ASSLR Forum Available - Need Volunteers

Some Dude

Aug 20, 2022, 11:46:38 PM8/20/22
A new forum has been setup at https://forum.asslr.org. The idea was based on a comment by HBB Writes in another post. I thought it would be a good way to allow others to help this grow instead of being all on me.

I am wanting to delegate the setup and moderation to some other users so I can focus on the main site. If you are interested, please let me know.

The intent of the forum is to provide a place for better discussions on the ASSLR site. It will also serve as a place for authors to get support from admins or more experienced authors on how to use ASSLR (FTP guides, HTML formatting, etc.).

Eventually it would be great if each author had their own board to announce new stories and interact with readers if they wanted.

Mecca B

Aug 21, 2022, 9:00:09 PM8/21/22
Is it okay to advertise this site to others now?

Some Dude

Aug 21, 2022, 11:05:57 PM8/21/22
On Sunday, August 21, 2022 at 8:00:09 PM UTC-5, Mecca B wrote:
> Is it okay to advertise this site to others now?

If you are talking about the forum, I would hold off until it's more setup.

As for your own personal site, you can advertise it whenever.

- SD

Some Dude

Aug 21, 2022, 11:32:52 PM8/21/22
I added some general categories and starter forums to get the ball rolling. Permissions will be need to be tweaked, but will see how it goes.

rdodger

Aug 22, 2022, 4:25:44 PM8/22/22
I don't complete stories anywhere near often enough to have an active board of my own. But I'd be interested in helping out with moderation if you can sort of describe an overview of what's involved. Work has me tied up from about the 24th of one month through the 10th of the next month, so there's that also.

Rajah Dodger

Some Dude

Aug 22, 2022, 8:27:08 PM8/22/22
A board could be used to discuss existing stories between yourself and readers. We will see if it's something authors will want.

As for moderation, I'm not fully sure yet how it will play out. For now, I am hoping to find someone to help setup and organize the main boards and apply proper permissions. The forum software admin controls are fairly involved so someone would have to look things up and get familiar with it. Once the basics are done, then a process for moderation could be figured out.

- SD

HBB Writes

Aug 23, 2022, 4:25:32 PM8/23/22
On Saturday, August 20, 2022 at 11:46:38 PM UTC-4, Some Dude wrote:
> A new forum has been setup at https://forum.asslr.org. The idea was based on a comment by HBB Writes in another post. I thought it would be a good way to allow others to help this grow instead of being all on me.

Oh, wonderful, glad you found the idea helpful! <thumbs-up> I just registered for a user account there myself, under my usual dirty-fiction moniker of "HumbledBareBoy," so as soon as I receive the e-mail to activate my account...then, I can hop over and say hi! :-)

> I am wanting to delegate the setup and moderation to some other users so I can focus on the main site. If you are interested, please let me know.

I am indeed interested, primarily as a way of contributing to the ongoing endeavor, in some respects. (While I'm so far only experienced in the user-side of phpBB forums, I'm tech-oriented enough to get the hang of the opposing side, at least.) The actual amount of time to invest, of course, would depend on real-life, most notably health stuff and upcoming workload in the ensuing weeks and months. But I still remain interested in contributing, for something that brings me genuine benefit in my own life! When I get a chance (and some meds refilled) I'll go take a look at the relevant phpBB documentation, too, just in case.

> The intent of the forum is to provide a place for better discussions on the ASSLR site. It will also serve as a place for authors to get support from admins or more experienced authors on how to use ASSLR (FTP guides, HTML formatting, etc.).

I would add to that, topics such as: Layout and design, site navigation, content organization, and other aspects of user-friendliness that make for a better reading experience. (Really, the "tech" aspects can often be quite daunting, so it's always nice when people can help *each other* out!) But also other topics of relevance like private browsing, encryption, VPNs, onion routing, crypto, etc.

> Eventually it would be great if each author had their own board to announce new stories and interact with readers if they wanted.

That, I must say, might be overkill as the listing of authors grows exceptionally numerous, with tens or even hundreds of individual sub-forums getting excessive -- particularly if some of those had few or no threads, for authors with smaller story counts. However, what might be of interest is something we use over in another writing forum where I'm quite active: We have a sub-forum entitled "Author Journals" where each site author is allowed to startup a personal thread (titled after their pen name) to serve as their "private garden" to announce stories, share about their writing process, discuss other topics of personal interested, etc. and so forth.

