Nipple Piercing and Soldering?

Maiden1974

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

Does anyone know if its possible and how to solder nipple rings closed
after they are placed? My Master and i just got married about a month ago
and we would like to make my rings permanenet... any ideas welcome..
thanks

BRAZENLOBO

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

I have tried soldering to no avail in the past and recently have tried an
obvious alternative. I utilized Super Glue to permanently close ring on
her nipple. It held so well that she had an accident (in a grocery store
non-DS related) that pulled the ring out through the nipple without
breaking the glued bond. Since these initial piercings were very shallow
and not meant to be entirely permanent the damage was minimal though I
felt for her pain. This was an experimental piercing sometimes called
temporary piercings though I dont call them such since they are a
standard piercing simply done to a shallower depth.

The moral of the story is that one should exercise due diligence and
caution After the piercing to protect a newly sensatized area.

BrazenWolf
Clan Patriarch

Cuffsusr

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

Soldering will be extremely difficult unless you don't mind burning the
Hell out of your nipples as the ring heats and then cools off. Heat-
sinks (metal clips used to rapidly dissipate heat) applied to the ring
as it's soldered will *help* dissipate the heat before it reaches your
nipples but it's going to make soldering it that much more difficult.
If I HAD to solder the ring shut, here's how I would do it. Use a VERY
hot heat source so as to be able to solder it shut in just 2-3 seconds
(at the very most) and then IMMEDIATELY pour a glass of ice-water over
the ring to cool the ring before the heat fully reaches your nipple.
The WORST thing to do would be to try and use a low-heat soldering
device in a mis-guided attempt to keep the heat down. That would just
make the soldering job take longer, giving more time for the heat to get
around the ring to your nipple, ouch! Hmmm....I wonder if my submissive
woman needs a permanent nipple ring or two <g>?

Regards,
Cuffs

Inga Nordstrom

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

Speak with Warren Deane of Perforations in the UK - His # +44-1273-326577.
He can probably direct you.

Pirate Nick Baban

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

In article <4rq6ji$7...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,

Maiden1974 <maide...@aol.com> wrote:
>Does anyone know if its possible and how to solder nipple rings closed
>after they are placed? My Master and i just got married about a month ago
>and we would like to make my rings permanenet... any ideas welcome..
>thanks

You also might want to ask this question over on rec.arts.bodyart. I'm
sure there's a RABbit out there who could help you. Good luck. :)
--
"Pirate Nick" Baban * "Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late. The
PIR...@best.com * cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to

KelFay

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

In article <4rr004$d...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, braze...@aol.com says...

>I have tried soldering to no avail in the past and recently have tried
>an obvious alternative. I utilized Super Glue to permanently close ring
>on her nipple. It held so well that she had an accident (in a grocery
>store non-DS related) that pulled the ring out through the nipple
>without breaking the glued bond. Since these initial piercings were very
>shallow and not meant to be entirely permanent the damage was minimal
>though I felt for her pain. This was an experimental piercing sometimes
>called temporary piercings though I dont call them such since they are
>a standard piercing simply done to a shallower depth.

Is this flame bait or are you simply a complete fucking idiot?

>The moral of the story is that one should exercise due diligence and
>caution After the piercing to protect a newly sensatized area.

The real moral of the story here is that one should beware of completely
clueless fucking morons spewing horseshit like this.

hugs,

kelly

=================kel...@access.digex.net==================
"...give me little bits of more than I can take..." - soundgarden
"That which does not kill us makes us stranger." - Aeon Flux
"Anything is a very big word..." - KelFay
"This is just a rough estimate, but get out." - Exene Chervenka

Vector

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

maide...@aol.com (Maiden1974) writes:

>Does anyone know if its possible and how to solder nipple rings closed
>after they are placed? My Master and i just got married about a month ago
>and we would like to make my rings permanenet... any ideas welcome..
>thanks

I've done a little soldering on metal that was not in semi-permanent
contact with skin, and based on that, my guess is that what you want to
do does not seem to be possible. Metal conducts heat with surprising
speed. Can an experienced jewler out there tell me I am wrong?
Still, here are some ideas:

1. If you _must_ try soldering (using some technique to dissapate
the heat before it reaches the skin), try it on a ring/piece of
metal held (voluntarily) tightly between the fingers. If
you can _consistently_ manage a solder joint without burning
the fingers, I suppose you've got a chance. If not, the person
receiving the heat can drop the item quickly. "Dropping the item"
will not be possible for the piercing.

