Re: House Republicans move to strip security clearances from any official who said in 2020 that the release of Hunter Biden's emails had 'classic earmarks of a Russian information operation'

1 view

Secret Papers

Jun 23, 2023, 9:25:03 PM6/23/23
Bob Duncan <bob7d...@gmail.com> wrote in
news:sjsd36$ocn$1...@news.dns-netz.com:

> Clinton Smasher Trump wrote
>
>> Cut their pensions in half too. Make them pay for their own health
>> care.

GOPers moved to effectively strip clearances from ex-officials who
questioned Biden's emails.

The policy was included as part of a much-larger bill funding US defense.

A House Democrat called out the proposal and warned about the precedent it
would set.

House Republicans are moving to effectively strip security clearances from
any intelligence or defense official who signed on to an October 2020
statement that raised the question of whether the release of Hunter
Biden's emails was part of a Russian disinformation campaign.

As part of a much-larger bill funding US defense, Republicans on the House
Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense proposed prohibiting any funding to
grant, renew, or maintain a security clearance for any official who signed
the statement.

More than 50 former intelligence officials, including former CIA Directors
Mike Hayden, Leon Panetta, and John Brennan, signed the letter raising
questions about the then newly published New York Post story concerning
emails from Biden's laptop. Politico reported at the time that the letter
was provided to the publication by Nick Shapiro, a former top aide under
Brennan.

The letter did not propose any evidence of Russian action or even
explicitly suggest that Moscow was behind the story. Rather, the letter
said the circumstances surrounding its publication raised significant
doubt.

"We want to emphasize that we do not know if the emails, provided to the
New York Post by President Trump's personal Attorney Rudy Giuliani, are
genuine or not and that we do not have evidence of Russian involvement —
just that our experience makes us deeply suspicious that the Russian
government played a significant role in this case," they wrote in the
letter.

Twitter restricted sharing of the New York Post's article, an action that
has been widely criticized by its new owner, Elon Musk, and scores of
Republicans.

Years later, The Washington Post commissioned two security experts who
verified thousands of emails from the hard drive that contained copies of
Biden's emails, photos, and other messages and that was left at a Delaware
computer-repair store.

Rep. Betty McCollum, the top Democrat on the defense-related
appropriations panel, slammed Republicans for including the provision in
the bill.

"Is it the role of this committee to ban individuals from having security
clearances for signing their name to a letter — expressing their opinions
as ordained in the Constitution?" McCollum of Minnesota said in her
opening remarks. "Section 8150 does just that."

The inclusion of so-called policy riders in much-larger funding bills is
commonplace in Washington, especially bills funding US troops and the
Pentagon. While some of these policies become law, many are often stripped
out when the Democratic-led Senate passes its own legislation.

McCollum added that Republicans were setting a dangerous precedent if they
wanted to plow ahead with their proposal.

"If we want to take this committee down a road of punitive action, I have
plenty of members of the Trump administration who I think should never
hold security clearances again based on their actions surrounding January
6," she said.

Read the original article on Business Insider

Barbara
12 hours ago

It's high time that security clearances should be less available, and
should be discontinued for those no longer in need of them to carry out
their daily work. There are way too many of them floating around to be
used for nefarious reasons.

Dick
9 hours ago

Barbara, in a sense that is the way it is suppoed to work, You keep the
Clearance, what you lose is access to the information when you no longer
need that information! Clearance and a "NEED TO KNOW" are the keys.

https://news.yahoo.com/house-republicans-move-strip-security-
165602598.html