Original NHL Hockey

John Draves

Feb 13, 1993, 3:41:51 PM2/13/93
What's the most penalty minutes anyone has ever accumulated with the original
version of the hockey game? The recrd for my friend & I is 413 minutes
for a 30 minute game (EDM vs DET). Anyone else able to approach this
level of thuggery?

st...@oceania.com

Feb 17, 1993, 7:36:43 PM2/17/93
John Draves writes

> What's the most penalty minutes anyone has ever accumulated with the
> original version of the hockey game? The recrd for my friend & I is 413
> minutes for a 30 minute game (EDM vs DET).

Horry sheet! 413 minutes? That's insane. Along these lines, I was
wondering if anyone else has recognized this: if you have more than two
people in the penalty box, that leaves you with three guys on the ice (not
including the goalie). When one of the penalties is up one of the two guys
returns and you then have four on the ice, one in the box. So far, so good.
However, I've noticed this happen before (haven't tested it thoroughly
because I don't like to camp my entire team out in the penalty box): if you
have three or more in the box, you're left with three on the ice. Fine, you
can never have fewer than three skaters on the ice at any one point in the
NHL. However, when the first of the penalty servers finishes his term, he
comes back out on the ice, even though there are still two or more in the
box. He should grab some pine (return to the bench), not hit the ice,
leaving you with three skaters until you only have one man in the box. I
believe this is how the NHL penalty structure works. Am I wrong? Which one
is correct? Help me out.

Thx,

Steve
--

Steve Dakin | Oceania Health Care Systems
st...@oceania.com (NeXT mail) | Palo Alto, CA (415) 322-0127

PATHIK SUNIL LALL

Feb 19, 1993, 2:16:52 AM2/19/93

a strange thing has happened more than once while i've played the
original hockey with a friend on two player. Sometimes when we would
have a penalty, one of us would be able to keep the puck while
being called to the the penalty box and the one with the puck would be
able to controll the player. Then if we would avoid the penalty box, we
could skate onto the scoreboard or anywhere on the screen and even climb
behind the score to serve the penalty. pretty wierd, huh? if anyone
else has done this please write about it!

-----------------------------peepee---------------------------------------------

John Draves

Feb 19, 1993, 4:43:08 PM2/19/93
Steve, you would not believe how difficult 413 is. It can be done, but
you have
to do it almost exclusively with a large # of fights. In that game we
had 41
fights in 30 minutes. Of course we pulled out all the stops to get a
fight going.
Hits after the whistle, going in offsides & knocking the net off the
post are a
few things we do. One move I have perfected is that I usually play the
winger
with my roommate. I've become very adept at drawing the fight right off
the
faceoff. You get your fight & no time goes off the clock. We've
raised goonery
to an art. BTW, the most fights in a game we've ever had is 44. We
unfortunately
only got 397 minutes in that one. Anyone else out there developed any
good
fight instigating techniques?

Jeffrey T Lewis

Feb 20, 1993, 4:12:50 PM2/20/93

>to an art. BTW, the most fights in a game we've ever had is 44. We
>unfortunately
>only got 397 minutes in that one. Anyone else out there developed any
>good
>fight instigating techniques?

There's always the trusty mosh pit-esque dive into the opponent's goal
celebration circle. It's a good goon strategy, not just for racking up penalty
minutes but getting good scorers off the ice. It's wierd watching players
try to counteract this strategy by sending Paul Coffey off-screen so he won't
get a 5-minute penalty for scoring.

As for total penalty minutes, a friend and I once broke 400 penalty minutes
in 30 minutes of hockey, but that was playing against each other with both
goaltenders pulled.

worre...@iscsvax.uni.edu

Feb 21, 1993, 1:24:13 PM2/21/93
Sure, my friends and I have skated all over the subscreen board. Once I
remember my friend pushing someone from the other team into the box, and he
stayed there, nullifying the penalty. Have you ever nailed someone while in
the subscreen and have throw of his pads to fight while you skate on by?

-JTB

PATHIK SUNIL LALL

Feb 21, 1993, 6:35:58 PM2/21/93

In article <1993Feb21.1...@iscsvax.uni.edu>,
worre...@iscsvax.uni.edu writes:

> Sure, my friends and I have skated all over the subscreen board. Once
> remember my friend pushing someone from the other team into the box,
> and he
> stayed there, nullifying the penalty. Have you ever nailed someone
> while in
> the subscreen and have throw of his pads to fight while you skate on
> by?
>
> -JTB

yeah plenty of times, quite funny to see. My friends and I would always
try to knock the shit out of each other on this screen. What fun!

bobb...@hotmail.com

Oct 29, 2014, 11:36:54 PM10/29/14
Me and brother play this game for the sole purpose of annihilation. Playing five minute periods, we accumulated 453 minutes with 24 fights. We select the Wales All-stars so we have the best players in the game and play scrubb teams to maim and destroy. In a game that went into overtime period we amassed a staggering 639 minutes (including 215 minutes in the five minute overtime period). In four periods of thug hockey we got into 35 fights.