2. If the rings are large enough, or metalwork can be done fine
enough, consider some sort of captive pin arrangement, e.g., a
pin through interlocking parts that is peened over without heating
This works ok in soft metal. It should be possible to support the
pin in such a way that the force of working the metal bears only
on the supporting surface -- not on the nipple.

Good luck.

Vector

~Tasha Star~

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

braze...@aol.com (BRAZENLOBO) wrote:
> she had an accident (in a grocery store non-DS related)
>that pulled the ring out through the nipple...[...]

/>>>ooooouch<<<

>The moral of the story is that one should exercise due diligence and
>caution After the piercing to protect a newly sensatized area.

And careful of those mean nasty Grocery Store, Nipple pinching,
cucumbers....

Tasha
<having sympathy pains>
~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`
The Sanctuary Project-Exclusivly for CrossDressers &TV's.
New South Fla BDSM Club- Support/Parties-all orientations.
~Ethereal Dominance~- Professional Domination.
> http://www.shadow.net/~tasha
18524 N.W. 67 Avenue Suite# 325
Miami, FL. 33015 (305) 819-8111
~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`~*^`

Frites

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

maide...@aol.com (Maiden1974) asked:

>Does anyone know if its possible and how to solder nipple rings closed
>after they are placed? My Master and i just got married about a month ago
>and we would like to make my rings permanenet... any ideas welcome..

It's certainly possible, depending on the composition of the ring. It
could be done like so:
Turn the ring so that the break is as far as possible from the nipple.
Clamp a set of custom-fitting blocks between the nipple and the break.
As quickly as possible, carefully heat the part to be soldered
with a mini-torch, apply solder.
Quench or allow to cool, then remove the blocks.

The blocks act as heat sinks. They have to be large enough to hold
enough heat to not get overly hot themselves. They also have to have
cutouts that let the ring fit very well, so that heat is conducted
to the blocks and not through them. Of course, *don't* use solder
containing any lead! Silver-solder (tin-silver) should be used.

ObSafety advisory: If you decide it's within the possibilities of
a do-it-yourself operation, get an extra ring and practice on it
while it isn't inside any body part. You could hold the part where
it would pass through the nipple. It's much easier to let go if
things aren't working out.

Frites

--****ATTENTION****--****ATTENTION****--****ATTENTION****--***ATTENTION***
Your e-mail reply to this message WILL be *automatically* ANONYMIZED.
Please, report inappropriate use to ab...@anon.penet.fi
For information (incl. non-anon reply) write to he...@anon.penet.fi
If you have any problems, address them to ad...@anon.penet.fi

Alton J. Savoy

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

maide...@aol.com (Maiden1974) wrote:

>Does anyone know if its possible and how to solder nipple rings closed
>after they are placed? My Master and i just got married about a month ago
>and we would like to make my rings permanenet... any ideas welcome..

>thanks
Sure, they can be soldered closed. But it depends upon what material
they are made of.

I suggest consulting a jeweler.

dav...@terrestrial.com

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

maide...@aol.com (Maiden1974) wrote:

>Does anyone know if its possible and how to solder nipple rings closed
>after they are placed? My Master and i just got married about a month ago
>and we would like to make my rings permanenet... any ideas welcome..
>thanks

Try Epoxy A cold bonding agent, Unless you want the pain from the heat
:>

DL

Rubbasub

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

<< Does anyone know if its possible and how to solder nipple rings closed
after they are placed? My Master and i just got married about a month ago
and we would like to make my rings permanenet... any ideas welcome..
thanks >>

First the bad news;

OK, here goes. I learned to solder when I was four years old. You cannot
solder surgical stainless steel used in most piercings with standard
solder, the solder will not 'whet' the metal, it needs to be gas
soldered/welded, and that means HOT, over 800F.

