Google Earth not showing Arctic Ice Cap correctly

Seth Russell

Sep 14, 2007, 2:12:05 PM9/14/07
It's frustrating sometimes to get a big company like Google to do the
right thing. This is a case in point. The Earth needs a year by year
awareness of the melting Arctic ice cap. Yet Google refuses to show
it to us. The excuse goes something like "we only show images of land
masses and the arctic is not a land mass". The fix is easy ... change
that rule for the Arctic ... there are plenty of sources of imagery
available to Google.

If anyone can direct me to a better place to post this to get Google
to fix it, please let me know.

Seth Russell
http://fastblogit.com/seth

Roger Mills

Sep 14, 2007, 2:55:43 PM9/14/07
Seth Russell <russel...@gmail.com> wrote:

They'd have to update it regularly too - which is more than can be said for
a lot of places. The picture of my house is over 5 years old, since it
doesn't show an extension which was built 5 years ago!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Linea Recta

Sep 14, 2007, 4:02:00 PM9/14/07
"Roger Mills" <watt....@googlemail.com> schreef in bericht

> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
> Seth Russell <russel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It's frustrating sometimes to get a big company like Google to do the
> > right thing. This is a case in point. The Earth needs a year by year
> > awareness of the melting Arctic ice cap. Yet Google refuses to show
> > it to us. The excuse goes something like "we only show images of land
> > masses and the arctic is not a land mass". The fix is easy ... change
> > that rule for the Arctic ... there are plenty of sources of imagery
> > available to Google.
> >
> > If anyone can direct me to a better place to post this to get Google
> > to fix it, please let me know.
> >
> > Seth Russell
> > http://fastblogit.com/seth
>
> They'd have to update it regularly too - which is more than can be said
for
> a lot of places. The picture of my house is over 5 years old, since it
> doesn't show an extension which was built 5 years ago!

Before long there will be no ice cap at all... problem solved.

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

GTD

Sep 14, 2007, 11:37:22 PM9/14/07
It'd be VERY expensive to do that, it would take LOADS of the $400
subscriptions to make up for it. Kinda much to ask of a service that is
vastly used for free. . .
How is your idea "the right thing"? How did this task become their
responsibility? It's surprising any company takes any steps forward when
people just use that as an excuse to bash them for not doing more, or
not taking up THEIR cause. .

Sep 15, 2007, 3:25:33 AM9/15/07
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:12:05 +0000, Seth Russell wrote:

> It's frustrating sometimes to get a big company like Google to do the
> right thing. This is a case in point. The Earth needs a year by year
> awareness of the melting Arctic ice cap. Yet Google refuses to show it
> to us. The excuse goes something like "we only show images of land
> masses and the arctic is not a land mass". The fix is easy ... change
> that rule for the Arctic ... there are plenty of sources of imagery
> available to Google.

It's better than that - google don't need to fix it, because they've made
it easy for you to fix it yourself: Simply add photo overlays linking this
easily available imagery, and submit it to the google earth community.
Then everyone who switches on the 'community' layer will be able to see
your data.

See http://bbs.keyhole.com/

Simon Slavin

Sep 16, 2007, 2:54:58 PM9/16/07
On 14/09/2007, Seth Russell wrote in message
<1189793525.9...@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>:

> The Earth needs a year by year
> awareness of the melting Arctic ice cap. Yet Google refuses to show
> it to us.

Google doesn's show /anywhere/ year by year. The pictures of the area
where I live are at least three years old. So even if Google treated
arctica the same way as populated areas of the world it wouldn't do
anything for you.

In addition, how do you expect Google to conduct its photographical survey
of the arctic area ? They can hardly fly planes from one landing strip to
another.

Simon.
--
http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk

Seth Russell

Sep 17, 2007, 2:20:09 PM9/17/07
On Sep 16, 11:54 am, Simon Slavin

<slavins.delete.these.four.wo...@hearsay.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 14/09/2007, Seth Russell wrote in message
> <1189793525.940048.122...@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>:

Google does not do most of the imaging of the Earth, it is done by
other outfits for various reasons. The same applies to the North
Pole. These are images available now from NASA.

Seth Russell
http://fastblogit.com/seth

b...@stgabrielorganics.com

Sep 28, 2018, 3:29:13 PM9/28/18
So, it's 2018 and the weather maps are accurate and the stars are all in place, but there's still no north pole. Either it already melted or Santa has his finger in the pie.

n0str0m0....@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2018, 3:36:11 AM10/11/18
nothing to do with "global warming". plenty to do with Mandela Effect. ALL old globes USED to show an ice cap on North Pole. no more. old and new alike show NOTHING - not to mention the NEWLY realigned continents, like EAST AMERICA (actually it is still called "south" but in reality had moved more than a thousand kilometres east). Australia moved as well. The North Pole is but a small fraction of all the disturbing changes. Fix the Mandela Effect - and the maps will go back to normal.

croy

Oct 11, 2018, 10:12:28 PM10/11/18
On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 12:29:12 -0700 (PDT), b...@stgabrielorganics.com wrote:

>So, it's 2018 and the weather maps are accurate and the stars are all in place, but there's still no north pole. Either it already melted or Santa has his finger in the pie.

I am curious as well. I thought GE was all about satellite photos. Those would certainly show
the ice-cap.

--
croy
Message has been deleted

rbsidneycr...@gmail.com

Nov 26, 2018, 6:27:49 PM11/26/18
On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 5:17:12 PM UTC-6, rbsidneycr...@gmail.com wrote:
> You can see most of Greenland but towards the edges where it's in the direction of the North pole when you zoom in it gets distorted like it wasn't rendered or being shown, but i can see a single tree in my aunts back yard right down to the bark and all the details. It just doesn't add up and has anyone looked at the South pole recently? It looks like Google Earth took a "white out" applicator and "blacked out" parts of the surrounding ocean and it looks like they put fake ice in places. The "blacked out" places have icebergs floating but no detail or texture like all the other parts of Antarctica or places with snow in general. The water color changes from blue to black pretty much the whole way around it. Hopefully y'all will take a look. Also if they do all the detail and ridge lines on the ocean floor why can't the slap ice up there at the top. They show Antarctica as mostly ice so why can they show it? Or is it actually not there and they're just hiding being "We only show land masses"?

valf...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2020, 1:46:32 PM3/21/20
It is not a Google thing. It is a US government thing. Study some history.