Google is cracking down, by November 2nd, 2020, on Android apps that track your location in the background

Arlen Holder

Feb 22, 2020, 1:08:17 AM2/22/20
Dateline today...

o Android Developers Blog
The latest Android and Google Play news for app and game developers.
*Safer and More Transparent Access to User Location*
<https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2020/02/safer-location-access.html>

1. Since the beginning of Android, users have needed to grant explicit
permission to any app that wants access to their location data.
2. In Android 10, people were given additional control to only grant access
when the app is in use, which makes location access more intentional.
3. In Android 11, we're giving users even more control with the ability to
grant a temporary one-time permission to sensitive data like location.

"Later this year, we will be updating Google Play policy
to require that developers get approval if they want to
access location data in the background."

Factors that will be looked at include:
a. Does the feature deliver clear value to the user?
b. Would users expect the app to access their location in the background?
c. Is the feature important to the primary purpose of the app?
d. Can you deliver the same experience without accessing location?

"All apps will be evaluated against the same factors,
including apps made by Google"
--
Usenet is a potluck where adults congregate to share items of value.

Arlen Holder

Feb 22, 2020, 10:04:34 PM2/22/20

Arlen Holder

Feb 22, 2020, 10:24:26 PM2/22/20
*Please do not reply to this thread*.

The "correct" thread to reply is over here, please:
o Google is cracking down, by November 2nd, 2020, on Android apps that track your location in the background
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/tHlwlyV5GE8>

This recent hiccup is likely due to something amiss with the mixmin server:
o Mixmin, Steve Crook: What's so very wrong with posting [using Mixmin lately]?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.free.newsservers/LQ-SIu2gjHE>

Apparently the mixmin admin (Steve Crook) kindly fixed the backup, and then
just now he let the blocked messages go, perhaps not realizing they were
subsequently sent via other intentionally free nntp servers (e.g., sent via
Paolo Amaroso's nntp server, aioe or via Roman Racine's albasani server).

Dumping all the backed up messages isn't what I would have done, but that's
why you see this thread, apparently, which was blocked for days by the
accidental mixup at mixmin.
--
Usenet allows us to combine our tricks & knowledge to help more people!