You will have to use a silver base solder along with an acid flux. The
base metal (ring) _has_ to be heated then the solder applied, you cannot
melt the solder and drip it onto the metal, it may look good, but you
could probably flick it off with a fingernail, not the most permanent fix.

There used to be a solder called ARAX, acid cored, here in the UK. I have
a reel somewhere amongst all my junk, but I am damned if I can find it. It
can be used with many metals, but I am not sure about stainless. It also
has the problem that the acid core never becomes inactive, no matter how
well you clean it. I have pierced nipples and I would _never_ use it on
mine.

The point about heat burning the nipple was raised. DO NOT under any
circumstances pour cold water over hot metal, it will at best crack or
weaken any joint, it may even fracture the material or cause it to
explode. Try explaining THAT down at the hospital :-)

Now the good news;

There is a solder available that is usually called aluminium solder which
should do the trick. It is composed of 18% tin, 80% lead and 2% silver
alloy. It melts at a low enough temperature to use a standard soldering
iron, but at a temperature that would need a fairly large one, miniature
ones would be useless.

If your piercings are made of silver, you can use a standard soldering
iron. You can solder using standard 60/40 tin/lead alloy electrical
solder. Problem is, it is very soft. You can use silver solder,
available in eighteen inch lengths, but you need that high temperature
again, over 800F. It may be possible to 'heatsink' the ring enough so
that very little heat gets to the nipple, just don't ask me to try it :-)

One other thing to bear in mind is that both standard and silver solder
contain a large proportion of lead. Plumbers solder uses even larger
amounts. This should be taken into account when you think that the lead
will be in contact with the skin a lot. Newer plumbers solder contain no
lead, but they may not be suitable.

The only non toxic, lead free alloy you can use is General Purpose Silver
Brazing Alloy Silver-Flo 55. This consists of 55% silver, 22% zinc, 21%
copper and 2% tin. You will need the special flux, Silver Brazing Alloy
'Easy-Flo' Flux, supplied as a powder, which, unfortunately is irritating
to eyes and skin, though once used cleans right off. Temperature is again
a problem, over 1600F is needed. Ouch! You will need a miniature gas
torch for the actual soldering.

Unfortunately, I think that heat is going to be your major problem. You
would more than likely end up with a seriously burned nipple unless you
use standard solder on silver jewelry. The flux will just crack off under
fingernail pressure, is contained in the solder itself and is not acid
based (rosin core solder). You would be better though to dissolve it
after use with 1:1:1 Trichloroethane, Trichloroethylene or some commercial
flux cleaner. The Trich _can_ be irritating to the skin, though not for
most people. Just do not get it near foodstuffs or naked flame (it gives
off phosgene gas if burned, WW1 nightmare stuff).

Well, that's it folks. I have tried to be as accurate as possible, but
please note that if you try anything above it is _your_ responsibility, not
mine. It may be possible to weld the jewelry using a very fine TIG
welding tip, but heat and UV burns would be a problem. I could do the
welding myself, but would not. Sorry, I would be too scared to hurt
someone.

I hope the above proves useful, and the best of luck. I am no authority
on piercing, but I do know quite a 'bit' (excuse the pun to those who
know :-) about soldering and welding.

Regards,

Warren.

"Don't you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my
breakfast cereal" Zaphod Beeblebrox

Because not everybody understands them; :-) Smile, :-D Big Smile,
;-) Wink, :-X Keep quiet, :-( Sad, :'( Tears, :-O Shock,

Conrad Hodson

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

On 8 Jul 1996, Maiden1974 wrote:

> Does anyone know if its possible and how to solder nipple rings closed
> after they are placed? My Master and i just got married about a month ago
> and we would like to make my rings permanenet... any ideas welcome..
> thanks

I've seen it done. HOWEVER, it was done with rings of fairly large
diameter (about two inches across) and the wire was only about 18 gage.
Both of these, obviously, are going to reduce heat conduction from the
solder site to the flesh on the other side of the ring.

Given this sort of ring, the trick was to use a tunafish can with both
ends cut out. It was placed on the breast and sealed down with some kind
of goo (vaseline? collodion? I don't recall) and then the can was filled
with water while she lay on her back. Her nipple stayed under the water;
about half the ring stuck out above the water. The soldering was done
with a pencil-point mini-torch, by a man who was a master welder.

