Newer Trend with exposed zipper down the back

Chris R

Mar 29, 2013, 8:24:11 AM3/29/13
I've mostly noticed it on TV shows. The exposed zipper down the back of
a dress looks TACKY to me, but maybe that's just me.

How do any of you feel about this trend.

Bobbie Sews More

Mar 29, 2013, 10:06:12 AM3/29/13

"Chris R" <raw...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> I've mostly noticed it on TV shows. The exposed zipper down the back of
> a dress looks TACKY to me, but maybe that's just me.
>
> How do any of you feel about this trend.

I think it looks like they really DON"T know how to insert a zipper!
Barbara in Florida

BEI Design

Mar 29, 2013, 5:06:08 PM3/29/13
Ugh! 'Nuff said...

Farm1

Mar 29, 2013, 7:46:06 PM3/29/13
"Chris R" <raw...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> I've mostly noticed it on TV shows. The exposed zipper down the back of
> a dress looks TACKY to me, but maybe that's just me.
>
> How do any of you feel about this trend.

A recent 'Threads' also featured such a dress on the cover. It doesn't
appeal to me but then neither do exposed seams which are frayed or 'one size
fits all'. It's probably just that I'm too old to recognise that such
things might be considered to be 'new' or 'refreshing' or even
'interesting'.

Ursula Schrader

Mar 30, 2013, 3:01:05 AM3/30/13

"Farm1" <He...@there.sometimes> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Nah, you're not. Folks today are just no longer aware what quality means,
neither in food nor dress nor entertainment nor anything else. The suckers
fall for that sham package of 'pay more for less effort from the side of the
manufacturer'. I only say: The Emperor's New Clothes.

U. - <rocks comfy in her rocking chair on the front porch, shifting her
Missouri meerschaum from the left tooth gap to the right and scratching the
white stubbles on her chin> ;-)

P.S.: This is also a test; my old newsreader is going out of business by
03/31 and now I post via albasani.net. If you, perhaps, would be so kind and
let me know if I'm 'visible to you...

Claire Owen

Mar 30, 2013, 5:16:43 AM3/30/13
I see you
Clqire in Montreal FRANCE

Kay Lancaster

Mar 30, 2013, 5:42:03 AM3/30/13
Regular old zipper, exposed teeth or coils, nah. Some of the newer "fancy
zippers" really are trims, imo. <http://www.pacifictrimming.com/default/riri-multi-color-teeth-one-way-closed-end-m6-zipper-r6multi21011ws.html>
Well, at $25, they darn well oughtta be trims!

Kay

Pogonip

Mar 30, 2013, 6:43:01 AM3/30/13
I won't wear a dress with a back zipper. They're too hard to get in and
out of and I can't rely on having help around when I need it.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com

Polly Esther

Mar 30, 2013, 4:31:42 PM3/30/13
I see you in Mississippi's Black Creek Swamp where the gators are taking the
tourists home for dinner. Polly

BEI Design

Mar 30, 2013, 2:32:07 PM3/30/13
Pogonip wrote:
> On 3/29/2013 5:24 AM, Chris R wrote:
> > I've mostly noticed it on TV shows. The exposed zipper
> > down the back of a dress looks TACKY to me, but maybe
> > that's just me. How do any of you feel about this trend.
> >

> I won't wear a dress with a back zipper. They're too
> hard to get in and out of and I can't rely on having help
> around when I need it.

Exposed zippers are used as "design elements" on way more
places beside the back. A few Project Runway designers seem
to think big bulky brass-teeth zippers are lovely on formal
gowns. :-(

How's this for butt-ugly:
http://www.zappos.com/calvin-klein-plus-size-shift-dress-w-zippers-cobalt?ef_id=UVSe4gAABWn2zj0a:20130330182211:s

or:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/tahari-by-arthur-s-levine-exposed-zip-shift-dress/3269172?cm_cat=datafeed&cm_ite=tahari_by_arthur_s._levine_exposed_zip_shift_dress:529145&cm_pla=dresses:women:dress&cm_ven=Google_Product_Ads&mr:referralID=c1b44d31-9967-11e2-a969-001b2166c2c0

And here we go, $197 for an ill-fitting exposed zipper
dress:
http://store-us.hugoboss.com/%E2%80%98Alwy%27-|-Cotton-Blend-Exposed-Back-Zip-Dress/hbna50233177,en_US,pd.html?SR=GOOGLEcse&wt_mc=us.cse.GOOGLE.product.Women.~Alwy%27%20|%20Cotton-Blend%20Exposed%20Back-Zip%20Dress&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=GOOGLE&gclid=CMWr65uJpbYCFeN_Qgod4S8AJA

Simplicty very kindly shows one how to do it:
http://www.simplicity.com/t-sewing-videos-exposed-zipper.aspx

Gah!

HTH ;->

Beverly

Farm1

Mar 31, 2013, 1:58:08 AM3/31/13
"BEI Design" <nospam_b...@comcast.net.invalid> wrote in message
Eeew! And the fabric doesn't even look appealing....

