Adult Bibs

Peggy

Feb 29, 2004, 3:47:48 PM2/29/04
Does anyone know of a site where I could print out a pattern for an adult
bib?

Peggy

BEI Design

Feb 29, 2004, 4:16:33 PM2/29/04
Peggy wrote:
> Does anyone know of a site where I could print out a pattern for an
> adult bib?

Peggy, sorry I can't help with a pattern, but may I make a suggestion?
Having taken care of several elderly relatives in my home as they
became increasingly frail, I found using the term "apron" instead of
"bib" was far less demeaning. Almost no one objects to wearing an
'apron', but only babies consent to wearing 'bibs'.

You might think about using apron patterns.

HTH,

--
Beverly
---to reply, delete no spam and .invalid---

kalanamak

Feb 29, 2004, 2:13:52 PM2/29/04

My place of employment uses terry towels that are tapered and tuck into
the neck of the shirt, cascading down the front and widening out to
cover the lap. They use white and give them the old industrial wash and
they look clean every time. Staff takes a clean corner and wipes hands
and face, rolls them up and into the laundry basket. Patients don't
complain, but these are people both elderly and psychotic.
blacksalt

Peggy

Feb 29, 2004, 8:36:27 PM2/29/04
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking to make adult "bibs" that are more
fashionable and dignifying than white terry towels. The fabrics I purchased
are dark color plaids in flannel for the men and colorful florals for the
women, both with coordinating bias trim. When I displayed my children's
bibs at a craft show this Christmas, I had so many people ask me if I make
adult bibs (mostly for their elderly parents). I thought I would try to
have a supply on hand at the Easter show. Maybe I will just create a
pattern myself.

Peggy

http://www.babygardengifts.com
"BEI Design" <nobeide...@comcast.net.invalid> wrote in message

Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply

Feb 29, 2004, 9:25:56 PM2/29/04
Peggy wrote:

> Does anyone know of a site where I could print out a pattern for an adult
> bib?

Sounds like this is what you are looking for:

http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/html/ec_bibs.html

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

DaveS

Feb 29, 2004, 10:06:22 PM2/29/04
I am a mother of an adult son with special needs.
I use hand towels to make bibs/aprons(great wording)
I fold the towel in half (top to bottom) now you have two bibs/aprons.Serge
all around each towel half.
Then using a stretch terry material (cut the width of you towel and aprox
6-8 inches long) using a serger,attach to each towel half piece.
Aprox 2" from the top of your stretched terry piece,cut out a circular slip
over your head hole.
Because you are using a stretch terry,you do not need to cut the circular
hole too large.
Re-enforce the slip over neckline with your stretch terry,making a double
fold bias like neckline.
No need for Velcro or ties and the best part is, the terry towels absorb the
liquids and when rinsed out after each meal
stains are next to non
"Peggy" <west...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Peggy

Feb 29, 2004, 10:45:59 PM2/29/04
Thanks for the site Melinda, that's exactly what I'm looking for!

http://www.babygardengifts.com

Kate Dicey

Mar 1, 2004, 8:48:06 AM3/1/04
Peggy wrote:

> Thanks for the advice. I'm looking to make adult "bibs" that are more
> fashionable and dignifying than white terry towels. The fabrics I purchased
> are dark color plaids in flannel for the men and colorful florals for the
> women, both with coordinating bias trim. When I displayed my children's
> bibs at a craft show this Christmas, I had so many people ask me if I make
> adult bibs (mostly for their elderly parents). I thought I would try to
> have a supply on hand at the Easter show. Maybe I will just create a
> pattern myself.
>
> Peggy

That sounds like an excellent idea: why not use the baby bib as a
pattern
source, and an old shirt pattern to give you a rough neck size guide.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

the other one

Mar 1, 2004, 4:22:17 PM3/1/04
"Peggy" <west...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<djy0c.405$JZ6....@news20.bellglobal.com>...

I made some several years ago. I had a lady who's mother had dementia
and wouldn't wear those bib things. Mama wanted to be pretty. I
added a skirt, mock collar, and decorated the front. She loved them.
They were easy, quick to make up, and washed well. Made them with
shirt fronts for the men, too. I could look up my patterns for you if
you like.

Gail

Olwynmary

Mar 1, 2004, 7:56:01 PM3/1/04
Except for those who are really severely disabled, whatever is wrong with using
good old fashioned 20" x 20" dinner napkins, with one corner tucked in the
neckline a la Hercule Poirot? They cover the chest completely, and can easily
be made from washable all cotton fabrics. (Restaurant ones are good).

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Peggy

Mar 2, 2004, 8:02:56 AM3/2/04
If you are someone who requires them three times per day, dinner napkins can
get costly. Bibs can be tossed in the washing machine and used over and
over.

Peggy

ry" <olwy...@aol.com> wrote in message

Kathleen

Mar 2, 2004, 8:36:00 AM3/2/04
Peggy wrote:
> If you are someone who requires them three times per day, dinner napkins can
> get costly. Bibs can be tossed in the washing machine and used over and
> over.

I think she meant *real* dinner napkins - the cloth kind that can be
tossed in the washing machine and used over and over. Although, having
volunteered with severely disabled adults, I can tell you that sometimes
a napkin tucked in at one corner doesn't provide enough coverage, and is
too easily dislodged.

