Walkinshaw - Newbattle - Midlothian

Neil Daniels

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

I posted this to the UK-Ireland newsgroup but it didn't produce any
results...mustve been my deodorant.

Wow will my grandmother be happy!!
I believe she has finally stopped turning over in her grave now that I
have finally found some Scottish ancestry. As a youth growing up in
Canada I can recall Gramma talking about Tartans, Clans and Clansmen,
bagpipes and haggis, so much so that I was firmly convinced that I must
be a true Scot searching for a clan like Murray etc.. (middle name)

However, since starting this genealogy project last spring (now up to
2800 names) I’ve been finding French Royalty, German illiterates, Dutch
seafarers, English illegitimates and their all mine but not a Scot in
the bunch.
(I could hear the earth rumble - Grandma was kinda frisky) So you can
imagine the emotion (well almost tears) that I felt when I found the
name:

Helen Penman WALKINGSHAW in the IGI at the local FHC. The names are
too coincidental to ignore so I search for answers.

James WALKINGSHAW b: 13 Aug 1752 Newbattle, Mid-Lothian Co.,(Edinburgh)
Scotland m: Helen PENMAN b: 5 Aug 1763 Newbattle, Mid-Lothian Co.,
Scotland.
Five Children:
George Walkingshaw b:8 May 1787 Newbattle sp. Elizabeth Howie b:1787
Helen Walkingshaw b:22 Apr 1791 Newbattle. spouse unknown
Mungo Walkingshaw b:10 Feb 1793 Newbattle. spouse unknown
Maxwell Walkingshawb:19 Oct 1794 Newbattle spouse unknown
James Walkinshaw b: 27 Sep 1799 Newbattle, spouse unknown
The only other Maxwell Walkinshaw is a grandson of James via George,
son John and son Maxwell b: 14 Mar 1841 at Newton, Ayr Co..

My Great grandmother’s name as found in the family Buchner bible was:
Ellen Penman Walkinshaw b: 09 Dec 1832 and she Married Wm Buchner in
09/Dec/1852.
My Grandmother Putman attended to her burial and the Death Certificate
in
Elgin County, Ontario indicates that she died 07/sep/1908 and that her
parents were :

Maxwell Walkinshaw born in Scotland and Ellen (Elizabeth?) Ramsey born
in Scotland and that is all that is all I could find in the obit..

I could find no further reference in Passenger Lists....I have assumed
she left after the birth in 1832. This of course bring up another
question as to most popular route taken to Canada in 1830's and 1840's.

An 1861 census indicates that an M. Walkinshaw, (Scotland) age 66,
(ie B:1794/5) head of house married to Elizabeth Walkinshaw born in
Scotland age 62 ie b:1799 and a son Stewart born in Upper Canada
b:1845 i.e. age 16.
All of which jibes close to being No. 3 son Maxwell who gave his
daughter the name of Ellen Penman. Ellen Penman is not listed since she
would have been married and out of the house at the age of 29. My guess
is that they left Scotland after 1832 and prior to birth of Stewart in
1845. (didn't some kind of famine hit both Scotland and Ireland in that
period)
The other coincidence is that Ellen and William Buchner named their
first non-infant death son as Henry Maxwell b: Aug 27 1854.
If anyone has any info or suggested avenue please advise - make my
gramma proud... also is there a Walkingshaw/Walkenshaw/Walkinshaw clan
with tartan and all.

thanx for the help.
Neil M. Daniels
Santa Ana, California
pwr...@ix.netcom.com

--
Gadzooks! where are you all? I've been looking so hard!!!
Well at least half heartedly.....

|//////////
~ //
@ )

Daniels,Chas.A.1877; Buchner,Henry1733; Putnam,Harmon1840;
Ostrander,Andrew1797; Beaupre',Choiseul de1717;Lampman,Fred1719;
Dennis,MiltonL.1849; Montross,JanHarms1729; With exception
of the King of France and the Dutchman all last known addresses either
Canada/Niagara Peninsula or around Genesee Cty., N.Y.
pwr...@ix.netcom.com