coyote

Oct 29, 2022, 2:48:47 PM10/29/22
On Sat, 29 Oct 2022 11:04:17 -0700 (PDT), Brev Circumflex
<brevcir...@gmail.com> wrote in
<22daad3b-de94-49db...@googlegroups.com>:

>A thought occurred to me. An alternative to the conspiracy theories and other ideas about why ASSTR is down. Does anyone know where the server for ASSTR is? I don't. If it's in the Ukraine, there's a possibility that it's offline because of the war, or simply has been physically obliterated by one side or the other.

Sorry -- that is NOT the case. If it had been then we surely would have
heard from Rey that he was looking for a new host.

But search <<ip asstr.org>> and you will find that it is in the USA. Two
search results at https://ipaddress.com/website/asstr.org and
https://myip.ms/info/whois/64.71.155.222/k/1068344679/website/asstr.org
show that.

Tim Merrigan

Oct 29, 2022, 6:20:34 PM10/29/22
<brevcir...@gmail.com> wrote:

>A thought occurred to me. An alternative to the conspiracy theories and other ideas about why ASSTR is down. Does anyone know where the server for ASSTR is? I don't. If it's in the Ukraine, there's a possibility that it's offline because of the war, or simply has been physically obliterated by one side or the other.

As of the last I heard, the servers are in Central California,
somewhere near Lake Tahoe. Unfortunately the admin. lives in New
Jersey, so any maintenance that requires physical proximity is
somewhat of a problem.

Bill Ries-Knight (Steelhoof)

Nov 2, 2022, 1:06:15 AM11/2/22
About 32 results (0.48 seconds)
64.71.155.222 IP Address Information
ISP Internet Free Literature Corporation
Hostname mail.asstr.org
Domain Name he.net
Country
City Alexandria, Virginia
1 more row

WHOIS 64.71.155.222 | Internet Free Literature Corporationhttps://www.abuseipdb.com › whois › 64.71.155.222

Quick Stats
IP Location United States United States Fremont Hurricane Electric Llc
ASN United States AS6939 HURRICANE, US (registered Jun 28, 1996)
Resolve Host mail.asstr.org
Whois Server whois.arin.net
IP Address 64.71.155.222
Reverse IP 2 websites use this address.
NetRange: 64.71.128.0 - 64.71.191.255
CIDR: 64.71.128.0/18
NetName: HURRICANE-2
NetHandle: NET-64-71-128-0-1
Parent: NET64 (NET-64-0-0-0-0)
NetType: Direct Allocation
OriginAS: AS6939
RegDate: 2000-04-19
Updated: 2012-02-24
Comment: ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE
Ref: https://rdap.arin.net/registry/ip/64.71.128.0

OrgName: Hurricane Electric LLC
OrgId: HURC
Address: 760 Mission Court
City: Fremont
StateProv: CA
PostalCode: 94539
Country: US

Hurricaine Electric was, when I did hosting 20 years ago, based in Fremont, South east corner of San Francisco bay and a source of spammer hacker hell for me. A good place for the ASSTR.org server.

Current info suggests they are in San Jose, 90 minutes from me in a secure facility
https://ipinfo.io/64.71.155.222

*IF* I had permission/rights to access, I could at least clone the site in short order, but it seem mr ASSTR.org has vanished or possibly died.

Bill

Stephen Ng

Nov 14, 2022, 11:02:58 PM11/14/22
On Tuesday, November 1, 2022 at 10:06:15 PM UTC-7, Bill Ries-Knight (Steelhoof) wrote:

> Hurricaine Electric was, when I did hosting 20 years ago, based in Fremont, South east corner of San Francisco bay and a source of spammer hacker hell for me. A good place for the ASSTR.org server.
>
> Current info suggests they are in San Jose, 90 minutes from me in a secure facility
> https://ipinfo.io/64.71.155.222
>
> *IF* I had permission/rights to access, I could at least clone the site in short order, but it seem mr ASSTR.org has vanished or possibly died.
>
> Bill

Shorter trip for me, but I'm no sysadmin. Considering Rey El Sexo's possible age, maybe Covid claimed him and no one knew about it.