The piercings had completely healed, and the soldered rings were the ones
worn during the healing process--so there would be no possibility of a
bad reaction to a new metal just at the time the ring became permanent.
On the same note, she was careful to never turn the solder joint into the
piercing itself; solders are, by definition, different composition from
the metals they join, and often contain seriously toxic elements like
lead or cadmium. (Even so, he took great care filing down the solder
joint after it had cooled; the rings looked seamless to a quick glance.

Rings of such large size and thin wire are rarely seen these days; the
large size makes them easy to snag, and the thin wire may act like a
cheese cutter when they do. (The woman I'm describing only wears one of
them now; the other got ripped out when she snagged it on a
washing-machine lid. Ouch.)

Can you safely solder one of the smaller, thicker rings--say, 14 gage/one
inch diameter? I would try holding it with my fingers in a bowl of water
first, while an experienced welder or jeweler makes with the torch. A
highly skilled solderer, obviously, will take less time, and that's less
heating of the metal.

If the ring doesn't sting your fingers, you should be fine. Also, there
are some solders that melt very easily; some as low as 250 F. I would
definitely do my homework on this one if I were you. If you thought your
piercing took a while to heal--a burn up the middle of it is going to be
much worse!

Conrad Hodson

R.D.

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

I am by no means an expert on metal soldering. I have done quite a bit in
some of my hobbies boy I can tell you for sure that the heat required to
make a secure joint would be TOO MUCH for human flesh to stand. The
resulting burns would be more painfull than you can imagine. I know as I
have dripped molten solder onto my hands accidentaly and let me say in
all honesty that IT H*U*R*T!!!
Please try to do it another way. I would not want that kind of pain to
befall anyone. Plus the scars are permant. Do you really want scars on
your breasts? Probaly not. Good luck and congratulations on the marriage!
Richard

Velvet

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

>Maiden1974 wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know if its possible and how to solder nipple rings closed
>> after they are placed? My Master and i just got married about a month ago
>> and we would like to make my rings permanenet... any ideas welcome..
>> thanks

The consensus on soldering seems to be very negative, and I would advise
listening to it. Another possible way to produce a permanent piercing would
be to use those curved barbells with the little balls that screw on to the
open ends--and use something to fuse the threads so they can't be
opened--epoxy or something non-toxic. The concern here as with any form of
permanent closure is that in cases of emergency--say a medical trauma--you
would have to be prepared to cut the ring off or have it cut off for you by
someone who may or may not know what he's doing. How many ER's have cutters
on hand that would handle 8 or 10 gauge stainless steel? And the pulling out
of a ragged cut edge could be mighty interesting on top of another ongoing
emergency procedure. Just something to consider.

Velvet, who likes to be able to change her nipple jewelry from time to time

BRAZENLOBO

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

Recently I posted the true account of my experience with making the ring a
truely permanent fixture. Her nipple ring was accidentally ripped from
ther body in a grocery store.

For myself the gluing was done from frustration since the rings were quite
foten coming out at wholly inappropriate times. Hence the departure from
common sense. At the time the threat level of such appeared quite low,
however it only takes one good snag.

WHY do you wish to make it permanent? They work well enough if you buy
the proper type of ring from a tattoo shop that caters to body
modifications.

Use true nipple rings, they have longer shafts, etc and can be found in
shops catering to body modifications.

If you simply MUST do this I highly recommend that you wear a bandaid over
the nipples while engaged in general public activities. This perhaps seems
silly and an overcautious response to one ill experience on my part.
However she had the rings attached permanently for only 9 days before the
accident.

As for the shamlessly arrogant butthead who flamed my response I have
little to say other than you should learn some manners.

BrazenWolf
Clan Patriarch

Sunshyn

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

In <4s0pbh$i...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu> Velvet <mat...@mail.utexas.edu>
writes:
>The consensus on soldering seems to be very negative, and I would
advise
>listening to it. Another possible way to produce a permanent piercing
would
>be to use those curved barbells with the little balls that screw on to
the
>open ends--and use something to fuse the threads so they can't be
>opened--epoxy or something non-toxic. The concern here as with any
form of
>permanent closure is that in cases of emergency--say a medical
trauma--you
>would have to be prepared to cut the ring off or have it cut off for
you by
>someone who may or may not know what he's doing. How many ER's have
cutters
>on hand that would handle 8 or 10 gauge stainless steel? And the
pulling out
>of a ragged cut edge could be mighty interesting on top of another
ongoing
>emergency procedure. Just something to consider.

Actually, ER's have cutters on hand that will cut through wedding bands
and other rings with no problem. Crushed rings are a fairly common
occurance.

--
-Sunshyn "I'm not shy. I'm studying my prey."

\=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-/
\ Chainmail fashions / http://www.altsex.com/sblades
\ unique jewelry /
\ and leatherwork / Sbl...@aol.com
\=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-/

Andromeada

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96
>>Maiden1974 wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if its possible and how to solder nipple rings
closed
>>> after they are placed? My Master and i just got married about a
month ago
>>> and we would like to make my rings permanenet... any ideas
welcome..
>>> thanks
>
>The consensus on soldering seems to be very negative, and I would
advise
>listening to it. Another possible way to produce a permanent piercing
would
>be to use those curved barbells with the little balls that screw on to
the
>open ends--and use something to fuse the threads so they can't be
>opened--epoxy or something non-toxic. The concern here as with any
form of
>permanent closure is that in cases of emergency--say a medical
trauma--you
>would have to be prepared to cut the ring off or have it cut off for
you by
>someone who may or may not know what he's doing. How many ER's have
cutters
>on hand that would handle 8 or 10 gauge stainless steel? And the
pulling out
>of a ragged cut edge could be mighty interesting on top of another
ongoing
>emergency procedure. Just something to consider.
>
>Velvet, who likes to be able to change her nipple jewelry from time to
time

Right-O, Yenta sis. Consider also the simple things like mammograms
and chest x-rays, and what trouble permanent rings would be then.
Something to consider : maybe have little light tags made, and hang
those off the rings? Little bitty etched tags with the owner's name or
initials would be cute :)

Champ's k~, soon to be collard lock, stocks ( :) ) and barrel.

KelFay

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

On Tue, 9 Jul 1996, Alton J. Savoy wrote:

> maide...@aol.com (Maiden1974) wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know if its possible and how to solder nipple rings closed
> >after they are placed? My Master and i just got married about a month ago
> >and we would like to make my rings permanenet... any ideas welcome..
> >thanks

> Sure, they can be soldered closed. But it depends upon what material
> they are made of.
>
> I suggest consulting a jeweler.

I would not suggest consulting a generic jeweler. I would suggest
consulting a jeweler experience in body piercing jewelry. Check out BME
(http://www.io.org/~bme) or ask in rec.arts.bodyart as several people
already suggested.

- kelly

KelFay

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

On 10 Jul 1996, BRAZENLOBO wrote:

> Recently I posted the true account of my experience with making the ring a
> truely permanent fixture. Her nipple ring was accidentally ripped from
> ther body in a grocery store.

I think you're lying.

> For myself the gluing was done from frustration since the rings were quite
> foten coming out at wholly inappropriate times. Hence the departure from
> common sense. At the time the threat level of such appeared quite low,
> however it only takes one good snag.

And what are these rings made of, aluminum? Body jewelry is made of
surgical grade stainless steel, niobium, or titanium. Since you stated
that you glued the ring closed, I would assume this was either a captive
bead ring or fixed bead closure ring. The bead on a captive ring
generally only falls out if the ring is not closed upon it tightly enough.

> WHY do you wish to make it permanent? They work well enough if you buy
> the proper type of ring from a tattoo shop that caters to body
> modifications.
>
> Use true nipple rings, they have longer shafts, etc and can be found in
> shops catering to body modifications.

Shafts? Have you ever actually *seen* body jewelry? What sort of ring
has a 'shaft'? And I would recommend going to a body piercing studio, and
only getting tattoos from a tattoo artist. Would you go to a dentist to
cure an illness?

> If you simply MUST do this I highly recommend that you wear a bandaid over
> the nipples while engaged in general public activities. This perhaps seems
> silly and an overcautious response to one ill experience on my part.
> However she had the rings attached permanently for only 9 days before the
> accident.

I'm still puzzled as to why any idiot would put jewelry into a shallow
pierce, as you've claimed in your original post. This is just plain
fucking stupid.

> As for the shamlessly arrogant butthead who flamed my response I have
> little to say other than you should learn some manners.

When you post complete bullshit that could possibly be dangerous to
persons unfortunate enough to believe you, this is the sort of thing you
can expect. The more you post, the more ignorant you appear. Next time
you want to feel important, post on a top[ic you have some actual
knowledge and experience with.

- kelly

The Lone Stranger

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

In article <4rsmsl$6...@solaris.cc.vt.edu>, Vector <vec...@magenta.com> wrote:
:
: I've done a little soldering on metal that was not in semi-permanent

:contact with skin, and based on that, my guess is that what you want to
:do does not seem to be possible. Metal conducts heat with surprising
:speed. Can an experienced jewler out there tell me I am wrong?

I doubt it can be done. Soldering is just too slow a process, and
metals that solder easily, like gold and silver, conduct heat extremely
well. Titanium and, to a degree, stainless steel are poorer conductors,
but both are very difficult or impossible to solder.

You would probably have better luck with spot welding. That process is
almost instantaneous, so you could cool the joint before the rest of the
piece had a chance to heat up. Actually, if it's done right the total
amount of heat generated won't be enough to raise the overall
temperature of the piece significantly. Unfortunately, spot welding
requires special equipment, and extreme precautions to keep the jewelry
wearer from accidentally becoming part of the electrical circuit.

How about forming the ring in place by passing a piece of fine gold wire
many times through the piercing, making a multi-strand loop, and then
cold welding the strands together with pressure to form a solid ring and
burnishing the surface to the requisite smoothness? I'm not sure how
pure the gold needs to be in order to cold weld satisfactorily --
possibly too pure (and therefore soft) for jewelry. If it is doable, it
should be a satisfyingly long process with a sensitive bit of the wearer
held in close proximity to the hammer as it tap-tap-taps the ring into
shape. Mmmmm, sounds better all the time.

-^^ ^- ^-- -^^ ^^ -^^ ^- ^-- -^^ ^^ - -^^ ^- ^-- -^^ ^- ^-- -^^ ^^ -^^ ^- ^--
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
- The Lone Stranger - Foole Groupie

Emily Breed

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

In article <19129271...@rabit.demon.co.uk>,

Rubbasub <Rubb...@rabit.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>OK, here goes. I learned to solder when I was four years old. You cannot
>solder surgical stainless steel used in most piercings with standard
>solder, the solder will not 'whet' the metal, it needs to be gas
>soldered/welded, and that means HOT, over 800F.

According to a table in _The Complete Metalsmith_ (by Tim McCreight - a
very useful book for anyone interested in the subject), silver solder
melts at temperatures ranging from 1270F (extra-easy) to 1490F (extra
hard). That's not anything I want anywhere close to my nipples,
thankyewverymuch....

As someone else in this thread suggested, if you have questions about this
sort of thing, please ask on rec.arts.bodyart. The people who read and
post there are very experienced, and can discuss the pros and cons of
something like this.

Emily Breed emi...@best.com
"He had allowed his daughters to use his library without restraint, and
nothing is more fatal to maidenly delicacy of speech than the run of a
good library." -- Robertson Davies, _Tempest-Tost_

Rubbasub

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

The Lone Stranger wrote;

<< Titanium and, to a degree, stainless steel are poorer conductors, but
both are very difficult or impossible to solder. >>

It is more to do with their metallic composition than conduction, they are
easy to join, stainless especially, but see my previous post for the
temperature problems.

