Hawking does it again

Joe Snod

Sep 3, 2010, 7:30:28 AM9/3/10
Book review: 'Grand Design' by Hawking and Mlodinow

http://tinyurl.com/26ur966

The first sentence of this article is "Robert Oppenheimer was fond of
proposing that physics and poetry were becoming indistinguishable."

Does anybody know when or where Oppie said that, and whether it was
written down?

John Kulczycki

Sep 3, 2010, 9:02:35 AM9/3/10

Try:
"The juxtaposition of Western civilization's most terrifying
scientific achievement with the most dazzling description of the
mystical experience given to us by the Bhagavad Gita, India's greatest
literary monument."

Jan Panteltje

Sep 3, 2010, 9:02:43 AM9/3/10
On a sunny day (Fri, 3 Sep 2010 04:30:28 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Joe Snod
<joe....@yahoo.com> wrote in
<5631a78d-eb26-4f3b...@a36g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>:

Probably after his brain got a radiation overdose after looking at what remained of that first bomb test.
Do not read Hawking, he will write whatever nonsense comes into his mind.
After black holes have hair, and a ? history of time,
now God is dead, and if he manages it, his next release will have him as the creator perhaps.
In reality his black holes will evaporate after his death,
hopefully to make place for some real physics with less 'dimensions'.
In his dimensions is his probably looking for a way out, like others do in religion.
There is only the now, get used to it, understand it.

John

Sep 3, 2010, 9:41:49 AM9/3/10

"Joe Snod" <joe....@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Oppie never said that.

Quadibloc

Sep 3, 2010, 3:11:22 PM9/3/10
On Sep 3, 5:30 am, Joe Snod <joe.s...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does anybody know when or where Oppie said that, and whether it was
> written down?

I found a web site quoting Dirac saying: "In physics we try to tell
people things in such a way that they understand something that nobody
knew before. In the case of poetry it's the exact opposite" in a
context of his friendship with Oppenheimer, who is noted as being very
devoted to poetry.

http://www.kawartha.net/~apanter/jro.htm

John Savard

Raymond Yohros

Sep 4, 2010, 1:03:56 PM9/4/10
On Sep 3, 6:30 am, Joe Snod <joe.s...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Book review: 'Grand Design' by Hawking and Mlodinow
>
> http://tinyurl.com/26ur966
>
> The first sentence of this article is "Robert Oppenheimer was fond of
> proposing that physics and poetry were becoming indistinguishable."

poetry can reach the very heart of the big bang.

r.y

Chris.B

Sep 4, 2010, 4:53:19 PM9/4/10
On Sep 4, 7:03 pm, Raymond Yohros <b...@birdband.net> wrote:

> poetry can reach the very heart of the big bang.
>
> r.y

But it would be the shortest poem ever read.

Hardly time for an ode-ear! ;-)

jwarner1

Sep 5, 2010, 12:22:10 AM9/5/10

Joe Snod wrote:

Does it matter and how does it matter except as historical anecdote,
which most people will only go on to misstate and inssinterpret! Poster
below, John" says
Oppy never said that, which I find funny. I could cite my personal
exposure -
maybe John can state what is leading his statement? These things get so
convoluted
and arguementative Im not sure its worth spending time on ... vrs getting
a fourth job to pay for your health care under the Obamma Anarchy?

So, my suggestion is you direct the same question at the liofe of
Geromino!
You might get less controversial more productive results ...

I spent time with Oppy but will say no more. I want to hear about
Geronimo's astro ontology!

Good luck -

Joe Snod

Sep 5, 2010, 9:18:36 AM9/5/10

Cynical Dirac clearly didn't understand poetry, as you probably don't
either. No doubt he got bad marks in Italian, during secondary
school, where you got bad marks in English.

TMA

Sep 5, 2010, 3:32:31 PM9/5/10
" I have become death-destroyer of worlds"

Raymond Yohros

Sep 6, 2010, 8:02:49 PM9/6/10

a poem doesn't need to last for only a fraction of a second.
it just need be a perfect combination of words making
an outstanding harmony and sense

that is a great thing that poetry has over any equation.

r.y

Chris.B

Sep 7, 2010, 8:55:25 AM9/7/10
On Sep 7, 2:02 am, Raymond Yohros <b...@birdband.net> wrote:

> a poem doesn't need to last for only a fraction of a second.
> it just need be a perfect combination of words making
> an outstanding harmony and sense
>
> that is a great thing that poetry has over any equation.
>
> r.y

Oh dear.

Methinks thou doth (entirely) miss the point and the humour.

This may be a language thing.

Explanation in words of a few syllables:

Nuclear explosion. Short and nasty. No time at all.

Ode: A short poem. That's all you have time for!

Ode-ear: A play on words: Oh dear! Exclamation!

I am caught in a nuclear explosion and am very unlikely to survive.

How was it for you? :-)

Sam Wormley

Sep 9, 2010, 11:29:14 PM9/9/10

Talking Hawking and God
The Grand Design is already causing pandemonium
http://physicsworld.com/blog/2010/09/talking_hawking_and_god.html

Sam Wormley

Sep 9, 2010, 11:32:23 PM9/9/10
On 9/3/10 6:30 AM, Joe Snod wrote:

Talking Hawking and God

cjcountess

Sep 14, 2010, 7:31:54 PM9/14/10

When this post first appeared the article linked to above had a
comment section at the end of it.
Now it appears to have disappeared, or has it?
Why would they discontinue the comments section?

My comment is that "as we trace things to the underlying
interrelationship of all things, it is revealed that everything shares
the same general cosmic pattern, and as such, many analogies can be
found in many more areas, that help explain things in other areas.
This is one reason that scientist are more and more searching for
analogs, which is metaphors and the stuff of poetry. So he is right
to say this. Also, we have long been aware of the parallels between
mysticism and physics, and they too seem to be growing.

see my book web page for more complete answer: http://cjc123.com/

Conrad J Countess