Google Grupper understøtter ikke længere nye Usenet-opslag eller -abonnementer. Tidligere indhold er fortsat synligt.

How do you ROUTE on foot following an edited GPX track overlaid on a USGPS topographical map on your mobile device?

3 visninger
Gå til det første ulæste opslag

Arlen G. Holder

ulæst,
23. maj 2019, 11.58.3023.05.2019
til
Using freeware only (so as to be a general purpose solution), how do you
ROUTE on foot following an edited GPX track overlaid on a USGPS
topographical map on your mobile device?
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1780048qgis20.jpg>

Currently, I perform the following three actions, where this question is
about the last action, which is FOLLOWING a modified track on foot over
rough terrain.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2999436qgis14.jpg>

1. On the mobile device, I save the track & export to GPX format files.
2. On the desktop, I _modify_ that track overlain on a USGS topo map.
3. *On the mobile device, I wish to now _follow_ that track.*

The question is how do you do #3 above?

Bear in mind, any software that simply shows your current position on a
USGS topographical map will "work", but I'm asking for a purpose-built
routing software which *speaks* directions to get back on track.

Perhaps it would say something like:
o Your waypoint is 1000 feet away at 287 degrees
or, maybe something like
o Your track is five feet at 45 degrees

Where the point is that the directions are spoken (as you're hiking so you
don't want to be looking constantly at the mobile device), and that the
directions are intended to vector you back to the track, where being off by
only ten or twenty feet is probably the maximum desired margin of error in
mountainous terrain.

In summary, as Usenet is a potluck picnic where everyone strives to add
value, the request here is to ask those who already have a solution what
they use, so that others can follow, literally, in their footsteps.

Libor Striz

ulæst,
23. maj 2019, 12.38.3123.05.2019
til
"Arlen G. Holder" <arling...@nospam.net> Wrote in message:
> Bear in mind, any software that simply shows your current position on aUSGS topographical map will "work", but I'm asking for a purpose-builtrouting software which *speaks* directions to get back on track.Perhaps it would say something like:o Your waypoint is 1000 feet away at 287 degreesor, maybe something likeo Your track is five feet at 45 degrees.

LocusMap ( but ad supported or payware)
says "track is 200 metres on 10 o'clock", by dogfighting style.

LM developers are Czech, I contribute to development by testing and by BRouter profiles(*) and I support the team. They do it for living.

I use it frequently while hiking or riding bicycle, either via OSM way network, calculated by BTouter, either via manual off-road track .

(*) See http://GitHub.com/Poutnikl/Brouter-profiles/wiki

--
Poutnik ( the Wanderer )

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Libor Striz

ulæst,
23. maj 2019, 14.43.0523.05.2019
til
Libor Striz <poutnik4R...@gmailCAPITALS.com.INVALID> Wrote in message:

> either via OSM way network, calculated by BTouter, either via manual off-road track .

Hehe, BRouter, of course.

John McWilliams

ulæst,
23. maj 2019, 16.53.0823.05.2019
til

Arlen G. Holder

ulæst,
24. maj 2019, 02.39.1724.05.2019
til
On Thu, 23 May 2019 18:38:27 +0200 (GMT+02:00), Libor Striz wrote:

> LocusMap ( but ad supported or payware)
> says "track is 200 metres on 10 o'clock", by dogfighting style.

Thanks Poutnik,

Thanks for suggesting Locus Map, where, as you're aware, very few people
have any knowledge to add to the value of others on Usenet, and where
you've helped me hone the map choices a lot over the years.

As you're likely aware, I factory reset my phone about monthly for privacy
reasons, so I have to re-load most of my map apps which I removed because
one of them was screwing up the battery life.

Now the battery lasts for a few days - but it barely lasted two days before
I wiped out all my map apps to start fresh a couple of months ago.

I do remember testing Locus Map, which, you can see from this older
screenshot of a few months ago, I had it on my system, so I'll re-test that
first.

These are all FREEWARE map apps, ordered from BEST to WORST:
<https://i.postimg.cc/PJPZCWps/map01.jpg>

Offline Road maps:
o Navigator
o Google Maps
o OSMAnd~
o CoPilot
o Sygic
o Navmii USA

Roadmap trackers:
o A-GPS Tracker

USGS Track and Route
o US Topo Maps
o Locus Map

USGS track only
o BackCountry Navigator
MyTrails
Avenza

USGS locate
o Topo Maps

OSM track & route
o Gaia GPS

OSM track
o TrackBook

Track only
o OSMTracker
o GPSLogger
o TinyTravel

World topo
o World Topo

Coordinate position
o Here GPS
o My Location

Compass only
o Solar Compass (useful to check your compass)
o Just a Damn Compass
o Compass

Map editor
o Polaris