And Now for something completely different!!!

ABLE1

Nov 1, 2022, 2:45:35 PM11/1/22
Hey guys!!

I am having challenge and thought I would reach out to
get some quality input!!

I am in need of a small programmable keypad that would have
a single N/C relay contact that is Weather resistant.

That is Battery Operated.

I know! I know!! The Battery Operated part is the tough part.

But............... maybe someone could give a hint of who
might make something close.

Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Les

Bob La Londe

Nov 1, 2022, 3:18:43 PM11/1/22
IEI used to have some decent weatheproof keypads that are 12V, but like
you said... battery. I can see why you might not be able to share more
of the application, but an idea of estimated usage, idle current, active
current, any secondary current, cycle frequency... might give you some
quidelines as to whether you could get away with something like a gell
in a box. Or a gell in a box with a solar charger.

I once ran an entire alarm panel with cellular off a 60 watt panel using
a small rack of gells and an inverter. Several of them actually in
unpowered model homes. Of course I have the privilege of living in a
place where a restaurant once advertised free meals any day the sun
doesn't shine. They paid off once, but technically they didn't have to.
The sun broke through just before sunset.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

ABLE1

Nov 1, 2022, 4:02:26 PM11/1/22
Hi Bob,

This is for a AirB&B to give access to the building. There is no
available power source. And in trying to get wire there would need
at least 2 Quarter Sticks of Dynamite. The usage would be maybe
four time a day when occupied. A GelCell would work but then the box
would need to be of an undesirable size. I was thinking if there was
a keypad maybe a 2x4 box with a 3 Volt Lithium would last maybe
6 months could do the job.

There are a lot of factors to make this work. But, if only someone
would have said 2 years ago to plan for a AirB&B for this unit life
would be so MUCH easier. For now the plan is to use a key in a lock
box on the door knob.

I had looked at IEI Linear before but there does not seem to be one
that fits the bill.

Thanks for the almost hint!!

Les

Bob La Londe

Nov 1, 2022, 4:12:00 PM11/1/22
How about a regular digital entry lock. You can buy one at Home Depot
or Amazon. Maybe WalMart and certainly eBay. I bet even ADI has one.
Tri-Ed might have one, but they would send you something else, say it
was your fault, and then refuse to sell to you again if you complain.

Funny. I just saw Anixter owns Tri-Ed now. I wonder if they are upto
Anixter service levels now, or if Tri-Ed dragged Anixter down to their
level. I used to buy some government spec data products from Anixter.

ABLE1

Nov 1, 2022, 9:06:33 PM11/1/22
Yes, one of those digital entry locks would work if it wasn't for the
new panic hardware installed on the door. Well maybe, I am not going
to get involved with trying to find something that will match up
properly. I actually have a Aiphone Apartment access GT series that is
connected to a door strike. The problem is that when I wired it there
was no pathway for pulling additional wires. So the 24vdc digital
wire that does all the power and communication for the call stations
can't be used to power anything else.

My thinking is that if I had a battery operated keypad w/ relay I could
connect in parallel to the Aiphone relay to the strike.

Maybe I need to figure out a way to get a clean 12vdc wire to the
keypad. It is finding a good 120vac source that can be used for a
easily/properly 12vdc wall wart installed.

I need to spend more time on site to think this out.

Later,

Les

Jim Davis

Nov 2, 2022, 9:06:41 PM11/2/22
Just saying but wont any kind of out door accessory keypad expose the building to unauthorized entry to anyone with just a little bit of knowledge about relays etc ?

Don't you think?

You'd need a secure box to mount it on and rugged mounting for the box and security screws on the keypad, metal pipe or otherwise protected wires to solar or other power protected too. $ $ $

Sounds like a source of "worms" to me.

ABLE1

Nov 2, 2022, 9:42:04 PM11/2/22
I know Jim!! But, the customer wants something. There are challenges
and pit falls. I plan on doing a lot of extra design and planning.

The door just get you inside the apartment building hallway.

If someone wanted to be stupid they could just press one of the
apartment call buttons and then tell a story to convince the apartment
dweller to press the lock button on the tenant station.

Yes, conduit, rugged mounting, security screws!!!

Thanks for the input and have a better day!!

Les

Bob La Londe

Nov 3, 2022, 3:29:25 PM11/3/22
No. A keypad tied to an access control system that sends Weigand or
other data to instruct the control to operate a relay located inside the
access controller rather than outside at the door will not expose the
site to such a simple attack. However, admittedly this does not sound
like what Able1 is talking about.

Bob La Londe

Nov 3, 2022, 3:30:20 PM11/3/22
... or press all the buttons and wait for somebody to buzz them in
without even hearing who it is.

ABLE1

Nov 3, 2022, 4:26:03 PM11/3/22
Well the problem has been solved...........

......................to a point until I get it done!!!

At the Rear Door I will need to run outside conduit from a box that will
have 120vac receptacle with the needed power supply to provide 24vdc to
the Exterior Call Box. This will feed the Aiphone GT-NSB Display Module
and GT-10K Keypad properly.

As for the Front Door I will need to tear out the "NEW" baseboard
molding to expose access to the basement as well as a portion of the
"NEW" wallboard to pull a new wire through from the Exterior Call Box
down to the basement panel to the needed power supply. Then somebody
will have to make Beautifarkel repairs & painting to the big hole.

The typing above was rather simple!! Doing it will NOT BE as simple!!

It is what the customer wants so, I will do my best to accommodate. ;-)

And they will monetarily compensate me!!!!

Les

Jim Davis

Nov 3, 2022, 10:39:40 PM11/3/22
Yeah - - - sure.
That's what " I " always say too.

RTS

Nov 4, 2022, 12:33:48 PM11/4/22
just did a quick search and came up with this..

https://ghostcontrols.com/products/axwk

Never heard of them but might work for what your thinking...
not sure about the receiver though...
RTS
--

*Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.*

ABLE1

Nov 4, 2022, 7:21:04 PM11/4/22
Thanks Rocky,

That would be great for the previous thoughts if it had a relay.
However, it has a wireless transmitter and the receiver is quite
large. It is designed for a gate control system.

I started the conduit run today for the rear door. Actually
went very well. Waiting for the exterior box to install the
120vac receptacle and 24vdc. Next week will start on the
front door. The on site contractor is going to rip the wall
apart to get access for wiring to the basement.

Have a good weekend.

Les