Censoring You to 'Protect' You

Michael Ejercito

May 25, 2017, 10:00:49 AM5/25/17
Censoring You to 'Protect' You
by Douglas Murray
May 25, 2017 at 5:00 am
https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/10394/censorship-portland-state-university

The editor of The Vanguard at Portland State University decided that it was
more important to cover up a story than to break it, more important to evade
truths than to expose them, and more important to treat students -- and the
wider world -- as children rather than thinking sentient adults able to make
up their own minds.

That students such as Andy Ngo exist is reason for considerable optimism. So
long as there are even a few people left who are willing to ask the
questions that need asking and willing to tell people about the answers they
hear -- however uncomfortable they may seem right now -- all cannot possibly
be lost.

Indeed, it is imaginable, that with examples such as this, students in
America could be reminded not only that truth will always triumph over lies,
but that the current trend of ignorance and censorship might one day soon
begin to be turned around.

In the culture-wars currently rocking US campuses, the enemies of free
speech have plenty of tools on their side. Many of these would appear to be
advantages. For instance the employment of violence, thuggery and
intimidation against those who disagree are generally effective ways to
prevent people hearing things you do not want them to hear. As are the
subtler but more regularly employed tactics for shutting people down, such a
"no-platforming" people or getting them disinvited after they have been
invited, should the speaker's views not accord 100% with those of their
would-be censors. As also noted in this space before, many of the people who
campaign to limit what American students can learn also have the short-term
advantage of being willing to lie without compunction and cover over facts
whenever they emerge.

The important point here, however, is that word "short-term". In the long
run, those who wish to cover over a contrary opinion, or even inconvenient
facts, are unlikely to succeed. Adults tend to be capable of more
discernment and initiative than the aspirant-nannies believe them to be, and
the effects will always tend to show. Take, for example, events in Portland,
Oregon, last month.

In April, a gathering took place at the Portland State University. The
occasion was billed as an interfaith panel and was given the title,
"Challenging Misperceptions." As this is an era when perceptions, as well as
misperceptions, of religion are perhaps unusually common, there might be
some sense in holding such a discussion, even in the knowledge that it is
likely to be hampered -- as interfaith get-togethers usually are -- by the
necessity of dwelling on things that do not matter and focussing attention
away from all things that do. Thus, by the end of an average interfaith
event, it can generally be agreed upon that there are certain dietary laws
that certain religions have in common, some agreement on the existence of
historical figures and an insistence that religion is the answer to most
problems of our world. Fortunately, at Portland, there were some people in
the audience who appear to have been happy to avoid this sort of
boilerplate.

A young woman raised her hand and asked the Muslim student on the panel
about a specific verse in the Koran which would appear to approve killing
non-Muslims (Possible verses might have included Qur'an: 8:12; 22:19-22;
2:191-193; 9.5; 9:29). The Muslim student replied:

"I can confidently tell you, when the Koran says an innocent life, it means
an innocent life, regardless of the faith, the race, like, whatever you can
think about as a characteristic."

This had the potential to develop into an interesting, or at the very least,
an interestingly evasive answer. And so a young student there, named Andy
Ngo, who also worked for the university's student newspaper, The Vanguard,
got out his phone and began recording. The Muslim student on the panel went
on to say:

"And some, this, that you're referring to, killing non-Muslims, that [to be
a non-believer] is only considered a crime when the country's law, the
country is based on Koranic law – that means there is no other law than the
Koran. In that case, you're given the liberty to leave the country, you can
go in a different country, I'm not gonna sugarcoat it. So you can go in a
different country, but in a Muslim country, in a country based on the
Koranic laws, disbelieving, or being an infidel, is not allowed so you will
be given the choice [to leave]."

All of this is an admirably more complete answer than tends to be given at
such affairs. All of this is also theologically strong. Speaking about the
attitudes of the Islamic faith towards apostasy a few years ago, no less an
authority than Yusuf al-Qaradawi said that if Muslims had got rid of the
punishments for apostasy, "Islam would not exist today". It is a striking
admission, and one which would appear to suggest an awareness that the
religion's innate appeal is not as great as is often alleged.

