TomTom announced that it had signed a deal with Huawei

4 views
Skip to first unread message

Arlen Holder

unread,
Jan 19, 2020, 10:30:34 PM1/19/20
to
TomTom announced that it had signed a deal with Huawei to provide
o Maps
o Traffic
o Navigation

o TomTom closes deal with Huawei for use of maps and services
<https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tomtom-huawei-tech/tomtom-closes-deal-with-huawei-for-use-of-maps-and-services-spokesman-idUSKBN1ZG1SW>
"Dutch navigation and digital mapping company TomTom on Friday
said it has closed a deal with China's Huawei Technologies
for the use of its maps and services in smartphone apps."

"The deal with TomTom means Huawei can now use the Dutch
company's maps, traffic information and navigation software
to develop apps for its smartphones."

See also:
o Huawei will use TomTom for maps now that it's cut off from Google
<https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/19/huawei-tomtom-map-deal/>
"Now that Huawei is effectively cut off from Google, how is going
to provide navigation on its phones? By finding a non-American
partner, of course."

o With Google Maps unavailable, Huawei turns to another mapping, navigation, and traffic provider
<https://www.phonearena.com/news/huawei-finds-a-replacement-for-google-maps_id121634>
"In 2012, [TomTom] entered into a deal that made the company
the main provider of mapping data for the new Apple Maps.
But this turned out to be a fiasco for Apple as the app launched
half-baked with cities and towns mislabeled, countries missing,
and directions not to be trusted. Things were so bad that Apple
CEO Tim Cook issued an apology and did the unthinkable. He
recommended that iOS users install a rival mapping service such as
Google Maps while Apple improved its own version. While Apple did
improve Apple Maps to the point where it could take you from point
"A" to point "B" without incident, in 2018 it dropped TomTom and
other third-party mapping vendors and decided to collect the
mapping data itself."

Carlos E.R.

unread,
Jan 20, 2020, 5:44:06 AM1/20/20
to
On 20/01/2020 04.30, Arlen Holder wrote:
> TomTom announced that it had signed a deal with Huawei to provide
> o Maps
> o Traffic
> o Navigation
>
> o TomTom closes deal with Huawei for use of maps and services
> <https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tomtom-huawei-tech/tomtom-closes-deal-with-huawei-for-use-of-maps-and-services-spokesman-idUSKBN1ZG1SW>
> "Dutch navigation and digital mapping company TomTom on Friday
> said it has closed a deal with China's Huawei Technologies
> for the use of its maps and services in smartphone apps."
>
> "The deal with TomTom means Huawei can now use the Dutch
> company's maps, traffic information and navigation software
> to develop apps for its smartphones."
>
> See also:
> o Huawei will use TomTom for maps now that it's cut off from Google
> <https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/19/huawei-tomtom-map-deal/>
> "Now that Huawei is effectively cut off from Google, how is going
> to provide navigation on its phones? By finding a non-American
> partner, of course."

Obvious. Why not use openmaps?

>
> o With Google Maps unavailable, Huawei turns to another mapping, navigation, and traffic provider
> <https://www.phonearena.com/news/huawei-finds-a-replacement-for-google-maps_id121634>
> "In 2012, [TomTom] entered into a deal that made the company
> the main provider of mapping data for the new Apple Maps.
> But this turned out to be a fiasco for Apple as the app launched
> half-baked with cities and towns mislabeled, countries missing,
> and directions not to be trusted. Things were so bad that Apple
> CEO Tim Cook issued an apology and did the unthinkable. He
> recommended that iOS users install a rival mapping service such as
> Google Maps while Apple improved its own version. While Apple did
> improve Apple Maps to the point where it could take you from point
> "A" to point "B" without incident, in 2018 it dropped TomTom and
> other third-party mapping vendors and decided to collect the
> mapping data itself."

Now this is curious. I'm a TomTom user since about 2011, and while it
had errors, it was accurate most of the times. I guess that the
criticism should specify on what countries were those problems.

