Re: Yamaha C3 Or Yamaha Vino 125?

Message has been deleted

Oct 15, 2007, 1:01:08 AM10/15/07
Del wrote:

> So whaddya think scooter experts? Guide me to the one that'll make
> this 65-year-old old guy grin again. Haven't had a good grin since my
> Suzuki Trail 80 disappeared eons ago and my Honda CB125S was sold.

I wouldn't use either of those two scooters for anything off-road, and
if you ask a dealer they might also say that they aren't designed for
going down those dirt backroads you are talking about (have you checked
out the tire sizes and the ground clearance?) but if you are irrevocably
considering only those two, I will tell you that a 4-stroke, 50-cc
engine with a 250-pound person on it will be a REAL dog. The 125-cc
scoot will be a tad sluggish but okay.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.

Bike guy Joe

Oct 15, 2007, 7:28:59 AM10/15/07
On Oct 15, 12:14 am, Del <del_stockd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a problem, (although buying a new scooter and having fun riding
> a scooter should never be called a "problem"), and that problem is
> choosing between the Yamaha C3 and the Yamaha Vino 125. Here are the
> criteria:
>
> 1--Price is irrelevant as money is not a problem. Besides the dealer
> I've been contacting will sellme the 2007 C3 for $1900 and the 2007
> Vino 125 for $2400 so what's 500 bucks?
>
> 2--I do not care to poke around any faster than 30-40 mph.
>
> 3--I weigh 250 lbs. (yikes!)--the eighth-ton-man. LOL
>
> 4--Most of the riding will be tooling along on dirt backroads (we live
> in the country) or on paved secondary roads. Very, very little city
> driving and no major highway driving involved.
>
> 5--I thought about the Zuma and/or the Vino Classic but have dismissed
> both of those and I am only focused on the two mentioned here.
>
> 6--I've looked at Hondas and the Chinese wonders but it still comes
> down to ONLY the C3 or the Vino 125. Go Yamaha!
>
> 7--I'm not really mechanical so I want the one that will require the
> least maintenance and/or repair. That doesn't mean I won't take care
> of it...just want the fewest problems possible.
>
> 8--I will be the only one ever riding the scooter. No passengers
> ever.
>
> 9--I am 6' 2" tall but mostly long-waisted (torso length instead of
> leg length). Inseam length is only 31" but I'm still a little
> concerned about being able to ride comfortably without having my knees
> in my face while riding and not having my legs feeling cramped on the
> "deck."

> So whaddya think scooter experts? Guide me to the one that'll make
> this 65-year-old old guy grin again. Haven't had a good grin since my
> Suzuki Trail 80 disappeared eons ago and my Honda CB125S was sold.
>
> -Del

Can you get to a Yamaha dealer and sit on both scooters? That's the
best way to check "how they feel".
I am 5'9" 210 lbs. and ride a Vino 50cc regularly on secondary, semi-
paved and dirt roads with no problems. 6000+ miles of it.

Look up some specs on both and compare weight capacities.

I like the C3's looks, but I would probably buy the Vino 125 if I were
you.

Message has been deleted

Oct 16, 2007, 8:11:38 PM10/16/07
Del wrote:

> <<<<<Actually, I think I put too much emphasis on the so-called "off
> road" scenario. The dirt roads I'm talking about are smooth, no
> gravel, no holes, etc. and not much different, and sometimes better,
> than secondary paved roads.

Yeah, that's a different story.

I can't remember what your price range was, but have you looked at the
Kymco Agility 125? $1999

http://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/scooters/agility125/index.html

If there is a dealer near you, this might be another good one to consider.

(I had never heard of Kymco before I came to this group. They used to
do manufacture work for Honda scooters before going on their own and
have a good reputation for quality.)

Roland

Oct 16, 2007, 10:30:27 PM10/16/07
Vino 125: max. load (per users manual)- 317 lbs.

I am 6'4" and ride very comfortably. Size 13 feet might be a problem.

I have never actually weighed myself all dressed up for riding but bare body
I weigh in at about
195 and can do about 50mph on the flat. (There are precious few flats
around here.)

I have never been able to see the point in a windshield, particularly if you
are wearing a full face
helmet.

"Del" <del_st...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Oct 15, 4:28 am, Bike guy Joe <jetstarb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> <<<<<<<<Would love to do that if Yamaha had the good sense to post
> payload figures on their scooters. I even called Yamaha in Cypress,
> CA and nobody there had a figure for maximum rider weight on each
> bike. Even Tomos, the moped people, provide that figure. Go figure!
> Oh they'll give you the "dry weight" of the scooter itself but that's
> not the payload capacity.
>

> 1--It would carry my hog body (248 lbs.) along at 20-25 mph on the
> flat and would transport me along on a smooth dirt road (no gravel);
>
> 2--My knees wouldn't be up in my face (I could slide back far enough
> on the seat to feel comfortable and my "monkey arms" would do the rest
> in reaching the handlebar) and I would have plenty of foot room for my
> size 13s.
>
> Don't I have simple needs? And just think, with the $500 saved I
> could buy a great helmet, a windshield and an endless supply of
> YamaLube.
>
> -Del
> (Still undecided but getting there).

