Has satellite Internet services improved in terms of latencies and speeds?

Ant

Dec 23, 2011, 1:02:00 AM12/23/11
Or are they still crappy? :(
--
"We may have no malevolent intentions toward an ant heap, but if we want
to build a house on the same site..." --Rendezvous With Rama
| |o o| |

David Spain

Jan 4, 2012, 3:00:18 PM1/4/12
Ant wrote:
> Or are they still crappy? :(

Don't expect latencies to improve until they invent sub-space satellite.

Dave

Ant

Jan 4, 2012, 3:54:13 PM1/4/12
Are there any plans for those to happen soon?

David Spain

Jan 10, 2012, 11:57:36 PM1/10/12
No

Ant

Jan 12, 2012, 7:06:27 AM1/12/12
On 1/10/2012 8:57 PM PT, David Spain typed:

>>> Don't expect latencies to improve until they invent sub-space satellite.
>>
>> Are there any plans for those to happen soon?
>
> No

Darn. I wonder why satellite technologies aren't faster in improvements. :(
--
"After World War III, the ants will still be around." --unknown

Chris

Jan 14, 2012, 5:02:46 AM1/14/12

"David Spain" <nos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
Isn't that what O3b Networks will do ?
http://www.o3bnetworks.com/o3b-advantage
Still a while to go before they launch though

Chris

David Spain

Jan 15, 2012, 1:47:41 PM1/15/12
Chris wrote:
> Isn't that what O3b Networks will do ?
> http://www.o3bnetworks.com/o3b-advantage
> Still a while to go before they launch though

It's not sub-space radio :-), but MEO is an interesting alternative.

Some questions:
1) Where does this position their birds relative to Van Allen belts?
Do they require special rad hardening?

2) At <0.1 degree inclination and operating on Ka-band how do they insure
non-interference with GEO sats? Have they secured their own freq. reservations
with the ITU?

3) Launch providers? Cost to get the constellation on-station?

Sounds a bit like Teledesic writ small.
How does this make money when Iridium failed so miserably?

Dave

Chris

Jan 16, 2012, 4:08:50 AM1/16/12

"David Spain" <nos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
Don't know much about them other than what's on their web site.
A press release on launch is at
http://www.arianespace.com/news-press-release/2011/12-9-2011-o3b-agreement.a
sp

Various press releases contain references to their "current spectrum
allocation" but I couldn't spot anywhere that said what it actually was.

Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

Feb 10, 2012, 12:12:16 AM2/10/12
On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 22:02:00 -0800, Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:

>Or are they still crappy? :(

I don't know about the rest of them but, HughesNet sucks.

Expect no better than 500 KB -- that's right, no better than 0.5 MB,
or, 500 KB down, 100 KB or so up.

And the 500KB down was the best I ever saw.

HughesNet sucks

Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

Feb 10, 2012, 12:13:06 AM2/10/12
And their tech support is nothing but wogs and ragheads in Bombay
reading scripts.

Did I mention that HughesNet sucks?

johnr

Apr 25, 2012, 9:39:31 PM4/25/12
On 12/22/2011 10:02 PM, Ant wrote:
> Or are they still crappy? :(
Latency is a function of physics. The radio signal travels up to the
satellite, then back down at the speed of light (C). You may reduce
this time by reducing the distance. Might I suggest: Move to Columbia.
Geostationary orbits must exist on the equatorial plane. Unfortunately
there are no geostationary orbiting satellites hovering over the San
Francisco Bay Area.

Understand and accept the facts of latency life. If your use of the net
requires minimal latency, satellite access is not for you.

Exede at 50/mo for 12Mbps of speed and 7.5GB of throughput works for me
because I am outside of the DSL distance from the Telco Central Office
(19,000 feet in my case).

John Sowden
American Sentry Systems, Inc.

Ant

Apr 26, 2012, 4:39:09 AM4/26/12
On 4/25/2012 6:39 PM PT, johnr typed:

> Exede at 50/mo for 12Mbps of speed and 7.5GB of throughput works for me
> because I am outside of the DSL distance from the Telco Central Office
> (19,000 feet in my case).

Same here, but 20K ft. or so assuming this estimate is correct on
DSL/Broadband Reports' web site from long ago (a bit late, aren't we?).
Bummer this one still has caps (125 GB at most). Also, I get nothing for
its dealer results after entering the zip codes. So, I guess no services. :(
--
"It is said that the lonely eagle flies to the mountain peaks while the
lowly ant crawls the ground, but cannot the soul of the ant soar as high

johnr

Apr 29, 2012, 10:13:19 PM4/29/12
On 04/26/2012 01:39 AM, Ant wrote:
> On 4/25/2012 6:39 PM PT, johnr typed:
>
>> Exede at 50/mo for 12Mbps of speed and 7.5GB of throughput works for me
>> because I am outside of the DSL distance from the Telco Central Office
>> (19,000 feet in my case).
>
> Same here, but 20K ft. or so assuming this estimate is correct on
> DSL/Broadband Reports' web site from long ago (a bit late, aren't we?).
> Bummer this one still has caps (125 GB at most). Also, I get nothing for
> its dealer results after entering the zip codes. So, I guess no
> services. :(
I don't know where your geographic area is, but just because a dealer
did not show up in a search does not mean the service is not available.
you can go direct. I am in the SF Bay Area. My "dealer" whom I never
was in contact with), is is Florida. The company who I bought the
service from (a sales agent for the dealer) is is Oklahoma. The
installing contractor (who I DID communicate with) is is Sacramento, CA.
The actual installer (an independent contractor) drove up from San
Jose to the the install. I get the bill from Wild Blue (a sales name
for Exede) in Carlsbad, CA. Unfortunately, this method of business is
designed to block responsibility. You also loose control (as in
Quality) by this method, but this does not seem to be important. I own
a company that installs security systems. My industry is the same for
the "mass marketers. I only hire/train/supervise technical employees,
so I can provide a quality service.
As we say when programming in Foxpro/DOS, "set soapbox off".

Due to the limitation that a geostationary orbit must be on the
equatorial plane, there is a limit of how far north or south from the
equator that you can go. The farther away, the lower the "beam" gets to
the surface of the earth. There is a point at which convection currents
from the earth's surface interfere with the data transmission. I
believe that, latitude wise, you are ok from Oregon, south.