New MTV Europe look...ugh / VH-1 Europe starting on 30th Sept

Richard Lloyd

Sep 22, 1994, 4:14:27 AM9/22/94
Having just checked out my recording of "Hit List UK" on MTV Europe (just about
the only regular show I watch on that channel), I noticed that they've done
this:

1. Put a more annoying permanent MTV logo in the top right - it's slightly
bigger and also has an opaque "M" instead of a outline "M".

2. Revamped "Hit List UK"'s graphics after some 2 years, but there was nothing
really wrong with the old graphics !

3. Removed the 11.00pm airing of "Hit List UK" to make way for a new tedious
"The End ?" show. This now means you've got to catch the 5.00pm showing or
you're stuffed - this is appalling since "Hit List UK" is often the only
place to catch certain UK chart videos (since MTV Europe's remit is to play
Bon Jovi 24 hours a day) and a 5.00pm showing for probably MTV Europe's
"flagship" show is pretty shabby.

Anyone else think these changes are for the worse ? I suspect they want to
"polish up" their presentation before VH-1 Europe comes on-line on 30th
September. Talking on VH-1 Europe, here's the first day's schedules (times are
UK time):

VH-1 Europe's first day schedules (Friday 30th September):
10.00pm: VH-1 Launch Special
11.00pm: Around And Around: Presented by David Hepworth
12.00am: The Nightfly, presented by Tommy Vance
2.00am: Prime Cuts: Presented by Paul King
3.00am: VH-1 Soul: Sonya Saul
4.00am: VH-1 Launch Special (repeat of course)
5.00am-7.00am: Dawn Patrol

Richard K. Lloyd, E-mail: r...@csc.liv.ac.uk
Computer Science Dept., WWW: http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/users/rkl/
Liverpool University,