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Bike guy Joe

Oct 17, 2007, 7:08:18 AM10/17/07
On Oct 16, 6:02 pm, Del <del_stockd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Oct 15, 4:28 am, Bike guy Joe <jetstarb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Can you get to a Yamaha dealer and sit on both scooters? That's the
> > best way to check "how they feel".
>
> <<<<I would love to do that and actually RIDE both, but unlike when
> one is buying a new car, scooter dealers do not let you test drive a
> scooter. I understand some of the reasoning behind that but it does
> make it more difficult to decide which one without that actual test
> drive.

> > I am 5'9" 210 lbs. and ride a Vino 50cc regularly on secondary, semi-
> > paved and dirt roads with no problems. 6000+ miles of it.
>
> <<<<<Actually, I think I put too much emphasis on the so-called "off
> road" scenario. The dirt roads I'm talking about are smooth, no
> gravel, no holes, etc. and not much different, and sometimes better,
> than secondary paved roads.
>
> > Look up some specs on both and compare weight capacities.
>
> <<<<<<<<Would love to do that if Yamaha had the good sense to post
> payload figures on their scooters. I even called Yamaha in Cypress,
> CA and nobody there had a figure for maximum rider weight on each
> bike. Even Tomos, the moped people, provide that figure. Go figure!
> Oh they'll give you the "dry weight" of the scooter itself but that's
> not the payload capacity.
>
> > I like the C3's looks, but I would probably buy the Vino 125 if I were
>
> you.>
>
> <<<<<<<<<<Actually, I'm starting to lean toward the Vino 125 but would
> prefer the C3 if:

> 1--It would carry my hog body (248 lbs.) along at 20-25 mph on the
> flat and would transport me along on a smooth dirt road (no gravel);
>
> 2--My knees wouldn't be up in my face (I could slide back far enough
> on the seat to feel comfortable and my "monkey arms" would do the rest
> in reaching the handlebar) and I would have plenty of foot room for my
> size 13s.
>
> Don't I have simple needs? And just think, with the $500 saved I
> could buy a great helmet, a windshield and an endless supply of
> YamaLube.
>
> -Del
> (Still undecided but getting there).

If you can at least SIT on them you'll get an idea of leg room. I am
sure the C3 will haul you along at 25 mph no problem.

Message has been deleted

Blaster

Oct 17, 2007, 8:25:56 PM10/17/07

>I want to thank everyone for their opinions on the two scooters;
> however, I've decided to go with a Harley-Davidson road hog I can get
> new for only $27,000 out the door.
>
> -Del
>
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
>
> JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Actually, I am strongly leaning toward the C3. And since the old
> geezer here is
> just gonna mostly putt around at 15-25 mph I guess the 49cc's will
> give me enough heart-stopping power to transport my eighth-ton body
> around the yard. The longer one-person seat is also appealing and my
> long monkey arms can easily bridge the distance to the "bars."
> <handlebars that is>
>
> I just wish Yameehaha would notch up the juice a little on the 3 cubed
> to say 80-85 cc's to (a) give it a bit more oomph and (b) make it a
> direct competitor to the aging Honda Elite 80.
>
> One last question. How does the 2008 Yamaha Zuma compare with the
> 2008 Yamaha C3? In terms of comfort, oomph, etc. I guess I've left
> the Vino 125 behind (for now)--may still buy one later for the road
> work and use the C3 for the closer putt-putt work. I've also
> discounted the Vino Classic 'cause if I'm gonna look like I'm on a
> Vespa, might as well buy the real thing.
>
> Sooooo, the C3 is in the lead and the only "obstacle" to that huge
> scooter grin beginning to form on my face is the possibility of the
> Zuma. Hmmmmm, decisions, decisions, decisions....whaddya think?
>
> -Del
>
> PS--BTW, I checked out the Kymco Agility. Guess it's the only Kymco
> NOT manufactured in Taiwan...it's a Chinese bike, and there's no
> dealer in the state where I live. That skeers me a bit.

That's why the Kymco Agility is $400 less than their other 50cc scooter

Bike guy Joe

Oct 18, 2007, 6:18:09 AM10/18/07
On Oct 17, 5:38 pm, Del <del_stockd...@yahoo.com> wrote:

That was funny Del. A Harley- yuk yuk.....seen it happen.

Here's a little helper for ya'.......http://www.provoscooter.com/vbull/
forumdisplay.php?f=7

Bike guy Joe

Oct 18, 2007, 6:19:31 AM10/18/07
On Oct 17, 8:25 pm, "Blaster" <wh...@too.you> wrote:
> "Del" <del_stockd...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> That's why the Kymco Agility is $400 less than their other 50cc scooter- Hide quoted text -

Ouchy. Blaster tears of the veil of "Taiwanicity"!