Santayana

Jan 7, 2023, 1:48:09 PM1/7/23
On Oct 6 2022 04:05:46 -0700 (PDT) Foz “Jaxah” Tacticus <fozz...@gmail.com>
said in Message-ID: <7520c1d1-a824-4ba0...@googlegroups.com>:

> On Thursday, 6 October 2022 at 10:48:36 UTC+1, a...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Stop living in the past.
>
> It's not living in the past - it's working on and improving the future. Is
> freedom going to be relegated to the dark web?

Freedom has /already/ been relegated to the dark web -- you just haven't
realized it yet.

> If I let things trample over others freedoms without complaint, then what
> right do I have when they trample over mine?
> It's too late then - something that should have been pushed back due to
> little traction is allowed to fester and gain traction.
>
> Freedom isn't about the past - it's about our future.

It's about both. Political and judicial decisions made in the past still
have influence today, and will continue to do so in the future. For example,
consider 18 USC §1462 -- this law was passed by Congress on March 2nd, 1873.

On March 2nd, 2023, this statute will be 150 years old. Within the last ten
years Frank McCoy and Thomas Arthur (Mr. Double) were both sentenced to
lengthy prison terms following convictions under this statute. McCoy died a
prisoner 3 years ago this coming April, and Arthur will very likely die in
prison, given his age, and the length of sentence imposed on him.

In particular, Arthur was charged with 5 counts under 18 USC §1462 -- he was
convicted on all 5 charges, and given the 5 year maximum sentence on each
of 4 counts, with the sentences to be served /consecutively/.

Before Davis, Dennis, and Higginson, Circuit Judges. Stephen A. Higginson,
Circuit Judge: A jury convicted Thomas Alan Arthur of... five counts of
using an interactive computer service to transport obscene matters, in
violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1462(a); ....

[...]

... [A] superseding indictment was filed in October 2020. The second
superseding indictment charged Arthur with ... five counts of using an
interactive computer service to transport obscene matters, in violation of
18 U.S.C. § 1462(a) (Counts 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6); ... WHILE COUNTS 2-6 WERE
PREMISED ON FIVE SEPARATE STORIES POSTED ON THE SITE, THOUGH NOT WRITTEN
BY ARTHUR. THE GOVERNMENT ALSO INTRODUCED TWO STORIES AT TRIAL WRITTEN BY
ARTHUR, WHICH FORMED PART OF THE BASIS FOR THE ALLEGATION IN COUNT 7.

[...]

... And Free Speech Coalition did not change the longstanding rule that
obscene speech is not protected by the First Amendment. See 535 U.S. at
245-46 (“The freedom of speech has its limits; it does not embrace certain
categories of speech, including defamation, incitement, obscenity, and
pornography produced with real children.”); ...

This "longstanding rule" was cemented in place by the Roth (1957) decision,
Miller v. California (1973), Alexander (1993) to name just a few. For a
longer list, please refer to this link:

https://www.mtsu.edu/first-amendment/encyclopedia/case/79/obscenity-and-pornography

[...]

The PSR calculated a Guidelines range of 360 to 1080 months. The maximum
term of imprisonment was twenty years on Counts 1, 8, and 9, and five
years on Counts 2-7. The district court sentenced Arthur to 240 months’
imprisonment on Count 1 and 60 MONTHS’ IMPRISONMENT ON COUNTS 2, 3, 4,
AND 5, ALL TO RUN CONSECUTIVELY TO EACH OTHER, as well as 60 months’
imprisonment on Counts 6, 7, 8, and 9, to run concurrently, for a total
of 480 months’ imprisonment and three years’ supervised release. Arthur
timely appealed.
[Emphasis added]

These excerpts from Arthur's appeal clearly show that no less than six (6)
charges, counts: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 were based on the stories posted on the
site.

