GPS traffic w/o data $$

David Lesher

May 25, 2019, 1:05:21 PM5/25/19
I recall someone owning a GPS that got its traffic data via a FM
subcarrier or similar; it did not require cell-phone data.

Do such still exist in the marketplace?

Joe Makowiec

May 26, 2019, 6:43:07 AM5/26/19
On 25 May 2019 in sci.geo.satellite-nav, David Lesher wrote:

> I recall someone owning a GPS that got its traffic data via a FM
> subcarrier or similar; it did not require cell-phone data.
>
> Do such still exist in the marketplace?

Today on Garmin's website; also three others:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/669167

On sale, which may mean that they're end-of-life.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

David Lesher

May 26, 2019, 8:18:48 PM5/26/19
Joe Makowiec <mako...@invalid.invalid> writes:

>On 25 May 2019 in sci.geo.satellite-nav, David Lesher wrote:

>> I recall someone owning a GPS that got its traffic data via a FM
>> subcarrier or similar; it did not require cell-phone data.
>>
>> Do such still exist in the marketplace?

>Today on Garmin's website; also three others:

>https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/669167

>On sale, which may mean that they're end-of-life.

I am finding Garmin's website so confusing I may give up.
Units with T for Traffic don't have Traffic until you ALSO
buy the receiver cable. Unless the unit has an internal receiver.
(or it's Tuesday, and you're sitting at the dealer's right...)

Their solution to this maze is <https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=i34WV8maJa11t7iwvYnz18&searchQuery=north%20america%20traffic&searchType=noProduct>
which lets you look at the color of the power cable you got when you bought it!
That hardly helps when trying to select a model to purchase.

danny burstein

May 26, 2019, 9:04:08 PM5/26/19
In <qcfad7$l83$1...@reader2.panix.com> David Lesher <wb8...@panix.com> writes:

>I am finding Garmin's website so confusing I may give up.
>Units with T for Traffic don't have Traffic until you ALSO
>buy the receiver cable. Unless the unit has an internal receiver.
>(or it's Tuesday, and you're sitting at the dealer's right...)

hey, did you check the e-mail I sent you?

dan...@panix.com

Alan Browne

Jun 1, 2019, 11:17:21 AM6/1/19
On 2019-05-25 13:05, David Lesher wrote:
> I recall someone owning a GPS that got its traffic data via a FM
> subcarrier or similar; it did not require cell-phone data.
>
> Do such still exist in the marketplace?

My reply will not satisfy you, but I'm writing it ... because.

I bought a Garmin something or other last summer and it bluetooth
connected to my iPhone and received traffic data that way (cell). Some
set up required but no big deal. (And there was a cable option for a
radio receiver too, IIRC). I have no issue with this since cell data is
so cheap these days.

In the disclaimers was a condition that Garmin could not guarantee the
service (traffic, etc.) into the future.

All that to say, even with the radio channel there's no guarantee that
Garmin will issue the data in the future - or anyone else - whether via
cell or FM radio.

(Skip to AAAAA below if you find this tl;dr at this point)

In the end I was quite dissatisfied with the Garmin user interface and
very slow to enter addresses for destinations (you would start with a
street name and it would start to list as many as it could find in a
certain radius and not allow you to add more specifics. Really crappy
interface - And I'm coming from TomTom!).

So I returned the Garmin and suffered my aging TomTom some more while
looking for a new car GPS... I was even considering ... gasp! another
TomTom.

EOW Rollover occurred early April and the TomTom never worked well after
that. A reset got the receiver going again but ETA got screwed... IAC
had been 5 years that I couldn't update maps anymore.

I put off buying a new unit of any kind and as I was looking to a new
car, that would be the deciding factor.

AAAAA

2019 Honda Accord LX. Apple CarPlay. No more independent GPS...
I can use Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze - all with traffic, etc.
Beautiful large display, no sunlight readability issues. (It does crash
from time to time (Honda's display)). Yes, dependent on cell data - but
as mentioned above, that's ridiculously cheap these days.

(Google Maps are "nicer" (smooth, better presentation), but Apple Maps
is better integrated, less fuss to get a route going. Waze is
cartoonish - but provides more "along the route" info ahead of time).

--
"Even with the brain dead, the pig's heart keeps on beating...
sort of like ... pick a Kardashian."