Oct 18, 2007, 9:14:34 PM10/18/07
Del wrote:

> I just wish Yameehaha would notch up the juice a little on the 3 cubed
> to say 80-85 cc's to (a) give it a bit more oomph and (b) make it a
> direct competitor to the aging Honda Elite 80.

In many states (but not in California), an under-50-cc motor qualifies
as a moped and you don't need a special license to ride it. That is why
they probably won't.

> PS--BTW, I checked out the Kymco Agility. Guess it's the only Kymco
> NOT manufactured in Taiwan...it's a Chinese bike, and there's no
> dealer in the state where I live. That skeers me a bit.

Oh, wow, that is really helpful information to know (scratching the
Agility 125 off my list of scooters to consider should I ever be in the
market for a replacement for my current ride)

yamaha_...@mbk.cid

Oct 19, 2007, 1:43:49 AM10/19/07
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 06:42:19 GMT, paul c <toledob...@ooyah.ac> wrote:

|>No good in stop-and-go, though and can act like a ship's sail at higher
|>speeds or in cross-winds, making the front wheel seem twitchy. In the
|>city I think it's brilliant.

If the windshield is attached to the handlebars, there is no
crosswind or twitch....like in most maxi/scooters and other M/Cycles

I used a Full Honda Windshield on the bars of my old CH250 Elite,
mainly as a front end spoiler to keep the front wheel on the ground...there
was so little traction on those 10"....

It kept the rain off the front of my body, and only got my back wet
in regular and faster riding.....

The maxi/scooters all have a front windshield twitch, but there tear
away majesty windshield has less twitch problems, with less front
coverage...it's a strange concept new to me, but the idea is ancient...just
like the CVT idea.....
"Don't Give Me Gears" on the CVT, there isn't much that can beat the
concept.......as in how many people can rework there own transmission
without being too mechanically inclined.....ahhhhh... a loction to work in
the big city proble....

As for (9Yamaha C3 Or Yamaha Vino 125) they are popular but most
city dwellers or newbies still resort to the Garage for al lot those
maintenace endeavors....
--
National Association of Assault Research
Soul Yamaha Majesty400 2005, Grey, Night Rider!

Timothy J. Trace

Oct 26, 2007, 10:53:16 PM10/26/07
I bought my wife a 2007 Vino 125 for her birthday. It's very
well-built and we're very happy with it.

I'm 220# at 5'10" and I can get the thing to 55MPH indicated on a
long, level run, but I won't take it on the interstate because those
tiny wheels feel very sketchy at those speeds.

With me and my 60# 8-year old, the bike will keep up with traffic when
accelerating away from stoplights in a 40MPH zone. He's ridden with
my wife at 50MPH on the 2-lane divided road around the lake by our
house. Usually though she's cruising around the subdivisions at less
than 20MPH with our 4-year old.

I'd think you'll find the 125CC bike to be pretty well-suited for
poking around at 30-40MPH.

But on dirt roads...? I don't think you want any part of that. The
suspension isn't designed for it, the ground clearance is too small
and the wheels are not wide enough or knobby enough for off-pavement
confidence. We'll pop the bike over the front lawn on our way to the
carport, at about 10-15MPH, but that's about all I'm willing to do.

Good luck with your decision!

Best regards,

Tim ==
(substitute 'tcsys.com' for 'nospam.co.uk')
_________________

Visit the Surrender Dorothy web !! (http://dorothyrocks.com)
Visit the Crunch Monkey web !! (http://crunchmonkey.com)

Robert LaCasse

Oct 30, 2007, 12:33:55 AM10/30/07
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 21:53:16 -0500, Timothy J. Trace <t...@nospam.co.uk>
wrote:

|>But on dirt roads...? I don't think you want any part of that. The
|>suspension isn't designed for it, the ground clearance is too small
|>and the wheels are not wide enough or knobby enough for off-pavement
|>confidence. We'll pop the bike over the front lawn on our way to the
|>carport, at about 10-15MPH, but that's about all I'm willing to do.
|>
|>Good luck with your decision!

Yep Dirt Roads are a bitch with bottom-outs, sideway skidding in
pure gravel roads...these are the worst ones that I have ride to some of my
prefered locations.......the cars don't even like it.....

It's usually a very exciting trip to surf on this stuff, but I'm not
into excitement....at all...

mje

Nov 6, 2007, 10:26:29 PM11/6/07

I'm 6'2", 250#, and sold my C3 to buy a friend's Vino 125. The C3 is a
super moped, and great if you're under (say) 175#. It'll still carry a
big guy to close to 40mph, but the acceleration is a bit sluggish. The
125's extra torque makes a big difference in traffic, as does the
hydraulic front disc brake.

Both bikes are fine for in town travel, but I think the small wheels
and limited HP limit the C3 to cruising at no more than 30 for
extended periods, and maybe 40-45 for the 125. Even at those speeds I
prefer the safety of a larger wheel on a motorcycle or one of the
Piaggio/ Aprilia / Kymco large wheel scooters. I use my Vino 125 for
trips of up to 10 miles and stay off the two-lane highways.