The most ancient Craig clan

DebLCraig

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96
I am looking for other Craigs with whom I can exchange family geneologies.
Our clan has formed here in the States as the Craig Family Association.
Information on joining is in the Highlander Magazine or contact me and I
will be glad to forward it to you. I would like to know if anyone has any
information on the location within Scotland from whence our family came.
Please contact me from whatever country in which you find yourself.

Debbie Craig

Jeffrey R. Craig

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
Hi Debbie:
Please send me any and all info about joining the Craig Family
Association. I am active in tracing my genealogy and am a drummer in
a bagpipe band.

From what I have read, the use of Craig as a surname probably
developed locally in several places in Scotland as a way to describe
where that person was from. This is because Craig (or crag) means
"rocky place" in Scottish Gaelic. Anyone from this type of area, may
have come to be known as Craig; for example, John of Craig or Robert
del Cragge or Debbie from Craig Peak.

I am sure this is not new information for you. There does not seem
to be one place we can pinpoint as the origin of the Craig's.
Supposedely, by the 15th century, there were several Craigs' who
became established in the Edinburgh district. In fact, a clan map
shows the Craig name just south of Edinburgh. But since Craig is a
sept of the Gordon clan who can be found throughout the Highlands,
Craig's most certainly came from many different locations
concurrently and independently.

Michael O Craig

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96

I received the following summary of the Craig Clan from Michael A. Craig,
the current president of the Craig Clan Association:

(BTW if you are interested in joining the Clan Craig Association, you
need to write to the following address:
Michael A. Craig
Clan Craig Association
540-C N.E. Northgate Way
Suite 531
Seattle, WA 98125
Hope this helps!)

"Craig Clan Family History:

The surname of Craig is one of great antiquity. It originated in
the area of the Picts, the northern portion of Scotland.
The Picts are considered to be the most ancient of the founding
races of Scotland. Bade, a respected historian, estimated that they came
to Sctoland some fifteen centuried B.C. Thus, they were in the land
centuries before the Angles, Britons, and Scots.
The social practice which the Picts followed was a formation of
family groups very similar to that followed by the Scots, which were
called Clans. Thus, the Craig Clan is considered to be one of the oldest
of clans in Scotland. The oldest Cheif of Clan Craig that the present
writer is able to research is William Craig of Craigfintray, Co. Aberdeen,
who would have been bron sometime in the latter half of the fifteenth
century. Next in succession came Alexander Craig of Craigfintray; next
came William Craig of Craigfintray, afterwrds Craigston, C. Aberdeen;
next was Sir Thomas Craig, b. 1538, d. 1608; married Helen Heriot.
Thomas' son, Sir James Craig of Craig Castle and Craigston of Co.
Aberdeen, became one of the Scottish understakers of the Ulster
Plantation (N. Ireland) in 1610. It has been determined that if a
person's Craig forefathers came to America from N. Ireland, there is a
good chance that he was a descendent of this James. This would be
especially true if he or she emigrated before the Revolutionary War and a
few years thereafter.
The last known Craig Cheif was Thomas Craig of Riccarton who died
March 13, 1823. He left no known male heirs.
The Craig Coat of Arms needs three ingredients to constitute it:
metal, colors and fur, all signifying something. The Craig Coat of ARms
is comprised of silver (or the color white) which signifies serenity and
nobility; the fur, ermine, depicts dignity and nobility; and the black
band (depicted by crossed lines) across the middle represents repentance
or vengeance.
The Craig crest, a horseman carrying a broken lance, is
representative of a group of 'broken men' who were from other clans and
had sought and were granted the protection of the clan.
The Craig tartan, of which there are two, developed from two
different sources. One as the result of the Earl of Mar allowing the
Craigs to add the color red to his own black and white tartan. The other
came about as a request to the Earl of Riccarton and was formulated from
the colors of rocks, (Crag) from which the name Craig originated, hence
the colors gray, green, black, yellow, and orange on the tartan."

This information is provided by the Clan Craig Association.

duffh...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2017, 10:18:06 AM2/2/17
hi debbie,my name is craig woosley and i would like if you would send me the any info on craig geneology.my craig family is in kentucky and ive traced them back to my gg grandfather john jesse craig sr. 1827-unknown. his father was victor craig but theres no info on him.is there dna on the craigs that trace back to the beginning of us. i have taken the ancestry and family tree dna test. would i have to take another dna test because my craig side is thru my mother.one last questien why hasnt there been a gathering of craig clan to elect a new chief.thank you in advance for your help.i will be looking forward to getting your email
Message has been deleted

jcrai...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2018, 11:17:57 PM11/14/18
Hello Debbie. My name is Joel. My fifth great grandfather was John Robert Craig (married to Jane Ford) and they came to Chester County, South Carolina in 1823 on the Brig Finchett from Belfast, Northern Ireland.

Regards,
Joel Craig

melodye...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2018, 2:34:58 PM11/20/18
Hi,my name is melody edington. But,this was my mothers last name. My father was Paul craig. Some of his family is in Lawrenceburg, indiana. My 2 brothers and sisters,i never met. Are in wisconsin. Now,i have lots of information of us. I did get to met my uncle bob craig and family. My dad died before i met him. I have spoke to one brother,natan craig. I, was told,every oct,they met in Scotland. I wish i had the money. Sisters are troy mae,eltha and brothers paul and Nathaniel craig. I have another half sister,that has past Sheila czger. I,want to met my family,so bad. My dads side,is scottland. My moms is irish,CHEREKE, english. I have been watching Outlanders on starz. It brings so much history. I live in sc in usa,rgt now. I am 61,4/28/57. I had 3 children. One son past in 2011. I have pictures of cemetary family members and articles. My name is melody Edington/ craig. I was a owen,howard,my moms married name Ruth. Shuler,from my kids. 2 owens and one Shuler. I can give my cell. I am on facebook and instant gram. This is exciting. I have felt half. I need my other half. I am going to change my last name to craig soon.

reed....@thetruckpeople.com

Dec 16, 2019, 1:04:05 PM12/16/19
We are Clan Craig in Camden and Greenville! I currently reside in Columbia SC. Very cool to know that there are a few of us in SC.

Slainte mhath!

Reed