Elizabethan grammer guide?

1 view

Chip Zempel

Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
Can anyone direct me to a good lay-person's guide to Elizabethan grammar,
online or in print? I'm looking for something that might fall somewhere
between those lists of witty insults at one exteme and academic textbooks
at the other. A sort of "conversational Elizabethan," if you will. When to
use "thou" (is this the second person singular familiar, like the French
"tu," to be used only with aquaintances?), those Elizabethan verb endings
"-est" and "-eth" (I make, thou makest, he maketh? Is that right?) -- those
sorts of things.

Thanks in advance!

Chip Zempel, bass
Delta Breeze a cappella quartet

(psst - wanna buy a CD?)

Ray Lischner

Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 12:02:50 -0800, cze...@ns.net (Chip Zempel) wrote:

>Can anyone direct me to a good lay-person's guide to Elizabethan grammar,
>online or in print? I'm looking for something that might fall somewhere
>between those lists of witty insults at one exteme and academic textbooks
>at the other. A sort of "conversational Elizabethan," if you will. When to
>use "thou" (is this the second person singular familiar, like the French
>"tu," to be used only with aquaintances?), those Elizabethan verb endings
>"-est" and "-eth" (I make, thou makest, he maketh? Is that right?) -- those
>sorts of things.

Shakespeare for Dummies has a chapter on Shakespeare's language, which
includes those topics.
--
Ray Lischner, http://www.bardware.com
co-author (with John Doyle) of Shakespeare for Dummies

Chip Zempel

Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
In article <czempel-ya0240800...@ca.news.verio.net>,
cze...@ns.net (Chip Zempel) wrote:

>Can anyone direct me to a good lay-person's guide to Elizabethan grammar,
>online or in print? I'm looking for something that might fall somewhere
>between those lists of witty insults at one exteme and academic textbooks
>at the other. A sort of "conversational Elizabethan," if you will. When to
>use "thou" (is this the second person singular familiar, like the French
>"tu," to be used only with aquaintances?), those Elizabethan verb endings
>"-est" and "-eth" (I make, thou makest, he maketh? Is that right?) -- those
>sorts of things.
>

>Thanks in advance!

>Chip Zempel, bass
>Delta Breeze a cappella quartet
>
>(psst - wanna buy a CD?)

Oh, my God, how embarrassing! I just looked at my subject line and realized
I made a typo. Honestly, I know it's "grammAr" - really, I do!!!

Gary

Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99

Would the Elizabethans have really minded so much, as long as you do the
typos with verve, gusto, and Shakespearian love of life?!? (-:

Gary

--
"What you see is not what you think you see."
-- Jeanette Winterson

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

David Howells

Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
"The Elizabethan Language Book" by Gerald Zepeda, published by the Renaissance
Entertainment Corporation.