Farm1

Mar 31, 2013, 1:59:41 AM3/31/13
"Ursula Schrader" <usch...@versanet.de> wrote in message
> "Farm1" <He...@there.sometimes> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>> A recent 'Threads' also featured such a dress on the cover. It doesn't
>> appeal to me but then neither do exposed seams which are frayed or 'one
>> size fits all'. It's probably just that I'm too old to recognise that
>> such things might be considered to be 'new' or 'refreshing' or even
>> 'interesting'.
>
> Nah, you're not. Folks today are just no longer aware what quality means,
> neither in food nor dress nor entertainment nor anything else. The suckers
> fall for that sham package of 'pay more for less effort from the side of
> the manufacturer'. I only say: The Emperor's New Clothes.

Well I guess that is pretty much how I think too :-))

> U. - <rocks comfy in her rocking chair on the front porch, shifting her
> Missouri meerschaum from the left tooth gap to the right and scratching
> the white stubbles on her chin> ;-)
>
> P.S.: This is also a test; my old newsreader is going out of business by
> 03/31 and now I post via albasani.net. If you, perhaps, would be so kind
> and let me know if I'm 'visible to you...

You sure are visible.

Pogonip

Mar 31, 2013, 6:23:48 PM3/31/13
On 3/30/2013 12:01 AM, Ursula Schrader wrote:
> U. - <rocks comfy in her rocking chair on the front porch, shifting her
> Missouri meerschaum from the left tooth gap to the right and scratching
> the white stubbles on her chin> ;-)
>
> P.S.: This is also a test; my old newsreader is going out of business by
> 03/31 and now I post via albasani.net. If you, perhaps, would be so kind
> and let me know if I'm 'visible to you...

*Settling into the other rocker* Here, have some moonshine. *Handing
Ursula the jug.* Works for me. :-D

Pogonip

Mar 31, 2013, 6:30:49 PM3/31/13
On 3/30/2013 11:32 AM, BEI Design wrote:
> Exposed zippers are used as "design elements" on way more
> places beside the back. A few Project Runway designers seem
> to think big bulky brass-teeth zippers are lovely on formal
> gowns.:-(
>
> How's this for butt-ugly:
> http://www.zappos.com/calvin-klein-plus-size-shift-dress-w-zippers-cobalt?ef_id=UVSe4gAABWn2zj0a:20130330182211:s

Good for women who are nursing, I think. *Remembering the struggles
with clothes not so designed.*
For a colostomy bag?
Not something you'd want to wear in a crowded elevator or on the subway,
with that handy handle at the top.

> Simplicty very kindly shows one how to do it:
> http://www.simplicity.com/t-sewing-videos-exposed-zipper.aspx
>
> Gah!
>
> HTH ;->
>
> Beverly

Ursula Schrader

Apr 1, 2013, 3:41:19 AM4/1/13

"Pogonip" <nob...@nowhere.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On 3/30/2013 11:32 AM, BEI Design wrote:
>> Exposed zippers are used as "design elements" on way more
>> places beside the back. A few Project Runway designers seem
>> to think big bulky brass-teeth zippers are lovely on formal
>> gowns.:-(
>>
>> How's this for butt-ugly:
>> http://www.zappos.com/calvin-klein-plus-size-shift-dress-w-zippers-cobalt?ef_id=UVSe4gAABWn2zj0a:20130330182211:s
>>
> Good for women who are nursing, I think. *Remembering the struggles with
> clothes not so designed.*

Hah! If only it were that! As far as I can judge from the picture, the zips
don't even open. At least it's good for ruining the garment/accessory you
wear on top of it.
Nice thought! ;->

>> And here we go, $197 for an ill-fitting exposed zipper
>> dress:
>> http://store-us.hugoboss.com/%E2%80%98Alwy%27-|-Cotton-Blend-Exposed-Back-Zip-Dress/hbna50233177,en_US,pd.html?SR=GOOGLEcse&wt_mc=us.cse.GOOGLE.product.Women.~Alwy%27%20|%20Cotton-Blend%20Exposed%20Back-Zip%20Dress&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=GOOGLE&gclid=CMWr65uJpbYCFeN_Qgod4S8AJA
>>

> Not something you'd want to wear in a crowded elevator or on the subway,
> with that handy handle at the top.

Pranksters of all nations, unite!

>> Simplicty very kindly shows one how to do it:
>> http://www.simplicity.com/t-sewing-videos-exposed-zipper.aspx
>>
>> Gah!
>>
>> HTH ;->

Yes, nice one: 'How to drill a hole in your head'.

U.

