Ripped Off by this SCA Member!

Gyrfalcon

Dec 7, 2000, 8:01:16 PM12/7/00
Beware, I had a bad experience. A Susanna Mac Lennan (aka Susan Hand) in
the Kingdom of the Outlands posted that there would be a concert with Seven
Nations in her area. I wrote her and agreed to send her a money order for a
CD from the concert. After almost half a year, many emails and many
excuses, I finally got something in the mail. I got a CD holder with sleeve
and 2 CD-rs. I sent this woman $17 trusting that she would send me an
unopened CD from the band. Instead, I get two home-recorded CDs, neither of
which match the jacket. This is bullshit. After this experience and
similar experiences with "trusted" SCA members, I am resigning my
membership. Just goes to prove you can't trust anyone anymore.
Meghan O'Connor

Rev. Mike Martin

Dec 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/8/00
Gyrfalcon wrote:

> Beware, I had a bad experience. A Susanna Mac Lennan (aka Susan Hand) in
> the Kingdom of the Outlands posted that there would be a concert with Seven
> Nations in her area. I wrote her and agreed to send her a money order for a
> CD from the concert. After almost half a year, many emails and many
> excuses, I finally got something in the mail. I got a CD holder with sleeve
> and 2 CD-rs. I sent this woman $17 trusting that she would send me an
> unopened CD from the band. Instead, I get two home-recorded CDs, neither of
> which match the jacket. This is bullshit. After this experience and
> similar experiences with "trusted" SCA members, I am resigning my

What "trusted" members? Trusted by whom? Anybody with $35 bucks and a
stamp can become a member.

> membership. Just goes to prove you can't trust anyone anymore.
> Meghan O'Connor

That's good, tar the whole group for the actions of a few.

Is there some reason you can't order this CD from a store? From the
distributor? Hell, from the band themselves? Have a look around and I'll
bet you could have gotten it direct for the same money and far less
hassle.

Hrothgar
--
Lord Hrothgar the Smith Rev. Mike Martin
Visne crisere? Iam non aeger sum

Heather Rose Jones

Dec 8, 2000, 1:21:18 PM12/8/00

Um, let me see if I have this straight. You entered into a private
financial transaction with a private individual regarding a non-SCA
event, and when the transaction went sour, it is clearly the SCA's
fault? With logic like that, I have to wonder how much else in the post
is exaggerated or biased.

Tangwystyl

--
*********
Heather Rose Jones

Mark Mettler

Dec 11, 2000, 11:54:08 PM12/11/00
And so you (this person who is whining) participated in a theft, by
contracting an unlawful duplication and distribution of copyrighted
music, and you want sympathy. OK, send me your address and I'll have
the copyright owner send you a sympathy card.

A pot (thief) calling the kettle black.

trevor...@my-deja.com

Dec 15, 2000, 1:10:26 PM12/15/00

From the discussion, it sounds as though Meghan had simply expected
Susan(na) to buy her a (legitimate) copy of the CD at the concert and
post it to her. I believe that would be permissible.

What wouldn't be permissible would be to copy the CD before sending it,
nor to copy any other CDs and send them.

So, it sounds as though Meghan is innocent in this case, as she didn't
ask for any copies to be made, so far as I can tell.

Where the original CD got to is anyone's guess, but it's clearly
nothing to do with the SCA per se.

Trevor.
--
trevor/dot\barker/at\ntlworld/dot\com

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Timothy A. McDaniel

Dec 15, 2000, 3:02:02 PM12/15/00
Mark Mettler <met...@bulloch.net> wrote:
> And so you (this person who is whining) participated in a theft, by
> contracting an unlawful duplication and distribution of copyrighted
> music

J. Michael Straczinski, I think it was, noted that the US Supreme
Court years ago ruled that copyright violation is not theft (thus
copyright violators cannot be prosecuted under standard laws covering
larceny, theft, stealing, whatever). In the US it's illegal and if
done in large enough quantities it is a felony, and The World Is A
Very Big Place so it may be considered "theft" where *you* live, but
it is apparently not "theft" per se in the US.

Unfortunately, I don't have a cite for that. If anyone has any
reliable info, I'd like to see it -- but given the massive amounts of
misunderstanding about copyright, I don't think I'd trust anything
short of verbatim quotes of judicial opinions, verbatim quotes of
laws, or someone who has evidently done a lot of research or for which
there appears good reason to think them reliable.

--
Tim McDaniel is tm...@jump.net; if that fail,
tm...@us.ibm.com is my work account.