Arthur was sentenced to 5 years imprisonment on each of charges 2, 3, 4 and
5 -- the sentences to run consecutively. In other words, he got 20 years in
prison -- half of the total sentence imposed -- just for the written word
alone.

18 USC §1462 criminalizes any speech as follows:

Whoever brings into the United States, or any place subject to the
jurisdiction thereof, or knowingly uses any express company or other
common carrier or interactive computer service (as defined in section
230(e)(2) [1] of the Communications Act of 1934), for carriage in
interstate or foreign commerce--

(a) any obscene, lewd, lascivious, or filthy book, pamphlet, picture,
motion-picture film, paper, letter, WRITING, PRINT, or other matter
of indecent character; or

(b) any obscene, lewd, lascivious, or filthy phonograph recording,
electrical transcription, or other article or thing capable of
producing sound; or

(c) any drug, medicine, article, or thing designed, adapted, or
intended for producing abortion, or for any indecent or immoral
use; or any written or printed card, letter, circular, book,
pamphlet, advertisement, or NOTICE OF ANY KIND GIVING INFORMATION,
DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, WHERE, HOW, OR OF WHOM, OR BY WHAT MEANS
ANY OF SUCH MENTIONED ARTICLES, MATTERS, OR THINGS MAY BE OBTAINED
OR MADE;
[Emphasis added]

or Whoever knowingly takes or receives, from such express company or
other common carrier or interactive computer service (as defined in
section 230(e)(2) 1 of the Communications Act of 1934) any matter or
thing the carriage or importation of which is herein made unlawful—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years,
or both, for the first such offense and shall be fined under this title
or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both, for each such offense
thereafter.

> That said, companies are not your friends and never will be. Their
> services are run through by money and people want to make money. Their
> platforms will never include freedom because their goal is money - and
> that's fine. They have their place and they do their own thing. If money
> is the goal, then sure. Go do your own thing.
>
> On the other hand, if your goal is freedom, well you're going to be
> funding and doing things yourself for your goal. Not enough money or
> resources? Work with others who align with out to bring down the costs,
> keep building a community and maybe you'll have built enough to have the
> traction to fight back.
>
> If you talk like it's an inevitable lost cause, then for you it is.

I hate to break it to you, but it is already a lost cause, both legally as
well as politically. If you think you can organize a mass-movement with the
goal of eliminating obscenity law, good luck to you. Neither the Democratic
party nor the Republicans will touch this issue with a barge-pole.

Your only political alternative may well be the Libertarian party, but
without a base of broad popular support, the Libertarians don't stand a
snowball's chance in hell of getting enough people elected to make the
slightest difference.

If anything, by all appearances, the Republicans intend to pander to their
supporters in the religious right, and vastly expand the definition of
obscenity so that it encompasses virtually all descriptions/expressions of
sexual activity, regardless of however it is conveyed or expressed.

> I however will not be rolling over when my own freedoms are trampled on.
> Not now. Not ever. And if I let other's freedoms be trampled on now
> because I don't agree with it, then those that could have been allies to
> help me stand when I need them will be nowhere to be found.

You are entirely free to write whatever you wish, and on their part, the
government is entirely free to prosecute you if they feel what you have
written is obscene.

The only opportunity you now have to express yourself, without fear of being
prosecuted, is to turn to the Darknet.

Frank McCoy set himself the goal of overturning Miller v. California, but in
the end, he only further cemented into place the very law he sought to
overturn.

Santayana
--
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it

PGP Keys:

RSA - https://keys.openpgp.org/vks/v1/by-fingerprint/A0F4EFD84216E884290ECE5ACA09B23284F3DA0E

ECC - https://keys.openpgp.org/vks/v1/by-fingerprint/8F13BB9AEE9B9D5CDB12B3FFADA1AB7816F39273