Kathleen

Jenn Ridley

Mar 2, 2004, 8:36:52 AM3/2/04
"Peggy" <west...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>OlwynMary" <olwy...@aol.com> wrote:
>> Except for those who are really severely disabled, whatever is wrong with
>> using
>> good old fashioned 20" x 20" dinner napkins, with one corner tucked in the
>> neckline a la Hercule Poirot? They cover the chest completely, and can
>> easily be made from washable all cotton fabrics. (Restaurant ones are good).

>If you are someone who requires them three times per day, dinner napkins can
>get costly. Bibs can be tossed in the washing machine and used over and
>over.

Restaurant quality *cloth* dinner napkins are tossed in the washer and
used over and over, and are probably less expensive than a
purpose-built apron or bib.

jenn

--
Jenn Ridley
jri...@chartermi.net

Valkyrie

Mar 2, 2004, 2:29:57 PM3/2/04

"Peggy" <west...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Does anyone know of a site where I could print out a pattern for an adult
> bib?
>
> Peggy

The site Melinda put up was the same pattern I worked from when making some
of these. This was a thread awhile back but I'm not sure if it was this
newsgroup or not. I sort of fit this pattern on hand towels, I found a
bundle of 2 dozen at an outlet store for VERY cheap! I turned the bottom up
to make a cuff about 3 inches deep to catch what may roll instead of drip.
You can just flip this pocket inside out when washing to avoid "surprises".
I also made one for my son as a "commuter bib". He was van pooling at the
time and keeping the suit and tie tidy while scarfing breakfast on the way
to work was tricky. I gussied it up with some embroidery and a tie and the
first morning he took that out of his briefcase and put it on there was a
chorus of "where DID you get that?" It was a hit and I ended up making
quite a few that sold in his office. So if you have a "munching commuter" on
your gift list you might want to consider one of these as well.

Val

Olwynmary

Mar 2, 2004, 5:35:21 PM3/2/04
>Restaurant quality *cloth* dinner napkins are tossed in the washer and used
over and over, >

Those are what we use in our house, 3 x day, 5 or 6 days/wk. (Of course, we
are adults in this house, and moreover we were "brung up proper" and taught not
to eat messily, so the napkins are used purely to protect the clothing and are
rolled up in napkin rings to be reused several times before they need washing.)
On Sundays or when we have company, I get out the damask ones which have to be
ironed.

Teri in HN

Mar 8, 2004, 6:47:30 PM3/8/04
I work in my family's restaurant in the summer and several adult customers
made comments about wanting fancy bibs to prevent food stains on their good
clothes, so I made gold "lami" bibs and black velvet with pearl trim as gifts.
Another idea is to make them out of clear plastic so that they are less
noticable.
Hippie Chic Teri

Olwynmary

Mar 8, 2004, 11:08:09 PM3/8/04
> several adult customers made comments about wanting fancy bibs to prevent
food stains on their good clothes, so I made gold "lami" bibs and black velvet
with pearl trim as gifts.

Sigh......... I suppose it would be too much to ask for these dear people to
learn to eat like ladies and gentlemen. In my view, bibs belong only in the
nursery.

Peggy

Mar 9, 2004, 7:33:48 AM3/9/04
And what about the disabled and the elderly Olwyn Mary? Should they learn
to "eat like ladies and gentlemen" as well? Are you telling me that you
have never spilled or dropped anything on your clothing in your entire life?
I think not.

Peggy

--

"Olwynmary" <olwy...@aol.com> wrote in message

Olwynmary

Mar 9, 2004, 5:26:36 PM3/9/04
>And what about the disabled and the elderly Olwyn Mary? Should they learn to
"eat like ladies and gentlemen" as well? Are you telling me that you have
never spilled or dropped anything on your clothing in your entire life? I
think not.

No, what I said was that in most cases, a proper dinner napkin works just as
well. I use mine tucked into the neckline because I have a heavy bust, and if
a little drop of gravy accidentally falls from a fork it naturally lands on my
chest rather than in my lap.

Some severely handicapped people may have a problem, but as for elderly - don't
try to suggest bibs to my extremely proper 90 year old friend!!

SewStorm

Mar 9, 2004, 10:41:53 PM3/9/04
>Some severely handicapped people may have a problem, but as for elderly -
>don't
>try to suggest bibs to my extremely proper 90 year old friend!!

I have to say that I agree with Olwyn Mary on this one. Just because someone is
"elderly", it doesn't necessarily follow that they're incapable of feeding
themselves properly.We have quite a few octo- and nonogenerarian friends and
family members, and they generally don't slop that much more than the rest of
us do. In fact, at my FIL's 90th birthday party, the biggest mess was made by
someone 30 years younger than he! And I don't consider the 60s "elderly". That
would hit a bit too close to home, you see.

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Peggy

Mar 10, 2004, 8:23:42 AM3/10/04
I'm not talking about your average eldery person, I'm talking about nursing
home and chronic care residents.

"SewStorm" <sews...@aol.comspamless> wrote in message

Teri in HN

Mar 11, 2004, 10:22:57 PM3/11/04
>Sigh......... I suppose it would be too much to ask for these dear people to
>learn to eat like ladies and gentlemen.

If you only knew this crew! Putting on these bibs is akin to wearing a costume
and only serves to liven up the atmosphere, our resturant is located on the
point of a penisular only 10 miles from downtown Boston proper, with a strong
history of bootlegging and ocean fresh seafood. Kind of like some of the places
I've visited along the borders of New Orleans!
Hippie Chic Teri

Suze

Mar 8, 2013, 7:44:01 PM3/8/13
outonthetownbibs.com has bid patterns in several styles that you can download
and print.