What I can say is that they can take two years to correct an error after
I tell them (the reality can change after the map was drawn).



--
Cheers, Carlos.

micky

unread,
Jan 28, 2020, 12:42:27 AM1/28/20
to
In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 20 Jan 2020 11:42:10 +0100, "Carlos
E.R." <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:

>
>Now this is curious. I'm a TomTom user since about 2011, and while it
>had errors, it was accurate most of the times. I guess that the
>criticism should specify on what countries were those problems.
>
>What I can say is that they can take two years to correct an error after
>I tell them (the reality can change after the map was drawn).

Do you know how often they issue new maps?

Carlos E.R.

unread,
Jan 29, 2020, 7:56:07 AM1/29/20
to
Four times a year.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

micky

unread,
Feb 5, 2020, 12:29:00 AM2/5/20
to
In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 28 Jan 2020 16:06:42 +0800, "Anthony R.
Gold" <not-fo...@ahjg.co.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 00:42:25 -0500, micky <NONONOa...@rushpost.com>
>wrote:
>with their older TomTom navigation platforms they issue complete new maps
>four times per year. But for devices and apps that use their newer NDS
>mapping platform they issue changes in incremental updates each week.

Then it shouldn't take 2 years to correct an error.

The street I live on is only 3 to 6 blocks long depending on how you
count. And it's shaped like a rectangle. Google maps gets the starting
street number right but then it goes the wrong direction around the
circle, so it thinks I live on the other side of the circle. So far I
don't think it's caused any real** problems, but I think about sending
in a correction. **I subscribe to a crime report and it sorts the
crimes by how far from my house it happened, and it gets that wrong a
lot because it thinks I live 3 blocks away from where I do. So crimes
nearest my house should be at the top of the list but they're not, and
the list takes more concentration to check.

Also I live on a stream -- the woods are the reason I chose to live
here. Couldn't believe I coudl get a place like this in my price range,
which was low. Didn't know about the stream until later -- and I want
to name the 200x20 foot island after myself and send that in to Google
Maps. Unfortunately they want supporting evidence, and I can't figure
out how to forge that.

Carlos E.R.

unread,
Feb 9, 2020, 2:16:07 PM2/9/20
to
On 05/02/2020 06.28, micky wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 28 Jan 2020 16:06:42 +0800, "Anthony R.
> Gold" <not-fo...@ahjg.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 00:42:25 -0500, micky <NONONOa...@rushpost.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 20 Jan 2020 11:42:10 +0100, "Carlos
>>> E.R." <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> Now this is curious. I'm a TomTom user since about 2011, and while it
>>>> had errors, it was accurate most of the times. I guess that the
>>>> criticism should specify on what countries were those problems.
>>>>
>>>> What I can say is that they can take two years to correct an error after
>>>> I tell them (the reality can change after the map was drawn).
>>>
>>> Do you know how often they issue new maps?
>>
>> with their older TomTom navigation platforms they issue complete new maps
>> four times per year. But for devices and apps that use their newer NDS
>> mapping platform they issue changes in incremental updates each week.
>
> Then it shouldn't take 2 years to correct an error.

Certainly. They told me once that the map is contracted from some other
company, so it is up to them. Once, after more than a year that a
highway node had been fully remade, I had to send them screen shots of
other map sources that diplayed the spot correctly, and then they told
me that as an excuse, ex, explanation.

>
> The street I live on is only 3 to 6 blocks long depending on how you
> count. And it's shaped like a rectangle. Google maps gets the starting
> street number right but then it goes the wrong direction around the
> circle, so it thinks I live on the other side of the circle. So far I
> don't think it's caused any real** problems, but I think about sending
> in a correction. **I subscribe to a crime report and it sorts the
> crimes by how far from my house it happened, and it gets that wrong a
> lot because it thinks I live 3 blocks away from where I do. So crimes
> nearest my house should be at the top of the list but they're not, and
> the list takes more concentration to check.
>
> Also I live on a stream -- the woods are the reason I chose to live
> here. Couldn't believe I coudl get a place like this in my price range,
> which was low. Didn't know about the stream until later -- and I want
> to name the 200x20 foot island after myself and send that in to Google
> Maps. Unfortunately they want supporting evidence, and I can't figure
> out how to forge that.