<< You would probably have better luck with spot welding. That process is
almost instantaneous, so you could cool the joint before the rest of the
piece had a chance to heat up. Actually, if it's done right the total
amount of heat generated won't be enough to raise the overall
temperature of the piece significantly. Unfortunately, spot welding
requires special equipment, and extreme precautions to keep the jewelry
wearer from accidentally becoming part of the electrical circuit. >>

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO. Spot welding relies the fact that an
electrical short is generated in the material being welded, and a nipple
ring _is_ a short, that is why spot welding is usually used on sheet
metal. IF YOU ATTEMPT TO USE SPOT WELDING ON A NIPPLE RING AND THE
WELDING CIRCUIT IS NOT ABSOLUTELY PERFECT, THE WHOLE RING WILL HEAT
INSTANTLY TO SEVERAL THOUSAND DEGREES AS THERE IS _ALREADY_ A
SHORT IN THE LOOP OF THE RING, INSIDE THE NIPPLE, WHERE THE HEAT WILL
CONCENTRATE **DO NO TRY THIS**.

A very good point though about the wearer becoming part of the circuit. I
forgot to mention that in my previous piece if the ring is TIG welded.

Also, I noticed that someone else stated that an electrical heatsink could
be used, but these are used on very, very fine wires and would not be up
to the task of sinking the heat needed for the joining of nipple ring ends.

I would like to point out that the above statements are not a flame
(excuse the pun), you just have to know welding principles to issue those
sort of statements. Spot welding only _seems_ to use less heat than a
conventional welder, but the truth is that it uses _more_ heat as it has
to totally melt all layers of metal to get them to join, whereas a
conventional welder only has to melt only one layer and at least partially
melt the second to work, otherwise you can end up with burn through or
drop through.

The Bladesman

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

And then Maiden1974 just had to go and say:

>Does anyone know if its possible and how to solder nipple rings closed
>after they are placed? My Master and i just got married about a month ago
>and we would like to make my rings permanenet... any ideas welcome..

Instead of soldering the joint closed, I'd check in rec.arts.bodyart
and see if anyone makes a nipple ring that can be *crimped* closed or
something similar. I find it extremely hard to imagine that at least
*one* ingenious soul hasn't come up with what you're looking for.

The Bladesman <bla...@inreach.com>
Life Is A Joke. Please Take It Seriously.

"What is of extreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy."
- Sun Tzu

mouse

Jul 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/19/96

On Fri, 12 Jul 1996 00:43:31 -0400, KelFay <kel...@access.digex.net> wrote:

>On 10 Jul 1996, BRAZENLOBO wrote:
>
>> Recently I posted the true account of my experience with making the ring a
>> truely permanent fixture. Her nipple ring was accidentally ripped from
>> ther body in a grocery store.
>
>I think you're lying.

Oh dear, ma'am might this be a bit of an over-reaction?

<<Snipping what can only be the sharing of a bad experience to which Master BrazenWolf obviously
feels badly about (expressed most infactically in the original post), so that the original poster
might learn from His experiences without suffering a similar fate.>>

<<Snip more ugliness, wondering why anyone would jump into an NG with flame, not knowing who was
who>>

>I'm still..any idiot ... you've claimed...fucking stupid.

<<Snipping Master BrazenWolf's gentle warning to the poster>>

>When you post complete bullshit that could possibly be dangerous to
>persons unfortunate enough to believe you, this is the sort of thing you
>can expect. The more you post, the more ignorant you appear. Next time
>you want to feel important, post on a top[ic you have some actual
>knowledge and experience with.
>
>- kelly

Ma'am, Master BrazenWolf has the uttmost respect of many of us that read this NG. He has given
unselfishly of His knowlege and experiences so that we might learn from those, good and bad. He has
done so without reservation, even when such is difficult. i have learned a great deal from those
such as He, and will continue to do so. Perhaps you might even be the supplier of such knowlege.
However, it seems unwise to flame someone when they have already acknowleged guilt. It makes your
words very difficult to hear.
Just a thought from a lurker, who loves many of these gentle ppl for sharing so much with those of
us who stand in the shadows.

Respectfully,
mouse

____
____/__ C°_\ ™

______________________________

Everything that i have,
Everything that i am
Is His.
My power, my passion, my pain.
______________________________

XenaTheRed

Jul 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/19/96

In addition to the very real danger of having the rings inadvertently
ripped from the wearer, there is always the possibility of an infection
which would necessitate removal of the ring for proper healing. One
patient with which I am familiar ended up losing part of her breast
because of a Staph infection acquired during play from her boyfriend's
sore throat. She was hesitant to remove the ring for healing and waited
just a tad too long.

