Does PGP have an alternative to OpenSSL

User

Dec 20, 2023, 5:40:17 PM12/20/23
Let's just be honest it's in everything.

David E. Ross

Dec 20, 2023, 7:35:34 PM12/20/23
On 12/20/2023 2:40 PM, User wrote:
> Let's just be honest it's in everything.

OpenSSL is an open-source implementation of SSL and TSL. It establishes
an encrypted link between elements -- usually servers and clients --
over the Internet. The encrypted link persists until the connection
between elements is terminated.

OpenPGP (commonly called merely PGP, which in turn is the trademarked
implementation of the OpenPGP protocol) is a method of encrypting files,
where "files" can include message packets and folders containing
multiple files. PGP operates on a file and then terminates. It is NOT
persistent, and it does not provide an encrypted link.

I get an SSL link when I logon to my bank account. I do not see the
encryption other than the color of the address field of my browser. I
use PGP to encrypt my backup files for storage on a removable hard
drive; I also use it to encrypt files on my PC, including lists of
critical passwords and financial account numbers.

I use "PGP" above in place of "OpenPGP" because my PC uses the actual
PGP product distributed by the PGP Corporation.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rosde.com/>

Paris mayor quits X platform, calling it a 'gigantic global sewer'.
Others characterize X (previously known as Twitter) as the place
where truth goes to die.