Clan McDill... any info,or contacts?

Grant McGill

Apr 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/17/97

I am from a family who, thankfully, changed thier surname from McDill
to McGill. does anyone know any history of the McDill?
I believe they were Scottish, but more likely Irish, with a name like
that they must be! :)!!
personal replies accepted, or to this group.
thanks
Grant.

Linda Clifford

Apr 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/20/97
to gmc...@acay.com.au

Hi Grant,

Interesting that your information shows a change from McDill to McGill.
Here's what I find:

"MacDill: One of the many old spellings of MacDowall, which has become a
fixed surname. John McDill and Michael McDill, followers of the earl of
Cassilis, were respited for murder, 1526. William M'Dill, son of Andrew
M'Dill, burgess of Perth, was charged with playing at the Butts in Perth
in time of preaching, 1589......"

And it goes on to list other proofs of McDills in public records.

Carrying this a step further, the MacDowall's are a sept of the Clan
MacDougall, which is the recommended tartan.

I just recently put up a page for a customer to view the MacDougall
tartan. If you want to take a look at it, see:

http://www.lindaclifford.com/MacDougall.html

On the Irish side:

"Dill: This English name was in Donegal in the first half of the 17th
century and is still found there."

But there is no Irish reference to McDill or MacDill

Cheers,

Linda
Linda Clifford - The Knockomie Collection
http://www.lindaclifford.com
Scottish Clan & Irish County Tartan Pillows & Throws
Handcrafted in Vermont

laz...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2015, 1:16:48 PM9/23/15
Hi Grant,

The McDills were/are a sept of the MacDougalls, and hailed from Ayrshire County, Scotland. Judging by the dates I've been able to resurrect, it appears that they were part of the "Planters" migration that was instituted by the Crown to "subdue" Ireland. They stayed in County Antrim until the bulk of them immigrated to Charleston, SC, in the 1770's when, once again, the Crown made living impossible for them. Interestingly enough, there are still McDills in Ayr and the surrounding area of Ayrshire County.

By the way, don't be so quick to dis the McDills/MacDills. They have distinguished themselves in every American military action from the Revolution through Vietnam, and MacDill AFB in Florida is named for my great uncle, Col. Leslie MacDill. In addition, McDills/MacDills contributed to the spiritual side of this country as well, establishing a Presbyterian church that was a mainstay of the Underground Railroad and a prominent Presbyterian theologian. ;-)

Leslie MacDill, USN, son of Col Wilfrid E. MacDill, USAF (deceased)

S Viemeister

Sep 23, 2015, 1:40:58 PM9/23/15
There's is no entity by the name of "Ayrshire County".
It's "Ayrshire", or the "County of Ayr".
County and shire mean roughly the same thing.

Also - the post which you are responding is from 1997...

laz...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2016, 1:46:19 PM2/4/16
I was merely trying to help. Splitting hairs really isn't necessary when you're trying to explain UK to US. And yes... I do know how to read dates. Turns out, I was contacted by one of the individuals and she was most appreciative. Ta.

Leslie MacDill

Aug 30, 2021, 6:00:18 PM8/30/21
On Thursday, April 17, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Grant McGill wrote:
> I am from a family who, thankfully, changed thier surname from McDill
> to McGill. does anyone know any history of the McDill?
> I believe they were Scottish, but more likely Irish, with a name like
> that they must be! :)!!
> personal replies accepted, or to this group.
> thanks
> Grant.
Hi, Grant. I'm descended from the McDills of Buckna, Ballymena Parish, County Antrim, Northern Ireland. Originally, we hailed from Ayrshire, Scotland, where there are still some McDills. However, quite a number of our family came to America in 1772 as Covenanters, who refused to accept that they should swear religious allegiance to the Crown. Our line migrated to Charleston, SC, while another line (Hugh McDill) came in through one of the major NE ports, probably Philadelphia. As for 'thankfully, your family changed their name'... MacDill AFB (which houses a major refueling wing, U.S. Central Command, and U.S. Special Operations Command), in Tampa, is named after Col. Leslie MacDill, a direct descendant of the McDills of Northern Ireland, and our family also founded one of the major stops on the Underground Railroad. I am incredibly proud of my family and our heritage. We fought the British in South Carolina during the Revolutionary war and my descendent had a horse shot out from under him in the process. Our family has served in every war between then and Vietnam (me), and Col. Leslie MacDill's headstone is located prominently in Arlington National Cemetary. Beware of hubris.