Gary Konas

Jul 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/19/96

Another possibility: if you have a captive bead ring (available from any
piercer), and if it clasps shut by means of a threading mechanism, you
could simply apply a drop of Super Glue to the threads, then quickly
screw it shut. I imagine that would work as a cold solder/weld. Does that
make sense?

Gary

The Bladesman

Jul 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/20/96

And then Gary Konas just had to go and say:

>Another possibility: if you have a captive bead ring (available from any
>piercer), and if it clasps shut by means of a threading mechanism, you
>could simply apply a drop of Super Glue to the threads, then quickly
>screw it shut.

Good idea, as most hobby shops (that sell RC models) sell different
types of super glue with slower bonding times, and also sell "glue
accelerators" which fuses the glue instantly when applied. Your mention
of cold solder gave me another idea though. What's that silver stuff
dentists use to fill cavities?

KelFay

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

In article <31ef25fb...@news.mindspring.com>, mo...@mouse.com
says...

wrote:

>>I think you're lying.

>Oh dear, ma'am might this be a bit of an over-reaction?

Umm... no. Is it over-reacting to just flat out not believe someone?
And, as I indicated, there has been private email exchanged that you have
not seen. Or maybe you have. *shrug*

[snipping seemingly random pieces of posts taken out of context]

>>When you post complete bullshit that could possibly be dangerous to
>>persons unfortunate enough to believe you, this is the sort of thing
>>you can expect. The more you post, the more ignorant you appear. Next
>>time you want to feel important, post on a top[ic you have some actual
>>knowledge and experience with.

>Ma'am, Master BrazenWolf has the uttmost respect of many of us that read
>this NG. He has given unselfishly of His knowlege and experiences so
>that we might learn from those, good and bad. He has

How unfortunate for you that you so trustingly believe people who are
clearly clueless. I sincerely hope no harm comes to you out of this
practice.

>done so without reservation, even when such is difficult. i have
>learned a great deal from those such as He, and will continue to do so.
> Perhaps you might even be the supplier of such knowlege.

Since I am telling him how wrong this is, I would really doubt it,
wouldnt you? Or are you just really, really thick?

>However, it seems unwise to flame someone when they have already
>acknowleged guilt. It makes your words very difficult to hear.

No. He claimed guilt for something that never happened. The things he
has said are contradictory, to the extent that they are not possible.
Get it? :)

>Just a thought from a lurker, who loves many of these gentle ppl for
>sharing so much with those of us who stand in the shadows.

I take great offense at people spreading misinformation that is clearly
and completely ficticious, not to mention possibly dangerous. Your
loyalty to your friend is charming, but sadly undeserved. I note that he
has not responded with any real facts on his story.

And by the way, I consider it offensive that your private email to me did
not indicate that you posted this to the newsgroup. I was expecting this
sort of behavior, as it is consistent with the tactics of your friend.

- Kelly

KelFay

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

In article <4so8d9$s...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, xenat...@aol.com says...

Just FYI: This is in direct contradiction with all of the reputable
sources on piercing. I have always been told (consistently, by a number
of professional piercers, the body piercing FAQ from r.a.b., and all the
literature I have accumulated on the topic) that one should leave the
jewelry _in_ an infected piercing. The reason for this is that the
jewelry keeps the pierce open and enables draining of any puss. If it is
necessary to remove the jewelry, it should be done after the infection is
under control. The advised treatment I have gotten for an infected
piercing has consistently been: 1) clean the piercing as you were
instructed to when it was new; 2) use triple anti-biotic ointment on the
piercing, being certain to get some of it inside; 3) consult a doctor
(that is body-piercing friendly if that is possible). A list of body
mod-friendly doctors is available at http://www.sfo.com/~app/ which is
the webpage of the Association of Professional Piercers.

- kel

Net Stront

Aug 18, 2023, 8:17:26 AM8/18/23
Pulse arc welding allows low temp fusion on precious metal

Brian G

Aug 21, 2023, 11:40:46 AM8/21/23
Blimey, this thread has been dredged up from a very long time ago!

At that time solder contained a lot of lead, probably not a good idea, I'd
have thought.
Brian

--

-----