Re: Carl Sagan

David Dalton

Dec 16, 2023, 4:41:58 PM12/16/23
On Dec 16, 2023, The Starmaker wrote on sci.physics
(in article <657E0B...@ix.netcom.com>):

> Carl Edward Sagan was an American astronomer and science communicator.
> His best known scientific contribution is his research on the possibility of
> extraterrestrial life.
> He assembled the first physical messages sent into space
> which were universal messages that could potentially be understood by any
> extraterrestrial intelligence that might find them.
>
> Astronomy is the study of everything in the universe beyond Earth's
> atmosphere.
>
> That means a space nut.
>
> 'beyond Earth's atmosphere' means he knew he wasn't allowed to study...earth
> science.
>
> There are no other samples to comare it with so why bother learning earth
> science????
>
> There is no organic soil anywhere else in the universe...
>
> You people are not allowed to study...earth science.
>
> any trees on Mars? or Venus?? ...anywhere else???
>
> You people are not allowed to study...earth science.

I did my M.Sc. in the then Department of Geophysics and Astronomy
at The University of British Columbia, and there was some interaction
between the floors and over beer, and a shared reading room. Many
astronomers are involved in research into exoplanets which involves
comparison to the Earth and other solar system planets. And planetology
sort of bridges astronomy and geoscience.

"And if I shed a tear I won’t cage it; I won't fear love;
And if I feel a rage I won’t deny it; I won't fear love" (Sarah McLachlan)