Capital sewing machine

Sew Like Crazy

Oct 1, 2003, 10:29:35 AM10/1/03
I found an old sewing machine cabinet that had a Capital sewing Machine in
it. Dose anyone here know what it would be worth or when they made these
machines. It had a model no I think was a 300 but it didn't have the date on
it. They wanted $30 for it. It looks to be a 1960's or 50's maybe. I have
never heard of that brand of machine before. Thanks in advance

Sew Like Crazy

Oct 2, 2003, 1:08:18 PM10/2/03
Know one knows????????

"Sew Like Crazy" <samp...@texas.net> wrote in message

Joanne

Oct 2, 2003, 4:33:56 PM10/2/03
There are a lot of "brand" names on sewing machines, but
not so many manufacturers, so you'll find lots of names
that nobody has heard of. Often, a department store
contracted to have their name put on machines to sell in
their stores - if they did this over a few years, there
might be as many manufacturers involved as years of sales.

Usually, the best way to proceed is to look at pictures of
machines to see who made one with the same details. Then
you have a chance of finding attachments, instructions, etc.

You don't say what kind of machine this is - straight
stitch only, or zigzag. The earlier straight stitch
machines generally came from White, National, and maybe
one or two other companies. The later straight stitch and
zigzag machines were usually made in Japan by start-up
companies, but "clones" of American machines.

Look at the ISMACS site if it's an older machine. Use
Google.com to find sites with pictures of later machines.
There is a lot of information out there.

Good luck.

--
Joanne <mailto:stit...@singerlady.reno.nv.us>
Life is about the journey, not about the destination.

Hanna's Mom

Oct 2, 2003, 6:34:56 PM10/2/03
On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 13:33:56 -0700, Joanne <joa...@nospam.reno.nv.us>
wrote:

>Sew Like Crazy wrote:
>> Know one knows????????
>>
>> "Sew Like Crazy" <samp...@texas.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>I found an old sewing machine cabinet that had a Capital sewing Machine in
>>>it. Dose anyone here know what it would be worth or when they made these
>>>machines. It had a model no I think was a 300 but it didn't have the date

Capital/Capitol and several others were made in Japan in the 50's and
60's. They are rather sturdy machines often based on a Singer model
machine. Lift the machine up to see if there is a name stamped on the
base. Often these are made by the 'Happy' machine company in Japan
who badged machines for several dept stores in the 50-60's. $30 seems
a fair price for a working machine. Make sure it all works first.

Sew Like Crazy

Oct 3, 2003, 12:15:59 AM10/3/03
Thanks everyone for the input. It has a zigzag stitch. I will have to go
back to the shop I saw it in and see if it has a maker name on it.

"Hanna's Mom" <Rotts.com> wrote in message

BJConnolly

Mar 18, 2020, 12:30:04 PM3/18/20
I have a Capitol which I purchased new about 1969 and it is model 900. I believe it was about $400 then, which was a lot of money in 1969! It is very difficult to get any information on these machines today.

--
For full context, visit https://www.inspirepoint.com/sewing/husqvarna-lily-555-accessories-412-.htm

ItsJoanNotJoann

Mar 18, 2020, 6:35:31 PM3/18/20
Thanks for replying to this sixteen (16+) plus year old thread. We were
wondering when you'd show up and share this information with the group.

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Mar 18, 2020, 6:46:14 PM3/18/20
On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 15:35:30 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 11:30:04 AM UTC-5, BJConnolly wrote:
>>
>> I have a Capitol which I purchased new about 1969 and it is model 900.
>> I believe it was about $400 then, which was a lot of money in 1969 !
>> It is very difficult to get any information on these machines today.
>> For full context, visit https://www.inspirepoint.com/sewing/husqvarna-lily-555-accessories-412-.htm
>>

>Thanks for replying to this sixteen (16+) plus year old thread. We were
>wondering when you'd show up and share this information with the group.

For any others who dredge-up this thread - and are interested in
a vintage Capitol machine - try a google image search -
perhaps "vintage viking sewing" and see if the Capitol
is a clone of any of the Viking machines ...
Not everyone here is going to ridicule your efforts.
John T.

ItsJoanNotJoann

Mar 18, 2020, 9:02:12 PM3/18/20
On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 5:46:14 PM UTC-5, hub...@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

> For any others who dredge-up this thread - and are interested in
> a vintage Capitol machine - try a google image search -
> perhaps "vintage viking sewing" and see if the Capitol
> is a clone of any of the Viking machines ...
> Not everyone here is going to ridicule your efforts.
> John T.

