Google Groepen ondersteunt geen nieuwe Usenet-berichten of -abonnementen meer. Historische content blijft zichtbaar.

Brooks clan information

456 weergaven
Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

Timothy Smith

ongelezen,
26 okt 2002, 14:30:5726-10-2002
aan
Greetings
I am looking for some help with the surname Brooks

My grandfather, prior to his death last year, had tracked his ancestry back
to a William Brooks who came from Edinburgh to Virginia in 1794.

I am trying to find out what sept and clan the surname Brooks is affiliated
with. I have tried several websites, but do not find Brooks listed as a
common Scot surname.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks
--
TC Smith

Anne Burgess

ongelezen,
26 okt 2002, 17:47:5926-10-2002
aan
> TC Smith

Brooks is listed, very briefly, in G F Black's "Surnames of Scotland". All
he says is that it is 'probably of recent introduction from England' though
there was a record of a Brook (without the 's') in Aberdeen in 1483.

Please don't get hung up on the idea that every Scot belongs to a clan, or
that every Scottish surname is linked to a clan. This is simply not true.
Most Scots, and most Scottish surnames, have no affiliation with any clan.
If you want to find out which clan you may be linked to, you need to trace
your own ancestry back until you find an ancestor who does have a clan
surname.

See www.genuki.org.uk for advice on how to go about this. Good luck!

Anne

Glenallan

ongelezen,
27 okt 2002, 19:25:5127-10-2002
aan

"Timothy Smith" <chom...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

I do not think Brooks is common in any part of Scotland.
I have checked the entry in 'The Surnames of Scotland"
It is very brief...

BROOK, Brooke
The first form recorded in Aberdeen.
Thomas Bruke was admitted a burgess there in 1483.
Local from residence by a brook.

I doubt if there will be any clan affiliation, however, on the bright side,
I am sure you will find that there are very few of this name in Scotland
at any time, so all you need is one good break and it is possible that
generations will easily fall into place.

Cheers

Allan Connochie

ongelezen,
28 okt 2002, 11:52:0928-10-2002
aan

"Glenallan" <rmb...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

> "Timothy Smith" <chom...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Greetings
> > I am looking for some help with the surname Brooks
> >
> > My grandfather, prior to his death last year, had tracked his ancestry
> back
> > to a William Brooks who came from Edinburgh to Virginia in 1794.
> >
> > I am trying to find out what sept and clan the surname Brooks is
> affiliated
> > with. I have tried several websites, but do not find Brooks listed as a
> > common Scot surname.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated
> >
> > thanks
> > --
> > TC Smith
>
> I do not think Brooks is common in any part of Scotland.
> I have checked the entry in 'The Surnames of Scotland"
> It is very brief...

Actually Brooks is not uncommon in the Kelso area. There are more people
with the name Brooks here as there are people with the name Brook/Brooke.
Professor Black is very vague concerning this name. He suggests that it may
be a recent introduction from England which shows basically that he doesn't
know really! Neither does he say what he means by 'recent'!

cheers

Allan

M1ZCH3ll3

ongelezen,
14 jun 2021, 23:03:1814-06-2021
aan
From what I have found on the internet about Brooks is that The Brooks clan are believed to have originated in Aberdeenshire in the 15th century. The clan still celebrate their connection to this area by wearing Aberdeen District tartan. Their Crest is a Beaver which looks like the clan badge from Beveridge with the word Persiverando. (Persevere) My local Scottish museum finds nothing about any Brooks Clan or any affiliation to any clan. If you wish to wear or display a tartan, Aberdeenshire district would do. Hope this helps!

jennie brooks

ongelezen,
12 nov 2022, 03:59:4012-11-2022
aan
The Brooks name is from sussax midevil times 14th hundred then they settled in Ireland and England my last name is Brooks my family ariginated in Ireland when they came by boat my family line is Ireland and black foot
0 nieuwe berichten