EU "Galileo" GPS system remains down

danny burstein

Jul 14, 2019, 7:32:13 PM7/14/19
Fortunately, we all remember how to use our compasses,
sextants, and accurate clocks, eh?

h/t Lauren

The time signals from US based GPS are used on
lots of telecom gear. I don't know if the Galileo
system has similar subscribers.
====
To: privac...@vortex.com
Subject: [ PRIVACY Forum ] EU "Galileo" GPS system remains down

EU "Galileo" GPS system remains down

As I mentioned yesterday on Twitter, the EU's "Galileo" GPS system is
down. And it remains down, except for search and rescue transmissions
functionality:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-48985399
========

aha, some more info:

"Another source close to the program told us, 'As far as I know, it is a
problem of the PTF [Precise Timing Facility] in Italy's time has an impact on
the whole constellation!"

https://insidegnss.com/update-galileo-service-degraded-on-all-satellites-precise-timing-facility-problems-cited/

Reinhard Zwirner

Jul 19, 2019, 7:02:28 PM7/19/19