The young reporter who captured this segment of video proceeded to share it
on his Twitter account. This is the sort of thing journalists often do if
they are at a public event and someone says something of interest. The
alternatives (that journalists hope never to attend anything interesting, or
attend events that are interesting but choose to keep their discoveries
private) are not models for success in the profession.

In the days immediately following the event, a couple of websites picked up
the story. Shortly afterwards, Andy Ngo was called in for a meeting at his
student newspaper and told by the editor-in-chief that his behaviour was
"predatory" and "reckless" and that he had put the life of the Muslim
student and that student's family at risk. So far as anyone knows, nothing
has happened to either the Muslim student or his family. Despite much
flame-fanning by "Defenders of Minorities", America does not seem to be in
the middle of a lynching season for religious minorities, even though these
moralists often appear to wish it otherwise. Nevertheless, "health and
safety" and "minimising harm" are, as Mark Steyn has observed, the new "shut
up". Where once someone would invite you just to "shut up", today they can
appeal to the possibility that a non-existent lynch-mob might show up to
murder anyone whose cause the censor of the day happens to be trying to
protect.

At any rate, while the Muslim student and his family are, of course, fine,
the young journalist who reported his words was fired. The editor of The
Vanguard at Portland State University decided that it was more important to
cover up a story than to break it, more important to evade truths than to
expose them, and more important to treat Portland students -- and the wider
world -- as children rather than thinking adults able to make up their own
minds.

The account of The Vanguard is a typical display of student cowardice and
American academic dishonour. The report, nevertheless, should also stand as
a demonstration of American hope. That students such as Andy Ngo exist is
reason for considerable optimism. So long as there are even a few people
left who are willing to ask the questions that need asking and willing to
tell people about the answers they hear -- however uncomfortable they may
seem right now -- all cannot possibly be lost. Indeed, it is imaginable,
that with examples such as his, students in America could be reminded not
only that truth will always triumph over lies, but that the current trend of
ignorance and censorship might one day soon begin to be turned around.

Portland, Oregon. (Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)
Douglas Murray, British author, commentator and public affairs analyst, is
based in London, England.

Follow Douglas Murray on Twitter

May 25, 2017, 4:43:48 PM5/25/17
On Thu, 25 May 2017 07:05:00 -0700, "NOT Michael Ejercito"
<meje...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Censoring You to 'Protect' You
>by Douglas Murray
>May 25, 2017 at 5:00 am
>https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/10394/censorship-portland-state-university
>

>The editor of The Vanguard at Portland State University decided that it was
>more important to cover up a story than to break it, more important to evade
>truths than to expose them, and more important to treat students -- and the
>wider world -- as children rather than thinking sentient adults able to make
>up their own minds.
>
>That students such as Andy Ngo exist is reason for considerable optimism.

Sounds like a gook, gook.

Cheers!

RJ (preferred jew aliash)

Sick old pedo Andrew Andrzej Baron

May 26, 2017, 5:25:29 AM5/26/17

Leading US neo-Nazi jailed for child porn possession
Kevin Alfred Strom (born 1956 in Anchorage, Alaska) is the former
Managing Director of National Vanguard, a Charlottesville-based
organization that has been described as a racist, white separatist,
homophobic, and a Neo-Nazi hate group by the Southern Poverty Law
Center and the Anti-Defamation League.[1][2] Strom resigned from
National Vanguard in July 2006.[3] National Vanguard reportedly
disbanded on March 14, 2007, and its website has been dormant since
that time. In 2008 Strom pleaded guilty to possession of ten images
of child pornography and was sentenced to 23 months in prison.[4]
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Alfred_Strom

jew pedophile Baruch 'Barry' Shein

May 26, 2017, 1:20:45 PM5/26/17
On 5/25/2017 1:43 PM, jew pedophile Ron Jacobson (jew pedophile Baruch
It, IS preferred jew aliash Ron!