Ursula Schrader

Apr 1, 2013, 3:45:17 AM4/1/13

> On 3/30/2013 12:01 AM, Ursula Schrader wrote:
>> U. - <rocks comfy in her rocking chair on the front porch, shifting her
>> Missouri meerschaum from the left tooth gap to the right and scratching
>> the white stubbles on her chin> ;-)
>>
>> P.S.: This is also a test; my old newsreader is going out of business by
>> 03/31 and now I post via albasani.net. If you, perhaps, would be so kind
>> and let me know if I'm 'visible to you...
>
> *Settling into the other rocker* Here, have some moonshine. *Handing
> Ursula the jug.* Works for me. :-D

<large-swig-gulp-gulp-aaaaahhhhh> Thanks, feelin relief already! ;-)

U.

Pogonip

Apr 1, 2013, 5:54:16 AM4/1/13
I'm hoping the boys will be along with their banjos and guitars soon to
sing us a little song. I might even play the spoons. You want to play
the washboard? There's a basket of thimbles by your chair.

Ursula Schrader

Apr 2, 2013, 11:01:39 AM4/2/13

"Pogonip" <nob...@nowhere.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Uh, sorry no, got a thimble allergy; but I'm an expert comb blower. HTH ;-)

U.

Kate XXXXXX

Apr 3, 2013, 9:16:34 AM4/3/13
I've never had a problem with the properly done exposed zip. It can
look very good in the right place and on the correct garment. What I
hate is the 'slapped on the outside because I CBA to do it properly' look.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

CypSew

May 4, 2013, 6:11:26 PM5/4/13

"BEI Design" wrote in message news:kj7b14$3h7$1...@dont-email.me...
I also think this "new" trend is ugly and have no idea why anyone would want
something like that. As for the younger women liking them, I took a poll of
some of my grand daughters friends and all felt the same way as I do.
The poll was done in Memphis, TN, Orlando, FL and New Orleans, LA among
college students and some young teachers.
Enough said. Emily

CypSew

May 4, 2013, 6:12:37 PM5/4/13

Pogonip

May 5, 2013, 7:08:45 AM5/5/13
On 5/4/2013 3:11 PM, CypSew wrote:
> I also think this "new" trend is ugly and have no idea why anyone would
> want something like that. As for the younger women liking them, I took
> a poll of some of my grand daughters friends and all felt the same way
> as I do.
> The poll was done in Memphis, TN, Orlando, FL and New Orleans, LA among
> college students and some young teachers.
> Enough said. Emily

You polled people who might buy and wear garments. They polled
designers. That's why you got the results you got and they got theirs.
Guess which they'll follow.

basset d hound

May 5, 2013, 10:01:43 AM5/5/13
maybe the outside zipper shows that they are intelligent enough to zip
it up. I agree, looks ugly.

coooooool grandma

May 5, 2013, 11:32:55 AM5/5/13
Re: zipper

Well , for one,it's easier to sew in than a regular or fly zip...:-)

Ursula Schrader

May 7, 2013, 2:13:13 AM5/7/13

"coooooool grandma" <Audr...@webtv.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Re: zipper
>
> Well , for one,it's easier to sew in than a regular or fly zip...:-)

You mean, it's the new trend of 'sell less value for more money'? Agreed!

U.

cea

May 16, 2013, 6:49:24 PM5/16/13
On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 2:13:13 AM UTC-4, Ursula Schrader wrote:
> "coooooool grandma" <Audr...@webtv.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> > Re: zipper
>
> >-----------------------------------------
>
> > Well , for one,it's easier to sew in than a regular or fly zip...:-)
>
> >Could be fun, though, if you used other industrial bits and pieces as design elements. Like rusty washers or paper clips to trim pockets or hems. Maybe tons of safety pins to hold the sleeves onto the garment...
There's a reason my Gkids won'r let me sew for them.
Cea

BEI Design

May 16, 2013, 7:30:21 PM5/16/13
cea wrote:
>>> Could be fun, though, if you used other industrial bits
>>> and pieces as design elements. Like rusty washers or
>>> paper clips to trim pockets or hems. Maybe tons of
>>> safety pins to hold the sleeves onto the garment...
> There's a reason my Gkids won'r let me sew for them.
> Cea

Ya' THINK? ;->

Ursula Schrader

May 17, 2013, 1:39:43 AM5/17/13

"cea" <sewingb...@aol.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Now that you mention it: There's a woman in our neck of the woods who makes
fancy hats from industrial remnants. Packaging and other bizarre looking
stuff goes into her creations. A theatre even made a revue for them: (sorry,
article is in German but has at least some pictures)
http://www.ruhrnachrichten.de/lokales/dortmund/sueden/Hansa-Theater-Huete-spielen-in-neuer-Revue-eine-wichtige-Rolle;art2575,1911952
However, I don't think she makes the hats for every-day use.

U.

basset d hound

May 17, 2013, 8:34:27 AM5/17/13
google Chrome gives option to translate page. thanks for the link.

Ursula Schrader

May 20, 2013, 4:58:19 AM5/20/13

"basset d hound" <bas...@hound.eu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Glad to be of service and - perhaps - provide a little inspiration.

U.