DSS-670 Help Please

Andrew Washburn

Jan 24, 2024, 7:55:16 PMJan 24
After 30 years of reliable operation, the keypad connected to our DSS-670 suddenly started flashing one or more lights and beeping randomly. All the keypad lights dimmed. I had to remove power to stop the beeping and flashing.
I replaced the power supply and the battery. I checked that all the buss screws were tight, but after four days. It did it again.
I rechecked everything, but again after four days, it did it again.
Any suggestions?

Bob La Londe

Jan 24, 2024, 8:13:01 PMJan 24
Four days. Sounds about right. Check the output voltage on the battery
leads. Then check your fuses.

I think that's an old Brinks made by Scantronics. (Well something like
that comes to mind, but I never worked on those antiques.) Programmer
needed for anything else most likely. The one guy who used to provide
that kind of support is out of the business. Sold all his stuff that
was left a number of years ago. Last I heard he was planning to
manufacture plastic shredding machines.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Andrew Washburn

Jan 24, 2024, 8:27:41 PMJan 24
Thanks for the quick reply.
I will do as you suggest.
I understand that there's not much chance I can save it.
I'm probably looking at a new system.
In your opinion, am I better off 1) replacing the control box with a new, better box and keeping the wired system, or 2) starting over with a wireless system? I'm not a security system expert, just a reasonably capable homeowner.
Andy.

Bob La Londe

Jan 24, 2024, 8:38:23 PMJan 24
If there is nothing wrong with your devices and wiring keep your wired
loops. I always preferred wired zones, but many companies preferred
wireless because it requires much less skill and labor to install.

Andrew Washburn

Jan 24, 2024, 9:44:58 PMJan 24
That makes sense.
Thanks.

RTS

Jan 25, 2024, 1:00:06 AMJan 25
If you do opt for the wired replacement..
make note of the resistance on each zone loop input..
(that will have to match, whatever new control you install.
and if the resistors are in the box, it's easy to exchange.)
Another item to check is the amount of load on the output circuit.
(Many of the new panels are severely limited compared to older panels..)
RTS
--

*Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.*

ABLE1

Jan 25, 2024, 10:04:01 AMJan 25
All the input & suggestions has been "spot on" to help this guy.
I will add one more bit of assistance!!
When you look for a "hardwired" Panel find one that has a
add-on wireless receiver that can be used for a variety of
other STUFF you don't even know about!!

Such as the DSC equipment. https://www.dsc.com

Good Luck!!

Les

And yes guys, I am still here..................!! ;-)

Andrew Washburn

Jan 25, 2024, 12:14:52 PMJan 25
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and cautions.
So far, I've looked at a replacement board from Konnected.com.
Any comments?
I'll look at DCS next.
Thanks for your guidance and encouragement.
Andy.

Andrew Washburn

Jan 25, 2024, 2:47:51 PMJan 25
*** Oops. My mistake. It's Konnected.io, not Konnected.com ***

ABLE1

Jan 25, 2024, 3:33:32 PMJan 25
Hi Andrew,

Personally I have not clue. Outside my brain capabilities at this date!!

However, a quick search on YouTube will pop up more than you can handle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-C-F56lHQA

Again, good luck!!

Les

ABLE1

Jan 25, 2024, 3:47:32 PMJan 25
Also please note that the guy has a date on the battery of Oct/03.
That means that when he recorded the video 2 years ago his battery
was already dead for maybe about 14 years.

Does make one' Wonder!!!!!

Andrew Washburn

Jan 25, 2024, 3:50:43 PMJan 25
Good catch!