Then, perhaps on a case-by-case basis, allocate dedicated sub-forums for those individual authors and collectors who are sufficiently "prolific" -- in terms of both volume and reader engagement -- to warrant that allowance. Just maintaining balance and different variations of scale, to avoid excess or redundancy. Similar principle as a restaurant menu fitting on a single page, instead of requiring several pages, hahah! :-P

Vance

Aug 24, 2022, 9:53:22 AM8/24/22
I'd like to volunteer, although I only have forum user experience.

Vance

Alexander Campbell

Oct 26, 2022, 4:33:12 PM10/26/22
Found this after waiting, wishing, hoping we'd see ASSTR again. I have a catalogue of stories from the previous few years that are all over the place, some that might fit and some that might not, but I've been looking for a place to share them. I signed up for an account and thanks to those making this possible!
Message has been deleted

Alexander Campbell

Oct 29, 2022, 1:06:19 AM10/29/22
On Wednesday, October 26, 2022 at 2:33:12 PM UTC-6, Alexander Campbell wrote:
> Found this after waiting, wishing, hoping we'd see ASSTR again. I have a catalogue of stories from the previous few years that are all over the place, some that might fit and some that might not, but I've been looking for a place to share them. I signed up for an account and thanks to those making this possible!

Not sure if it's just me but I'm not able to get a registration link. Perhaps they are manual and pending? I'm also very willing to volunteer to help with the forum though I'll admit my last experience of this type was phpbb probably a decade ago.

Y Lee Coyote

Oct 29, 2022, 7:26:24 AM10/29/22
On Fri, 28 Oct 2022 22:06:16 -0700 (PDT), Alexander Campbell
<alexanderc...@gmail.com> wrote in
<02589b24-d313-4ffb...@googlegroups.com>:

>On Wednesday, October 26, 2022 at 2:33:12 PM UTC-6, Alexander Campbell wrote:
>> Found this after waiting, wishing, hoping we'd see ASSTR again. I have a catalogue of stories from the previous few years that are all over the place, some that might fit and some that might not, but I've been looking for a place to share them. I signed up for an account and thanks to those making this possible!
>
>Not sure if it's just me but I'm not able to get a registration link. Perhaps they are manual and pending? I'm also very willing to volunteer to help with the forum though I'll admit my last experience of this type was phpbb probably a decade ago.

One can register for the forum directly. Becoming a moderator requires
assignment by the Admin which is Some Dude who is creating the site.

Getting a log-on and site name is also currently a manual function, again
by Some Dude.

For either I would suggest a direct email to Some Dude and then patience as
he has indicated he been busier with other things than ASSLR.

HTH

Y.

Valid return address is <YLeeCoyote (at) juno.com>
(Posting address is for the spammers)

See my stories at: https://yleecoyote.asslr.org/
Status page at: https://yleecoyote.weebly.com/

P & E

Alexander Campbell

Oct 31, 2022, 11:59:59 AM10/31/22
> >On Wednesday, October 26, 2022 at 2:33:12 PM UTC-6, Alexander Campbell wrote:
> >> Found this after waiting, wishing, hoping we'd see ASSTR again. I have a catalogue of stories from the previous few years that are all over the place, some that might fit and some that might not, but I've been looking for a place to share them. I signed up for an account and thanks to those making this possible!
> >
> >Not sure if it's just me but I'm not able to get a registration link. Perhaps they are manual and pending? I'm also very willing to volunteer to help with the forum though I'll admit my last experience of this type was phpbb probably a decade ago.
> One can register for the forum directly. Becoming a moderator requires
> assignment by the Admin which is Some Dude who is creating the site.
>
> Getting a log-on and site name is also currently a manual function, again
> by Some Dude.
>
> For either I would suggest a direct email to Some Dude and then patience as
> he has indicated he been busier with other things than ASSLR.
>
> HTH

Thank you for this!
- Alex

Some Dude

Nov 2, 2022, 12:00:53 AM11/2/22
If anyone is having issues with creating an account on the forum, please reach out to me at somedu...@gmail.com. I can manually verify a account for you. Seems registration emails are getting caught by spam filters. I will be putting more effort into fixing that once phase 2 is launched.

- SD