BZS

May 26, 2017, 2:48:26 PM5/26/17
You can, ALWAYS tell jew pedophile Baruch 'Barry' Shein!

Sick old pedo Andrew Andrzej Baron

May 27, 2017, 8:31:24 AM5/27/17

Sick old pedo Andrew Andrzej Baron

May 27, 2017, 8:47:23 AM5/27/17

neo-Nazi murders wife and infant son

The apartment of the man accused of killing his infant son and
girlfriend last week was filled with Nazi memorabilia
More in

http://www.constantinereport.com/parrishs-cult-nazi-obsession-filled-home/

Michael Ejercito

May 29, 2017, 12:38:01 PM5/29/17

aliash)" wrote in message
Mangina, that is beside the point.

Michael

May 29, 2017, 4:37:39 PM5/29/17
On Mon, 29 May 2017 09:42:16 -0700, "NOT Michael Ejercito"
<meje...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"jew pedophile Ron Jacobson (jew pedophile Baruch 'Barry' Shein's jew
>aliash)" wrote in message
>
>>On Thu, 25 May 2017 07:05:00 -0700, "NOT Michael Ejercito"
>><meje...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>Censoring You to 'Protect' You
>>>by Douglas Murray
>>>May 25, 2017 at 5:00 am
>>>https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/10394/censorship-portland-state-university
>>>

>>>The editor of The Vanguard at Portland State University decided that it
>>>was
>>>more important to cover up a story than to break it, more important to
>>>evade
>>>truths than to expose them, and more important to treat students -- and
>>>the
>>>wider world -- as children rather than thinking sentient adults able to
>>>make
>>>up their own minds.
>>>
>>>That students such as Andy Ngo exist is reason for considerable optimism.
>
>>Sounds like a gook, gook.
> Mangina, that is beside the point.
>

>Michael

Dreckgook, it IS the point.

Michael Ejercito

May 29, 2017, 9:40:42 PM5/29/17

aliash)" wrote in message
Nithing, Ngos' ethnic descent has nothing to do with the thesis of the
article, which criticizes the malfeasance of the newspaper.

Michael

May 30, 2017, 9:58:51 AM5/30/17
On Mon, 29 May 2017 18:44:58 -0700, "NOT Michael Ejercito"
Dreckgook, Ngo's gook descent has EVERY thing to do with the thesis of
the article.

Sick old pedo Andrew Andrzej Baron

May 31, 2017, 8:03:20 AM5/31/17

A shiteating cowardly nazoid sub-louse PEDO named Andrew "Andrzej"
Baron (aka "Exorcist Missile") wrote:

> Cheers!

Just raped another two year old, sick filth?

Michael Ejercito

Jun 3, 2017, 12:21:04 PM6/3/17

"The Peeler" wrote in message

>On Tue, 30 May 2017 06:58:46 -0700, serbian bitch Razovic, the resident
>psychopath of sci and scj and Usenet's famous sexual cripple, making an ass
>of herself as "jew pedophile Ron Jacobson (jew pedophile Baruch 'Barry'
>Shein's jew aliash)", farted again:

>>> Nithing, Ngos' ethnic descent has nothing to do with the thesis of the
>>>article, which criticizes the malfeasance of the newspaper.
>>>

>>>Michael
>>
>> Dreckgook, Ngo's gook descent has EVERY thing to do with the thesis of
>> the article.
And yet he failed to elaborate.

>Psychotic NONSENSE!

Yup.

Michael

Jun 4, 2017, 1:46:45 PM6/4/17
On Sat, 3 Jun 2017 09:25:21 -0700, "NOT Michael Ejercito"
<meje...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"The Foreskin Peeler" wrote in message

[FLUHS Grik skata]

> And yet he failed to elaborate.

YOU do the elaborating when WHITE people demand it, dreckgook!

Cheers!

RJ (preferred jew aliash)

---