I ridiculed her reply to a 16+ year old thread that she dredged up that no
one had asked about. If someone had actually asked about this particular
machine it would be different. The last person that had asked about this
model was Sew Like Crazy on October 02, 2003 (10/02/03).

Apparently the sites that monitor many of these groups have posters who are
incapable of reading the dates of the threads they so eagerly reply to. The
threads some 25+ years ago and replied to are always entertaining as well.

Shyenda

Apr 26, 2020, 1:00:04 PM4/26/20
Do you have the instruction manual that came with the machine? My grandmother passed away and I have her machine, but have no idea how to use it. I have a brother computerized machine myself. I don’t want to give this machine away or trash it

--
For full context, visit https://www.inspirepoint.com/sewing/capital-sewing-machine-58451-.htm

ItsJoanNotJoann

Apr 26, 2020, 7:21:18 PM4/26/20
Who are you directing this question to?? Quoting is always appreciated.

Linda

Mar 28, 2021, 3:30:34 PM3/28/21
I had a Capital 600 sewing machine . I bought it in 1969 from a door to door salesman. It cost me $400 which was a lot back then. . Best machine I've had. I used to sew a lot back then. When it was about 18 years old a spring that controlled moving the needle side to side broke and I could never find anyone to fix it. My foolish husband threw it away without me knowing. I still have the manual, cams for fancy stitches and different pressure foots. I've never had another I liked as well.

ItsJoanNotJoann

Mar 29, 2021, 12:15:06 PM3/29/21
Ummmmmmmmmm, ok. Thanks for contributing to this dead eighteen (18) year old post.

Mary E

May 21, 2021, 1:15:05 AM5/21/21
I appreciate this info unlike the next commenter, even 17 years later. I was trying to find info on one today and your comment is the only info I’ve found so far. So thank you!

--
For full context, visit https://www.inspirepoint.com/sewing/capital-sewing-machine-58451-.htm

Cynthia

Oct 30, 2021, 6:30:23 PM10/30/21
Dear Linda: I recently acquired a capitol 600 sewing machine. I was astonished by the quality of this beautiful machine. I am very happy to have it. Would you like to sale the accessories of the machine? I don't have any accessories with the machine. It made my machine not perfect. Please let me know. Thank you.
Message has been deleted

Linda W

Jan 17, 2022, 7:45:04 PM1/17/22
I also appreciate this very old thread being dredged up! I’ve been trying to find information on a Capitol 160BB machine that my dad found recently and this thread is basically the only one with any info at all. Joan, calm down and go be miserable somewhere else 😘

Lori L

Mar 21, 2022, 2:00:24 AM3/21/22
Dear Linda,
I was fortunate to acquire a lovely old Capitol 600 and have been unsuccessful in my online search for the manual. Would you be willing to scan/copy your manual and make it available?

Wanu

Sep 23, 2022, 9:30:39 PM9/23/22
Hi Linda, just came across this. I just bought a capitol 900 at a thrift store, no manual. Any chance I could get a copy if you still have it?

Troy

Mar 12, 2023, 1:45:05 PM3/12/23
Brother Industries Ltd.
Brother Industries Ltd. (the company that manufactures Brother sewing machines) traces its history back more than 100 years. In 1908, Kanekichi Yasui founded the Yasui Sewing Machine company, working at his home in Nagoya, Japan.

This company made lots of machines with many names, Capital, being one of them.

Hope this helps!

Troy

Mar 12, 2023, 1:45:05 PM3/12/23
from the info I found online and you tube, capitol was made by the same company that made the brother brands of machines in Japan. Made in Japan machines were very high quality at the time and better and more durable than machines made today. Seek other machines of the era (especially brother) for info. *And oil every part that moves!* More information is available now via the web, and many new sewers may have come across these wonderful machines and since the info is archived here, it's valuable for an eternity for readers. So even 18 years later it's got value and is valid to new readers. So don't shoot the people who try to spread knowledge. Ancient history is known because people answered questions from the past that lacked info until information becomes known. Enjoy these machines they are going to still be sewing in 25 years and beyond.....for your children and grandchildren with proper upkeep.

Nub Ng

Mar 24, 2023, 2:21:41 AM3/24/23

nosew!

Jan 16, 2024, 12:30:06 AMJan 16
I have a 600 with all the cams and other attachments also instruction book with oiler. Any idea worth?