:-D

--
Cheers, Carlos.

micky

unread,
Feb 13, 2020, 6:02:03 PM2/13/20
to
In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 9 Feb 2020 20:15:34 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
<robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 05/02/2020 06.28, micky wrote:
>> In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 28 Jan 2020 16:06:42 +0800, "Anthony R.
>> Gold" <not-fo...@ahjg.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 00:42:25 -0500, micky <NONONOa...@rushpost.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 20 Jan 2020 11:42:10 +0100, "Carlos
>>>> E.R." <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Now this is curious. I'm a TomTom user since about 2011, and while it
>>>>> had errors, it was accurate most of the times. I guess that the
>>>>> criticism should specify on what countries were those problems.
>>>>>
>>>>> What I can say is that they can take two years to correct an error after
>>>>> I tell them (the reality can change after the map was drawn).
>>>>
>>>> Do you know how often they issue new maps?
>>>
>>> with their older TomTom navigation platforms they issue complete new maps
>>> four times per year. But for devices and apps that use their newer NDS
>>> mapping platform they issue changes in incremental updates each week.
>>
>> Then it shouldn't take 2 years to correct an error.
>
>Certainly. They told me once that the map is contracted from some other
>company, so it is up to them. Once, after more than a year that a
>highway node had been fully remade, I had to send them screen shots of
>other map sources that diplayed the spot correctly, and then they told
>me that as an excuse, ex, explanation.

They should hire a differnent contractor.

When a friend bought a house a few years old in a small rural recent
subdivision, I looked it up on 3 or 4 satellite views.

Each one was a different picture. Roughly, one had no trace of the
house two doors from her (at the end of the street), one had it under
construction, and one had it finished. Or more likely it had to do
with the house between hers and two doors away, although I thought that
was still an emply lot for a few months. Whatever, the pictures were
months apart.

I know one way to tell dates: About 9 months ago, spring of 2019, they
put in little islands at a 4-way stop. It used to allow 2 cars through
in each direction at a time, but now it's just a little too narrow for
that, and traffic backs up in rush hour or when parents are picking up
their children. NOT (Not only that?) on one of the 4 semi-streets that
go into the intersection, there was a Head Right arrow facing the
intersection and a stop sign facing the other way. In only 9 months or
so, drivers have knocked the _|-|_ pole over twice and bent it once.
(Just on that one street, not the other 3.)

So are the islands on satellite view? No. Even though it says Map data
c 2020.

Are they in street view? No. But what look like the chalk outline,
only the 4 corners of the outline, is on 2 of the 4 streets (not the
same long street, but 90^ apart).

It seems like too expensive so I don't expect street view to ever be
done again, even though I know some areas have been revisited. In this
case, Street view doesn't have a copyright date, even though iirc
sometimes it does.

Woody

unread,
Feb 14, 2020, 3:10:54 AM2/14/20
to
I was looking on Streetview a few days ago travelling along a road
towards a newish building I could see ahead, but when I got to the
building to look at it the building wasn't there as the view had not
been updated.


--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Chris in Makati

unread,
Feb 14, 2020, 11:43:24 PM2/14/20
to
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 08:10:51 +0000, Woody <harro...@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>I was looking on Streetview a few days ago travelling along a road
>towards a newish building I could see ahead, but when I got to the
>building to look at it the building wasn't there as the view had not
>been updated.

To produce Google Street View involves driving a Google car fitted
with a mounted camera along every stretch of road.

Street View now cover a large proportion of roads in the world, so
it's clearly not something that can be repeated that frequently.
Street View images are often more (sometime much more) than a year out
of date.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages